• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

The GAF-clan is. I haven't seen any of the clan members playing it for over a month.

I keep meaning to start playing again. It'd be great to see a resurgence in the GAF clan, I remember back when we all used to join each other's games.

I wouldn't have stopped playing this game if it wasn't for exams and the terrible spawn camping back in May.

KalBalboa

Banned
I need to get back online sometime soon. I just moved and have been without an internet connection since July, but I'll hopefully rejoin you guys this weekend.

Playing with random people makes it seem like there is no strategy or teamwork.

Yep. That's why I stopped playing. It's almost like it was me vs. the other team vs. my own team wasting buildings on 20 turrets. I would definitely be willing to jump back in with a group though. Even without a clan I think 3-4 working together could really change the tide of a battle.

feel free to add me psn id zerostrife

I won't have any time to play within the next week though -_-

sometimes

Neo Member
New update today for Starhawk

details can be found here

Bug fixes
Two FREE maps on the Planet of Cypress
Custom music via XMB

7751776284_20b209338e.jpg

KalBalboa

Banned
New update today for Starhawk

details can be found here

Bug fixes
Two FREE maps on the Planet of Cypress
Custom music via XMB

7751776284_20b209338e.jpg

YES.

I'm finally back online at my new apartment- hopefully I'll be on sometime this week. I just got the All-Stars beta, Sound Shapes, and will be getting the Jak collection... but I can make time for Starhawk.

The drop pod, voice chat, and structure improvements all sound great too- I can't wait to play this.

jred2k

Anybody plan on jumping on today to check the maps out when they're released? My PSN is North_Lights911 if anyone wants to play. If you see me on Uncharted 3 just send me an invite. Hopefully the maps will bring some people back to the game and we could organize something at some point this weekend.

Edit: Got rid of the whining.

Can you guys explain to me how to properly scrub missiles? Plus, I don't even know how to read the warning prompt. Does that mean I've been locked-on to or that missiles have been fired? Shouldn't there be seperate sound effects to make it easier? Everything about flying I need to completely relearn from warhawk because I'm not having fun in the air.

This game's other modes need capturable spawn points like zones without the expanded radii. How that still hasn't been added blows my mind. Playing TDM is meaningless without it for me.

And CTF is now "ignore the guy fleeing with the flag and try to capture theirs". As someone suggested, go back to the old rule and make capturable spawn points to make it easier to spawn in and make a stop. "Oh, we want people to use our BnB system to make their own defenses and forward spawns". Sounds neat on paper, not in practice. There's NO WAY that a team could create map-wide defenses to stop the flag carrier once he leaves the over-defended base. GIVE US CAPTURABLE SPAWN ZONES SO WE CAN USE YOUR BNB SYSTEM PROPERLY!!! By that, I mean spread out across the map and not just at the base or around the tiniest spawn tower in the opposite direction of the fleeing enemy... How many times can I fix your game in word form before you actually do it?

Bump so my previous post's edit can be treated like a new reply. I also want to emphasize on the fact that I need help piloting before I have a heart attack. I can't kill anyone despite how long I've been locked on and firing the guns at them. But I get killed in flash.

skynidas

Banned
This game's other modes need capturable spawn points like zones without the expanded radii. How that still hasn't been added blows my mind. Playing TDM is meaningless without it for me.

You can build outposts for that, they are like mini-bases that you can build youself and then spawn there, obviously the enemy can destroy it so you also need to build some turrets to defend it and keep an eye on it from time to time. About how to kill on hawks I advise you to learn the respawns of the weapons on the different maps, the best weapons are the one that is like a shotgun but for your Hawk, it's orange colored, the yellow homing missiles are also good and do good damage, then you have the even more yellow cluster bombs, excellent to kill ground troops or buildings, like i said, once you learn the respawn locations of the weapons and get used to the handling of the Hawks you'll start to do better.

You can build outposts for that, they are like mini-bases that you can build youself and then spawn there, obviously the enemy can destroy it so you also need to build some turrets to defend it and keep an eye on it from time to time. About how to kill on hawks I advise you to learn the respawns of the weapons on the different maps, the best weapons are the one that is like a shotgun but for your Hawk, it's orange colored, the yellow homing missiles are also good and do good damage, then you have the even more yellow cluster bombs, excellent to kill ground troops or buildings, like i said, once you learn the respawn locations of the weapons and get used to the handling of the Hawks you'll start to do better.

