• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Something I just thought of: Riders on the jetbike need a melee kick to be able to kick and kill other riders. To make that more viable, the bikes also need a boost option so chases aren't stagnant, one-speed stalemates. That constant push and pull of hover bike chases will give the bikes some life as well as the melee option instead of stopping dead to aim and shoot.

Nightz

Something I just thought of: Riders on the jetbike need a melee kick to be able to kick and kill other riders. To make that more viable, the bikes also need a boost option so chases aren't stagnant, one-speed stalemates. That constant push and pull of hover bike chases will give the bikes some life as well as the melee option instead of stopping dead to aim and shoot.

If they add this, they should also add a race mode for jetbikes. Road Rash! <3

T-0800

I hope I'm wrong and everthing is fixed but at the moment I think this game could be broken beyond repair. Every game is nothing but base rape (I hate the expresion) and there appears no way to turm things around once you have lost control of your base. Just now there was nothing I could do. I called in a tank but was killed as it landed. By the time I respawned the enemy had destroyed it. It's impossible to spawn into cover and anything you build can be destroyed in seconds. Last night I was playing a game where we had 4 or 5 tanks at a time just outside our base and everytime I would build a wall it was destroyed in seconds.

I'm not sure what can be done. Perhaps if walls built inside your base were incredibly strong but weaker the further out you built them that would help a little.

I'm just getting sick of it happening in every game regardless of game type. If you can control the opposing base you are unbeatable. Maybe if each base had a structure that couldn't be destroyed that people could spawn in and then be able to fire rocket launches from you could hold tanks and hawks at bay. I really don't know.

Jaeyden

Yeah, last nights play sucked. Rape or get raped pretty much all night long. Just wasn't really any fun...regardless if you're winning or losing. They've got to tweak some of this stuff.

DireStr8s

Alot of players are tanking while the tanking is good. My teammates said as much last night. Hopefully after the nerf we won't see 15 tanks rolling into your home base.

Btw, I received the Warhawk skin & beta "glove" in a PSN message this morning.

Shadybiz

... Maybe if each base had a structure that couldn't be destroyed that people could spawn in and then be able to fire rocket launches from you could hold tanks and hawks at bay. I really don't know.

I was thinking this myself. Just maybe have a small base that can't be destroyed, and then just use the BnB system to build out from there. That way you'd always have someplace to regroup no matter what. That could probably solve alot of these issues.

KalBalboa

Banned
Being able to walk around,shoot and stop shit and fly off is much worst.

I disagree. Players spawn with three grenades which can do some incredible damage to, if not completely kill, a walking Hawk. Hovering Warhawks were almost impossible to kill if you had just spawned in the original Warhawk. Plus, you can spawn drop right onto a walking Hawk, seeing as how much slower they are on foot.

Jaeyden

Dropping on someone when you spawn is a fucking gamble though and is hardly any way of routing the enemy. 99% of the time you think "Oh, I'll take this guy out on the spawn. Then he sees you coming in, backs up a bit, watches you land and waits until you pop out and kills you. Rinse and repeat.

Shiloa

Dropping on someone when you spawn is a fucking gamble though and is hardly any way of routing the enemy. 99% of the time you think "Oh, I'll take this guy out on the spawn. Then he sees you coming in, backs up a bit, watches you land and waits until you pop out and kills you. Rinse and repeat.
Aim a little behind them as you drop so they can't see you coming in.

eroots

Starhawk must be selling well. I went to Walmart to pick up a copy and they were all sold out. I was hoping to get into it today..

OSHAN

I think I found my favorite way to play, and that's Zones, 8 vs 8, small maps, and a small score limit, like 1000 small. The matches are much more frantic and they're no long stretches of just waiting for the match to end because the score limit is 10000 and you're either getting dominated or dominating. I have been in only a few 30 minute matches which didn't turn into a waiting game for the final 3rd of the match.

KalBalboa

Banned

Everything in MP is a gamble, the trick is being smart about what risks you take and when you take them. Skill and reaction times are also a big factor, but if you play your cards right you can honestly defeat any opponent in this game. Hell, you can even drop structures onto enemies.

