• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley's word of mouth sales seem insane

kvn

It'll most likely be ported by the use of FNA I'm sure. Basically all games made in XNA in the past that are now on other platforms have been ported with this such as Terraria, Rogue Legacy, Axiom Verge, Fez, etc. This is what Terraria used. So yeah it'll happen when it happens.

Oh true you're right, I totally forgot that.

Gurrry

Its obviously a great game, but this just goes to show the power of twitch IMO. Getting your game played by some of the bigger named streamers goes a very long way.

I hadnt heard about the game until I saw it being streamed, im still on the fence personally, but I wouldnt have even considered the purchase without seeing it on the top 10 games for twitch.

Nibel

I mean the game is great and deserves its success but let's not pretend that Chucklefish/Starbound/Terraria muscle power didn't help
wtzgU.gif

Itachi87

I mean the game is great and deserves its success but let's not pretend that Chucklefish/Starbound/Terraria muscle power didn't help
wtzgU.gif
I'm actually curious as to what the full extent Chucklefish's involvement in this game is. They're the publisher, so I'm guessing they helped fund a portion of the game, but other than that what else did they help with?

LordAmused

I'm actually curious as to what the full extent Chucklefish's involvement in this game is. They're the publisher, so I'm guessing they helped fund a portion of the game, but other than that what else did they help with?

I've been following the game since ConcernedApe started development, back in 2012. It is only last year near October/November if I remember correctly that he made contact with a publisher.

It's a one-man game, Chucklefish only helped with the release preparation, Steam Page and such.

As someone who will live and die by Friends of Mineral Town, what makes Stardew Valley so good? None of the subsequent HM games captivated me as much as FOMT. Rune Factory series even less.

I've been following the game since ConcernedApe started development, back in 2012. It is only last year near October/November if I remember correctly that he made contact with a publisher.

It's a one-man game, Chucklefish only helped with the release preparation, Steam Page and such.

I recently heard an interesting interview with ConcernedApe (http://community.playstarbound.com/...oncernedape-saturday-2nd-march-8pm-cet.15312/) from 2013. The interview is a little awkward but it was still interesting and informative. He does mention Chucklefish helping out with his website and some other things. No idea if they helped fund development though.

Bluth54

This is a bit of a weird reason to support a developer. If the game sells 1,000,000 copies the guy will stand to make $15m, which is all well and good but if anyone needs support its probably the games with larger teams that don't sell as many copies.

Anyways added Stardew Valley to my wishlist. Looks awesome! It looks like Sim Farm and Terraria.
If the game sells a million copies he wont make $15 Million, Valve takes a 30% cut of any game sold on Steam, plus regional pricing may be different. Still he would make several million dollars with a million copies sold.

As someone who will live and die by Friends of Mineral Town, what makes Stardew Valley so good? None of the subsequent HM games captivated me as much as FOMT. Rune Factory series even less.

It adds elements of Animal Crossing and Rune Factory along with a great crafting system.

It must be so gratifying to work on something for so long and have it succeed in such a huge way. Really happy for ConcernedApe.

SerTapTap

This is one of those "WHY HAVEN"T WE BEEN MAKING THIS" things for me and I'm so glad it's been successful. Natsume has been kinda screwing it up for years.

Falk

that puzzling face
Regardless of how much it was a perfect storm of overlapping factors, the success is so ridiculously well-deserved.

Smaller teams tend to have a more focused vision when it comes to games. When that gets brought to its extreme and the entire game is one person, the concept really, really comes through.

That, and it's a sheer joy to play. The art, music, gameflow and even the feel of combat, simplistic as it is, are all beyond simply just functional - they're great.

This is a bit of a weird reason to support a developer. If the game sells 1,000,000 copies the guy will stand to make $15m, which is all well and good but if anyone needs support its probably the games with larger teams that don't sell as many copies.
Uhh, weird logic. Also,
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

At the simplest level, buy games you like.

Granjinha

Really happy for him. Still haven't bought the game, but i plan to. Things like this and undertale make me smile.

Also, a lot of these games have been doing well on pc, huh? SUPERHOT sold over 100k. Firewatch 200k. Factorio and Grim Dawn seem to have sold well too.

Mercador

Do you know if we can change the language? My daughter is a fan of Harvest Moon but she can't read English.

I don't think many people deny the selling power of Twitch these days, but I wonder how many copies of this game it sold by itself. There was some absurd number of people watching it across various channels the other day, and all of a sudden it seemed like it was everywhere. I actually watched someone play for about 10 minutes, turned off the stream and bought it immediately. I could tell just from watching that tiny bit that this was something that I was going to enjoy feeding a large chunk of my free time to.

Wilsongt

I don't think many people deny the selling power of Twitch these days, but I wonder how many copies of this game it sold by itself. There was some absurd number of people watching it across various channels the other day, and all of a sudden it seemed like it was everywhere. I actually watched someone play for about 10 minutes, turned off the stream and bought it immediately. I could tell just from watching that tiny bit that this was something that I was going to enjoy feeding a large chunk of my free time to.

It's overwhelming support on Twitch probably most definitely drove up sales. I personally bought two copies, for a friend and I, based on GAF, but watching gameplay on Twitch has given me a lot of ideas on how I want to build up my farm, etc.

inky

Yea, it really seems like the FOTM game on Twitch.

Always encouraging to see small devs get awesome sales of course.

QaaQer

Think it comes down to a few main things:

1. PC gamers have been wanting a game like this for a while. It's amazing it took so long and that the franchise holders for HM or Rune Factory didn't take advantage of the desire for this sort of game in a post Minecraft and Terraria world.
2. Console gamers don't get access to the genre either very much with the genre relegated to handhelds, and it is low spec and simple enough to control that it gets buyers that might prefer to play it on console but don't want to wait.
3. The genre itself over the past half dozen years has gotten stale. Even the better quality games tend to be more on the decent side rather than good.
4. It feels more like an actual new competitor in the genre rather than an imitator or clone given it is a lot better than most other series have been for ages.
5. They priced the game well, similar to Undertale last year.

This goes to show that there are unserved audiences in gaming.

I think there is a real opportunity for a non-f2p, non-nintendo Animal Crossing style game. Harvest Moon is popular, but it isn't in the same league as AC. And when I look at PC, Android, iOS, and PS; I see nothing filling that AC niche. And even on Nintendo hardware, there is nothing on home console and the handheld releases are few and far between.

Idk why it is not of interest to devs. :shrug:

Top Bottom