• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2: PC vs Xbox One X 4k Graphics Comparison

Senua

Gold Member

XB1X does a decent enough job graphically but man that framerate difference is brutal.

Calibos

XB1X does a decent enough job graphically but man that framerate difference is brutal.

Clearly the xbox one x hired lawn mowers because what the hell happened to all the grass?

PC used:

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ASUS ROG Strix OC
MSI Z170A PC Mate Mainboard
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

No shit news that this PC can run the game like a race car in the red... I never understand the reason for comparing a console and a PC.

DavidGzz

It looks like ass on my PC but I got it to run. $550 Alienware Alpha that I upgraded is annihilated by my X. Seems like a more fair comparison.

Senua

Gold Member
$1500 pc shows almost identical graphics as $450 xbox one x .. why would anyone waste money on a pc? 3x the cost for more frames and slightly better shadows .. Microsoft tech is soo much better value than intel / nvidia. (Also much quieter)
Lol.

-MD-

Last edited:

Codes 208

$1500 pc shows almost identical graphics as $450 xbox one x .. why would anyone waste money on a pc? 3x the cost for more frames and slightly better shadows and textures .. Microsoft tech is soo much better value than intel / nvidia. (Also much quieter)

Xbox one x seems about the same as a 1060 on an i7 .. but hard to say as pc is unlocked
https://www.game-debate.com/news/25111/state-of-decay-2-pc-performance-report
I assume you forgot the part where the grass was gone on the X and the draw distance was significantly scaled back
PC used:

16 GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

No shit news that this PC can run the game like a race car in the red... I never understand the reason for comparing a console and a PC.
The game was built from the ground up for xbox. And yet this looks almost as drastic of a comparison of PUBG on pc vs xbox.

Then again, undead labs is a pretty small team, theyre certainly no RARE.

And theres no technical aspect of this comparison. Ill reserve full judgement til DF makes a comparison

DavidGzz

People get defensive when the X and Pro are compared which is only a gap of $100. This is 10 times the difference in price but we have to shame the console? Nice.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
great find OP i feel so bad now i got this game on my xbox one x
ima run out the door and get a 1800 dollar pc.
also in other news how shit poor optimized is this port?

nice advertisement in the vid. Upgrade your hardware now on www.one.de

Last edited:
PC used:

16 GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

If that pc didnt run it better than a console I would riot lmao

Lort

Banned
$1500 pc shows almost identical graphics as $450 xbox one x .. why would anyone waste money on a pc? 3x the cost for more frames and slightly better shadows and textures .. Microsoft tech is soo much better value than intel / nvidia. (Also much quieter)

Xbox one x seems about the same as a 1060 on an i7 .. but hard to say as pc is unlocked
https://www.game-debate.com/news/25111/state-of-decay-2-pc-performance-report

Also theres a big grass difference! So sorry i forgot to mention that .... some small texture differences .. shadow quality and some grass. Totally changes the game im sure thats 1k worth of grass right there.

-MD-

Also theres a big grass difference! So sorry i forgot to mention that .... some small texture differences .. shadow quality and some grass. Totally changes the game im sure thats 1k worth of grass right there.

Why does it make you so upset that the game looks and runs better on PC?

Lmao

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Why does it make you so upset that the game looks and runs better on PC?

Lmao
It totally dosent bother me lol ..i think its awesome that the xbox one x plays games at uhd with pc like settings.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

To be fair for Xbox One X... against what PC? It feels like comparing your normal car with another car which may even be a custom car made just for racing as a one off model.

It would be nice if DF/sites built a computer for the price of an Xbox One X when the X came out (PC built with similar features too) and then did their PC comparison against that PC (similar kind of setup for PS4 Pro) and had the latest OS and driver updates installed for each comparison. Then you could throw in a bonus “and here is how the game runs on the fastest PC we could build at the time of release”.

Last edited:

EBE

Just sunk some six or so hours into the game today on the one x and boooyyyy does the frame rate chug at times. Its almost state of decay one levels of choppy, the original xbla release. Year one survival edition may as well be 60fps with how much more consistent it runs and feels

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
yeah they just love PS4 Pro vs X comparos!

Well, those comparisons are fine... as are the ones with a PC if you frame them in a “this is what money can buy you now” kind of context (see my previous post in this thread). I am happy to see that kind of comparison and seeing the PC pull ahead now more and more against even Xbox One X is expected and just follows physics and market reality really.

