• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

ironcreed

Banned
Well, this is going to be my go to multiplayer game for the foreseeable future. I am not great at it yet, but I love the way it plays, the maps, the way it looks and it is just a blast. Feels like an improvement over Warhawk in every way to me. I love it.

Sorc3r3r

I think CTF games are broken beyond repair.
The 90% of games i've played in CTF go in a horrible, horrible, horrible base ownage, can be fun for 3 or 4 times then it simply annoys.

It is way, way worse than Warhawk, where capturing a distant node could lead to reverse the flow of the game, now with descrutable nodes it becomes impossible to evade a base ownage.

Rebalancing weapons/vehicles will lead to nothing, the problem it's not there.

The build and battle it's cool and new, but it doesn't work with CTF at all.

Maybe it should be different in organized clan, but it will lead the great part of the newcomers and not-in-a-clan people to left the game in few weeks.

Yeah i'm pretty sad, this game was my most wanted of the year.

Jaeyden

Every game I played last night was just a lopsided base raping extravaganza. I want to love this game but it's just not fun getting owned/owning every single match with absolutely no way to turn the tides or even escape from your own base when you are getting camped. Would things be better balanced if defensive stuff like walls, shields and turrets cost considerably less to place in your own main base area?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Every game I played last night was just a lopsided base raping extravaganza. I want to love this game but it's just not fun getting owned/owning every single match with absolutely no way to turn the tides or even escape from your own base when you are getting camped. Would things be better balanced if defensive stuff like walls, shields and turrets cost considerably less to place in your own main base area?

Unless they've changed it: No. The issue is the hard limit for structures (32!) that is total for the whole team!

Fighting against your own team to build structures to expand/defend because you can only have 32 pieces on the map total is fucking stupid.

Jaeyden

I get what your saying, but just from my observations the game seems to always devolve into one team sitting on the other team's base with hawks and tanks, killing anyone that spawns before they can get up any defense or even try to escape off into the rest of the map. In this scenario, battling a 32 piece limit is never the issue. You would have to have structures all over the map, and if that's the case you can probably spawn somewhere besides your main base.

Sorc3r3r

I have an idea, that i think may work, they have to get rid of the all-seeing map, and do a rts style map, that shows only what you discover and do not refresh, or insert a jammer building.
In this way a new nodes could have a chance,and players time to organize a counterattack.

Ok i saved starhawk XD.

r.gun

Neo Member
I have an idea, that i think may work, they have to get rid of the all-seeing map, and do a rts style map, that shows only what you discover and do not refresh, or insert a jammer building.
In this way a new nodes could have a chance,and players time to organize a counterattack.

Ok i saved starhawk XD.

I agree with this. I snuck over the side of the enemy base yesterday and placed a node, thinking I was being all sneaky. Node was well hidden behind mountains and trees. Literally 30 seconds later a tank is all up in there blowing it to pieces.

Effect

From what I've experience the game works best when there are multiple points on the map to capture. It forces people out of the base and to build away from it. The problem still like said is limiting the build limit to the entire time. Each player should have a limited amount they can build. If they build something really high on the list then let that consume more of their build limit then if they build a few structures lower on the list. CTF and TDM always results into one side sieging the other once they get the upper hand. Instead of people trying to fight back they start dropping out which makes things even worse. There comes a point when everything you build just keep getting destroyed and you look at the scoreboard onto see it's 15 to 5 because auto balance isn't turned on. I've been in matches were I was on the winning side in one sided match. Wasn't fun at all from that side either.

roboshawn

Neo Member
So - I got this account like 3 years ago and was going to post some LBP levels I was working on, but then I got busy with having 2 babies ... and it didn't seem like it mattered anymore ... but now I've found a reason to post - Starhawk - love it and hate some of the MP balance issues ... but for my first post - going to comment on a good idea

Ok i saved starhawk XD.

Excellent idea. I think inserting outposts would also increase your sight through the "fog of war" around that outpost. As it is right now outposts are ridiculously expensive and vulnerable, but this might actually give them the edge they need. In closed beta I liked the cheaper outposts as it gave you a little more of a chance to not only build the outpost, but to defend it a little more quickly. Btw - has anyone played with the "leader" skill - the one that allows people to drop in around where you are located? This skill sounds like it could be really useful.

