• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STASIS Kickstarter and Alpha demo up! (Eyecandy Isometric Adventure)

Tommyhawk

New Update:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tric-scifi-horror-adventure-game/posts/658542

Mark Morgan composing the Stasis Soundtrack

5mPQjR9.gif

This is just great!

I was just coming to update this thread. :D

Getting Mark Morgan on board really is incredible! I mean I grew up listening to his music.

It was really just a simple case of Stasis resonating with him. He sent me a message saying that he would love to contribute to the game in any way possible. I hadn't chosen a composer at the time, so we discussed where he saw the game musically. I gave him some of my notes and ideas on how I saw the score moving forward, and we both had a remarkably similar take on everything.

It's really pretty amazing to think about...and I swear, after our conversations, you guys are going to go fucking mad at the soundtrack.

I'm directing Mark Morgan in a soundtrack for my game.

Even typing it out doesn't make it seem real.

I need beer.

Tommyhawk

Getting Mark Morgan on board really is incredible! I mean I grew up listening to his music.

It was really just a simple case of Stasis resonating with him. He sent me a message saying that he would love to contribute to the game in any way possible. I hadn't chosen a composer at the time, so we discussed where he saw the game musically. I gave him some of my notes and ideas on how I saw the score moving forward, and we both had a remarkably similar take on everything.

It's really pretty amazing to think about...and I swear, after our conversations, you guys are going to go fucking mad at the soundtrack.

I need beer.

As you can tell by my Avatar, I'm a big fan of the original Fallout games and also adore Morgan's work (especially the music from Fallout 1+2 and Torment).

I upped my pledge from 24$ to 39$ just because of this news.
Such a wonderful choice, I'm super excited that you've managed to get him on board.

~Kinggi~

Banned

I need beer.

Happy news indeed.

I need beer.

I'm losing it over this Chris, this is fucking incredible news. Some of my favorite scores are by Mark. Just the thought of this game with a score by him is...beyond words.

Really want a FLAC 24/96 copy of that.

And I'm upping my pledge for Beta access. Been waiting too long for this one :D

Perkel

Banned

I need beer.

Holy fucking shit dude. MM is one of the best music creators. GRATZ

obviously:
Planescape: Torment - Main Title
Fallout 2 OST - 'Gecko' by Mark Morgan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C2nTM3EexM

Thanks guys! I will be adding in another wall paper before the end of the campaign!

I've started editing together a whole lot of footage for the Making of Doc. Im still experimenting with 'style', but its coming along quite nicely!

Thanks guys!

After this project, it would be great if he could join a strong character-driven dev like Obsidian.

It would be pretty cool to work in a team of other people who are dedicated to the art of RPG design. I really want to go to the states in the next few years, and maybe try to meet up with the inXile guys, and by extension the Project Eternity team.

They have been really helpful in pushing STASIS in their updates, and I really am eternally grateful to them!

Perkel

Banned
fuck. I want to try STASIS alpha but i don't want to ruin my first experience....

decisionss..

edit:

I love your isometric love. Same here. I just love isometric graphics. There isn't even single game that could render in 3D with such low spec PCs what is possible with isometric view + great art.

On a side Project Eternity is making its way to mix 3D and 2D in interesting way getting things like specular and normal maps into 2D getting something which was not possible before proper dynamic lighting in isometric 2Dish game. I played some games like that like Temple of Elemental Evil but almost always there was something lacking in therms of responsiveness compared to sprite based character animations. There is for example something magical in BG2 *hit* with that small blood sprite. It feels powerful.

There is nothing more wrong that 3D character with crappy too long animation. 2D sprite based animations are most of the time short and "direct" without feeling clunky or too long.

Your take on AC4 remind me of this (bioshock infinite)

q9vs12S.jpg

I don't think it will ruin the experience in the final game...the final Chapter 1 will have a ton more interactions, death, and extra screens. Not to mention music by Mark Morgan!

Extra voices, more diary entries.....just thinking about it gets me excited!

I love what the guys at PE, and inXile are doing their their '2D/3D' take on things. My brother and I did some experiments a while ago, doing something similar.

