• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

roboshawn

Neo Member
Yeah, I got mine. The nemesis paint skin looks awesome.

You didn't rebuild the database by any chance did you? That deletes messages. I was about to yesterday but thought I should check and see if I got it before doing it. I was at the reboot menu screen already but luckily there was a restart system option. Sure enough, the message was there.

What's this about a database? I'm so confused. Also, I still haven't seen any PSN messages in my account for Starhawk items.

Haha. Earlier people were discussing rebuilding their ps3's database but doing so deleted messages. Just wondered if you performed that action as well. Guess not.

GodofWine

In the pregame load screen, it looks like there is some sorta missle launcher thing next to the beam tower, but I never saw the ability to build one in game....? Any one know what that is?

roboshawn

Neo Member

GodofWine

Observation so far:
- rifle needs more power
- sound is lacking at times...often in vehicles it kinda gets quiet
- people are still learning the game
- the various loadout approach sucks...just put all structures in all games...the no tank, no jet bike option is terrible.

Observation so far:
- rifle needs more power
- sound is lacking at times...often in vehicles it kinda gets quiet
- people are still learning the game
- the various loadout approach sucks...just put all structures in all games...the no tank, no jet bike option is terrible.
Right on. I agree. And I thought I was the only one who had the sound in vehicle issue. My one major gripe is the loadout options. It's unecessarily hodge-podgey.

Loudninja

Play-testing Some "Base-Ravaging" Fixes
It feels really good to be back in the mode of pushing game-balance update to our Starhawk players world-wide! And since our release on May 8th, we've been watching the comments about base-ravaging. We agree with those comments -- base-ravaging always sucks -- and we're seeing it when we play online as well. We're also seeing it in the game analytics.

So we just finished up an internal playtest using the initial set of changes we're planning to roll out next week. These are largely weapon damage, AoE and Build & Battle Rift cost changes but they made a really positive difference! The Design Team is discussing the results of the session right now and may have some other things they want to tune for next-week's balance update.

We're also going to start something new that we *DIDN'T* do during the BETA. We're going to be telling you guys about all of the changes we are going to make ahead of time before we deploy the update. This will help fuel discussion and debate in the community and really provide you guys with just a general "heads-up" to the changes.

Also, now that Starhawk is released globally, we need to make sure that individual players and their clans are aware of what's going to change *AND* when! This is especially true since many of our players are now involved in Starhawk tournaments.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. I threw in a few pics of the team working on some of the models and textures for the lush new world of Cypress. It's a really exciting and challenging environment for the team to be crafting, and the vegetation and organics are a really great addition to the collection of worlds in Starhawk.
http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/BLOG

Not sure how you can fix that without gimping everything too much. A tank should be powerful, it just shouldn't be plentiful. Limit how many can be on the playing field. If there is already a memory limit, force a smaller, game balancing limit.

Anything left unoperated for more than 45 seconds (or whatever works best) gets blown up once someone calls for another.

Really seems like Lightbox is on top of it. Good for them and the transparency. Seems like with all of this, and the non-splinter free DLC maps, the game is destined for greatness. I am, however, still freezing every session. :(

Booo. Replayed and beat the last mission on mercenary and didn't get the trophy. Sure it would have been cheap but I don't care. False info?

Anyone else see a little bit of Dylan Jobe in Emmit at the main menu?

The Lamp

I'm so sad...my birthday's coming up on monday and my PS3's laser died and won't play games anymore......I just barely got into Starhawk :(

I eventually want a snow map if possible, Lightbox lol. It was my favorite map in Warhawk.

FRIGGIN SNOW IN SPACE WOULD BE AWESOME!

Effect

Went from an all time high to a somewhat low with this game. :( Think I'll be trading it in a few days. Combination of issues. Matches just not turning out well looking back on them (coming changes could fix this or not), not wanting to compromise with dual analog controls for shooters anymore, and generally being tired of shooters for the time being. Best Buy should give me a pretty good price for it after I factor out the time I've spent with the singleplayer and online. Would be getting rid of MW3 at the same time and more then go my money out of that.

