• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Dragnet

I hope for Warhawk 2 to be a PS4 launch title.

I'd love for Warhawk and Starhawk to take place in the same universe..at the same time! Get the dudes from Starhawk to land on some planet, turns out it's the one from Warhawk. Boom! Maybe even it's the world of Warhawk (Eucadia?) many years later, deserted, decrepid and broken down, but mineral rich or something. I just don't want to give up Build and Battle!

Linch

Neo Member
I loved Warhawk (sadly don't really have any friends on PS3 so never played with friends) but it was a great game to go solo and also as a team. Felt fast and fun.

I think I bought all the DLC for it actually, they were great.

Is Starhawk worth a look? I played a bit of the beta and enjoyed it, but the aforementioned lack of friends to play it with put me off a bit). Still I did enjoy it and I loved the concept and settings.

Dragnet

I loved Warhawk (sadly don't really have any friends on PS3 so never played with friends) but it was a great game to go solo and also as a team. Felt fast and fun.

I think I bought all the DLC for it actually, they were great.

Is Starhawk worth a look? I played a bit of the beta and enjoyed it, but the aforementioned lack of friends to play it with put me off a bit). Still I did enjoy it and I loved the concept and settings.

If you enjoyed Warhawk and the beta, of course it's worth a look. Maybe wait for a small price drop though? The balance is still being tweaked and people are still learning the game, but it's coming together and I'm having more and more amazing moments. It's like the best of Warhawk plus 'Battlefield moments', those rare, amazing events that you wish you could go back and watch again. Really wish there was a replay mode in this game! Especially as Dylan Jobe was pushing it on the pro-gaming circuit.

Mileena

Banned
I don't understand why this game isn't doing better... It's absolutely fantastic in multiplayer and there's nothing else like it, except Warhawk of course.. But, I think it's so much better than Warhawk, once you figure out the battle & build aspect.

Sony has too many shooters. Did anyone really expect this one to do well? Resistance 3, SOCOM 4 and MAG all did pretty shitty in sales as well iirc

Dragnet

I'd totally play a dedicated Starhawk RTS with Move controls and stuff. Sometimes I wish the game had a 'Commander' type mode where one player get watch over and influence the battlefield.

Side note, I think when you're playing in a party, your party members should be made move visible in the game and on the map. Was playing split-screen with a buddy earlier and we often lost each other and found it hard to identify where each other were.

That's impossible. One must win for some reason as you can't play both. Not allowed.
You're right. Guess it's time to sell all of my other games. Only ONE is allowed in this household OR ELSE!

In a Warhawk 2, I'd like to see warsharks. That's right, this game's battles take place in the air, land and sea. Aircraft carriers in the sea act as bases and CAN BE CONTROLLED TO MOVE INTO OFFENSIVE/DEFENSIVE POSITIONS! Warsharks are highspeed, armored boats that have similar properties as razorbacks (mounted gun) but can fire torpedos (not the Starhawk kind). Everything else from Warhawk makes a return as well.

JJD

I bought the game, but with my current backlog I'm afraid the MP will be dead by the time I got into it... :-(

Lightbox should have made this game a launch title for PS4.

People would be more open to new things, I bet the game would have done better.

Bollocks

Damn that game can be awesome sometimes, most of the time you join it's lop-sided but once in a while you get a good balanced game. Just had a 30m zone game where the last remaining zone switched teams every 30sec. It was a battle back and forth, we won by a small margin so awesome.

Eccocid

Just bought the game today. I couldnt decide this or Draons Dogma for 10 minutes while browsing games and ended up buying Starhawk.

Well...as first impressions..Where the hell are dedicated servers?!?! So it is p2p only? Wish it had official servers too like in Warhawk.

It is not brutal as ppl say it in here. Especially if you have played Warhawk before. I tried single player for 10 minutes but it felt very forced. Then jumped too online.

What i noticed is base camping is rampart in this game. Since it is difficult to find a proper 32 player servers i was stucked in empty low count player servers where ppl just camp at enemy base and kill you when you step out of your pod..duh.. i guess it needs more balancing.

I really loved the new shooting gameplay instead of those auto locks in Warhawk. Gunplay feels very smooth and weapons are nice. Building part is kinda meh for me. It is very hectic and ppl just build randomly from what i have seen.

My biggest complain would be the art direction and maps..... They all look and feel same. I wish they had the charm and distinction of Warhawk maps. They are boring..seriously very boring and all the maps look like each other.

