• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has exceeded 1 million concurrent players across all platforms (Xbox, Windows, Steam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keihart

if its concurrent, which idk how would you meassure besides the steam metric, its a fuckton lot of players for any game, even free ones.

Godot25

Banned
1 million "players"? Well, they have at least 30 million Gamepass subscribers...
Yeah. And I'm sure that everybody just waited at the launch time and started to play the game at once...
...since it was at 2AM in our time zone...
...in middle of the work week...

Forza Horizon 5 had 10 million players at the first week. That's the number Starfield should shoot for.

MrTired

Banjo64

cumsessed
A decent number, however for context Halo 3 achieved 1+ million concurrent players on the 360 alone.
And to access the game you had to buy it (obviously you could rent it from places but they had to purchase a copy), there wasn't cheap access option like gamepass back then. Really goes to show how big Halo was at its peak.
You had to buy it on top of paying for your annual subscription for Gold.

MrTired

You had to buy it on top of paying for your annual subscription for Gold.
To be fair Gold wasn't mandatory, but could be argued it was a necessity. And yes there was no upgrade to Ultimate £1/$1 deal.
Just goes to show how Big Halo truly was. The 360 had sold less than the Series and One to this point as well.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Even with such a good news some people still have weird takes here.

Remembers me at this

200w.gif
The thirst to downplay anything Starfield achieves is palpable.

10 million players
"Meh, one in 3 Gamepass players took a look at the title screen"

30 million players
"Meh, easy to be done when nobody has to buy the game"

100 million players
"Meh, they need that many players for 6.5bn lol"

8 Billion players
"Slightly ironic that a game about space travel doesn't get played anywhere but the planet earth, right?"

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Hmm interesting.

So 250k on steam + 750k on Xbox?

I expected more tbh. Maybe the player count will increase during the weekend.

Last edited:

saintjules

Sales number/player count threads for new releases are absolutely valid. New news, new thread.
Learning how many players are on a platform means nothing ultimately as these threads die out within a day or so. OK, we have 1 million players playing the game. What does that do for us?

I kinda wish there was a threadmark feature. Can highlight important posts in a long driven thread versus multiple threads. Then it can keep all valid comments under one section.

Last edited:

twilo99

Can’t be accurate

I think that is actually a good number especially considering how fickle XBOX gamers can be and for the fact that this is technically an exclusive.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Why would you expect 3 million concurrent players? That’s absurd.

Because I was listening to you.

A big single player Bethesda RPG will always be in the conversation for GOTY. It's an event game. Something few games can classify themselves as. Whether it wins those awards is irrelevant though. What matters is that Starfield will be the first tentpole release for Xbox in ages. It's in a different stratosphere compared to their output over the past 10 years.

poodaddy

I think that is actually a good number especially considering how fickle XBOX gamers can be and for the fact that this is technically an exclusive.
How are Xbox gamers anymore "fickle" than any of the other people playing games on their plastic box filled with silicon?

StereoVsn

It's still a work weekday, so it should go higher. However, I think sales just aren't going to be great, looks like GamePass is where most of the players went. Which may actually be fine for MS.

Of course there are some Xbox sales (also allowing for PC cross play), but thats almost impossible to estimate.

Kacho

Because I was listening to you.
Everything I said was accurate. It’s very much a tentpole game and 1 million concurrent players is MASSIVE. Still doesn’t explain why your potato brain was expecting 3 million concurrent players.

Thyuda

Everything I said was accurate. It’s very much a tentpole game and 1 million concurrent players is MASSIVE. Still doesn’t explain why your potato brain was expecting 3 million concurrent players.
How is 3 million an unrealistic expectation for a huge game like Starfield? Aren't there currently around 30 million game pass subscribers? So every 10th sub would have to play the game at the same time.

Doesn't seem outlandish.

Kilau

I don’t know what to expect for MS games anymore. This also being single player (thank God) will effect concurrent numbers.

Godot25

Banned
1M sales for day one would ok-ish. 1M CCU considering most of them must be from GP doesn't sound that good.
Ehh. Game sold 2+ million Premium Edition copies (or Game Pass Premium upgrades) before it was released according to PlayTracker.

So...is it a success?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The only way a game can hit those numbers is if it's MP game going viral or if a game gets extremely strong reviews and word of mouth and keeps going up on 2nd and 3rd weekend.

Elden Ring got that and to lesser extent BG3, but of course they didn't get to 3ml concurrent (although wonder what was ER total across all platforms).

Godot25

Banned
I don’t know what to expect for MS games anymore. This also being single player (thank God) will effect concurrent numbers.
Just wait for a week.
Forza Horizon 5 was best launch in Xbox history and it had 10 million players in first week.
That's probably number to shoot for.

Kilau

Just wait for a week.
Forza Horizon 5 was best launch in Xbox history and it had 10 million players in first week.
That's probably number to shoot for.
It will definitely get to 10 million and beyond but it wouldn’t surprise me if took longer.

clarky

Gold Member
It will definitely get to 10 million and beyond but it wouldn’t surprise me if took longer.
I think they use x5 CCU to estimate the total number of players on steam so if the same applies to gamepass/xbox they are already at 5 million ish.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I expected way more. 3 million players at least. Perhaps I bought into the hype too much?
I don’t think any game other than Fortnite has 3M concurrent players (and Fortnite’s count is based on a third party source)

CS:GO has just below 1M and is the largest game on Steam. Maybe your expectations were a bit too high?

Tomeru

The hyuge sales just mean there are plenty bathesda fans. Which is fine.

Diablo 4 is also a critical success.

Kacho

How is 3 million an unrealistic expectation for a huge game like Starfield? Aren't there currently around 30 million game pass subscribers? So every 10th sub would have to play the game at the same time.

Doesn't seem outlandish.
Because it ignores the reality of the market.

The only way a game can hit those numbers is if it's MP game going viral or if a game gets extremely strong reviews and word of mouth and keeps going up on 2nd and 3rd weekend.

Elden Ring got that and to lesser extent BG3, but of course they didn't get to 3ml concurrent (although wonder what was ER total across all platforms).
Elden Ring was was probably a bit north of 2 million if I had to guess. Probably had a similar concurrent player count on PlayStation. Doubt Xbox even hit 200k.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Because it ignores the reality of the market.

Elden was was probably a bit north of 2 million if I had to guess. Probably had a similar concurrent player count on PlayStation. Doubt Xbox even hit 200k.
Yeah, ER is probably as good as it gets with SP games basically unless GTA VI hits but even then there is GTA Online.

DaGwaphics

Good to see people enjoying it. Nice to see it sneaking in to the top 5 on Xbox as well, those old evergreens are practically impenetrable on the most played list.

Metnut

I’m surprised it didn’t beat Baldur’s Gate 3 by more despite being on more platforms and being “free” on Gamepass. Have to think Microsoft was hoping for a better reception here.

I just went to earth for the first time to survey it. I was surprised to find out that "space" isn't just a billboard of a planet. It's a dynamic sky box, it is just really empty and things are apart (like real space).

I originally went to the moon (Luna), and while I was in orbit (i know not technically in orbit) I saw that the Earth was behind the horizon. I got the idea to fly perpendicular to the planet and low and behold, slowly but surely the earth came from behind the horizon. It sure took a long time though.
Yep you can actually fly to every planet in the system in real time but when you eventually make it there the planet is just a low poly model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom