• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield releases September 6, 2023

Botw I didn’t feel this way at all, No man’s sky felt completely pointless to me though. It was like why am I doing this. Maybe it’s the survival aspect? I dunno but BOTW felt like there was just more of a genuine sandbox fun factor
True, there was more of a story drive with BOTW but outside of the main quest the game felt a bit empty to me.

During the opening act I was totally blown away, but after discovering the first village, doing some exploring and realising that crafting was limited to cooking (no weapons or armour) and there were no really meaningful side quests, I just sort of plodded through to the end.

Man No Man’s Sky with an actual in depth storyline would be so much better. It’s really the reason it just doesn’t work for me. I know they added shit but it’s still too barebones and the emphasis on just mining shit and building shit as the main things - I dunno.
Yeah, that’s a lazy, cheap shot IMO (which is weird because a lot of people overhype NMS in my opinion, and now it’s being used as a negative).

I don’t see any way this will be anything like No Man’s Sky. Mass Effect, yes, but NMS is a completely different type of game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You aren’t missing much. The RGT guy was endearing when his channel was smaller. Over the past year he’s become insufferable. There are tons of better options out there for general gaming news.
I usually just get my news either from Siliconera or Gematsu sits.

Joey.

I might sound like a weirdo but I’m actually happy with the delay.

1) I was feeling really worried that they would rush this out for a June release to just stay within that “12 month” parameter set at last year’s showcase. I’m happy that’s not the case and they’re taking a few more months to polish. Delay to November if needed. But September is a nice sweet spot.

2) I’ll be busy with Redfall, Zelda and Forza* (*hopefully comes out around then) around that time. That’s more than enough to me to hold me off until September.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Insane... Hard to imagine in what state this game was last year in November when it was "supposed" to be released... One additional year... Damn... Bethesda used to do WHOLE games within like 2-3 years. The industry is for shits man...

killatopak

Gold Member
The release date being delayed didn’t really bother me because I’m pretty busy with irl stuff. I just hope they iron out some stuff. Not expecting bug free but just hoping for nothing too game breaking or save corrupting stuff.

Maybe not day 1 but will definitely play this.

RickMasters

I called it!

Now lets see if im right about a july release for forza and a november release for hellblade.

Hi fi rush is good....Assuming redfall is good too....FM, starfield and hellblade 2 deliver....and we get stalker 2 this year...assuming all that comes to passs...I will consider this a good year for the xbox brand, and consider myself a happy GP subscriber....

When am i gonna get round to playing atomic hearts though!? :pie_astonished:...and my back log looks...insurmountable ....I like this problem.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This game could end up being anything from a revelatory step up in narrative game design and mechanics... or a complete fucking disaster.

EDMIX

Starfield releases September 6th.....so far.

Thats how I see this.

I'll believe it when that digital shit is in my hands

I really hope they have a physical version for PC though lol, would be sad for Fallout 4 to be the last physical version I bought of their games, I need that collectors edition.....

giphy.gif

but seriously folks, I have some strong doubts that this shit is REALLY this year. Day 1 spring 2024 lol

Justin9mm

Ah yes, the US, the only country in the world that 'exclusively' uses the M/D/Y format. Just goes to show the subconscious arrogance of the Amercian people considering the game is marketed to the world regardless of its origin. Just say September 6th so it doesn't confuse literally everyone else. Why should the world have to conform to a minority!?

I'm joking!

RavageX

Can't say im excited. Make it so the next Elder Scolls is actually one of the planets you visit and im sold.

hlm666

I will bet (some) money that there will be numerous TES easter eggs peppered through out and at least one of the planets will have big visual homages to Tamriel.
I'm hoping we get a few spaceship derelicts to investigate in some kind of event horizon type horror storyline. As for using old games as a planet, it would be cool to find planets with the ruins of old elder scrolls game maps/worlds maybe exploring the idea that these civilizations collapsed because in this reality the player never existed in them.

rkofan87

Gold Member
??? Havent they confirmed a June Showcase?? What am I missing. Starfield was promised it's own dedicated show, which is happening. I don't see what that has to do with the normal Xbox/ Bethesda Showcase in June. That's for sure still happening.
i was wrong the xbox show and sf show are back to back on 6/11 so hype!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sorcerer

