• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Startup founder gets Cloud Buster Sword Tattoo.

You are not offending. But comparing sexuality to having tattoos is ridiculous.

And sexuality is not a choice or a phase. Society and culture can certainly make it difficult to find yourself of course.

It was never my point to compare it, I mostly meant that I found it very strange and ironic for people who just wanted to regarded as normal people and accepted could have a very negative view on something as silly as tattoos. When I just wanted them to see me as their nephew the same person I was before the tattoos as I was after them. That really did a number on me when they didn't talk to me for awhile after my 18th birthday and first tattoo.

So I do apologize if me using the term "Lifestyle" took away from the entire point. Sincerely did not realize that was such a negative term.

Regiruler

On the opposite end

5d573890538fb75e41232nisy7.jpg

tumblr_mgitgphkxt1ru8v5s2o.jpg

gow1js64.jpg

These are way too much, honestly.

d1ddy

I have a couple gaming tattoos throughout my mostly done body. A small pikachu, a key blade and boo(ghost from Mario), the boo is rather large and covers a big part of my stomach. Everyone who isn't really into gaming mistakes it for Kirby lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
A couple of years ago I met a guy who had the L'Cie tattoo from Final Fantasy 13 on his arm. He was a huge Final Fantasy fan and seemed like a cool guy.

I'll probably never get a gaming related tattoo, myself. Uncool gaming tattoos are definitely more prolific than not.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
It was never my point to compare it, I mostly meant that I found it very strange and ironic for people who just wanted to regarded as normal people and accepted could have a very negative view on something as silly as tattoos. When I just wanted them to see me as their nephew the same person I was before the tattoos as I was after them. That really did a number on me when they didn't talk to me for awhile after my 18th birthday and first tattoo.

So I do apologize if me using the term "Lifestyle" took away from the entire point. Sincerely did not realize that was such a negative term.

No need to apologize, and I certainly see what you were getting at.

I always wanted Faith's sleeve from Mirror's Edge. It looks really cool, and you could totally play it off as just a cool design than something gaming inspired.

Has your thought process gone something like this over the years?

"It would be really cool to get a video game tattoo"

"It would be really cool to get a video game tattoo, but not something cheesy that like totally screams 'video games!!' just something that I would know"

If so, just stop! You grew out of the first mindset, eventually you will grow out of the second and you will no longer desire to have any kind of video game tattoo whatsoever.

No need to apologize, and I certainly see what you were getting at.

Well I do appreciate the understanding, and am glad to be able to better myself to not make the same mistake again. Not fun meaning no harm or intention to offend and proceeding to do that hehe.

Umbooki

I feel like there's better FF VII tattoo material, but it's iight.

Rather have the buster sword than Lil Wayne's face or Tupac on my inner thigh.

styl3s

Tacky as hell.

That's why VG tatoos are always the cringiest.
This is why people with tattoos don't give a shit what people think. I have a Zelda tattoo because the game means a lot to me. I also have a lot of other tattoos that are related to Star Wars, Marvel and Ninja Turtles but they all helped mold me into who i am today and most had profound impacts. Rather it get me through really hard times, put me in a career path etc.

I agree some tattoos are poorly done but there is nothing wrong with getting a video game tattoo, movie tattoo or whatever you want. Tattoos are an expression of you so do you. If you knew me you would get why i have what i have.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
One time I took a buster sword to the knee.

The fuck kind of title is startup founder?

HardRojo

Tacky as hell.

That's why VG tatoos are always the cringiest.

Not really, if well-executed, they can actually look amazing, as per any tattoo actually. But if you simply slap whatever comes to your mind on your arm of wherever else, without giving it much thought regarding design, coloring and location, don't expect to have a good-looking one.

Eccocid

I honestly really don't see me ever getting a tattoo. To me they're a novelty. I'd get some "oh cool" and maybe tell a few people about it if they ask but in the end it'd just be something marked on me.

If I got one though, maybe bubblegum monkey from Earthbound. Lol

me too... i just can't get over the idea of having a permanent thing on my body! And being a person with changing tastes who knows what i get today will be boring for me in the future!

13ruce

Banned
Not really, if well-executed, they can actually look amazing, as per any tattoo actually. But if you simply slap whatever comes to your mind on your arm of wherever else, without giving it much thought regarding design, coloring and location, don't expect to have a good-looking one.

Yup a good tattoo artist would be honest if the design you show to them is not going to translate well in a tattoo or on a body and they will discuss a solution (draw something better etc) or just say it's not going to work. Best is to pick a design that looks good to the eye too and show it to several peeps you know first on their opinion too on how the design looks from their perspective. And ofcourse look at it everyday to make sure you don't get sick of it after a while.