Dragnet

Not sure how you can fix that without gimping everything too much. A tank should be powerful, it just shouldn't be plentiful. Limit how many can be on the playing field. If there is already a memory limit, force a smaller, game balancing limit.

Anything left unoperated for more than 45 seconds (or whatever works best) gets blown up once someone calls for another.

I think a better solution would be to increase how much they cost to spawn. Limiting players to what they can use is annoying. You only have to be on the end of the '32/32 structures so I can't build what I need' issue to know that limiting that way isn't fun.

Dragnet

Digital Foundry's technical analysis. They're impressed by the technology underpinning the experience, a "beautiful game that's superb to play", and highly recommend people check out...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-starhawk

Still wish the framerate wasn't so shitty in big battles. Makes fine aiming, sniping etc really hard. Played split screen for the first time last night too and OH MY GOD, the game was literally dropping to sub 15fps, horrible. How did they manage smooth 4 player on Warhawk?!

Jaeyden

Well after a bit of a rough start, I gotta say I absolutely love this game. Seems that just about everyone knows what they're doing now and that goes a long way towards making the matches fun. As a Warhawk veteran I must admit that I probably tried a bit too hard to go all lone wolf when I first started playing this game. You really need to learn the maps/weapons and vehicles AND the right things to build and when to build them before everything starts clicking. I think there may have been a bit of a skill differential at first considering that the U.S. had the game for 4 days before the EU. Probably accounts for why I saw so many people quitting during matches at first...leaving teams terribly imbalanced. The more I play the more it feels like a better version of Warhawk. There are still a few minor balance issues (tanks can become too plentiful and the AOE on clusterbombs is a bit ridiculous) but I'm confident the patch will address those soon. Zones is probably the best game mode and for performance reasons 18 players and lower seems to be the best size for server. Anything above that and you can really start to see the frame rate go into the tank. I played all weekend and got to level 42. This is a game that just gets better the more you play, I just hope people stick around to see how much fun it can be. So glad I stuck it out, this game is awesome.

On a side note, I got my Beta/Warhawk skins code but they don't work because my account is an American PSN but I moved to the UK and the DLC doesn't work with my disc? Anyone know if I can get another code for the UK store?

rbanke

I think a better solution would be to increase how much they cost to spawn. Limiting players to what they can use is annoying. You only have to be on the end of the '32/32 structures so I can't build what I need' issue to know that limiting that way isn't fun.

Had this last night in Zones. We only had our own base (as usual) and they had somehow used 32 structures in it, which kept me from building an outpost elsewhere.

LOVE Warhawk, and am mostly loving Starhawk, but there are some real problems with how games play out compared to Warhawk.

-In Warhawk no matter how badly your base was being dominated, I could get out to a small base elsewhere and cap it and people could spawn there. Very rarely could another team keep everyone contained within the main base. In Starhawk, You have to first wait for enough rift to build an outpost which can be exceptionally difficult when you die instantly after spawning, then you have to go to where you want to put the outpost, only to have it destroyed seconds later. The spawn on player is helpful, but by far not enough.

-The B&B system has made the game effectively base A vs base B and rarely (except zones) do I see bases being setup anywhere else on the map, and when I do, they are destroyed very quickly. I really think they should have smaller bases scattered on the map that can be capped like Warhawk, but only have a permanent outpost rather than a full base, still allowing you to use the b&b to make a custom base around it. Also, I think structures might need to be harder to destroy at an actual base compared to say at a base made just in the middle of nowhere.

-Loadouts are setup badly. I understand the need to convey the available tech in the game list, but the loadouts are meaningless and the default should be everything. There is no loadout for all the tech which is odd.

-Weapon spawns need to be more prevalent. I and some friends are finding ourselves using the rifle almost all the time. I think in addition to the various weapon spawns on the map, they should maybe add more weapons that spawn with structures. Going so far out of the way just to get a wrench, mines, grinder, pistol makes them of little use.

