• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

GodofWine

Razorback garages cost 2 rift. You start with 3. Wheres the problem?

Yes, you are correct in the point you are making... but I do think that either there needs to be some available vehicles at the start, or start with higher RE.

I want more RE, and no limit on number of buildings (or a very high one)...just a limit on beam towers, too many of them and the game is kinda broken since they, when placed in clusters of 2-4, are dominant (and awesome)

Enco

Warhawk is the best online game I have ever played.

After playing this beta for a bit I'm on the fence.

1. Getting points to build is too hard
2. Breaking buildings is too easy
3. The menu looks awfully amateur
4. The music rocks
5. It has the same Warhawk vibe which is good
6. The maps have nothing on Warhawk. They're cery bland and generic
7. The beta only has 16 players and no splitscreen
8. The lasers are waaaay overpowered
9. I've had some crashes trying to auto join a game
10. Like others have said, there needs to be more pre built stuff
11. Everyone is a fucking bullet sponge
12. The hawks are really cool but pretty weak an useless

The maps are by far the worst thing. Warhawk had such amazing unique fun maps. Hopefully the others are better. So far Warhawk is top.

There is a big difference between a player pretty much suppressing an entire team .... and a player getting random kills in random places around the map.

In Warhawk an aggressive pilot would be the guy that as soon as you steal the flag you can expect a Homing Missle in your backside from him... Rather than this guy who while his flag was being stolen was recanting how great it is to Poop on people... NOT EVEN REALIZING his flag was stolen... Even while he was running up to his base....
Yeah that guy was... kinda off.

Might as well put up a server. Haven't done it since I got into Philly.
I always get an "Unauthorized" notice and I can never enter that thread. Does anyone know why? Thanks.
Why, what country do you live in? Can you login with your PSN account 1st?

http://us.playstation.com/psn/

Maybe you have to do that, then navigate to the Starhawk page.

F-Pina

If I see somebody building a garage I build a turret, then hop on on the razorback built and we go either directly to the flag or to get barrels and start building.

If you stay behind to defend then the first tactic is to expect a razorback incoming so walls are necessary to gain higher ground. Since each wall costs 1 you can either build 3 walls or 1 wall and one turret.

GodofWine

Warhawk is the best online game I have ever played. - agreed

After playing this beta for a bit I'm on the fence.

1. Getting points to build is too hard - agreed
2. Breaking buildings is too easy agreed
3. The menu looks awfully amateur agreed, but its a beta, and its simple and works
4. The music rocks agreed
5. It has the same Warhawk vibe which is good agreed
6. The maps have nothing on Warhawk. They're cery bland and generic pre-beta issue
7. The beta only has 16 players and no splitscreen pre-beta...give them time to ramp up
8. The lasers are waaaay overpowered Beam turrets? then yes, they need to be limited or weakend
9. I've had some crashes trying to auto join a game pre-beta...assuming it'll work better in beta and release
10. Like others have said, there needs to be more pre built stuff
11. Everyone is a fucking bullet sponge agreed, but they were in Warhawk too
12. The hawks are really cool but pretty weak an useless Maybe...people are getting better with them, and their weapons are still limited in the beta I think(??)

The maps are by far the worst thing. Imagine playing WH with only the 'small 8 player maps', thats what we are doing so far in the beta, I have to expect huge maps again later on, plus zones, I loved zones.

In bold

brentech

everyone else crash out?

and sorry, still learning what to do, and how to use my new PS headset as well (trying to find the right balance of communication/general sound)

evolution

The last starhawk radio was pretty good. Most of our issues were discussed on there so at least we know they've heard them. I personally feel like its too early for me to get a solid read on the game. I'm enjoying it now, but once they add the 32 player maps, and the "tank" vehicle it could flow completely different.

If there going to incorporate these rts elements they need really need to change some of the visuals to differentiate the two factions though

-The weapons need to pop out more
-The laser beams need to be different colors depending on your team.
-There should be two types of of everything; structures and vehicles

Is that scheduled (if so, where do I go to know when that's coming)?
I believe its the same time everyday, it last about an hour

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i just played my first match... i played warhawk before but yet...

funny-science-news-exa9p4p.jpg

SpecX

I haven't had a chance to download this yet and with the backlog I have, I probably won't get to it. I still have my code available, so first one to PM me gets it if anyone is interested.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Room is up!

Sorry I suck, man. I really don't like TDM this outing because it's basically "build the strongest shit possible and win!"