Oh and where is Gaf clan? I am from gmt+2 and psn id is GimmeCat

Zoibie

Damn that game can be awesome sometimes, most of the time you join it's lop-sided but once in a while you get a good balanced game. Just had a 30m zone game where the last remaining zone switched teams every 30sec. It was a battle back and forth, we won by a small margin so awesome.

Those games are the best. Especially if it's on a map where the contested zone is close enough to both teams' bases that you can both spawn inside the capture radius.

BTW, does everyone else have to keep agreeing to the Terms of Service every time they start the game or is it just me?

Just bought the game today. I couldnt decide this or Draons Dogma for 10 minutes while browsing games and ended up buying Starhawk.

Well...as first impressions..Where the hell are dedicated servers?!?! So it is p2p only? Wish it had official servers too like in Warhawk.

It is not brutal as ppl say it in here. Especially if you have played Warhawk before. I tried single player for 10 minutes but it felt very forced. Then jumped too online.

What i noticed is base camping is rampart in this game. Since it is difficult to find a proper 32 player servers i was stucked in empty low count player servers where ppl just camp at enemy base and kill you when you step out of your pod..duh.. i guess it needs more balancing.

I really loved the new shooting gameplay instead of those auto locks in Warhawk. Gunplay feels very smooth and weapons are nice. Building part is kinda meh for me. It is very hectic and ppl just build randomly from what i have seen.

My biggest complain would be the art direction and maps..... They all look and feel same. I wish they had the charm and distinction of Warhawk maps. They are boring..seriously very boring and all the maps look like each other.

Oh and where is Gaf clan? I am from gmt+2 and psn id is GimmeCat
First, when searching for a game, press right on the d-pad and select the filter option. Deselect "hide full games". This will show games that have 30/32 and such. Keep refreshing the list and more games will open.

While in the filter option, select zones only. The game is at its best in this mode.

Eccocid

First, when searching for a game, press right on the d-pad and select the filter option. Deselect "hide full games". This will show games that have 30/32 and such. Keep refreshing the list and more games will open.

While in the filter option, select zones only. The game is at its best in this mode.

Yeah, Zone was my fav mode on Warhawk but too bad ppl were prefering CTF :/

Suffered another CTF game with 32 players. Ugh enemy hawks were smashing everyone on the base. I wish they didnt include this building stuff in to this. I prefer strategic points designed by the developers instead of players who are not good at anything when it comes to co-op. CTF is pretty useless right now with randoms.
OH and are they gonna nerf Hawk guns? I remember it was never that easy to kill players with planes turret in WH. It is few shots and bam u are dead.

Bollocks

Can you run people over with the tank while they are still in the pod?
Cause that's what I just did, at least it looked like that. Was it just a coincidence or can you really do that cause that's a #gamechanger?

Eccocid

Can you run people over with the tank while they are still in the pod?
Cause that's what I just did, at least it looked like that. Was it just a coincidence or can you really do that cause that's a #gamechanger?

I think i was killed by a big explosion while i was in pod once.

oh and once i left the pod in the mid air and fell all the way to surface and didnt die lol..

Btw anyone else having sound glitches? Sometimes sound goes off i cant hear sound effects of my weapons or anything.

Eccocid

Also one quesiton;
In Warhawk if you walk while holding knife you would be invisible on the radar and map.
Does crouching do the same effect on Starhawk? I really dont liek the idea of seeing everyone on the map all the time. There is no way to sneak up in to empty zones. :(

I wish radar had a radius . Seeing everyone on whole map is fucking annoying.

I miss the days when i was sneaking to enemy base and placing mines all around the place in Warhawk.

fixuis

Yeah I get the terms of service every time as well..maybe its because I have a region 2 copy and I'm using it with my NA account?

This game needs the following fixes stat..

1. Add official servers.

2. The ability to see the next map in the rotation.

3. Ability to bookmark servers.

Also are the beta gifts region locked? I was in the beta playing with my U.S account and got the war hawk paint pack and hand of the gods but my region 2 copy won't see it. Anyway to get a region 2 gift..if somebody has a code for those..can they pm me please. Thanks.

Jaeyden

^^ Yeah, same issue here, same situation. Might need to import a NA copy for the skins to work. The EULA is annoying, especially if you accidentally hit do not accept...lol it defaults to that choice. I think there was a link to sign up for the codes if you had not received them but I haven't looked into it. Might work?