Additionally, my brother and I were also discussing how tanks can just fire blindly over mountains using the UI and the health bar indicators to determine if they hit something. Then they just keep firing until that health bar is depleted. The above "fog of war" would help with this, but it seems like there should be more skill involved with using such a destructive tool. Perhaps they'd need a spotter/scout to look around the mountain for them to tell them if they needed to turn their aim to actually hit the building.

roboshawn

Neo Member
Also - I beat the single player on Mercenary. It is pretty rough with some of the previously mentioned bad checkpointing. Also, I was playing it cold and there are certain things about playing it on Mercenary that would probably benefit you if you knew what was going to happen before it happened. There are certainly points where you have to spend around 10 minutes or so building a defense before the next part of the story hits because it is going to hit you very hard. Anyhow, loved it and recommend playing it if you want a challenge. Disappointingly, even though the last fight was awesome, it was a little easy ...

I think CTF games are broken beyond repair.
The 90% of games i've played in CTF go in a horrible, horrible, horrible base ownage, can be fun for 3 or 4 times then it simply annoys.

It is way, way worse than Warhawk, where capturing a distant node could lead to reverse the flow of the game, now with descrutable nodes it becomes impossible to evade a base ownage.

Rebalancing weapons/vehicles will lead to nothing, the problem it's not there.

The build and battle it's cool and new, but it doesn't work with CTF at all.

Maybe it should be different in organized clan, but it will lead the great part of the newcomers and not-in-a-clan people to left the game in few weeks.

Yeah i'm pretty sad, this game was my most wanted of the year.

I started seeing the opposite last night. Organized teams creating almost impenetrable bases.

In one game our bases was nearly impossible to get a flag out of, so the other team came over and built a base outside of it with 2 shields, a tank bay and other goodies and just sent wave after wave of tanks up at us trying to take out our defenses.

It was goddamn amazing. They did eventually overcome us, but as they did me and another dude snuck around and destroyed their new base so they got the one flag cap but that's it. Though the game ended one-nil - so good job to them.

Like I said a few pages back, once people start wrapping their heads around how this game works it's going to start playing much, much differently. I was surprised to see it so soon though. Man that game was fun.

Dragnet

Also - I beat the single player on Mercenary. It is pretty rough with some of the previously mentioned bad checkpointing. Also, I was playing it cold and there are certain things about playing it on Mercenary that would probably benefit you if you knew what was going to happen before it happened. There are certainly points where you have to spend around 10 minutes or so building a defense before the next part of the story hits because it is going to hit you very hard. Anyhow, loved it and recommend playing it if you want a challenge. Disappointingly, even though the last fight was awesome, it was a little easy ...

For those who want to, you can just play on easy then before you kill the last enemy/finish the level, change the difficulty to Mercenary. Cheap, but totally works.

roboshawn

Neo Member
For those who want to, you can just play on easy then before you kill the last enemy/finish the level, change the difficulty to Mercenary. Cheap, but totally works.

What what? If you change difficulty in the middle of a single player mission (or right before the end) you get the Merc cred? Damn ... Well, I'm better off with what I learned from playing it all through as Merc anyway.

Man, I can only imagine how easy Easy is ... probably mop the floor with them and fall asleep half way through - I played the first couple missions on Normal and it was easy - didn't really need much forethought ...

Btw - Co-op is tough in the Badlands! Has anyone beaten a co-op with friends on Mercenary difficulty or even Hard? It is tough just on Normal. I feel like the waves need a wait period or even an "I'm ready" like Dungeon Defenders does between waves. Or maybe reward you with a full bar of resources for winning that round? My brothers and I end up letting one guy live shooting a turret that is getting A.R.M repaired while we scrounge up resources and build more stuff ... but it feels broken just letting an AI dumbly shoot a repairing structure.

Loudninja

A patch and hotfixes are coming.

Things in the patch so far:
Server list scrolling bug
Addresses game stability
Uplink glitch

Hot fixes so far:
Cluster bombs being too power
Outposts being too expensive
Weapon updates
Tanks taking damage from sniper fire
Tanks being overpower
Homeworld lobby not allowing 4 players

Thats all I see from the tweets so far,hard to tell which are hot fixes and which will be in the patch.

The Lamp

Yeah something should be done about CTF. I haven't even been touching it much because Zones is so much better. I wish there were ways to play with the environment's buildings already set into the environment and you could just focus on playing and not building....just as an alternate setting for modes like CTF where the focus can get hectic. I don't know.

Beat the SP last night and loved it. I can see myself playing the last 2 chapters over and over. Pure, aerial combat mixed in with some major defense managing.

