• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft II Story Discussion Thread (spoilers)

jaxword

It occurs to me that Metzen said Starcraft 2 is a story about a guy and a girl.

This means that Kerrigan's entire character is based around what he knows and thinks about women.

This may explain a lot.

After finishing the campaign, I really wonder now how Blizzard is gonna pull off the Heart of the Swarm. Will Kerrigan still control the zerg? Or will you play as another "villain" type character.

IceMarker

BlueScrote said:
After finishing the campaign, I really wonder now how Blizzard is gonna pull off the Heart of the Swarm. Will Kerrigan still control the zerg? Or will you play as another "villain" type character.
My guess is Kerrigan has lost all her power and is going to regain it to fight the hybrids, she can now use her control over the swarm for good!

Dennis

Banned
MrMister said:
My guess is Kerrigan has lost all her power and is going to regain it to fight the hybrids, she can now use her control over the swarm for good!
Yep, thats the way I see it too. In order to fight the overwhelming power of the enemy she must use her power over the zerg to build up an army to fight the hybrids, all for the good of humanity.

That is what the next game will be about, Kerrigan will be the lead character like Raynor was for this game. There will be much dramatic tension and heartbreak as Raynor disagrees with Kerrigans decision to reenter the Swarm.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
MrMister said:

And now they have a story excuse as to why the hell Kerrigan would be starting with just zerglings for units.

Just finished the game earlier today and I completely hated that Tychus was killed at the end. He was the only character I cared about, to the extent that if he comes back as a villain in one of the expansions, I'll cherish the opportunity to kick Raynor's ass for his lack of loyalty.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Pachinko said:
Am I the only one rather alarmed at the insane difficulty spike in the final stage ? It's the only time in this entire game I've lost , and to make it sting worse I've screwed up 3 times now. Right after the second time kerrigan attacks I'm just overwhelmed by about 500 zerg units at the same time.

It's like, the game goes from being so pathetically easy I think I've gotten worse at it playing 25 stages to being even harder then any stage from the first game was. Or am I just playing it totally ass backwards on this level ?

Seems like I can avoid using the wipeout device until the artifact is charged to about 24% or so but man. I'm just really at a total loss for what I should do here other then going to bed and trying it tomorrow.
Well, I did all the game on hard. I took out their air offense so I was against the worms. I setup a trusty defence of famrs-bunker-siege tanks and I had a mobile squad of Battle cruisers and Valkyries to hunt down the worms and Kerrigan. Close to the end, I just moved all my troops to the upper platform and barely won the mission. :)

Pachinko

I finally beat it. Finally. Fuck.

Since I first posted that bitch fest about how much difficulty I was having I'd called a friend to see what he did , read some of the replies here and hunkered down for a couple solid attempts that I reloaded again and again at various points during the stage.

I was completely oblivious to my supreme fatal error that would have lost me the stage every single time no matter what I did.

That single fatal error ?

Well as I mentioned I did the burn the sky or whatever , the option to blow up the orbital platform that houses all the zerg air units. So I had nydus worms to deal with.

The major flaw in my battle plan was to only bother killing off the nydus worms inside or nearby my base, in fact I was almost completely ignoring even some of those close ones. How did a fail to notice this? I'm unsure, but as the game tells you during loading screens , AI controlled nydus worms pump out more and more units of stronger varieties the longer you allow them to live. So imagine if you will 3 worms popping up on the other end of the map at the 50% charged mark that I ignore until the 90% point. They basically spew out 20 hydras and 2 ultras at that point .

So don't be a moron like I was, I was so hard pressed to defend the 2 chokepoints by continually pumping crap into each section that I ignored why so many units were bombarding me for so long.

I actually ended up watching someones youtube playthrough of the stage before it clicked that was the specific problem with whatever it was I was trying to accomplish.

So for those wondering, here is what I did to finally finish the stage off with no issues whatsoever, copied almost entirely from that youtube video.