What I think is not fine is when people start detaching completely from contextual factors such as price, date of release, and thus price : performance ratio comparisons, size of the box (thermal issues need to be addressed), etc... and then jump to absolute conclusions such as “HW Z is a half step shit, HW Y is BEAST while HW Z is a crappy badly designed undercooked half attempts at something semi decent” and that is what does not make sense. Be it Xbox One X vs PC or Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro...

Journey

Banned

I think people react differently to different topics, some people are stealthy about things that bother them and are just subtle about it, while someone else is not bothered at all, but are just making a point, no need to attack people directly about their opinions. Maybe he's just saying that for more than $1,000, the difference is not that significant. Of course there is a difference, I think these comparisons are great for us to see just how close Xbox One X can reach the best of the best, and gives us a preview on how much we're missing and if it's really worth shooting for the extra grand to get it, it also shows us just how much of an upgrade we're getting over the standard Xbox One, pretty damn significant and huge bang for the few extra dollars you pay for the X over the standard (about $150 more?) this cannot be said over the more than 5x over what you pay to get what you get on PC, I think that's the point he's making.

Last edited:

lukilladog

It totally dosent bother me lol ..i think its awesome that the xbox one x plays games at uhd with pc like settings.

It´s an achievement that a console can even touch resolutions that make top cards really struggle. The norm was that even entry level cards were a level or two above them resolution wise, so consoles might be getting better or cards are just slower or more crippled.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just sunk some six or so hours into the game today on the one x and boooyyyy does the frame rate chug at times. Its almost state of decay one levels of choppy, the original xbla release. Year one survival edition may as well be 60fps with how much more consistent it runs and feels
Yeah I put in about an hour and not sure I am going back. I find the framerate fluctuation to be almost nauseating and am having a real hard time playing the game because of it (on the One X). Not sure why they don't have a performance mode, not like this game looks any good even at 4K anyway.

thelastword

Banned
Man. Xbox One X people don't like comparisons to PC, I guess.
They had no problem with it when PRO was being compared to a Titan XP and 8 core i7 at DF in Battlefield and many other games.........Hope it's not a problem now....

Well yes, in that video, there is a massive difference in lod and shadows. I mean everybody can instantly see the foliage discrepancies, but the shadows are even more egregious. Even then, it's not 4k native, and framerate is definitely an issue as will be shown in the video I'm posting below...So much for 4k, no compromises, best framerate et al...Those shadows at the fence vs PC is just brutal.

As for framerate....Here is Vgtech's stats and analysis...

XBONEX fluctuates from 2688 x 2160 - 3840 x 2160
XBONES renders at 1536 x 864

From what is clearly evident there;

1.) Drops to 22fps on XBONEX, 26fps on XBONES

2.) XBONEX has a lower average framerate than XBONES, sometimes the difference in frames is pretty large in XBONES's favor, about 25+fps diff in some parts of the video.

3.) XBONEX has some pretty severe frametime issues, it's strange that I did not hear, the usual "lock this at 30fps" brigade.....I think the higher frames on XBONES should prove superior to play as an aid to this framepacing...

Yet, the worse performer has to be the dialogue that one had to endure watching the video.....Gave me a bit of a chuckle..

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Oh boy we haven't had a good grass debate since RDR lol.

Finally sunk some hours into this today, Can't install with my 1080 since its not compatible with LTSB version I'm running. But got some time in on my X and seems to play fine? I haven't noticed any major slow downs in frames at all but I've only been walking around your first base and surrounds nothing to action packed yet.

Waiting for a mate to finish up with work for the week and see us sinking some solid hours into base building on this.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Never prioritize number of pixels over frame rate. Horrible job whoever made this game. Maybe they used the XB1 optimizations from PUBG?

EBE

The frame rate is indeed really shitty. i wouldn't even mind a drop down to 1800p if they could lock it at 30.

Hendrick's

I don't understand the push for 4K over framerate and other graphical improvements. SoD looks like garbage in 4k on the X, and runs like crap.

Codes 208

After the mediocre launch of SoT. This really doesnt bode well for MS. I mean how did they even allow this to launch at this state?

Or why not launch with a performance mode of 1080p at 60fps?

4k at 22-30 is not the cinamatic experience i wanted

Hendrick's

After the mediocre launch of SoT. This really doesnt bode well for MS. I mean how did they even allow this to launch at this state?
They are just phoning it in at this point. If they don't have a killer E3, I think it will be time to really start worrying.

hiphopcr

They are just phoning it in at this point. If they don't have a killer E3, I think it will be time to really start worrying.
Let's pump the brakes. People say this like we're on the precipice of some cataclysmic event.