June to September would not make that much of a difference in getting the game to launch in a good state. Microsoft wants something for the holidays, but if it misses September than I suspect it will be delayed till March. Microsoft and Bethesda probably don't really understand each other's launch philosophies. Microsoft want's the game to launch as perfect as possible while Bethesda has no qualms about launching broken and fixing it later.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Hope its great! Xbox needs this to be great.
Yes they do! I have Series X and Game Pass which I use on console and my PC, I'm not biased or against Xbox but I've been saying for the longest time Xbox has no games and has no idea how to put out actual bangers. I'm convinced that after acquiring Bethesda, if this turns out to be a flop, Xbox is cursed lol

Justin9mm

June to September would not make that much of a difference in getting the game to launch in a good state. Microsoft wants something for the holidays, but if it misses September than I suspect it will be delayed till March. Microsoft and Bethesda probably don't really understand each other's launch philosophies. Microsoft want's the game to launch as perfect as possible while Bethesda has no qualms about launching broken and fixing it later.
^ Umm.. Isn't it the other way around? lol

Fredrik

At least it’s a 2023 game, which is great news. And there are plenty of great games to play before September, the main one being FF16. It seems like a good release date to me, as long as there aren’t any other bangers coming out around that time.
Other bangers would’ve always had to step aside for this one, that’s how I feel, I can’t think of any game that would’ve been more important tbh.

RavageX

I will bet (some) money that there will be numerous TES easter eggs peppered through out and at least one of the planets will have big visual homages to Tamriel.

No my friend, I expect to be firing my phasers at full power and launching a full array of photon torpedoes at Mehrunes Dagon as I fly my ship through the planes of Oblivion and will settle for no less.

GenericUser

A bit later than I expected, but it's ok. RE4 Remake in March, then Dead Island 2 in April, June Diablo 4 and FF16 and Starfield in September. A lot of top games nicely spread across the year.

RPS37

So what exactly does Xbox have (that’s announced) between now and then?

I know Redfall is basically the next big game, but honestly I hated Deathloop so I’m not incredibly hopeful.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The delay is probably perfect tbh as June will have been a push it out the door date, perhaps. This is a sold extra 3 months of dev time and focusing on fewer platforms should hopefully help Bethesda massively.

So hyped for this.

ryzen1

Ah yes, the US, the only country in the world that 'exclusively' uses the M/D/Y format. Just goes to show the subconscious arrogance of the Amercian people considering the game is marketed to the world regardless of its origin. Just say September 6th so it doesn't confuse literally everyone else. Why should the world have to conform to a minority!?

I'm joking!
If you have to measure with hands, feet and other bodyparts...this seems pretty normal I guess.

Jayjayhd34

Glad we got a new date finally. My free gamepass ended so cancelled that for now. as there nothing I’m interested in at the moment I probably wait till September to find good deal on three months wired they dont do yearly subs though.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It's bethesda. It'll have bugs. but of course that'll give the Sony fanboys an excuse for a free kick.

Nightmare, agreed, here's the thing though, purely from a discussion point of view, this game is a lose-lose situation, if it proves to be good with no major bugs, the usual Xbox fanboys suspects will be "See ? the power of Xbox" / " Starfield the saviour of 2023®" / "GOTY ! "/ "Papa-Phil & Gamepass are the best thing since sliced bread" / "Gamepass is the best deal in gaming" while the "other" side will be "LOL another Bugthesda junk-fest" / "You had way too high expectations LOL" etc etc...

Again, it's a lose-lose situation where IMO, no real discussion can be had about it.
Truth be told, you know for a fact that even if it proves to be mediocre/enjoyable at the very least, it will still be heralded as amazing by the Xbox boys and blame everything on the "haters" with the Sony boys jumping from joy because of it.

It's just the nature of the forums brother, people have to fight over something I presume...

Cheers

kuncol02

Banned
Shame that it didn't made into first half, but from the other side I expected it to be released like last day of June just that they could say it released in first half of 2023.

Riky

$MSFT
>I play games, not sales
The most powerful console in history still cannot offer a game that will reveal its full technical potential

Forza Motorsport, 4k 60 FPS, on track RT.
Next gen only games will show the potential soon.

On topic I'm expecting some sort of 60fps mode for Starfield, since whatever the Series S version is can be run at twice the framerate on Series X unless the game is CPU limited.
Hopefully performance mode at launch or not long after.

Top Bottom