1- I had 2Xscv instead of auto gas so you have to click 3 seperate groups of 3 scvs and get them mining gas from the 3 plants, there are also 2 groups of 6 for each mineral field. In my case I built an extra 4 scv's for each mineral field and then 4 "floaters"
2- while the first things going on I added tech reactors to the 3 unit producing structures.
3- while the first 2 are going on I made sure 1 maruader was in each of the bunkers at the 2 choke points, as well any floating marines are bunkered down.
4- by the time this is all done I can start phase 2, send 2 scv's to each chokepoint from those 4 floaters. At each choke point build 2 more bunkers close to the first 1, load the other 2 marauders, 1 in each on both choke points and fill these 6 total (3 on each side) bunkers with marines, then have the scvs wall off with 3 or 4 perdition turrets on the 2 entrances on the left and the 3 entrances on the right as well as the zerg dampener in my case, if you chose the mind control device then use it instead I suppose
5- at the same time have the factory build 8 seige tanks, send 4 into siege mode just behind the bunkers at each choke point.
6- as well, build an extra couple of battle cruisers and have them gaurd the artifact, followed by filling up the starports build que with banshees
7-at this point in time you are probably maxing out your supply, so in my case I had the orbital drop supply depot for instant building. Grab an scv from econ or even build 1 extra and have it make like 8 supply depots or however many it takes to get 200 supply. You'll need it
8-if you have any extra money at any time make sure to remember to research upgrades, I always go weapons then armor
9- keep atleast 1 scv floating around each chokepoint to have things repair
10- make sure to check the command center every minute to keep launching mules into the mineral fields, this stage gives you way more money then you can spend (on normal atlesat)
11- call down the mercenary banshees and make sure that you have atleast 8 total regular ones
12- somewhere in the middle of this you'll get the first nydus canal alert, use the banshee squad to kill any the seige tanks don't cook
13- build the battle cruiser squad up to 6 total and again, keep 'em gaurding the artefact
14- to prepare for the eventual overlord rush, if you don't simply want to use the nova storm, you will have to have had a single SCV, perhaps the same one that built yoru supply depots, go around and scatter 5-6 bunkers all over your base, keep even a single marine in each and you should be able to fight off the overlords.
15- finally dealing with kerrigan- wait until she's used the float kill move on somethign then have your battle cruisers mass yamato her, in my case the mess of seige tanks, bunkered units and perdition turrets got her 75% dead before a yamato blast even hit her, she sholdn't pose a threat if you followed the directions above
16- obviously very important but keep an eye on those choke points, any destroyed perdition turrets, bunkers or seige tanks need to be replaced asap, siege tanks especially, above I mention having atleast 4 on each side (which gives you 5 total with the 1 you start with) it works even better to have 6-8 at all times, but build things up evenly you can't overbuild in 1 area without suffering in others.
17- Last but not least , as I got ravens instead of science vessels and ravens are actually kind of shyite in single player, it's not a bad idea to float your banshee squad over an idling scv after each nydus strike to heal it up
18- as well, some final base defense stuff I did that probably wouldn't lose the match if you ignored it- that same scv that built all the supply depots and then nearly empty bunkers? have it go around and scatter 6-8 perdition turrets around your base near structures and while your at it , building a couple extra bunkers and perdition turrets on the artifact's plateau can't hurt either

So I basically just kept up with everything and it honestly never felt difficult doing the stage this way, to think , all this time I was just ignoring a basic issue in the level. Not killing the source of 80% of all the enemies on the map. Even the last % went well, I think 8 nydus worms pop up in your base at the same time, kerrigan shows up and all the purple zerg rush you all at the same time and the worms all died before spawning units, kerrigan was dead before she killed more then 1 turret and the purple all got killed.

I'm extremely content to be finished with this now.

Even if it did go to "90%", my wall of bunkers and siege tanks didn't allow so much as a single zergling to even touch me. also put some scv's there on exclusive repair duty and you hardly have to do anything during that mission.

Any nydlus worm is swiftly dealt with by a pack of banshees.

In fact, since air support is out of the question, banshees are pretty much godlike in that mission if you went without the air bases.

edit:

But I'll admit to only playing it on normal so far. Hard shouldn't be that much extra trouble though. Brutal is something I would not consider a fair fight to begin with. :p

Neo Child

Banned
finished the story, althought i liked it i really hope that the expansion introduces loads of new characters and an extended storyline with more important things happening. Y'know, Duke, Kerrigan, Mengsk, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Duran... loads of folk we're introduced in SC1 and loads of folk died.... I hope they bring that level of awesomeness back!

Haunted

Lasthope106 said:
Just finished the game earlier today and I completely hated that Tychus was killed at the end. He was the only character I cared about, to the extent that if he comes back as a villain in one of the expansions, I'll cherish the opportunity to kick Raynor's ass for his lack of loyalty.
hos before bros, man.

wait what

Haunted

DennisK4 said:
Yep, thats the way I see it too. In order to fight the overwhelming power of the enemy she must use her power over the zerg to build up an army to fight the hybrids, all for the good of humanity.