I have 2 Zelda Tattoo's and they look fantastic it was expensive tho but worth it. It's a Wolf Link Head Portrait on my upper chest on one side and i got another tattoo on the other side goin to my arm but that's not videogame related and Imp Midna on my upper right arm. Casuals/Mainstream give me compliments all the time and just think it's a cool lookin wolf or little devil. I also look kinda casual so that helps in my favour too.

Reasons why i have them is because of dear childhood memories playing with friends through alot of games together on ps,xbox,nintendo systems and the Zelda TP playthrough sticked with me the most of those all and Zelda franchise is also my most favorite and TP is my NO 1 with Breath of the Wild.

My stance on it myself is also if done well it's awesome but if the design looks bad or it's badly done then yeah it can look quite cringey. But sadly alot of people try to save money on a tattoo or go to someone around the corner. Proper research is key and for quality you pay the price:p

HardRojo

Yup a good tattoo artist would be honest if the design you show to them is not going to translate well in a tattoo or on a body and they will discuss a solution (draw something better etc) or just say it's not going to work. Best is to pick a design that looks good to the eye too and show it to several peeps you know first on their opinion too on how the design looks from their perspective. And ofcourse look at it everyday to make sure you don't get sick of it after a while.

I have 2 Zelda Tattoo's and they look fantastic it was expensive tho but worth it. It's a Wolf Link Head Portrait on my upper chest on one side and i got another tattoo on the other side goin to my arm but that's not videogame related and Imp Midna on my upper right arm. Casuals/Mainstream give me compliments all the time and just think it's a cool lookin wolf or little devil. I also look kinda casual so that helps in my favour too.

Reasons why i have them is because of dear childhood memories playing with friends through alot of games together on ps,xbox,nintendo systems and the Zelda TP playthrough sticked with me the most of those all and Zelda franchise is also my most favorite and TP is my NO 1 with Breath of the Wild.

My stance on it myself is also if done well it's awesome but if the design looks bad or it's badly done then yeah it can look quite cringey. But sadly alot of people try to save money on a tattoo or go to someone around the corner. Proper research is key and for quality you pay the price:p
Not to mention you're marking your own body, so if you're planning to go cheap it might be a good idea to not do it at the moment and wait till you are able to afford a good artist.

Simple subtle tats are best for gaming things imo. While those God of War arts were damn good my first thought was "God of War wasn't THAT good"

Macka

I think it looks good tbh. Interesting design and I like the reasoning behind it.

tattoos make attractive people look, at best, as attractive as they were before, and everyone else look worse.
Alol, so says you. There are tons of attractive people. A hot girl with nice tattoos though? That can elevate someone a lot imo.

LordKasual

Banned

Know lots of girls with Zelda tattooes, a few Final Fantasy ones

I think the FF ones actually translate into real life well enough. Mostly just icons and imagery. Generally the only way you know what they are is if you've played the games.

I actually like the Lucian crest one from XV, though i wouldn't put such an image on my wrist...

Ooooh, I get to reuse the killer Gerstmann line "take his big dumb sword tattoo and big dumb cut people with it" that to this day makes me giggle.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
As someone with a tattoo, the least favorite thing that I get to occasionally do is explain it to people. It's a personal thing. If it's not for you then that's fine, but you've only got your body for so long, so do whatever the fuck you want with it.

Yazuka

No I would never get any kind of tatoo, I don't like them. I am also the only one in my family who doesn't have a tatoo and that feels great.
Don't get me wrong done tatoos can look great... On some people.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
How much would those tattoos even cost? The amount of ink plus someone really professorial doing them.

A high-ish level artist charges about 250 an hour. I've heard of artists that charge 350, and then there are some booked years in advance that are well beyond that.

Aspiring

I am someone who has tattoos all over and am not gonna lie but am suprised at the reaction to them from some people...wow. i thought they were peetty standard now.

Anyway my mate has some pokemon tattoo'd on his leg and i have one of the the legend of zelda on my arm.

I wish people would show off their gaming tattoos on here not google ones. Would make a great thread and would love some ideas!

Laieon

I don't think I'd ever get a tattoo period. Have a few friends who are tattoo artists and do awesome work, but tattoos just aren't for me.

Has your thought process gone something like this over the years?

"It would be really cool to get a video game tattoo"

"It would be really cool to get a video game tattoo, but not something cheesy that like totally screams 'video games!!' just something that I would know"

If so, just stop! You grew out of the first mindset, eventually you will grow out of the second and you will no longer desire to have any kind of video game tattoo whatsoever.

You're right. Knowing me I'd probably be over it a couple months after I got it anyway.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I am someone who has tattoos all over and am not gonna lie but am suprised at the reaction to them from some people...wow. i thought they were peetty standard now.
It's not that surprising given the community.

Top Bottom