• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk Leaked Screenshots [Grainy Video]

Xater

The Lamp said:
ROFL

I wonder if you can put them anywhere! Maybe, if there's a gang of troops that are approaching you, you can just smush them. Hahaha.

If you want to check it happens at 1:10

Raist

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
2vkc2vq.gif

Dat missile swarm :eek:. Hope they got rid of the lame shake off maneuver tho.

Graphically it's a huge leap from wowhawk. Gameplay looks very similar (which is a good thing) and that RTS thing sounds cool. Need to see moar.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm not onboard the hype train yet... I like the light RTS elements, that's cool. The transformations are nice. It feels and looks a lot like Warhawk which isn't a bad thing but it's not enough yet to get me personally excited. I think subconsciously I was expecting at least some space combat (maybe around space stations so there are still structures).

The terrain itself looks ... I don't want to use the word 'generic' because I feel it's a bit overused and not completely appropriate but it doesn't look good. It doesn't feel like it has a strong art direction IMO.

I can see why Sony chose to reveal this one first, hopefully they are saving the bigger stuff till closer to E3 or at E3.

I am not knocking it, I'm just not on-board yet.

The missile swarm thing feels completely lifted out of ZOE which is not a bad thing.

Wow, this is looking pretty promising. I never picked up War Hawk despite me always thinking it looked like a lot of fun, so I'll be keeping a close watch on this one.

Since Red Faction: Armageddon ditched competitive multiplayer and Brink was a complete disappointment, this finally might just be my multiplayer game of choice!

rexor0717

Oh man, that direct feed footage was amazing. This is pretty much everything I could want out of Starhawk. I wonder what the muliplayer player cap will be? I hope at least 32. Also, I really hope they put some variety in the map types. I'm sure there will be, hopefully an icy one like the Warhawk expansion.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Graphics look pretty good, transformations look nice...but the RTS/TPS thing is going to doom this. Personally, I'm underwhelmed. Flying around and such looks ace, but everything else looks boring.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OMG. I remember on more than one occasion walking around my base in Warhawk wondering 'wouldn't it be cool if I could change this around, build stuff' :O

I am loving that!

The fact it's not space-based is a bit of a downer - it seems it is just a reference to the lore and all that, rather than a reference to breaking out into open space. But oh well. Taking it as it is, it seems like Warhawk taken to the nth degree which is no bad thing in my book. Plus it looks great - I just wanted to see someone flying into those clouds!

Carl

Kintaro said:
Graphics look pretty good, transformations look nice...but the RTS/TPS thing is going to doom this. Personally, I'm underwhelmed. Flying around and such looks ace, but everything else looks boring.

Warhawk ground combat didn't LOOK fun, but it was fun when you played it.

mujun

I didn't realize it had RTS elements and stuff similar to what was in The Outfit. That definitely raises my interest level.

I really can't (despite wanting to) into MP shooters. I do, however, love games that let me act as support for a team, especially where I can almost solely play support while most of the rest of my team works on offense.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kintaro said:
If it makes the title feel unique then I'm thinking it would do the opposite. This game will be going up against Rage, BF3, Sony's own Twisted Metal, and possibly Mercs Inc for a piece of the now trendy multiplayer vehicular combat pie.

Atruvius

Judging by those earlier pictures I didn't get all excited but those gifs have won me over. God damn that flying looks ace. And sky looks really beautiful. Makes me want to start playing Warhawk again, even though I suck at it.

Now the only thing to be afraid of is that it doesn't have serverlists.

Verendus

Banned
Game looks amazing.

Only thing I don't like is the art direction. From the footage I've seen of the previous game, Warhawk, this looks to have gone in the wrong direction with that aspect.

Sorc3r3r

BeeDog said:
Aside from the very shaky FPS, this looks better than Warhawk in every way.

I agree with this.

If it's going to play as good as it seems from those clips, Starhawk will be my last purchased game in this generation, i do not need anything else.

So awesome on so many levels.

Carl

Kintaro said:
I played Warhawk. It wasn't fun to me. =/ The flying was the highlight.

I only ever used 'hawks to get from one place to another. Mainly stuck to ground combat, played for ~180 hours. Loved the hell out of it.

Carl said:
I only ever used 'hawks to get from one place to another. Mainly stuck to ground combat, played for ~180 hours. Loved the hell out of it.

I loved the tanks. Shooting warhawks out of the sky felt so good.

Loudninja

PS3 exclusive Starhawk announced
On the multiplayer side, Starhawk features 32-player matches, up to four-player online and offline co-op play, and split-screen gameplay within multiplayer and co-op modes against an endless attack of enemies.

The game supports tournaments, leaderboards, clans and additional friend list and quick matches. There's a community events calendar, ticker tape updates, and plans for a Starhawk Android app.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-13-ps3-exclusive-starhawk-announced

Hanmik

Mechs, Rifts & Waiting Twelve Months: Hands On With Starhawk

Sequels, as we know all too well, are the lifeblood of publishers across the globe: take the basic idea of a hit game and polish, refine it and throw it back out there. Dead Space 2 was fantastic, but it’s essentially a shiny Dead Space 1; Uncharted 2 had improvements over Drake’s first adventure, but in terms of gameplay it wasn’t a big step up. So, with this slightly jaded view of the gaming world and follow-up titles, I wasn’t all that excited when Sony asked us to go and play Starhawk at an exclusive unveiling..... more at link

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/13/mechs-rifts-waiting-twelve-months-hands-on-with-starhawk/

Looked great in the video. I'm sold on the graphics and gameplay, now to see if the singleplayer holds up; not really interested in multiplayer (had a lot of fun with Warhawk, but didn't play much).

Hanmik

stupid Joystiq...

And yes, the timing of the announcement is unfortunate. After years, the multiplayer-heavy Starhawk ends up being announced in the middle of a total PSN outage. But LightBox's DeVore wasn't at all worried about the timing. "It has nothing to do with that at all," he said. "Really, what it comes down to is that it was either doing something for ourselves that we felt would be about Austin and the studio and the game and what's going on, or waiting until E3, and doing something where we felt like there was a lot of other great stuff coming out." The outage "just happens to be going on right now."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/13/starhawk-preview/

why the fuck did they have to mention the PSN outage in a Starhawk Preview?

4 page interview with Dylan

Will you be incorporating split-screen support again?

Yeah, absolutely. We’re not doing 4-way split-screen. That’s something important to note. Four-way split-screen in Warhawk, really when it came down to it, there was so much development cost that went into doing it. When we really looked at the number of players from our data that used it, it was really hard to justify. Especially with Build & Battle and all of our other core systems, we thought it was better to just focus on two screens, which is more common. There’s other great stuff like storing controller configurations and customizations up on the network, so you can go to your buddy’s house and log in and get your stats and control map and all of that stuff.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s.../lightbox-39-s-dylan-jobe-talks-starhawk.aspx

Mik2121

Woah, this thing looks HOT. Unless they fuck it up, day 1. Loved Warhawk, and this seems like more of it with cool mechs and shit :D

jiggles

Banned
EDIT:nvm

As long as it doesn't turn out like Brutal Legend did, I'm happy. RTS is one of my least favourite genres, an I'm generally terrible at it.

le.phat

Carl said:
"the Android app that will allow you to stay in constant touch with the Starhawk universe whilst you are away from your PS3."

Nice.

So NGP integration is what they're REALLY saying :p

Top Bottom