I've been complaining about spawn points since the beta for a reason. Wasting structure allowance for spawn beacons and the defenses needed is asking too much from the player base. Why would you build and defend a random location on the map if the enemy has NO reason to go there? If they get your flag, they're not going to detour in your one spawn beacon zone, so unless you use up several structure slots creating tiny spawns all over the map, you're out of luck. That's why you just see heavily defended bases. There is no reason to move out purposfully and permanently.

And I know how to fly and locate weapons no problem. That's not the issue.

Maybe team up tonight? Right now i'm trying different types of basebuildning-layouts on the two new maps.
I wont get the chance tonight but I'm not done with the game. I got an air to air kill today! And I also scrubbed some missiles which gave me some kind of reward! Exagerrated excitement aside, I guess I can take those as a learning experience. Missile scrubbing seems to be luck and timing based as opposed to just wiggling the sticks like in WH. You have to guess when they've been fired and correctly choose a manuever to get you out of harms way at the right time. Very flawed if you ask me. Unless there's a look-back button I forgot about...?

Watched some youtube vids to see what people do... They just use the canned maneuvers.

What I can't tell is this: You get the warning with a bunch of flashing squares. Then those squares fill with red Xs. What is this telling me?

- Squares represent how many missiles are locked, red X means fired?
-Squares represent missiles fired, Xs mean hit?
Or
-Squares represent how many enemies have locked on (or fired) and Xs mean fired (or hit)?

Hopefully that wasn't confusing.

waypoetic

Banned
Watched some youtube vids to see what people do... They just use the canned maneuvers.

What I can't tell is this: You get the warning with a bunch of flashing squares. Then those squares fill with red Xs. What is this telling me?

- Squares represent how many missiles are locked, red X means fired?
-Squares represent missiles fired, Xs mean hit?
Or
-Squares represent how many enemies have locked on (or fired) and Xs mean fired (or hit)?

Hopefully that wasn't confusing.

I'd say the first guess.

But yeah, dodging missiles is almost as hard as it was in Warhawk. In Warhawk i flew "pro-flight" and always hated the "noob-flight" guys for their aeroacrobatics and dodging missiles with no stress.

What i don't get is when i lock on like 8 missiles to a dude and fire my MG at him and his Hawk doesn't start to catch on fire BUT when someone else does it to me i go up in flames immediately. Is it the distance? I don't.... Whut.

I'd say the first guess.

But yeah, dodging missiles is almost as hard as it was in Warhawk. In Warhawk i flew "pro-flight" and always hated the "noob-flight" guys for their aeroacrobatics and dodging missiles with no stress.

What i don't get is when i lock on like 8 missiles to a dude and fire my MG at him and his Hawk doesn't start to catch on fire BUT when someone else does it to me i go up in flames immediately. Is it the distance? I don't.... Whut.
Exactly! That's why I've been crying to you guys here haha.

Seriously, WTF?! How the hell do I die so fucking fast and easily. There's like no warning. I chase a guy around for 2 minutes firing everything i got for nil. Fucking tired of this. I like the game, but this shit is breaking me.

waypoetic

Banned
Exactly! That's why I've been crying to you guys here haha.

Seriously, WTF?! How the hell do I die so fucking fast and easily. There's like no warning. I chase a guy around for 2 minutes firing everything i got for nil. Fucking tired of this. I like the game, but this shit is breaking me.

Yup and that's why i [since] Warhawk always go ground assault.

Ok, learned of a trick. In pro flight, you spin both sticks in the same direction once you've been locked on. The squares represent missiles fired and a line begins to underline "warning" which seems to indicate the distance and speed the missiles are tracking you. This same trick can be applied to shaking off air mines. Who knew?

skynidas

Banned

I've been complaining about spawn points since the beta for a reason. Wasting structure allowance for spawn beacons and the defenses needed is asking too much from the player base. Why would you build and defend a random location on the map if the enemy has NO reason to go there? If they get your flag, they're not going to detour in your one spawn beacon zone, so unless you use up several structure slots creating tiny spawns all over the map, you're out of luck. That's why you just see heavily defended bases. There is no reason to move out purposfully and permanently.