The build mechanic works in objectives, but not straight up kills it seems.

I really want to play on some larger maps and with longer match times. There's going to be so much more strategy, people vying for land, attacking and defending bases. Think about how different Warhawk plays on the medium maps versus the full maps, except now you need to do more then stand in a circle for 30 seconds.

Server maintenance from 3-4pm eastern everyday unless otherwise noted.

A bunch of crappy players in the GAF server. Herp derp stand around and do nothing herp derp.

edit: not you personally Seks.

Real nice night with Star Hawk tonight.

I decided to put my anger towards the changes aside and play it tonight.
First map was just me trying to remember the controls, saving up energy, and building a supply and jet pack then buying a jeep. I got ran over alot trying to get the energy up to do it all, and everytime after that for the rest of the game I got killed by a turret or that laser thing. I thought I was the man at one point, creeping in with my jet pack...but a beam just insta killed me. Seriously, I didnt get a kill...nor did I get shot, just ran over and turreted to death, I suck.

I loaded up the next map for TDM and got a quick kill on a mech with another guy, I died tho..from a turret :(

Then the craziest shit happened. My game froze and I had to hard restart my PS3. When I turned it back on it said some shit about corrupting a file system and checking the files. Telling me if somethign was found wrong it would take 2-3 hours!
I was pissed, and worried my PS3 was screwed, but it took 20minutes and everything is fine.

Im gonna give it another go but not tonight. I dont wanna "chance" it.

I don't like the Razorbacks so I have to wait until I have enough energy to get a rocket launcher and a Jetpack and then I have to set up a forward spawn because nobody else seems to want to. All of this takes up way too much time to do effectively.

Manky gave me a great idea yesterday if on Acid Sea. Spawn near repair tool. Crap out a garage. Reclaim the garage. Then use the razorback to farm rift energy for crap you want. WIN!

I just did that in the match I finished playing and Frankman sucked it good and hard. Plus I made it through the entire match without dying through good use of farming, repairs, dropping sentry guns, and laser turrets. :D

If there going to incorporate these rts elements they need really need to change some of the visuals to differentiate the two factions though

-The weapons need to pop out more
-The laser beams need to be different colors depending on your team.
-There should be two types of of everything; structures and vehicles

Oh goodness yes! That should be obvious to them. RED LASER! BLUE LASER! Or whatever colors, just make it different so I can tell to GTFO the airspace.

Overall I'm glad to see more people complaining about the bland visual design of this game. For some reason the Outcasts look like freaky 1920's flappers to me. It's the stupid forehead not-feather thing. Character models and faction structures are too damn generic.

ohh fuckoff with that melee bullshit

I'm sorry. :(

I was in somebody's base in a bunker, and two dudes ran in. I didn't think I'd get both of them, but I did. :D

Abuse the melee attack and LBI will be able to see it's abusable and fix it.

Fake Edit: Damn it! Wanted to report a bug with the rocket launcher and rockets just VEERING OFF TO THE RIGHT again when I was zoomed in and trying to blind fire at this dude sniping at us. RL was NOT locking onto anything. Damned rockets were just flying off to the right wasting ammo. >:O

Revenge Kills are so worthwhile...

And as I've said, dying isn't bad as long as others are aware of a potential threat and your team wins. :D

The scoring system definitely makes team loses less of a pain in the ass if you're playing smart you can still earn a couple thousand points. :3

None of my teams tonight really seemed to want to cooperate.

Idiots are still building duplicate items right next to each other because they're probably douche bag Millennials crapped out in the 80's with crazy attention deficit disorder and a wild sense of entitlement.

"YOUR SNIPER TOWER ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH! I NEED TO BUILD MY OWN RIGHT NEXT TO IT!" >:O

Please LBI - make everything reclaimable. >:D

Folks need to learn to place things strategically as well. Why put a structure in the line of fire when you can put it in a defensible position and get the maximum usage out of it? Think People! Think.

