• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley's word of mouth sales seem insane

Meneses

While Twitch / Youtube probably helped a lot, that was not my case - I never watch any streamers (apart from ENB and only with "Souls" stuff).

I saw the GAF thread and the good impressions, checked it out on Steam and felt intrigued enough to buy it. I wonder how many people had similar experiences or even just bought it because they opened Steam and thought it looked cool.

FaintDeftone

I would love to play this but it just feels like something I would much rather play in mobile form. I would snatch this up in a second if it was on Vita or 3DS.

Purkake4

Banned
This is the system working, great game in an underrepresented niche, word of mouth advertising and sales to show for it.

Also, it's cheap enough that no one cares enough to wait for a sale.

Looks like a similar case on a bit smaller scale with Factorio as well.

Nice to see devs doing well when they make good games (it's also always nice to see surprises like this coming out of nowhere).

I haven't bought it yet though, the "optional combat" kinda puts me off (I'd rather they'd make either a HM style game or a RF style game, not some weird in-between), but I'll see...

I did watch quite a few videos though, and they're very entertaining (like the GB Quick Look).

Wilsongt

Nice to see devs doing well when they make good games (it's also always nice to see surprises like this coming out of nowhere).

I haven't bought it yet though, the "optional combat" kinda puts me off (I'd rather they'd make either a HM style game or a RF style game, not some weird in-between), but I'll see...

I did watch quite a few videos though, and they're very entertaining (like the GB Quick Look).

Only run into combat in the mines. It really is super limited.

Only run into combat in the mines. It really is super limited.

I know. But it still bothers me. I wanted the dev to either embrace combat or ditch it completely. I don't like this awkward in-between they made...

I'm fairly sure there was another game like this quite some time ago that I stopped playing for the same reason... idk, I don't like that >.>

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just watched GBs Quick Look so they're getting another one. Looks fantastic.

I'm so happy Dan got into it. He went like a million miles an hour to show off the game.

I know. But it still bothers me. I wanted the dev to either embrace combat or ditch it completely. I don't like this awkward in-between they made...

I'm fairly sure there was another game like this quite some time ago that I stopped playing for the same reason... idk, I don't like that >.>

You should play it. The combat is really not that different from the other activities in terms of gameplay. The fact that this game does it all is what is so amazing, because all of it is super fun and rewarding.

Feltrol

Banned
I'm hearing good things about this game, but all reviews focus on the idea that "if you liked Harvest Moon / Harvest Moon...". So my question is: I've never played a Harvest Moon before. Is it a good idea to try it out anyways?

Why is this game so good? Well, for starters, the cat's idle animation is a work of art.

(left side)
27FE562EFAB9E4D8584BA39538AD5662E218EBBE

Game is fantastic, as an HM fan it completely surpassed my expectations. I was following this game for more than a year... worth it.

I'm a horrible person... I won't buy it because the character portraits and names are awful... Will wait till someone releases a mod that allows your to really change the town's people.

Guess who just bought the game?

8AB7D3CB91B96060FD362D22C329F089E21310BD

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/cute-portraits.107756/

XNj6qnv.png

See, that didn't take long at all :)

No steam workshop support (yet, hopefully that changes) but there is apparently already a lot of mods available if you look hard enough.
http://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-mods/

Urthor

Between this and Undertale, I'm fully prepared to see any number of one man games that get released in oh, lets say, 12 months from now, that follow the copycat business of take some JRPG concepts and make them a fuck of a lot better than Japan ever did.

It's kinda endearing to see one man games knock it out of the park, but this guy must be some kind of a game development superhero, in an industry where being superhuman workaholic is normally the pre-requisite to getting employed.

Adnor

Banned
Guess who just bought the game?

8AB7D3CB91B96060FD362D22C329F089E21310BD

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/cute-portraits.107756/

XNj6qnv.png

See, that didn't take long at all :)

No steam workshop support (yet, hopefully that changes) but there is apparently already a lot of mods available if you look hard enough.
http://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-mods/

I can understand someone not liking the game artstyle, but I just can't understand how can anyone like those modded portraits.They're so bad. SO BAD.