Bollocks

The EULA bug only happens with the SCEE version, Jobe is aware of that hopefully it gets patched with the next patch.
Speaking of the patch, I thought I would abuse the tank once again before it gets nerfed, went 54-0 and got 18 battle badges, I feel so dirty now lol

Eccocid

I have played for around 2 hours on same server which was only Zone mode.
Is there anyway to disable Hawks? Cuz in that 2 hour map rotations i seen them only few times on some maps.

To be honest it is more fun when there are no Hawks around. With only 16 ppl and everyone focused on trying to capture the middle zone it was very fun.

I have played for around 2 hours on same server which was only Zone mode.
Is there anyway to disable Hawks? Cuz in that 2 hour map rotations i seen them only few times on some maps.

To be honest it is more fun when there are no Hawks around. With only 16 ppl and everyone focused on trying to capture the middle zone it was very fun.
Yes, it's a loadout called "ground pounder".

KalBalboa

Banned
Yesterday we had five Gaffers on for some Zones matches. It was probably the best afternoon I've had online with the game so far, thanks to everyone communicating and taking advantage of each other's skills (that spawn point ability is a game-changer).

We had one game where we were winning from start to finish until the opposing team almost snuck up with world victory in the last two minutes. All they did was capture (not maximize) every zone and leave us without a spawning point, but we managed to recapture and hold into one point just long enough to win.

Loudninja

Stability Patch 1.02 is now LIVE!
Very, *VERY* early this morning at 4am Central time we performed world-wide server maintenance and deployed a new patch for Starhawk. The patch is focused on resolving the most common crashes as well as providing a new automatic system of recording any network errors that players encounter. There were however a few other things that were included in the patch so here's the full list:

• Fixed for the prominent Crashes & Locks
  • Added automated network disconnect error-reporting
  • Fixed missing sound FX for when missiles are dodged
  • Fixed XP display for players already at the first-tier level cap of 50
  • Fixed Server-List so it can scroll properly and display the full-set of global games
  • Fixed texture paging bug that sometimes caused a blank Uplink
  • Fixed the Sweet-Tooth's awesome butcher's blade accessory
  • Fixed the bug causing only 4 players to be allowed into your Homeworld
  • Fixed bug that caused the Clan Leader board to scroll incorrectly
  • Fixed Server-List filter on full games to work properly

As we've mentioned before, the team here at LightBox Interactive is working on another game balance update and we'll be providing you the list of all of the changes next week! We're also hearing our community "Loud & Clear" on our voice issues. The team at LightBox Interactive has spent many days debugging what the issue is and we've relayed that information to our Network team at SONY. They are currently investigating a fix and we'll be sure to keep you all posted!

We are very thankful of our community's patience and we are fully committed to making sure the Starhawk experience continues to improve with Updates and Patches as well as grow with FREE downloadable maps!
http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/blog/

Played a fuckload yesterday. Still loving it.

I wish you could have 2 perks active at a time though, I don't feel any of them are so game changing that stacking 2 of them would hurt.

Also, hurry up with the balance patch cuz most matches are still hugely one sided!

I just received my copy of Starhawk today. I'll be getting that [GAF] clan invite now, thank you kindly.

SHIT IS ABOUT TO GET REAL, AND CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN...

EDIT: PSN TheFrankman86

I just received my copy of Starhawk today. I'll be getting that [GAF] clan invite now, thank you kindly.

SHIT IS ABOUT TO GET REAL, AND CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN...

Niccceeee.

Im still loving it. The patch did a wonderful job in toning down the tanks and hawks without making them completely limp.

Lagunamov

I play every day and I love it. A smart evolution of Warhawk, my ID is Laguna1989, if someone can send me a clan invite I'll thank him.

Ok guys, I've decided to start hosting games like I did during the beta again. I'm currently doing a 5-map, Classic Beta, 20 min 10,000 point Zones game called NeoGAF. Believe. Come on and join.

At about 6 PM EST I'll make another game, it'll be a mix of Zones/CTF with all 5 maps. What I plan to do is the two maps that where in beta will be Classic Beta CTF games, two others will be Zones with a 10,000 point limit (is that too high?) and I'll see if I can throw in either a DM or TDM for the last one.

The game name will be NeoGAF. BELIEVE...

Top Bottom