Bollocks

ugh, I just finished a game 28:0, I literally spent the whole game in one place with the ox heavy tank spamming their basis, I should have never been able to do that. I can only imagine the rage on the other team.
granted, we drove them back to their base but still, funny thing was that every 2 shots I needed to readjust the tank because the kickback would send it back.
that game alone sent me from lvl 8 to 10 lol

OSHAN

ugh, I just finished a game 28:0, I literally spent the whole game in one place with the ox heavy tank spamming their basis, I should have never been able to do that. I can only imagine the rage on the other team.
granted, we drove them back to their base but still, funny thing was that every 2 shots I needed to readjust the tank because the kickback would send it back.
that game alone sent me from lvl 8 to 10 lol

Someone was doing something similar last night in one of my games. He positioned himself a good distance from our base and built two arms near his tank and was just firing shells. Granted, it didn't last very long. He was swarmed by rocket launcher users but he did a bit of damage. I thought it was pretty amusing.

KalBalboa

Banned
Someone was doing something similar last night in one of my games. He positioned himself a good distance from our base and built two arms near his tank and was just firing shells. Granted, it didn't last very long. He was swarmed by rocket launcher users but he did a bit of damage. I thought it was pretty amusing.

The fact he built two arms is actually kind of brilliant. He must have had help- that would cost a lot of rift up front.

OSHAN

The fact he built two arms is actually kind of brilliant. He must have had help- that would cost a lot of rift up front.

Arms are what, 4 rift each? Just planning ahead I guess. I thought it was smart tactic as well. Really required the full attention of three people with rocket launchers to take him out.

Loudninja

Hah pretty awesome.

Cant wait to join you guys.

KalBalboa

Banned
Arms are what, 4 rift each? Just planning ahead I guess. I thought it was smart tactic as well. Really required the full attention of three people with rocket launchers to take him out.

Can you drop shield generators outside of a base? That would be devilish. The electricity weapon in the hawk still disrupts them, right?

Dragnet

I see the Tank + ARM thing way too often, it's quite funny really. I roll round a corner and meet an enemy tank and he instantly drops an ARM and then just batters me usually. Seems like a waste of a structure unless he reclaims it afterwards.

KalBalboa

Banned
I see the Tank + ARM thing way too often, it's quite funny really. I roll round a corner and meet an enemy tank and he instantly drops an ARM and then just batters me usually. Seems like a waste of a structure unless he reclaims it afterwards.

Yeah, it's nothing a jetbike and some landmines can't cure, or even a carpet bomb.

OSHAN

Can you drop shield generators outside of a base? That would be devilish. The electricity weapon in the hawk still disrupts them, right?

Yeah you can drop it anywhere. If you get rolling with a few people you can really create a mini base anywhere.

Sat down to play MP last night - join a game - start to spawn-descend. FREEZE.

Hard-reboot the PS3.

How is this not fixed from the beta? This freezing bug has got to be fixed. Have they acknowledged this at all?

OSHAN

Hard-reboot the PS3.

How is this not fixed from the beta? This freezing bug has got to be fixed. Have they acknowledged this at all?

Haven't had any of those issues myself. Have you tried deleting and re-installing the game?

Having had any of those issues myself. Have you tried deleting and re-installing the game?

Yes, if you count uninstalling the Beta and installing/patching the retail version. I had the same problem in the Beta with freezing. If you google "starhawk freezing" you'll see that the problem is out there.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yes, if you count uninstalling the Beta and installing/patching the retail version. I had the same problem in the Beta with freezing. If you google "starhawk freezing" you'll see that the problem is out there.

Strange. What model PS3 do you have, slim? Fat? What size HD? Mine froze once during the campaign, but that's all so far.

Bollocks

What does the shield generator actually protect against?
The only reason I built one was cause I thought it would protect us from cluster bombs, I was wrong, they still penetrate the shield ._.

Also what do you guys use as ability?
I'm lvl 10 and so far have not yet spend any unlock points.

KalBalboa

Banned
The only reason I built one was cause I thought it would protect us from cluster bombs, I was wrong, they still penetrate the shield ._.

The automatic vehicle repair one for me. It gives you a slow Regen on the health of the vehicle you're in from time to time.

DireStr8s

I use the melee damage against structures/vehicles skill. Very good for rapidly destroying multiple enemy structures &, if I'm smart about it, I can kill a tank in 1 or 2 hits (pretty satisfying).

I have 2 PS3's under my TV.

