• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Montauk

They have weighted scores and decide which outlets get more weight than others.

And we’re talking about outlets being excluded entirely, which is not the same.

Excluding them on the basis of individual very important opinions of randos on Neogaf, who think that aggregate scores are some kind of way of knowing the mind of God, or something.

Yeah, somehow I don’t think they’re gonna do that, nor should they.

Topher

Gold Member
Quick and easy way to remove the Xbox reviews from the equation is to just look at the PC reviews.

GHG

Gold Member
Quick and easy way to remove the Xbox reviews from the equation is to just look at the PC reviews.

If only. Xboxera have snuck their way in there.

Well I'll be a son of a bitch. Looks Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami might be right. That metacritic is down to 85 and that's without Metro's expected 6/10 score. Glad I didn't make any jizz gargling bets like a few of you freaks (love it) seem to always do.

Appreciate the shout-out.

I think now that the consensus out there is that the review scores, both critic and user are both disappointing across platforms, that we can now shift this conversation to whether these lower-than-expected reviews will have an impact on sales performance of both GamePass and Xbox Series.

We're going to see how this game individually ranks in sales, but also if the Xbox Series was able to outsell the PS5 in September and/or October (Forza).

I think we can all see where things are trending and they aren't positive, but a lot of this will depend on the performance of Spider-Man 2, which I expect due to the response to Starfield is likely to be user review bombed, but also could be in itself disappointing on critical acclaim. I think Spider-Man 1 would have done better if the Mary Jane missions weren't in there and some of the more annoying side quests, but Spider-Man 2 needs to do more than just remove those.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And we’re talking about outlets being excluded entirely, which is not the same.

Excluding them on the basis of individual very important opinions of randos on Neogaf, who think that aggregate scores are some kind of way of knowing the mind of God, or something.

Yeah, somehow I don’t think they’re gonna do that, nor should they.
Weighted scores are still not the average aggregate, proper.

Montauk

Yes.
Weighted scores are still not the average aggregate, proper.

And whether the scores are weighted or not is not the same as excluding outlets entirely.

Just accept that you’re not gonna get your magical, mystical, perfectly pure Metacritic score ever. Ever.

There is no pure science of review scores I’m afraid. You can’t just magic up some number which gives you - I don’t know what is that you guys even thinking you’re looking for.

Critics that you personally do not like are still making reviews. Those reviews still count. Thats the beginning and end of it.

4/10 is too harsh? According to who? Some rando on Neogaf? Ok. And what about the 5/10 it got from that Spanish outlet? Is that too harsh, are they getting booted from MC for gross bias?

Where does it stop? Where is the line drawn? Who draws the line?

Why you guys waste your time with these quests to just - basically - cleanse the world of views you don’t like I really really don’t know.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I’m not sure how you think I talk if you didn’t read my post. But obviously you did.

Your suggestions are nonsensical and you know it.

Metacritic is in no position to decide what a ‘valid’ outlet is. The moment they did that they be useless a score aggregator because everyone would be arguing over how and why Metacritic excludes certain outlets.

There’s no sense at all in excluding the highest or lowest scores, there is only your personal biased conclusion that these scores mean something, something you don’t like.

You’re just saying “I don’t like these, get rid of them”.

You know perfectly well that MC and OC will never ever cull any of your hated outlets. It’s almost as if they’re not working off your personal biases and obsessions and are simply aggregating review scores.

It’s time to stop tilting at windmills and move on. Your fundamental problem - as is common here - is that you take your little opinions as being unbiased objective statements of fact.
It's easy to see someone throwing a tantrum from a few words, don't have to read all of your nonsense to get that. You showed your true colors already, nobody cares what you think. Just because you put something in quotes doesn't mean I said it, you have no argument here or idea what I think. You are dismissed.

Go Away GIF by Bounce

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And whether the scores are weighted or not is not the same as excluding outlets entirely.

Just accept that you’re not gonna get your magical, mystical, perfectly pure Metacritic score ever. Ever.

There is no pure science of review scores I’m afraid. You can’t just magic up some number which gives you - I don’t know what is that you guys even thinking you’re looking for.

Critics that you personally do not like are still making reviews. Those reviews still count. Thats the beginning and end of it.
It's still not the proper aggregate.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Whilst I agree 85 is a fair score. ( me 8.9 at the moment ) So obviously Starfield is the type of game people will like it or not.

Now BG3. I hate turned based games, I couldn't score it. But my point being BG3 96 on metacritc. Surely there has to be some reviewer's who aren't big turn based games fans. Or are they really that popular and I'm on my own.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And that’s still not relevant to the point under discussion.
It's relevant to whether their aggregate is an actual average or not.