-A lot of things in Starhawk are poorly or not at all explained. Various icons, the loadout system & some other things are simply not mentioned anywhere which is annoying.

They supported the hell out of Warhawk, and I'm sure they will fix a lot of the issues in Starhawk so I'm not too bummed, just wish some of this stuff worked together a bit better already.

The general play has improved so much in the last few weeks (which many of us predicted, high fives all around). I haven't been in a base getting shelled spawn after spawn in over a week. Base building has become logical. And when it's not, I (and other people like me) have absolutely zero qualms with reclaiming people's 3 supply depots right next to each other.

A game like this needs leaders and I've come to the conclusion that I understand base building more than the average moron on the PSN. They seem to be cool with this also as most games people see that im building well defended and logical structured (like WOW he put an arm between a shield generator and a beam turret - tactical genius!). And a lot of those dudes are just really, really good at flying warhawks... which is something I'm terrible at. I can't get a kill in one of those things to save my life.

This is why i love this game. Everyone has a role. I'm good at combat on foot and basebuilding... so I will likely stay in our home base for the first half of the game building it up and killing anyone trying to ninja it. And then I'll move out and try to secure the defenses for either our furthest forward base or i'll create a makeshift one off to the side.

I love it. I love it i love it i love it. This game is so fun. And I'm sure it's fun as well for the dudes that just hop in starhawks and have great twitch skills.

I'm looking forward to the first balance patch. And I'd like to see some loadouts tweaked.

Well for the people killin gthe type of play in the beta... if Warhawk had a beta you'd see the same thing; people playing a game they have no intention of buying and just fucking around. As they community toughens/fleshes out people will have scouting reports on other players just like in Warhawk.

For instance, in Warhawk I know Aced14 is a flaggrabber and will go for it every chance. I know [LBH] clan will swarm you in droves in hawks. EVERYONE knows markjayw is the biggest whining racist sonofabitch in Warhawk.

In a game that isn't even A MONTH OLD, people are looking for the same cliques that existed in Warhawk, yet you can't treat this game like Warhawk; it's not and neither is the player base. Realistically, I don't expect to see the first "it clicked for me" moments in the community for another 6-8 months after launch. That being said, they have work to do with the CTF.

It doesn't even bother me that I get destroyed most of time in Starhawk. I normally have at least one stand out moment of success in each game. Like defending one base, destroying tanks with the drop pod or running over the entire opposition in a Razorback! I even like it when the chips are down, the enemy controls every base but one, and you all just pull together and hang on for as long as possible. Zones is by far my favourite game type.

Feel free to add me for some games if anybody wants.

I second whoever said they don't mind getting creamed in this game because the moments when you kickass outweigh dying. I die because I'm fucking storming the gates, not because I suck. But when I do the killing, it is sooo damn good.

Playing Narrows, setting up a sniper tower and looking across the map with a battle raging above and below in all directions made for one of the more memorable vistas/setpieces I'd ever seen.

The only time I hate dying in a round is if the opposing team is on a Hawk high and your team just cannot catch a break. One round we were getting demolished by this team full of Hawks and I kept laying down beam turrets to at least give up a moments rest. Of course some asshole kept reclaiming them and would run off dying.

Is there a gaf server live right now? I'm jumping on.

Not that I know of, I just jumped offline too. =(

theBishop

Banned
The only time I hate dying in a round is if the opposing team is on a Hawk high and your team just cannot catch a break. One round we were getting demolished by this team full of Hawks and I kept laying down beam turrets to at least give up a moments rest. Of course some asshole kept reclaiming them and would run off dying.

Not that I know of, I just jumped offline too. =(

I just made a server.

Growing tired of these fucking overpowered Hawks. There must be two more modes in the near future of Starhawk as when you go to create a new game there are two slots that are empty. (Hero and Collection Mode?)

Why are you in such a rush to be dominated?

I mean if you are a submissive... hey I don't judge people.

-_- Oh Frank, I just want to be in your presence.

Top Bottom