But, if I was doing something with day/night cycles, I think the best results would be to actually render the different lighting as a fully baked image, so you could have strong shadows in the day time, and a more diffuse look at night.

I have an example where I did some tests....Ill have to dig around for them.

I did that Bioshock image a while back! Seems people really responded to it! Infinite has such a strong sense of art direction...anything in that universe just looks awesome!

My ideal solution in STASIS would be to have 3D characters, not really for the animation, but you can do really neat things like changing skins, and adding visible 'costume changes'.
But 2D is just more fun. You should see some of the deaths in place....you can really get quite grotesque with 2D animation... :D

Perkel

Banned
I don't think it will ruin the experience in the final game...the final Chapter 1 will have a ton more interactions, death, and extra screens. Not to mention music by Mark Morgan!

Extra voices, more diary entries.....just thinking about it gets me excited!

I love what the guys at PE, and inXile are doing their their '2D/3D' take on things. My brother and I did some experiments a while ago, doing something similar.

But, if I was doing something with day/night cycles, I think the best results would be to actually render the different lighting as a fully baked image, so you could have strong shadows in the day time, and a more diffuse look at night.

I have an example where I did some tests....Ill have to dig around for them.

I did that Bioshock image a while back! Seems people really responded to it! Infinite has such a strong sense of art direction...anything in that universe just looks awesome!

My ideal solution in STASIS would be to have 3D characters, not really for the animation, but you can do really neat things like changing skins, and adding visible 'costume changes'.
But 2D is just more fun. You should see some of the deaths in place....you can really get quite grotesque with 2D animation... :D

As soon as i saw that AC4 something told me you were its creator heh.

My biggest problem with 3D in isometric view is like i said needlessly to long animations. There is a time where complex animations can be fun like in Planescape where NamelesOne wakes up but overall most of 2D isometric hovered over "direct" and fast animations creating actions that were almost instant. Most of them had just like 3-4 frames for attack (1 direction) and most of those things were created that way because of budget and shitty tools devs used ages ago, also limitations of hardware (like Fallout being resource hungry game !).

It is interesting what arc sys is doing with new Guilty Gear based on UE engine but with frame animations based on sprite animations + their shader techniques to emulate proper 2D look:

ggx3-kys-30fps-360pq1uyd.gif

As of 2D gore... Fallout1/2 did it the best imo. I am yet to find 2D isometric game that had so much fantastic death animations. I imagine rendering few frames of death animation in 2D is actually less work that reiterating high poly mesh xx number of times.

Vlodril

I cant seem to be able to get an options screen with esc (does nothing). Cant save or anything. On pc. any ideas? build of the demo is stasis 1.002.

As soon as my ps4 order gets through the card and its ok i am definitely backing this. Love the atmosphere so far. (although you know saving would be nice :p).

And of course as i posted i can now save.. (was it tied to getting the medicine first? no idea).

The save is disabled in the 1st room, and I *think* the Infirmary (it was causing some really strange bug), so if you move to another room it should work.

Space bar also takes you to the save menu....and 1 Autosaves, and 2 Autoloads.

Gumbie

I looked around and didn't see it...am I correct in assuming this is mouse/kb only, no controller support? Only reason I'm asking is I would love to play this in the living room but I don't really have a comfortable kb/mouse setup there.

Vlodril

The save is disabled in the 1st room, and I *think* the Infirmary (it was causing some really strange bug), so if you move to another room it should work.

Space bar also takes you to the save menu....and 1 Autosaves, and 2 Autoloads.

yea it was just really weird hitting esc and nothing happening. i thought my keyb was funky so i restarted but nope. Anyway really excellent demo man.

sflufan

Banned
8 days and $12,000

Man, I wish these guys would've just avoided the entire next-gen release period entirely -- I'd bet it would be far easier to gain mind share for funding!

8 days and $12,000

Man, I wish these guys would've just avoided the entire next-gen release period entirely -- I'd bet it would be far easier to gain mind share for funding!

Oh this will definitely get funded plus the first stretch goal. Maybe the extended OST, probably not the prequel chapter. But that's something that could easily get released as DLC down the line.

Top Bottom