Oh yeah and perhaps laser cannons should have a wider spawn perimeter. Don't make them physically larger, but just make it so you can't place several next to each other. Like that dude that had 12 around the flag on the space map and toasted that poor hawk in under three seconds. :O

Enco

My updated list:

3. The menu looks awfully amateur
4. The music rocks
5. It has the same Warhawk vibe which is good
6. The lasers are waaaay overpowered
7. Like others have said, there needs to be more pre built stuff
8. Everyone is a fucking bullet sponge
9. The hawks are really cool but pretty weak an useless
10. The spawn times are annoying
11. The elbows...
12. The melee is screwed up. You can knife people a mile away and there are an alarming number of double kills where you kill someone and the person kills you at the same time. This is pretty annoying since Warhawk had perfect melee

Things that are beta only:

1. The maps have nothing on Warhawk. They're very bland and generic (hopefully the other maps better)
2. The beta only has 16 players and no splitscreen
3. I've had some crashes trying to auto join a game
4. The games are waaaay too short. With a building mechanic the games could easily be 3 to 4 (or more) times longer

F-Pina

Nice games last night. Gaf server is always full so it is dificult to enter sometimes.

Saw some bugs and problems and if somebody can report on the Beta forum it would be cool. I can't enter since I am in Portugal with a European code etc. etc.

- Managed somehow to throw mines and they stuck in the middle of the air. They just stand there hovering and don't explode or fall, they stay until the match ends. It seems I could just keep on picking up and throwing and create some crazy hovering mine field :p
- Server has slots available but it says it is full, even after refresh
- In Acid Sea, when choosing spawn position to drop, the color of the green buildings gets mixed very easily for those who have a very slight color blind problem. Since 1 in 5 men suffer from variations of this problem I would suggest to change this. Same goes for the green tickets floating above the heads of players in Acid Sea.

Overall if they could make the change to the green team (yours) to white or blue it would be a big improvement.

My updated list:

1. Learn the locations of the RE barrels. Problem solved.

I'm thankful that in the beta RE is not shared amongst the team as they threatened when the game was still in development.

2. No it's not. BnB structures are fairly durable and require concerted effort to destroy.

Some items should get more HP due to the high cost of RE to build them, for instance the bubble shield. It's the easiest of the structures to take down and costs the most RE. I can understand in terms of game balancing though as a player from the opposing team needs to go in and risk their ass to bring it down. All the while your team is taking damage.

Am I really the only one thining that the game isn't responsive enough? Especially in the Starhawk?

It's definitely sluggish. Switching seats in the razorback is too damn slow. Switching weapons isn't reliable yet. There's a lot of fine tuning that needs to be done to match the reliable inputs of Warhawk.

Switching razorback seats on X is still sh*t.

Enco

Sharing points would have been awful. Barrels are no way a good replacement for faster point collection from the generator. You get people camping around waiting for the barrels an it's annoying hanging around waiting for them.

Sharing points would have been awful. Barrels are no way a good replacement for faster point collection from the generator. You get people camping around waiting for the barrels an it's annoying hanging around waiting for them.

Increasing RE collection at the spawn location is absolutely not the solution.

That will just make enemy fortifications directly around the base impenetrable since the entire team can just camp, gather RE, and spawn fortifications. That would be a game breaking bad decision.

Establishing a forward position, or positions, to control the RE allocation for your team is now just as important as camping / defending the flag. The sooner players pick up on this, the sooner the game will become a better experience for everybody playing. Defending teams also need to learn that camping all day is not victory. You need to leave the base and tear down the enemy forward positions. Unlike Warhawk it's not as simple as capturing the zone, then it's yours. Eliminating the enemy pod beacon, automated weapons, and structures your team cannot use is crucial (this way even if they reclaim the area they have to spend energy to build it back up).

The larger problem is the Acid Sea map isn't very good. RE barrels are in bad locations, where folks tend to build up useless structures for a route that flag capturers do not take. So you need to farm the RE from the far corners of the map and move it to the center to decrease the enemy team ability to drive through for free with your flag.

On the Space map you can quickly gather six to eight units of RE with the correct spawn location and mad dash to beat others to the RE barrels. From there it's easier to fortify the map.

Acid Sea just needs a significant overhaul. Plus it's a small map. It's going to be interesting to see what LBI does with the large maps, IIRC they've confirmed maps will not be Warhawk style large maps with cordoned off play areas. They're designing unique small, medium, and large maps so far as I know. Fine tuning them is imperative to the overall success of the game.

I'm assuming communal RE is not off the table at this point and we'll be testing that down the road.

bug_42

I wish flying the Hawks felt more like flying the Warhawks. The controls do not seem to be as tight. I also wish you could fly/ hover in "robot" mode.

Increasing RE collection at the spawn location is absolutely not the solution.

That will just make enemy fortifications directly around the base impenetrable since the entire team can just camp, gather RE, and spawn fortifications. That would be a game breaking bad decision.