And I know how to fly and locate weapons no problem. That's not the issue.

Ohhh I didn't remember you, you have played with me and waypoetic lol, I answered like that because I thought that you were new to starhawk.

Ohhh I didn't remember you, you have played with me and waypoetic lol, I answered like that because I thought that you were new to starhawk.
Haha. Well I might as well be new based on my skills... or at least what my records show. Love the game. Guess it's like learning Warhawk again. I thought I could transfer skills and techniques but I need to relearn it. I watched a tutorial for WH, did the same for SH. Let's hope it works. Been itching to play but my wife and I are rearranging our room... boooo!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a certain requirement to be able to build structures at your base? I have had plenty of points (not sure what it is called) to build things but every option is blacked out sometimes.

Is there a certain requirement to be able to build structures at your base? I have had plenty of points (not sure what it is called) to build things but every option is blacked out sometimes.
Yes, there's a limit of 32 structures. You can see the current tally below your own rift meter when you bring up the build and battle window.

waypoetic

Banned

Pro tip : don't build twenty autoturrets by the flag. A speedbike can get out of that mess in a second. Also, don't build two bunkers or garages etc. Some people max out that build-limit on bullshit structures.

Dodging missiles is easy thus why it's hard to get kills, holy shit. BUT I got hammered by these two clan mates that avoided everything and managed to get me with ease. Now I want to know THEIR trick. Them aside (I hope I can forget them for the sake of my heart), scrubbing is very easy with the method I mentioned above.

KalBalboa

Banned
Waypoetic and I cleaned house in ctf last night- having one guy with squad leader on as a skill flying in hawk makes for a great way to drop in wherever you're needed.

We'll conquer that cooperative mode on hard too, soon enough.

waypoetic

Banned
Waypoetic and I cleaned house in ctf last night- having one guy with squad leader on as a skill flying in hawk makes for a great way to drop in wherever you're needed.

We'll conquer that cooperative mode on hard too, soon enough.

That co-op with us two and Skynidas was pretty intense! I'll be on tonight if anyone is up for some matches, but we should definitely get some guys together for this weekend and set up a GAF-server.

That co-op with us two and Skynidas was pretty intense! I'll be on tonight if anyone is up for some matches, but we should definitely get some guys together for this weekend and set up a GAF-server.
If I get the chance, I'd love to get in on it. Just had my best match which harkened back to some of my best Warhawk matches. 26-5 in a hawk in a zones game.

You know, going it alone in prospector mode is pretty sweet.

Anyway, something I'd like to complain about and a solution: The auto beam turrets and small turrets are kind of a pain for ground vehicles. They can't all quickly dodge for cover and almost makes using such vehicles pointless when entering bases loaded with them. My suggestion is offering armor, shield and health pickups for ground vehicles that scale to each one for balance. IE, tanks get less armor and less shield energy and only recover 25% health while jeeps get a bit more.

And bikes should get a boost button and fuel gauge.

I actually went to bed thinking of this game, after messing around beforehand, which led to a wakeful dream of a sequel. But it was more of a spin-off that I think I've mentioned wanting where the campaign isn't a BnB tutorial.

It wasn't about rifters against outcast per se. More to do with the various planets and battling the alien species. Maybe the main character is a scientist in some extra-terrestrial zoology/paleontolgy field and is hired or tasked to survey the various planets and report back only to find out that rifter higher-ups were just using him to gauge hostility against proposed mining rigs.

That should give the game an adventurey feel while also staying away from typical militaristic tropes. Your military background serves your survival instincts against hostile life forms, but the game has more to do than shooty bang bang. Vita spin off please!

KalBalboa

Banned
Also, is it cheap anywhere? I was holding off because I thought Twisted Metal would last longer, but no one on GAF is ever on that but me.

The community is bigger for this, right?

Without a doubt. I'm always up for a game of Twisted Metal, but Starhawk has healthy numbers.

Top Bottom