Nzyme32

It's definitely a game I want to buy, but I also know the destructive power it will have over the time I am meant to be doing all manner of other stuff. Must. Resist. For. Now...

It's definitely a game I want to buy, but I also know the destructive power it will have over the time I am meant to be doing all manner of other stuff. Must. Resist. For. Now...

Time exists to be spent. You will learn this or collapse while trying, only in Stardew Valley.

Mivey

I can understand someone not liking the game artstyle, but I just can't understand how can anyone like those modded portraits.They're so bad. SO BAD.
Animu is hate, Animu is despair. Don't try to resist, you too will like it one day, and see how it fills more and more of your soul and replaces it with cliches, bad writing and scenery chewing.

Quonny

"I can understand someone not liking an artstyle but how can someone like an artstyle?"

Literally what you just said :lol

Adnor

Banned
Animu is hate, Animu is despair. Don't try to resist, you too will like it one day, and see how it fills more and more of your soul and replaces it with cliches, bad writing and scenery chewing.

It's not the fact that it's anime. It has horrible shading, there's no consistency in the size of the pixels, the shoulders are just weird, the eyebrows are ugly, the smile is too low, the nose is to small, the eyes are too far apart and also too low. It's just an ugly portrait.

EDIT: ^^^ Nah, I don't have a problem with anime portraits, I just find that particular portrait ugly.

studyguy

Cash left on the table by Marvelous/Xseed with Rune Factory/Seasons.

Fuck Natsume's bullshit HM offerings right now though.
Stardew is just capitalizing on a market that's been there forever but has never been catered to on PC as the expect. Most other offerings have been super half baked. Even Stardew has a lot I don't like about it, but it's basically next best thing so who am I to complain.

Kind of depressing to see no one talk about World's Dawn though...

Aww fuck bottom page'd.

Definitely wasn't feeling World's Dawn, I returned it before my 2hr was up.

I think the game first appearing on Greenlight when it was in right in the star helped a bit, many people discovered the game and started following development by reading the almost monthly updates ConcernedApe posted on the website. While SV is selling pretty well, it isn't the first one HM inspired game to hit Steam, before it's release we got Wild Season and World's Dawn but both game didn't get the sales or the word of mouth SV is getting.

I saw some members asking for a Animal Crossing style, there's Castaway Paradise though it's smaller in scope compared to Animal Crossing but still a fun and charming game.

She looks like she is 6 years old.

What ever floats your boat man.

Versus Friends of Mineral Town...

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_n4nng7CuRn1r1rn8qo1_500.jpg

This game is nostalgia fuel for people who grew up on Harvest Moon games, so instead of implying I'm a pedophile (classy BTW) maybe take it from that stand point.

I think the game first appearing on Greenlight when it was in right in the star helped a bit, many people discovered the game and started following development by reading the almost monthly updates ConcernedApe posted on the website. While SV is selling pretty well, it isn't the first one HM inspired game to hit Steam, before it's release we got Wild Season and World's Dawn but both game didn't get the sales or the word of mouth SV is getting.

I saw some members asking for a Animal Crossing style, there's Castaway Paradise though it's smaller in scope compared to Animal Crossing but still a fun and charming game.

Wow, I had no idea. I think I've been confusing both of those with Stardew Valley for quite some time.

I've been wondering why I thought SDV had some weird grimdark take on Harvest Moon, but it must have been one of those.

But yeah, it goes beyond just serving a niche. SDV is a great game all on its own, which is where this rapturous praise is coming from.

bomblord1

Banned
Versus Friends of Mineral Town...

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_n4nng7CuRn1r1rn8qo1_500.jpg

This game is nostalgia fuel for people who grew up on Harvest Moon games, so instead of implying I'm a pedophile (classy BTW) maybe take it from that stand point.

I'll be honest I bought the game and all its making me want to do is go buy friends of Mineral Town and play it again

studyguy

I personally hate the original art in Stardew Valley for character portraits. Anything is better than the original, mods alleviate that problem quick.
I get it's all personal taste, but w/e I just feel like it takes away from the HM style with the weird samefaces.