As far as including and excluding, along with weighted averages, they do BOTH.

WHICH CRITICS AND PUBLICATIONS ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR CALCULATIONS?​

Several times each year, we will reevaluate our publication lists and may make additions and/or deletions.

HOW DO YOU COMPUTE METASCORES?​

To put it simply, a METASCORE is a weighted average of reviews from top critics and publications for a given movie, TV show, video game, or album.

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW EACH OF THE DIFFERENT CRITICS ARE WEIGHTED IN YOUR FORMULA?​

Absolutely not.

Sweet, sweet transparency.

Whilst I agree 85 is a fair score. ( me 8.9 at the moment ) So obviously Starfield is the type of game people will like it or not.

Now BG3. I hate turned based games, I couldn't score it. But my point being BG3 96 on metacritc. Surely there has to be some reviewer's who aren't big turn based games fans. Or are they really that popular and I'm on my own.

You can't or at least shouldn't as a review say I don't like fighting games so SF6 is a 1/10.

Obviously, some degree of personal preference comes into play, but reviewers should try and review in a way that is objective and reflects the audience of their readers.

If you have no appetite for fighting games, it's kind of incumbent upon the reviewer to recuse themselves.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I think the most telling is the user scores,

It's clearly a New Vegas/ Fallout 4 Situation.

Maybe the expansions will fix the issues.

Montauk

It's relevant to whether their aggregate is an actual average or not.

As far as including and excluding, along with weighted averages, they do BOTH.

Fair enough, I wasn’t aware of that.

But I think that’s what there kind of explains why; the basis of what outlets they include and the weighting is entirely a black box. They explain nothing.

If they had published criteria/rules then I imagine I would have heard about that by now.

Given the outlets they include I imagine their lists of outlets are based on stuff like whether they appear to be an actual outlet, if they publish reviews every X period, if they spam or something like that.

Either way, given the range of outlets on there they’re not excluding outlets because of popularly (in certain circles) perceived notions of them being biased or ‘trolls’.

We’re still back to square one: MC isn’t going to remove outlets because of people’s opinions about them and that part of life is accepting that other people have different views and the freedom of speech to express them.

There’s no fair basis to exclude XboxEra or Sterling or anyone else anyone here has some petty bone to pick with.

I don’t understand this apparent craving to seek conformity. I will never understand it. I can live with outlier reviews. A lot of you apparently can’t.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Meuplaystation
Play Magazine
Psxbrasil
PSU
LaPS4
Press Start
Push Square
PSX Extreme
PlayStation Lifestyle

I was mistaken on Dualshockers, so the total I can find is nine.
You can take press start off there as well.
So we have 8 PS branded sites reviewing games vs Xbox's 9?
Context is important in this case.

PlayMagazine hasn't been publishing reviews for years now, if I'm not mistaken. So you can take that one out as well. The rest hardly gives any unfair high scores to PlayStatio n games -- unlike those Xbox centric websites and how they favor XGS games unfairly.

Here are a few examples; I took images of the first 2 Sony games I could spot on each reviewer's profile.

Look at how their critic review scores match the avg. metacritic score. Sometimes they are even lower than the avg. score. This isn't the case with Xbox-centric websites.

MeuPlayStation
Qds9vlS.jpg
72zTWIq.jpg

Psxbrasil
ohtncRA.jpg
Rr0R23B.jpg

PSU
lJ4tpCG.jpg
mCCPqxX.jpg

LaPS4
kEm2l13.jpg
qm1TS2d.jpg

Push Square
PDVf1pM.jpg
sCnTzSr.jpg

PSX Extreme
DXOLp2P.jpg
BBK1S9B.jpg

PlayStation Lifestyle

L6TTcdt.jpg
e4ml5rl.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah I see so, I did miss PlayStation Country though.

Scraping the barrel here.

Not seeing the last time they reviewed a Playstation exclusive here:

Same goes for play magazine:

So we have 8 PS branded sites reviewing games vs Xbox's 9?

In term of active reviewers in I'm seeing less than 8 for PlayStation and more than 10 for Xbox.

While this game isn't putting out BG3 scores, it's scoring as high or higher than some of the top Sony exclusives. I think that's pretty good for the future console war discussions. Bravo, Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member

PlayMagazine hasn't been publishing reviews for years now, if I'm not mistaken. So you can take that one out as well. The rest hardly gives any unfair high scores to PlayStatio n games -- unlike those Xbox centric websites and how they favor XGS games unfairly.

Here are a few examples; I took images of the first 2 Sony games I could spot on each reviewer's profile.

Look at how their critic review scores match the avg. metacritic score. Sometimes they are even lower than the avg. score. This isn't the case with Xbox-centric websites.