Yeah something should be done about CTF. I haven't even been touching it much because Zones is so much better. I wish there were ways to play with the environment's buildings already set into the environment and you could just focus on playing and not battling....just as an alternate setting for modes like CTF where the focus can get hectic. I don't know.
You're already focused on taking and/or defending a flag, who wants to spend resources out in bumfuck on a tempory base that is out of the way from the main objective?

Dragnet

I feel like your homeworld should be persistent. I spent an hour building a sick base the other night, and when I went back it was gone. I don't see the point if there isn't some persistence. Homeworld makes it sound like it's your area, to customise and do with what you will, so it shouldn't reset whenever you leave.

roboshawn

Neo Member
I feel like your homeworld should be persistent. I spent an hour building a sick base the other night, and when I went back it was gone. I don't see the point if there isn't some persistence. Homeworld makes it sound like it's your area, to customise and do with what you will, so it shouldn't reset whenever you leave.

Wow - I didn't realize it didn't save it - I assumed it would. Glad I only spent like 5 minutes mucking with my homeworld (which I realize now is not 'my' homeworld). I totally agree - this should just be another way to customize the game for yourself and with buddies ...

roboshawn

Neo Member
A patch and hotfixes are coming.

Things in the patch so far:
Server list scrolling bug
Addresses game stability
Uplink glitch

Hot fixes so far:
Cluster bombs being too power
Outposts being too expensive
Weapon updates
Tanks taking damage from sniper fire
Tanks being overpower
Homeworld lobby not allowing 4 players

Thats all I see from the tweets so far,hard to tell which are hot fixes and which will be in the patch.

These all sound promising - thanks for the update.

Had an amazing moment where a walking Halk had me pinned down in my drop pod. When the timer ran out I burst out and took him out using my rifle and grenades! This game is amazing for creating unique moments.

KalBalboa

Banned
Had an amazing moment where a walking Halk had me pinned down in my drop pod. When the timer ran out I burst out and took him out using my rifle and grenades! This game is amazing for creating unique moments.

The best is using your pistol to pop the pilot twice and then hijacking their hawk. You save so much rift and get to fly right off.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Real quick thoughts from my hour long play session of single player last night:

The visuals are impressive. My wife was like, "wow, that looks really good!" And yes, she's accustomed to games like God of War 3 and Uncharted, but I agree that Starhawk is a nice looking game. It's clean, and the art design is interesting. That first level really reminded me of Firefly.

The controls feel really, REALLY good. It didn't take long for me to start pulling off headshots and taking down other Starhawks with, well, relative ease.

I also really love the feature of building structures. It adds some really cool strategy to what would be a normal TPS.

The space level was really cool, and I'm looking forward to more of that.

I'm a little disappointed that we probably won't get much more in terms of world and story from the single player, as I find it a really cool, compelling environment. I wouldn't mind seeing something that expanded upon it. Maybe some single player DLC?

I loved Warhawk, and I can easily see myself sinking a lot of time into Starhawk. I enjoyed the MP in the beta, but I didn't get to spend much time with it.

I'm glad I picked it up, though, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next 4 hours to be over, so I can go home and play some more SP. I probably won't be playing MP anytime in the next few days, but I'll hop on after SP, when I'm sure I'll feel even more comfortable with the game mechanics.

KalBalboa

Banned

The visuals are impressive. My wife was like, "wow, that looks really good!" And yes, she's accustomed to games like God of War 3 and Uncharted, but I agree that Starhawk is a nice looking game. It's clean, and the art design is interesting. That first level really reminded me of Firefly.

The controls feel really, REALLY good. It didn't take long for me to start pulling off headshots and taking down other Starhawks with, well, relative ease.

I also really love the feature of building structures. It adds some really cool strategy to what would be a normal TPS.

I'm a little disappointed that we probably won't get much more in terms of world and story from the single player, as I find it a really cool, compelling environment. I wouldn't mind seeing something that expanded upon it. Maybe some single player DLC?

I loved Warhawk, and I can easily see myself sinking a lot of time into Starhawk. I enjoyed the MP in the beta, but I didn't get to spend much time with it.

I'm glad I picked it up, though, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next 4 hours to be over, so I can go home and play some more SP. I probably won't be playing MP anytime in the next few days, but I'll hop on after SP, when I'm sure I'll feel even more comfortable with the game mechanics.