Establishing a forward position, or positions, to control the RE allocation for your team is now just as important as camping / defending the flag. The sooner players pick up on this, the sooner the game will become a better experience for everybody playing. Defending teams also need to learn that camping all day is not victory. You need to leave the base and tear down the enemy forward positions. Unlike Warhawk it's not as simple as capturing the zone, then it's yours. Eliminating the enemy pod beacon, automated weapons, and structures your team cannot use is crucial (this way even if they reclaim the area they have to spend energy to build it back up).

The larger problem is the Acid Sea map isn't very good. RE barrels are in bad locations, where folks tend to build up useless structures for a route that flag capturers do not take. So you need to farm the RE from the far corners of the map and move it to the center to decrease the enemy team ability to drive through for free with your flag.

On the Space map you can quickly gather six to eight units of RE with the correct spawn location and mad dash to beat others to the RE barrels. From there it's easier to fortify the map.

Acid Sea just needs a significant overhaul. Plus it's a small map. It's going to be interesting to see what LBI does with the large maps, IIRC they've confirmed maps will not be Warhawk style large maps with cordoned off play areas. They're designing unique small, medium, and large maps so far as I know. Fine tuning them is imperative to the overall success of the game.

I'm assuming communal RE is not off the table at this point and we'll be testing that down the road.

100% agree with almost everything you said. The one disagreement being that I don't think we'll ever see communal RE, it just doesn't make sense, you'll be giving clueless players way too much power to ruin the game.

One thing I'd like to see to emphasize the importance of establishing a forward position is increased regenerating RE you get from pods placed near rift barrels. Not too much more just enough to give more incentive to go out build more bases.

Thrakier

I wish flying the Hawks felt more like flying the Warhawks. The controls do not seem to be as tight. I also wish you could fly/ hover in "robot" mode.

I'm sure that's the same basically, it's just a framerate and input latency problem that makes it feel so sluggish.

F-Pina

With the latest 1.1.3 update it seems NOBODY can catch flags.
Tried it on both maps. If you are going to play CTF wait for a new update instead.

Patch 1.1.3 & 1.1.4 Details:

Starhawk Private BETA Update: 1.1.3

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 At 1:54PM

Today's 1.1.3 update for the Starhawk Private BETA was deployed during the regular server maintenance at 2pm Central and contained the following changes:

Increased Sniper Rifle rate of fire.
Increased Grenade damage vs. Razorback 4x4.
Reduced Rift cost of Launch Pad (6 to 4).
Reduced Rift cost of Hawk (4 to 2).
Reduced Rocket Launcher blast radius.
Increased Homing Missile acquisition/turning speed.
Re-enabled Air Mines in both MP maps.
Fixed inconsistent Homing/Swarm lock-on behavior.
Fixed TDM pre-game scoring bug.
Fixed Beam Turret damage bug.
Reduced Rocket Launcher Blast Radius:
Our last update was intended to promote more rocket use -- and boy did it! However, it was a bit too far so we have reduced the area of effect radius. It is still larger than it was originally but it is smaller than what was included in the 1.1.1 update.

Increased Homing Missile Acquisition/Turning Speed:
While we very much want the Homing Missile to have some minimum amount of forward trajectory before it starts blending into its target tracking mode, what we had previously was too lengthy. This update sees a significant reduction in that time so that Homing Missiles start turning to track their targets more quickly.

Re-Enabled Air Mines in All MP Maps:
With the recent fix of a bug related to air-mines, we have re-enabled the Air Mine pickup in both Acid Sea and Space maps.

Fixed Inconsistent Homing/Swarm Lock-on Behavior:
The two weapon systems were not properly respecting the lock-on setting in the options screen and this was resulting in the Homing Missile starting to auto-lock and the Swarm Laser requiring a "press-n-hold" before they would start locking. Now both weapons will have the same button behavior and you can toggle it on/off in the options screen.

Fixed Beam Turret Damage Bug:
In the 1.1.1 update, there was a bug that resulted in Beam Turrets dealing *FAR* more damage than they were supposed to. This is now fixed and the damage is now back down and properly reflecting the the values we have assigned. We'll continue to track feedback from the community and make further changes to the Beam Turret damage as needed.

Starhawk Private BETA Update: 1.1.4
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 At 8:37PM
The 1.1.4 update for the Starhawk Private BETA was deployed during unplanned maintenance at 8:30pm Central on Tuesday, December 20th and contained the following changes:

Fixed bug causing flags in CTF to be unresponsive.
Fixed bug causing battle feed not to be displayed.
Thanks again for your patience, everyone!

