• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II World Championship Series 2013 - Season 3 Finals

SamuraiX-

ibtjqgCfSqZwMu.jpg

The 2013 WCS Season 3 Finals is the final event of the third season of the 2013 StarCraft II World Championship Series and will be held at the Toronto Congress Center from October 25th to 27th. 16 players will compete, qualifying through the 3 regional events: top 6 players of WCS America as the hosting region, top 5 players of WCS Europe, and top 5 players of WCS Korea. The event will be hosted by Day[9] and Soe, and will be casted by MrBitter, RotterdaM, Gretorp, Goswser and Clutch.

The players enter four dual-tournament style groups, where only two move on to the next round of competition. From there on out, the 8 remaining players must challenge each other in a single elimination bracket for a share in $150,000 and 17,000 WCS Points.

Format

• Group Stage
    - Four groups consisting of four players each are played in a dual tournament format with all matches being Best of 3.
    - 1st and 2nd place finishers advance to the Quarterfinals.
  • Playoffs
    - The top 8 players from the group stage will compete in a single-elimination bracket.
    - Quarterfinals and semifinals are Best of 5 matches.
    - Finals will be a Best of 7 format.
Prize Pool

$150,000 and 17,000 WCS Points will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $40,000 + 3,000 WCS Points
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $20,000 + 2,000 WCS Points
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $10,000 + 1,500 WCS Points
  • 5th-8th Place - $7,500 + 1,000 WCS Points
  • 9th-12th Place - $5,000 + 750 WCS Points
  • 13th-16th Place - $5,000 + 500 WCS Points
Participants (Group Stage)

iXmUCWo0ABirF.png
ibxZYsq5Zqfx3V.png
i7dtzrHmUm6eZ.png
iFZgOk2Kx2bIE.png

Schedule

Results

Streams

Will watch although SC2 is dead, my own SC2 playtime died and apparently a good player lineup also didn't care enough to showup. It's like everyone I once appreaciated in this game is phoning his performance in.
Welp. Better start concentrating on your education again kids.

SamuraiX-

I could see combinations of two of any of the four in Groups A and B advancing to the quarterfinals. Complete toss up. My heart tells me Polt + Soulkey and MMA + Jaedong will advance, but guys like MC, Hack, Genius and Trap are such huge wild cards that you can never know what to expect from them.

I think VortiX definitely makes it out of Group C. ZvP is arguably his best matchup and he's had plenty of practice with it in WCS Europe so you could say that he's in an ideal situation with 3 Protoss players in his group. Dear's gotta be the other one who makes it out. He's just been on a hot streak this season.

Group D is hilarious to me because it feels like they threw all the outcasts/underdogs in that group - players nobody expected would ever been in this position at the beginning of the year but they all came out of nowhere and shocked the world with their runs in WCS AM, EU and KR over the past couple of seasons. My money's on Maru and ByuL advancing.

I'll actually pretty excited for this. I feel like we're gonna see a lot of fun and intense games. :D

peakish

I few tournaments ago I defended the final game cheese by saying that epic holds really raise the excitement factor. Thank you for this, Polt.

survivor

Banned
Wait, what just happened in game 3? Hack was down in supply by around 20, I went away and came back seeing Hack up by 50 pushing at Polt's base. Crazy game.

WTF I missed the last 2 games and Polt lost both of them O_O!

Well MC or Soulkey should be taking out Hack and Polt has a comeback chance in the losers match.

MC please win!

Really can't garner any excitement for this, and I hope this is the last WCS for awhile; it's a rather odd, poorly strategized tournament that sucked the life out of the scene IMO. What's the point of being the "champion" of something if another tournament starts literally a week after you win the "season?"

Also I can't say I like the fact that Koreans can simply enter whatever region they want. Obviously the NA scene sucks and needs to do better, but what's the point of crowning regional champions who don't live in the region? I'd be far more interested if more European players were involved. And yes, I do think Polt playing in the NA tournament is fine since he goes to school in the US.

I was excited about HOTS when it was released but since then I've pretty much stopped caring.

Mairu

Didn't expect MC to beat Soulkey.

NASL is competing with MLG for worst in-between game music and so far they're winning

Losing the Ghost Academy screwed over MMA. No EMP/Snipe sealed the deal.

Edit: Too bad MMA, too greedy trying to go 3CC without even scouting early.

Man besides MC, everyone I cheered for has lost. Well GO JAEDONG!

Edit: It looks like everyone who is being greedy today will lose their match lol.

It was wrong of Jaedong to leave the Roaches there with the Void Ray Overcharge on which killed most of them. The MSC was worthless after using its energy, should have focused it down last. Too bad Jaedong, should be a nice a match vs MMA in losers as one goes to play Trap or Genius and possibly get into RO8.

Goddamn, everyone I'm cheering for is losing. Polt, MMA, JD...

Well its not like they need to win as their spots in Blizzcon is set but they do want the points for better ranking and to make sure Naniwa would stay in the top 16.

Edit: HerO GO! Take out Dear and keep Naniwa alive!

WTF That was such a disgusting storm vs the probes but then HerO got the bad end of an engage. Too bad.

Vortix just played stupid in that game. More Ultras vs 7 Immortals.

Letting those Pheonix free run over his base was even worse. No Fungal or even Infested Terrans was SO STUPID!

Come on vortix!

Vortix just played stupid in that game. More Ultras vs 7 Immortals.

Letting those Pheonix free run over his base was even worse. No Fungal or even Infested Terrans was SO STUPID!

Such a strange decision, i felt like Oz overcommited to immortals too earl. Would have like to see a baneling bust when oz was going for the 3rd as well, but i'm a cheesy motherfucker.

Really can't garner any excitement for this, and I hope this is the last WCS for awhile; it's a rather odd, poorly strategized tournament that sucked the life out of the scene IMO. What's the point of being the "champion" of something if another tournament starts literally a week after you win the "season?"

Also I can't say I like the fact that Koreans can simply enter whatever region they want. Obviously the NA scene sucks and needs to do better, but what's the point of crowning regional champions who don't live in the region? I'd be far more interested if more European players were involved. And yes, I do think Polt playing in the NA tournament is fine since he goes to school in the US.

I was excited about HOTS when it was released but since then I've pretty much stopped caring.

They have already announced there won't be any global finals after each season next year. Also it looks like whilst there won't be a region lock there will probably some sort of soft region lock.

I agree about what WCS did to HOTS. Everyone was so excited especially after that big first MLG. Then WCS just brought this huge wave of negativity over the scene and the cloud still hasn't lifted.

Vortix should have all in'd there. He really delayed that pylon and oz's wall was terrible. Then it took him forever to get a sentry out. That plus he followed up with a stargate. Any mass ling or baneling attack and oz was dead.

Top Bottom