One died last month wih BR drive failure but has a HUGE HDD in it with tons of my PSN games...so thats what its used for (I really dont feel like formatting it, copying files, re-downloading 100's of games)
My new model, a month old with standard HDD, I use for disc based stuff and will be upgrading the HDD for my further PSN purchases.

My new model has had 4 Starhawk freezes (up till yesterday morning when I sold the game) All of which have been in the hom screen during gameplay. Usually when accessing the skills menu.

So, dont think its the model, HDD, etc...

edit: I did the rebuild thing a million times with my PS3 with the big HDD and tons of games. I guess when the BR drive was failing freezes became a common occurence, maybe 1 or 2 a day. So everytime I rebooted my PS3 afetr a freeze it would ask me to "rebuild the HDD" or whatever. I did that rebuilding shit a ton of times before I just started hitting "cancel" instead of waiting for it to rebuild.

KalBalboa

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz2l_33AC74

I have a 500 gig hdd in my PS3 that was starting to freeze when I was around 150 gigs remaining; I did this and it's been working like new since. Maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know, but shouldn't hurt.

I do this about twice a year for kicks and it seems to keep freezing issues at bay.

Here's a text guide.

Based on how many people are noticing issues, I do think Starhawk might need some patching. This could help you though.

Dragnet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz2l_33AC74

I have a 500 gig hdd in my PS3 that was starting to freeze when I was around 150 gigs remaining; I did this and it's been working like new since. Maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know, but shouldn't hurt.

I'd totally do this if it didn't delete all my folders. My games and whatnot are all neatly organised and I have way too many to be bothered to re-organise them after doing that, as much as I want to :(

OSHAN

I'd totally do this if it didn't delete all my folders. My games and whatnot are all neatly organised and I have way too many to be bothered to re-organise them after doing that, as much as I want to :(

Even though it explicitly informs you I didn't notice and was in the same boat. Killed all my playlists as well. No big deal, but still, I'm so lazy.

Zoibie

Oh man, this is definitely a game of extremes.

On the one hand, build and battle with zones is fantastic. I've had some incredibly fun games with randoms where the whole team understood proper resource management and weren't just languishing in the spawn area. In smaller maps where the middle base is close enough that both teams can spawn a short distance away, this has led to some frantic battles at the end of a match.

On the other hand, BnB in TDM or CTF hasn't been as much fun with randoms. I know what I should be doing, but most of the time it seems pointless to try and capture the flag if there's no communication between the rest of the team.

Also, the cluster bomb can go to hell.

On the one hand, build and battle with zones is fantastic. I've had some incredibly fun games with randoms where the whole team understood proper resource management and weren't just languishing in the spawn area. In smaller maps where the middle base is close enough that both teams can spawn a short distance away, this has led to some frantic battles at the end of a match.

On the other hand, BnB in TDM or CTF hasn't been as much fun with randoms. I know what I should be doing, but most of the time it seems pointless to try and capture the flag if there's no communication between the rest of the team.

Doesn't this just go to support the idea that all modes should have had capturable bases throughout the map? Just have that and remove the option to build outposts from the game, since that will also help curb one spawn raping tactic of placing outpost right at the edge of the enemy. WIN WIN WIN

Loudninja

That will get a update.

The Lamp

Still chugging along in the campaign and it's only getting more fun. Jumped into a multiplayer Zones match in Echo and holy crap, this is the best multiplayer game on PS3, next to LittleBigPlanet 2. It was unbelievable. It was like warring ant colonies lol.

I've only played the beta but my 2 go to perks were the increased ammo carry, and gather outside the base (don't know either names). I used the rift perk early matches when I was blitzing the other base, the increased ammo when the 32 structure limit was reached. The perk that increases clip size was useful if you use single shot weapons a lot since it doubled the clip size to 2 (the rocket launcher, the homers, the flack, etc). But the higher ammo carry limit is really the best perk, doubles the amount you can carry.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I broke down and picked this up today after a series of misadventures. I hate to say I had to buy it at gamestop, but at least it was sealed new. I'm downloading the patch now.

I had to cancel my Resistance: Burning Skies preorder, since I promised myself I wouldn't buy a ton of games this month Starhawk won out because of my love of Warhawk, and the fact that I enjoyed the beta a lot. Resistance Vita was an unknown. I KNOW I'm going to enjoy Starhawk. I'll wait until a demo of RBS is up.

3 minutes until the patch is done...

Top Bottom