• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield in the land of Elder Ring

Buggy Loop

You can't disagree with a fact, that's why it's a fact. They make sure to hand craft very specific locations to meet their desired art and story purposes, but make use of procedural generation where it best suits their needs. They're using much more procedural generation this time than ever before, but still going in and hand crafting the important parts.

I was disagreeing with the « more hand crafted » as I thought you were directly comparing with Elden ring, but I see you probably meant as compared to the procedural terrain.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Starfield is Todds chance to prove hes still got it after fo76 and fo4. It sounds like hes very much treating it like his passion project. I expect nothing less than greatness. Guy made Morrowind after all.

nemiroff

Gold Member
More weird game comparisons.. Anyway, I hope Starfield is as atmospheric and having similar exploration value. And being somewhat challenging. We'll see..

Last edited:

TheMan

Well, not only do we not know anything about Starfield, but the games are in completely different genres with completely different settings, different goals. I just don't see how you can make a valid comparison, especially right now.

I'll say this- Elden Ring's open world is so open it's practically directionless. Yeah there are arrows from the grace fires, but apparently if you just blindly follow those you will be woefully underpowered for the first major boss. So, you're off to explore on your own, but it's entirely possible to miss important mechanics (like crafting, summoning) entirely which is IMO not great design. I don't think Starfield will allow for that. Also I don't think ER has any towns at all and I don't think starfield will follow suit in that regard either.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Can we wait until Starfield is out first?

Or why stop there? Why not make a thread like:
How do open world games of 2027 stack up compared to Elden Ring?

sircaw

Banned
Yeah you're right.

It is new ground for Bethesda, they haven't really done much vehicle or aircrafts.

The closest thing is the power armour in f4, theres also the brotherhood of steel air ship, but you have no control over that.

I think there will be space combat, but likely slower paced then elite dangerous. Hopefully we will be able to walk around the ship when its in warp.
i hope the ground combat has some sort of modified vats system.

Still playing through fallout 4 atm and its one of my favorite things.

Bragr

Banned
Huh? Skyrim is one of the best open-worlds there are. They are masters of their craft.

What I am curious about is how fun traveling around in space is gonna be, how you find new planets.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Huh? Skyrim is one of the best open-worlds there are. They are masters of their craft.

What I am curious about is how fun traveling around in space is gonna be, how you find new planets.
Yeah this is what has me worried honestly.

A huge portion of Skyrim's greatness it's it's vast map you can walk across right from the start of the game, and go anywhere, and really try to do just about anything other than stuff unlocked by story missions.

I don't know how that translates well to multiple planets unless the "space" in between is explorable.. and still dont' think it'll have the same feel as a big open world cohesive map.

abcdrstuv

Banned
No idea.. Skyrim is dated now, the formula started to get a little stale with Fallout 4, FO76 is clunky and boring.. Starfield is a big test for Bethesda, either they evolve with the times - even leapfrog the competition like Skyrim - or they're trending down.

abcdrstuv

Banned
They use procedural tools in building the open world. Which is probably also true of Elden Ring and literally any open world with natural terrain at this point. It just means that artists aren't individually placing trees and rocks and that sort of thing, not that they aren't crafting the landscape. It just means things are done on a higher level. Which is really the only way to effeciently make an open world. I don't think OP really knows what he is talking about, I think he is just getting hung up on the fact that Elden Ring has more of these larger hand-crafted "levels" than Skyrim, which has nothing to do with procedural generation and is strictly a design choice.
isn't procedural design still "hand crafted"? The "first draft" is automated

ZoukGalaxy

Can't be buggier than Elden Ring, can it?
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Wait for it

Roxkis_ii

Bethesda games don't really appeal to me personally, and going by what they have shown, I doubt starfield will either.

The only reason I look forward to Bethesda games is the bug compilations. Fallout 76 had some hilarious bugs.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
i hope the ground combat has some sort of modified vats system.

Still playing through fallout 4 atm and its one of my favorite things.
My expectations for combat is for it to be as compotent as fallout 4's, VATS is a signiture fallout thing so I would not hope to much for it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
isn't procedural design still "hand crafted"? The "first draft" is automated
No, not necessarily. Games like No Man's Sky or Spore or many roguelikes feature worlds that are entirely procedurally generated based on a "seed" or RNG. Which is different than Skyrim which use procedural algorithms to help populate/detail a world, not necessarily to generate it entirely, not to make a "base" on which to add detail.

Procedural generation is really a broad term for anything that is "generated" by an algorithm as opposed to created by hand, but how exactly designers apply this varies a lot from game to game.

Dr Bass

Yes. Starfield will make use of procedual generation more than any BGS game ever. Locations will also be handcrafted but thats not the surprise this game is going to have.

Just wait a few more weeks.

I wouldn't really compare Starfield to Elden Ring though, lol
I hope it's not infinite locations like No Man's Sky. Do us right Todd!

Yumi

Elden ring is still steeped in “souls-like” gameplay. I came around to Fallout 4 a while after it came out. They biffed the narrative driven stuff, but the gunplay and level progression was on point.

A more casual romp between planets with dialogue options and decent first person gun play sounds pretty good to me.

I was worried about the art style and graphics, but the little we’ve seen looks pretty nice in my opinion.

ZoukGalaxy

Surely by now they've learned their lesson. Maybe I'm deluding myself.
I'm afraid you're deluding yourself buddy. We're all. Fallout 76 is here to prove (though not maintained by the main team).
I promise you that: same (improved) engine, same devs: it will be a bugfest -as usual-
I won't even be mad, that's now part of the launch fun ^^

Last edited:
Skyrim had radiant quests, but no procedurally generated locations or dungeons. All of the map was hand-crafted.

So what's the point of this thread exactly?

Ezquimacore

Banned
not even the same kind of game apart for being open world and the loot system, that Bathesda does better. I love Elden Ring (look at my pp) but people gotta chill. Breath of the wild 2 will have a few things to say just like Starfield. Elden Ring is an AMAZING combination of From Software, BoTW and Bethesda, but nothing new, just enhanced.

abcdrstuv

Banned
No, not necessarily. Games like No Man's Sky or Spore or many roguelikes feature worlds that are entirely procedurally generated based on a "seed" or RNG. Which is different than Skyrim which use procedural algorithms to help populate/detail a world, not necessarily to generate it entirely, not to make a "base" on which to add detail.

Procedural generation is really a broad term for anything that is "generated" by an algorithm as opposed to created by hand, but how exactly designers apply this varies a lot from game to game.
sorry for wording, I know how NMS works, I was using "procedural *design*" to describe something more like Skyrim.. I can understand using procedural generation to like, place trees, or to build a landscape.. but I assume, like, designers can look at a generated map and decide they don't like where a mountain is, move it or get rid of it..

Guys, i dont think that it will be huge planets and spacial flights!
I think its going to be like a hub, then you fast travel for a map in a planet. A not huge map.
I think will be like dragon age inquisition? Mass effect like? Or destiny? But you know with a larger map. That if you combine all the planets gets you a size of skyrim map or a little biger.
I think that we could get a larger maps with much of it just being empty.
Just a normal bethesta game with large distances in point of interests,with a dragon age structure of planets.

MrA

cdc.jpg

Witcher 3 didn't kill fallout 4., elden ring won't harm starfield. Bethesda doing what Bethesda does best makes millions of people happy, elden ring does the same but is a different experience people can want both and enjoy both
I expect to have a great time with Stanfield on gamepass, and I'll enjoy elden ring when its 20 bucks on ps5 or free in game pass (I'm a cheapskate, I know, thanks for subsidizing my fun full price purchasers)

Top Bottom