That is what the next game will be about, Kerrigan will be the lead character like Raynor was for this game. There will be much dramatic tension and heartbreak as Raynor disagrees with Kerrigans decision to reenter the Swarm.
Also, this is an easy setup to make you fight against all other races again
  • vs Zerg: weakened Kerrigan has to fight against other Zerg which went out of control to regain her dominance over them (early game)
  • vs Terran: Mengsk or Raynor disagree and oppose Kerrigan's return to the swarm (early and mid game)
  • vs Protoss: go crazy when they see any Zerg anyway (mid and late game)
  • vs Hybrids: Zergtoss need some wiping out (late game)

jaxword

Lasthope106 said:

You didn't know Tychus was going to betray Raynor from the start? Even with every character, from Tosh to Horner, hinting at it? And after Tychus even tries to mutiny? And then it's revealed Tychus was working for the enemy?

I'm not sure what "lack of loyalty" you refer to as Raynor still trusted Tychus after actually being betrayed.

ArjanN

jaxword said:
You didn't know Tychus was going to betray Raynor from the start? Even with every character, from Tosh to Horner, hinting at it? And after Tychus even tries to mutiny? And then it's revealed Tychus was working for the enemy?

I'm not sure what "lack of loyalty" you refer to as Raynor still trusted Tychus after actually being betrayed.

Yeah, Tychus betrayal was obvious from the opening cutscene alone.

And it's just as obvious that he isn't really dead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Haunted said:
Also, this is an easy setup to make you fight against all other races again
  • vs Zerg: weakened Kerrigan has to fight against other Zerg which went out of control to regain her dominance over them (early game)
  • vs Terran: Mengsk or Raynor disagree and oppose Kerrigan's return to the swarm (early and mid game)
  • vs Protoss: go crazy when they see any Zerg anyway (mid and late game)
  • vs Hybrids: Zergtoss need some wiping out (late game)
Actually, I suspect we will continue to fight this Ulrezaj's armies, like how we fought the Tal'darim in the first game: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Ulrezaj

jaxword

ArjanN said:
Yeah, Tychus betrayal was obvious from the opening cutscene alone.

And it's just as obvious that he isn't really dead.

Tychus will return as Metzen is stuck in a writing corner, goes over a few forum threads and realizes people still talk about him. Then he will return with Zerg/Xel'Naga magic.

Arthrus

Raynor's descent from redneck rebel to crazy, selfish, drunken anti-hero was my favourite part of the story (Tychus excluded because Tychus >>>>>>>> Tosh >>>> everyone else).

jaxword said:
Tychus will return as Metzen is stuck in a writing corner, goes over a few forum threads and realizes people still talk about him. Then he will return with Zerg/Xel'Naga magic.

Except there are no Zerg on Char to corrupt him.

The ending was badass. Until they walked off into the sunset, and nothing happened.

God, I was positive there would be something, SOMETHING else there, but that was seriously it.

Blizzard better make like 8 cinematics for the expansion, or Im going to be mildly, mildly, angry with them.

jaxword

Jamesfrom818 said:
Except there are no Zerg on Char to corrupt him.

Except for those that were buried 100000 meters underground. Or the ones incubating that weren't affected by the blast because of zerg larva magic. Or the flying ones that were out of range. Or the ones that whatever reason made up on the spot. It doesn't really matter, because they can make up anything at all when needed and retcon any inconvenient plot points.

Come on, that's how this industry works. It's pretty much the same as comic books for popularity and income determining character fates.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Xal-Shoota said:
The ending was badass. Until they walked off into the sunset, and nothing happened.

God, I was positive there would be something, SOMETHING else there, but that was seriously it.

Blizzard better make like 8 cinematics for the expansion, or Im going to be mildly, mildly, angry with them.

There was 4 CG cinematics in Wings oF Liberty. And we already knew about 2 of them for a few years. For you to expect 8 similar cinematics for Heart of the Swarm when we still havent seen one is crazy. .

Draft

Ferrio said:
You know I'd buy that if he wasn't hooked up to a suit monitoring all his vital signs.
Raynor knew about that suit a long time before they landed on Char.

I would bet serious money on the faked death theory. Raynor and Tychus make it look like Tychus got killed trying to shoot Kerrigan, but he's fine.

Serious money.

ArjanN

Draft said:

I would bet serious money on the faked death theory. Raynor and Tychus make it look like Tychus got killed trying to shoot Kerrigan, but he's fine.

Serious money.

This. They had plenty of time to figure some way of gettng around how the suit. They could have just jammed the signal or any number of pseudo-scientific explanations. Way more likely scenario than him getting magically revived by Zerg/Protoss.

Also, it totally sets itself up for a scenario where Raynor is about to be killed by Mensk, then *surprise* Tychus bursts through a wall and saves the day.

duckroll

The bar brawl probably short circuited parts of the suit, allowing Swann to reverse engineer or deactivate parts of it without Mengsk being aware.

[Nintex]

Draft said:

Serious money.
Yeah Tychus is Terran, there's probably 10 medivacs floating around for every marine.

KaYotiX

Banned
ArjanN said:
This. They had plenty of time to figure some way of gettng around how the suit. They could have just jammed the signal or any number of pseudo-scientific explanations. Way more likely scenario than him getting magically revived by Zerg/Protoss.

Also, it totally sets itself up for a scenario where Raynor is about to be killed by Mensk, then *surprise* Tychus bursts through a wall and saves the day.

This, he will bust in and say "Looks like you could use some help JIMMY" :D :D Gotta love Tychus LOL

duckroll

[Nintex] said:
Yeah Tychus is Terran, there's probably 10 medivacs floating around for every marine.

I actually saw something like this the other day. Played a 2v2 where some really shitty planning on my part (it was late and I kinda zoned out while attacking early in the game and completely forgot about managing my base or expanding) allowed 2 terran players to build up a HUGE army of 60-80 marines combined, a bunch of marauders in mixed in, and like 10+ medivacs hovering over the entire army. It was pretty scary. :lol

Draft said:

Serious money.

Yes 99% probability. If not they would never have mentioned the suit "thing" in the story.

paskowitz

My predictions:

Zerg expansion:
Zergtoss made one of two deals:
-Said to Mengsk "kill Kerrigan" and the human race will be spared"
-Said to Valarian "find these artifact pieces, zap dat biotch and you will be supa powerful"

Kerrigan will re-Zerg-ify to fight the Zergtoss, Raynor pissed because he won't get laid. Protoss still like WTF is going on, need more answers.

Protoss expansion:
All three races join together to kick some serious ass.

Vhalyar

DennisK4 said:

I certainly hope that Kerrigan will be at odds with Raynor, or at least be conflicted about her change into a human...ish thing/still a commanding presence of a violent swarm. Right now things are shaping up to be "the galaxy is in danger! let us unite as good guys and fight together like in WC3!", which is a shame. SC1's factions were the rebels on a mission, the conquering swarm and the self-preserving zealots, all with their own agenda and ambitions that put them at odds with each other.

And hopefully Blizzard will bring back the Cerebrates and once again give some voices to the swarm. The cerebrates were extremely well done and interesting, and now that Kerrigan (I assume) can't control everything on her own, it's the perfect time for her to make new ones.

Edit: As for unit progression, I hope it'll go down something like this:
Multiplayer SC2 units: Acquired normally each mission ("whoop, I'm stronger, got them roaches back under mah control")
SC1/BW units: Acquired by stumbling across/hunting down remnants of the Overmind's swarm and assimilating back things like lurkers and defilers.
New units: Engineered by cerebrates

I don't think Kerrigan will re-zergify. She will still have a psychic link with the Zerg collective (don't you guys watch Start Trek!!!) :)

So in next expansion she will be able to control just a small Zerg army and they will need to find ways to expand her control (probably alien artifacts again).

duckroll

NemesisPrime said:
I don't think Kerrigan will re-zergify. She will still have a psychic link with the Zerg collective (don't you guys watch Start Trek!!!) :)

So in next expansion she will be able to control just a small Zerg army and they will need to find ways to expand her control (probably alien artifacts again).

Nah, I definitely think she'll "re-zergify" as long as that means returning to being the Queen of Blades. Her design is too iconic to fuck around with. It won't make for a very interesting campaign visually if you're controlling a human female wearing a space suit or whatever, controlling an army of zerg. That would be insulting to the fans.

We want to control her as a human shaped super zerg warrior with awesome wings and cool melee and range special skills. Blizzard isn't going to let us down in that aspect. As you progress through the campaign, you will get access to more zerg units, just like in the terran campaign, but Kerrigan herself should get stronger and have cooler visual and gameplay upgrades as well.

Bisnic

I don't think she will "rezergify", if she was, what was the whole point in going to Char in 1st place? It would be like a giant slap in the face.

The way i see it, she will still be able to somewhat control (some) of them in her human/zerg hair form and will try to control more & more of them WHILE keeping her human sanity during the whole expansion. So that way humans, zergs & protoss will fight against the Hybrids/Fallen One in the 3rd expansion.

At worst, she will go back to her Queen of Blades form, but will be Sarah Kerrigan.

duckroll

Well I don't know what "rezergify" is intended to mean in this particular context, but I'm 100% sure that the Queen of Blades design will stick in the expansion. No one wants to play as human Kerrigan controlling zerg armies. We want to play as the Queen of Blades. Obviously she will retain her humanity and no longer act like some rabid dog trying to destroy the galaxy, but her infested design is too iconic to be gone forever.