Patch Impressions (from me):

- First and foremost the air-to-air game is back. The homing missles work great now, and between the homers the swarms and the MG air-to-air plays great. In a pregame lobby we had a 2 on 2 air game going and it was great.

- They completely nerfed the beam turret. Maybe I was just used to the OP'ed version but I was seriously getting pissed off with this shit. They've nerfed it so much that I actully couldn't tell you exactly how much because in my playtime I couldn't get a single kill with it, and I had a few guys locked in for a solid 5 or 6 seconds. It's especially bullshit because it's the only building that can be damaged with the rifle. I'll re-access after my stratagy changes.

- In general this feels like the most substantial update thus far (I started playing during the 1.0.8 patch). I had to completely re-access my play style while using the Razorback and Hawk, and how to set up defenses and attack the other teams defenses. Right now the bubbleshield is the most OP'ed piece of equipment, and in the few games I played tonight they sprung up all fucking over the place.

Len1978

I have a code first to pm me gets it. If you don't plan on using it don't ask for it. If you have one already don't ask for it. If you plan on putting it up on ebay d.....you get the picture. First come first serve

edit: Good till Dec 20th
sorry no good i guess

redhot_

Nope not yet. LBI adressed the problem some time ago and said they were working on a solution but weren't happy enough with it the put it in a patch.

Ah, Good to hear they are working on something. They should take some notes on how Battlefield 3 melee works, 2 or 3 hits from the front and a press and hold to assassinate thing from behind. The one hit melee just doesn't feel satisfying.

Patch Impressions (from me):

- First and foremost the air-to-air game is back. The homing missles work great now, and between the homers the swarms and the MG air-to-air plays great. In a pregame lobby we had a 2 on 2 air game going and it was great.
Sweet. The amount of forward trajectory was nuts before.
- They completely nerfed the beam turret. Maybe I was just used to the OP'ed version but I was seriously getting pissed off with this shit. They've nerfed it so much that I actully couldn't tell you exactly how much because in my playtime I couldn't get a single kill with it, and I had a few guys locked in for a solid 5 or 6 seconds. It's especially bullshit because it's the only building that can be damaged with the rifle. I'll re-access after my stratagy changes.
Wow, I wonder if they'll up the damage again though. It seems like it's specially meant to combat Hawks and if what you describe is 100% accurate that makes it kinda useless.
- In general this feels like the most substantial update thus far (I started playing during the 1.0.8 patch). I had to completely re-access my play style while using the Razorback and Hawk, and how to set up defenses and attack the other teams defenses. Right now the bubbleshield is the most OP'ed piece of equipment, and in the few games I played tonight they sprung up all fucking over the place.
And think about it... these are only 15 minute games!

The next big evolution in Starhawk regarding team play is going to be strategic reclamation of structures, I can feel it. Too many people are hitting the structure limit after 10 minutes, can you imagine hitting that with 20 minutes left in a game? :jakncoke

Liberty4all

Banned
I have a code first to pm me gets it. If you don't plan on using it don't ask for it. If you have one already don't ask for it. If you plan on putting it up on ebay d.....you get the picture. First come first serve

edit: Good till Dec 20th
sorry no good i guess

PM'ed. ...

I'm desperate for a code, will even try one that may be expired :(

I ran the official warhawk thread at penny arcade g&t for two years ... Don't know howvi haven't gotten into this beta yet

AndyD

aka andydumi
The beam turrets were weirdly overpowered though. Particularly with no one in them. They were more effective empty than when manned because they had perfect tracking of the hawks.

I think a good balance is possible and they should be powered so that two turrets can dispatch a hawk in about 5-6 seconds. But one turret in 7-10 seconds. That way it encourages smart building and actually using them rather than let them sit and auto destroy everything.

I have a spare beta code for (EU). I have Warhawk but I suck at it and my backlog keeps growing .....

First reply gets it

Edit: fuck it, first come first serve...

FPHA-5CNE-6C7E

DireStr8s

Crazy. Just lost a TDM in Space by 2 kills. The opposing team had no hawks & pressured my team with ever encroaching beacons. It sucks to lose, but, I went 15-0 in a hawk using homers and melees. It's just funny to me that I can abuse the mech form far more easily than I ever could with the much hated/loved hover mode.

Top Bottom