Are we not enjoying our xboxes? Have they not generously delivered a variety of great games and features?

I've been enthralled with this generation then I come here and see, "oh, people are saying I should not be having any fun." Xbox has delivered every year this gen, they have consistently great Fall lineups. Sony had one stretch of quality releases last spring. Before that, 3 years of nothing until Uncharted. Then people act like God of War makes up for having no big releases in a year. Plus, all their games are single player 3rd person adventure games. And Gaf acts like that is normal, that is the only way we're supposed to be gaming?!

Hendrick's

Let's pump the brakes. People say this like we're on the precipice of some cataclysmic event.

Are we not enjoying our xboxes? Have they not generously delivered a variety of great games and features?

I've been enthralled with this generation then I come here and see, "oh, people are saying I should not be having any fun." Xbox has delivered every year this gen, they have consistently great Fall lineups. Sony had one stretch of quality releases last spring. Before that, 3 years of nothing until Uncharted. Then people act like God of War makes up for having no big releases in a year. Plus, all their games are single player 3rd person adventure games. And Gaf acts like that is normal, that is the only way we're supposed to be gaming?!
So tell me, what is the next game I should be excited for, and how long do I have to wait? Sure, the Xbox has great 3rd party games, but that is about it. While it may not "need" a strong 1st party lineup, when the Switch outsells it in half the time, 3rd place is going to be lonely.

Codes 208

Well, whatever theyre doing it's working since PS4 has outsold the XBO 2:1 and the Switch, in a single year has already made up half of the XBO lifetime sales.

On top of that, in lifetime metacritic scores, XBO has a single 90+ with FH3. PS4 has 6. The Switch has 4

But I digress. I enjoy my xbox but Im not going to ignore it's faults

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
PC has thousands of QUALITY games, while the Xbox One has like maybe 100 (including Xbox 360 BC games). I'd say the price difference is worth it.

Calibos

Pack it up and call it a day huh...Jesus Christ people are so dramatic. So Sea of Thieves was content light and State of Decay is less than ideal...I think they have been doing the best they can do with the resources they have had under Terry Myerson. Silver lining is that after the disastrous launch, 5 years later, revenue is up, Live subscriptions are up and gaming is at the forefront of MS again. Hopefully they have a good lineup for E3 now that they are "budget controlled" by Phil Spencer instead.

People love to pile on Xbox and MS...always the same people too. Do most people in this thread even own Xboxes? Have people played SoD 2 for themselves? Aren't the same people running out of energy for piling on Xbox in every thread, topic and story?

State of Decay 2 is a brilliant game that runs roughly on Xbox and is super buggy if your Nat settings and Router aren't open and free. It's a bummer about the performance, but if you are actually playing it, it's a pretty damn great game.

Hendrick's

Pack it up and call it a day huh...Jesus Christ people are so dramatic. So Sea of Thieves was content light and State of Decay is less than ideal...I think they have been doing the best they can do with the resources they have had under Terry Myerson. Silver lining is that after the disastrous launch, 5 years later, revenue is up, Live subscriptions are up and gaming is at the forefront of MS again. Hopefully they have a good lineup for E3 now that they are "budget controlled" by Phil Spencer instead.

People love to pile on Xbox and MS...always the same people too. Do most people in this thread even own Xboxes? Have people played SoD 2 for themselves? Aren't the same people running out of energy for piling on Xbox in every thread, topic and story?

State of Decay 2 is a brilliant game that runs roughly on Xbox and is super buggy if your Nat settings and Router aren't open and free. It's a bummer about the performance, but if you are actually playing it, it's a pretty damn great game.
I own a One X and that is why I am critical. If I didn't own and play on Xbox, frankly I wouldn't care what it was up to.

-MD-

So tell me, what is the next game I should be excited for, and how long do I have to wait? Sure, the Xbox has great 3rd party games, but that is about it. While it may not "need" a strong 1st party lineup, when the Switch outsells it in half the time, 3rd place is going to be lonely.

Crackdown 3 will blow your socks off just you wait.

Any time now.

EBE

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game and I'm playing on just the one s
im liking it too but performance on the one x definitely needs to be addressed. Sea of Thieves suffered similar issues (i believe screen tearing was the main thing) and those were taken care of

Spheyr

Banned
I bought it on the Microsoft Store so I can play it on the Xbone or my 1080 powered laptop. It looks about the same either way to me.

Top Bottom