You'll love some of the last levels of the campaign.

I would love to see the Starhawk lore expanded in a vita game (or otherwise) where BnB didn't have to be catered to. A more linear, cinematic experience with some open levels akin to the current game as well, of course.

So I'm looking through deals and auction to get Starhawk at a somewhat cheaper price, and I come across this wonderful description on eBay:
What a peace of crap. online code is used.
... I spent the next few minutes guffawing on the floor.

jred2k

So are people getting together to play tonight? I'll be on after 7pm EST and I'll be on for a while. I have't got an invite to the clan yet, so if anythings going on someone should just post in here.

There better be another event soon. Playing warhawk with my game night crew tonight (since not everyone has acquired Starhawk yet). My dad just got warhawk so we're going to show him the ropes.

roboshawn

Neo Member
Hey, anyone get their DLC codes for the Starhawk beta and/or Warhawk participation? My friend tells me he got codes as a message in his PSN yesterday and he wasn't even in Starhawk beta and doesn't even own Starhawk (he does own Warhawk though). I haven't seen any such PSN message myself and I was in Starhawk beta and owned Warhawk and own Starhawk ...

Zoibie

Pretty much my feelings toward the game too. I haven't finished the campaign yet, but the only thing I'd disagree on is the single player DLC. I like the story ideas behind Starhawk (I love Firefly) but so far, it hasn't been told very well.

Do yourself a favour, though. When you finish SP, make sure the first MP game you play is a zones match. Easily the most fun I've had with in a multiplayer game in a long time.

Hey, anyone get their DLC codes for the Starhawk beta and/or Warhawk participation? My friend tells me he got codes as a message in his PSN yesterday and he wasn't even in Starhawk beta and doesn't even own Starhawk (he does own Warhawk though). I haven't seen any such PSN message myself and I was in Starhawk beta and owned Warhawk and own Starhawk ...
Yeah, I got mine. The nemesis paint skin looks awesome.

You didn't rebuild the database by any chance did you? That deletes messages. I was about to yesterday but thought I should check and see if I got it before doing it. I was at the reboot menu screen already but luckily there was a restart system option. Sure enough, the message was there.

I got the hand. Have not received the paint jobs yet and yes I do have Warhawk.

Effect

Ugh. I would love for more single player missions. Multiplayer can be such a damn mess. Team build limits are defiantly the wrong way to go. People will constantly drop structures just so they get a ride and go regardless of what is already down. Or will drop a turret and not take it up when it's no longer needed. It's almost as if they don't know the build limit exist. Now that I think about it is actually very possible. I didn't even realize it at first I went to build something when I dropped into a match and saw everything blacked out and then saw the 32 of 32 flash in the corner. The single player doesn't seem to prepare you for that. Then again it isn't an issue since you have to end up rebuilding anyway as things will get destroyed often in the single player.

KalBalboa

Banned
So a few of us discovered a genius strategy last night I'd like to share with everyone.

By using the Squad Leader skill, players can spawn onto a friendly player who has that skill active. Last night we were in a stalemate during a CTF match where the enemy team had our flag held up in an Ox tank back at their base. So, a teammate with the Squad Leader ability got on a jetbike and drove clean across the map and through the enemy base, never stopping for combat or anything, and I just spawned on him from the sky, dropping onto the Ox.

Using this, three of us were able to spawn completely across the map instantly and drop directly onto tanks, warhawks, and sentries.

Unless they've changed it: No. The issue is the hard limit for structures (32!) that is total for the whole team!

Fighting against your own team to build structures to expand/defend because you can only have 32 pieces on the map total is fucking stupid.

Yeah, this killed a lot of fun for me. Especially when someone on my team would continuously keep bringing down my structures just so he could build his own.

I guess there has to be some kind of limit though.

roboshawn

Neo Member
So a few of us discovered a genius strategy last night I'd like to share with everyone.

By using the Squad Leader skill, players can spawn onto a friendly player who has that skill active. Last night we were in a stalemate during a CTF match where the enemy team had our flag held up in an Ox tank back at their base. So, a teammate with the Squad Leader ability got on a jetbike and drove clean across the map and through the enemy base, never stopping for combat or anything, and I just spawned on him from the sky, dropping onto the Ox.

Using this, three of us were able to spawn completely across the map instantly and drop directly onto tanks, warhawks, and sentries.

This - this is what I was curious to know when I asked about anyone using this skill earlier. Cool.

Top Bottom