Bisnic

I just hope Blizzard will give us something, even a small teaser, at Blizzcon 2010.

I don't want this to be all about Cataclysm(i'm 99% sure we will see the CG intro, because that's all we are missing so far) or Diablo 3. Give us something for Heart of the Swarm too!

Draft

I think Kerrigan keeps the Zerg dreads but the otherwise human appearance and goes back to Ghost look/gear.

duckroll said:
Well I don't know what "rezergify" is intended to mean in this particular context, but I'm 100% sure that the Queen of Blades design will stick in the expansion. No one wants to play as human Kerrigan controlling zerg armies. We want to play as the Queen of Blades. Obviously she will retain her humanity and no longer act like some rabid dog trying to destroy the galaxy, but her infested design is too iconic to be gone forever.

Hence the dreads so they can still zoom in on here face :)

I think the alien body and skeletal wings will not return.

duckroll

Draft said:
I think Kerrigan keeps the Zerg dreads but the otherwise human appearance and goes back to Ghost look/gear.

Terrible idea. I'll boycott the expansion for sure if that's the case.
(by stating vocally on the internet how displeased I am, and then lining up to get the game on day 1 at a launch event again.) :(

Draft

I don't think they would have made her 90% human looking just to put her back into crab form for HotS.

Here's a thought: maybe that's one of the metagame concepts in HotS. Let the player decide if he wants to take Kerrigan down a Ghost path or a QoBs path, and that decision results in her appearance changing. Obviously keeps her out of most of the prerendered stuff, but I think that would be a pretty neat idea.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of special abilities Kerrigan is granted. I'm thinking Blizzard should get creative (for Blizzard, anyway) and give her some sort of Paladin-esque aura (upgradable via quests) that powers up the Zerg in a set radius around her.

Actually getting to harvest different species into the swarm's gene pool would be really cool if we get to do that, too. I know the game's mainly going to be about terrans and protoss and zerg, but it'd be kinda neat to have that as well.
Draft said:
I don't think they would have made her 90% human looking just to put her back into crab form for HotS.

Here's a thought: maybe that's one of the metagame concepts in HotS. Let the player decide if he wants to take Kerrigan down a Ghost path or a QoBs path, and that decision results in her appearance changing. Obviously keeps her out of most of the prerendered stuff, but I think that would be a pretty neat idea.
Agreed - my guess is that, if Blizzard chose to do this, that'd mainly be a gameplay decision and it certainly wouldn't result in multiple endings, but would be a cool way to keep gameplay quite varied between playthroughs. Some kind of crazy 'ultimate' abilities for either path like a mass AoE Lockdown or some sort of mobile version of Dark Swarm would be pretty damn cool.

Draft

badcrumble said:
Agreed - my guess is that, if Blizzard chose to do this, that'd mainly be a gameplay decision and it certainly wouldn't result in multiple endings, but would be a cool way to keep gameplay quite varied between playthroughs. Some kind of crazy 'ultimate' abilities for either path like a mass AoE Lockdown or some sort of mobile version of Dark Swarm would be pretty damn cool.
There's no way they'll do multiple endings.

Maybe we'll get a Kerrigan paper doll, and just straight up item slots. You can either equip the rifle, or big ass arm blades. Shoulder pads that give her Ultralist style armor, or a cloaking device. Shit like that.

Draft said:
There's no way they'll do multiple endings.

Maybe we'll get a Kerrigan paper doll, and just straight up item slots. You can either equip the rifle, or big ass arm blades. Shoulder pads that give her Ultralist style armor, or a cloaking device. Shit like that.
It's tougher to design gameplay around that kind of freedom (as opposed to two fairly set upgrade paths) but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing an inventory-style approach (possibly with the ability to level up individual such items, like cloaking device -> cloaking costs no energy -> ability to cast a cloaking field on nearby allied units, for example). I prefer to have that sort of freedom if game designers are actually willing to give it to us.

Draft

badcrumble said:
It's tougher to design gameplay around that kind of freedom (as opposed to two fairly set upgrade paths) but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing an inventory-style approach (possibly with the ability to level up individual such items, like cloaking device -> cloaking costs no energy -> ability to cast a cloaking field on nearby allied units, for example). I prefer to have that sort of freedom if game designers are actually willing to give it to us.
That would be awesome. I think having Kerrigan as a sort of WC3 style hero unit in every campaign mission would be great.

Top Bottom