MeuPlayStation
Qds9vlS.jpg
72zTWIq.jpg

Psxbrasil
ohtncRA.jpg
Rr0R23B.jpg

PSU
lJ4tpCG.jpg
mCCPqxX.jpg

LaPS4
kEm2l13.jpg
qm1TS2d.jpg

Push Square
PDVf1pM.jpg
sCnTzSr.jpg

PSX Extreme
DXOLp2P.jpg
BBK1S9B.jpg

PlayStation Lifestyle

L6TTcdt.jpg
e4ml5rl.jpg

Days Gone had a metacritic of 71. Obviously I'm being selective here. Kind of my point though.

29ZKzmi.png

Halo Infinite had a metacritic of 87.

Al6s6mN.png

I'm going to drop this line of argument because frankly, I think it is useless. I said this when it was brought up and used against God of War: R. I will say the same when it will inevitably be brought up and used against Spider-man 2.

Last edited:

Zathalus

MeuPlayStation
Qds9vlS.jpg
72zTWIq.jpg

Psxbrasil
ohtncRA.jpg
Rr0R23B.jpg

PSU
lJ4tpCG.jpg
mCCPqxX.jpg

LaPS4
kEm2l13.jpg
qm1TS2d.jpg

Push Square
PDVf1pM.jpg
sCnTzSr.jpg

PSX Extreme
DXOLp2P.jpg
BBK1S9B.jpg

PlayStation Lifestyle

L6TTcdt.jpg
e4ml5rl.jpg
You can paint any narrative you want if you pick and choose your games.

Most Xbox centric sites gave Redfall a 6 oor 7 out of 10. With one even giving it a 4/10. Pure Xbox actually gave Forza Horizon 5 one of its lowest recieved scores as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Days Gone had a metacritic of 71. Obviously I'm being selective here. Kind of my point though.

29ZKzmi.png

Halo Infinite had a metacritic of 87.

Al6s6mN.png

I'm going to drop this line of argument because frankly, I think it is useless. I said this when it was brought up and used against God of War: R. I will say the same when it will inevitably be brought up and used against Spider-man 2.
Having played Day's Gone (on the PS5 mind you) that game was far from a 71. We all know the social cuntraversy that surrounded that one. One of my favorite games of last gen, even if I was super LTTP.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You can't or at least shouldn't as a review say I don't like fighting games so SF6 is a 1/10.

Obviously, some degree of personal preference comes into play, but reviewers should try and review in a way that is objective and reflects the audience of their readers.

If you have no appetite for fighting games, it's kind of incumbent upon the reviewer to recuse themselves.
I agree that's how it should be done, but I find it hard to believe that 89 out of 94 reviews are 90+. Are turn based games that popular and 95% of review sites love them. I'd have thought 50/50 of liking turned based games.
It must just be me.

Montauk

You can paint any narrative you want if you pick and choose your games.

Most Xbox centric sites gave Redfall a 6 oor 7 out of 10. With one even giving it a 4/10. Pure Xbox actually gave Forza Horizon 5 one of its lowest recieved scores as well.

This is why it is a pointless waste of time to say that this outlet or the outlet needs to be excluded because of bias. A view that is arrived at because of personal bias.

There’s no point people here pulling their hair out about these aggregated scores reflecting many many outlets because they include a few they don’t like for some reason.

Sorry, but just mentally discount XboxEra or whoever and move on.

It’s ridiculous to treat aggregate scores like they can be purified like water and that purity be scientifically measured, especially when the website uses weighting and weighting on criteria that it does not disclose!

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Having played Day's Gone (on the PS5 mind you) that game was far from a 71. We all know the social cuntraversy that surrounded that one. One of my favorite games of last gen, even if I was super LTTP.

I’d probably give it an 8/10. Solid open world formula that did nothing new except for the zombie mobs. I can see people giving it a 7/10.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wasn't most of the criticism for the game, performance and pacing related? Reviewers are pretty good at not finishing games.

I think a lot used excuses they otherwise excuse other games of having (performance, etc.). Their social media's told all.

Sorry if posted already since this Tweet is over a week old but is IGN trying to prove something after so many attacked them over their Starfield review?

Is this a "We really do like Xbox" Tweet?

Yes. They even did a interview with the reviewer to defend the score that day. It was pathetic.

Topher

Gold Member

And that's fine, but my point was that it is easy to find examples that fit any single narrative. Above we were given examples of scores that merely 7 points below the metacritic.

Just like this one but in the other direction. Ghost of Tsushima has a metacritic of 83.

y05VCqE.png

What did I just prove? Next to nothing. That's my point.

Top Bottom