DuffDry

The biggest success of Stardew Valley is how it not only fills a huge hole left open by Natsume's lackluster effort with HM for over a decade, but that it fixes the franchise's biggest problem of nailing it across the board. The biggest issue with Harvest Moon is pretty much every game is great in some areas and bad in others. I've played a good deal of that series and Stardew Valley surpasses every single one of them.

studyguy

The biggest success of Stardew Valley is how it not only fills a huge hole left open by Natsume's lackluster effort with HM for over a decade, but that it fixes the franchise's biggest problem of nailing it across the board. The biggest issue with Harvest Moon is pretty much every game is great in some areas and bad in others. I've played a good deal of that series and Stardew Valley surpasses every single one of them.

I personally find the battle system way, way less inspired than Rune Factory's. It's not even close. The sheer number of things to do is definitely much better than a handheld HM or RF, but something like Rune Factory Frontier blows most of this out of the water. Not really a fair comparison though since there have been few offerings on consoles in recent times...

I'd like to see a sequel to it more than anything, but if nothing else I thank Stardew Valley for hopefully inspiring more HM/RF-esque titles on PC. Considering Natsume (non-Marvelous/Xseed game) is the only one dropping a shitty mobile port in the near future, it looks like we'll still be a while off though.

DuffDry

I personally find the battle system way, way less inspired than Rune Factory's. It's not even close. The sheer number of things to do is definitely much better than a handheld HM or RF, but something like Rune Factory Frontier blows most of this out of the water. Not really a fair comparison though since there have been few offerings on consoles in recent times...

I'd like to see a sequel to it more than anything, but if nothing else I thank Stardew Valley for hopefully inspiring more HM/RF-esque titles on PC. Considering Natsume (non-Marvelous/Xseed game) is the only one dropping a shitty mobile port in the near future, it looks like we'll still be a while off though.

To be fair, I haven't played Rune Factory, just the mainline HM games, so you're probably right.

I saw the Giant Bomb Quick Look. I'm familiar with HM64, and there's no doubt a lot in common. Still, it looks like a really good game. Seems there's more to do. Also the sound effects were great... the governer tasting the potluck... hitting a rock in the cave.

I'd dive in but... my backlog...

studyguy

To be fair, I haven't played Rune Factory, just the mainline HM games, so you're probably right.

I don't know how you feel about emulation, but it runs like a dream on even a toaster with Dolphin. It's definitely worth a shot, hell most any RF or Story of Seasons are worth a shot.

The one thing RF/MH might never be able to touch however is the sheer number of updates/mods that are dropping on this game though. There are always some smallish bugs in these games and eventually a point where you go... well I guess that's it! Being able to have content patched in is like the most amazing concept for this genre.

Chris R

How much combat is required to do well when it comes to the farming? Or can I ignore the combat all together and just focus on farming/improving the farm?

Hedge

That artstyle doesn't look great in screenshots. Maybe it looks better in motion.
Anyway, I've never played a farming game, but it sounds charming. I think I'll see a few intro vids of it and see how it works.

I can say it definitely looks much better in motion.

Yeah, there's a certain ambiance that screenshots don't capture. It's a lot more animated and lively than a lot of games, particularly sprite-based stuff.

It also does that cool Harvest Moon thing of cutting the music when it's raining. I've always liked that.

Jintor

Oh yeah the sound effects are freaking amazing. Even just browsing the menu makes me happy, let alone the ambience of the world, doors slamming, birds chirping, whatever. All great.

hampig

How much combat is required to do well when it comes to the farming? Or can I ignore the combat all together and just focus on farming/improving the farm?

A bit, the combat is a big part of the mining, which you'll need to do to upgrade your tools, which is necessary to have a big farm. You could probably go until the end of summer, buy a really good sword, and swoop through ~40 floors of the mine pretty easily. Either way the combat is simple and fast, not too bad.

Top Bottom