• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

Has the King's Quest collection been in the GOG limited quantity deals yet? If not is it expected to be? That's really the only one at the top of my wish list from GOG.

Nabs

Just wrapped up Rise of the Triad, some thoughts:

header.jpg

This game was pretty much made for Family Sharing. You'll understand why by the end of my breakdown I hope. Fortunately one of my Steam Family members bought this game on release and Valve has seen fit to bless me with the ability to play it. Thanks Valve!

What I liked:
  • The first episode is rather fun. It shows that old school game design can definitely work in a modern release.
  • The visuals are often times rather nice for a fairly low budget UE3 release. There are a lot of nice little effects like elevators casting blue light onto the surrounding walls.
  • The special weapons are entertaining to use and have a good variety. They actually made the rest of the weapons depressing to use because of how delightful they were.
What I was okay with:
  • The length of the game. It drags a bit in the last episode, but it didn't go on long enough to make me resent it.
  • The level design was a real mixed bag. Some were really entertaining to work through while others felt tedious or bland.
What I disliked:
  • The second, third and fourth episodes were largely a step down from the first apart from a couple standout levels.
  • The enemy design lacked variety and many of the ones introduced in later levels were downright awful (tracking projectiles are always a terrible decision).
  • The default weaponry felt severely underpowered and almost completely useless against the later enemies.
  • The majority of the attempts at platforming segments were really poorly executed. The precision demanded at times was ridiculous and it was never exciting or fun.
  • There were some really stupid difficulty spikes, even on easy. The final boss was the most egregious. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth rather than feeling rewarding.
  • I'm not one to delve into technical issues, but I will in this case. The devs clearly didn't know how to use UE3 as well as they should have. There are absurd performance drops no matter what settings I used and it is clearly due to misuse of engine features rather than my hardware.

Conclusion
I like Doom 1 and Quake 1 an awful lot. Rise of the Triad reminded me of those games in a rather nice manner for the first couple hours (I even bothered to 100% the levels). A demo would not have been long enough to sell me on that the way Family Sharing did. However, the last 70% of the game didn't go down anywhere near as smoothly and made me grateful I didn't buy the game myself. So if you have a friend who owns it, definitely check it out. However, if you check out somewhere in Episode 2, don't feel bad and feel comfortable knowing you got to witness the best the game has to offer.

Random note: the game left ~2gb of log files in my documents that I didn't notice till uninstalling the game. If you have 2 gb randomly get used up on your C drive that's why.

Thanks for the impressions. I don't feel so bad for dropping it now.

Tenrius

I take it there were no further developments on that ACIV/Watch Dogs Uplay pricing error from the last week? I didn't get any further emails, at least.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Will it still allow us to use it on select games, emulators, and with x360ce since that doesn't have an official driver either?

Without a driver, your computer won't know how to communicate with the device at all.

Meaning, it won't interpret your input.

So we'll have to wait for a driver before it's usable in any way.

FloatOn

Just wrapped up Rise of the Triad, some thoughts:

If I ever purchase Rise of the Triad, which I intend to at some point I will not be playing it for the campaign.

Did you give the multiplayer a go? It's been awhile since there has been a decent-good arcade style arena shooter.

The_Monk

Thank you for Skyward Collapse Jase! Decided to enter for this one because I'm curious. I actually bought as a gift for a GAFfer from Steam when it was released but I never got it for myself. :)

Karma.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If I ever purchase Rise of the Triad, which I intend to at some point I will not be playing it for the campaign.

Did you give the multiplayer a go? It's been awhile since there has been a decent-good arcade style arena shooter.

Nah I have zero interest or faith in any arena post Q3.

Thanks for the impressions. I don't feel so bad for dropping it now.
Off to play Shadow Warrior now!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for Starvoid, Highlander the Saoirse!
Thanks for Gravi, JaseC.
Thank you for Skyward Collapse Jase! Decided to enter for this one because I'm curious. I actually bought as a gift for a GAFfer from Steam when it was released but I never got it for myself. :)

Karma.

No worries. :)

Nah I have zero interest or faith in any arena post Q3.

I was looking forward to giving it a whirl (I played Q3 competitively way back in its heyday), however there's no bot support.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Without a driver, your computer won't know how to communicate with the device at all.

Meaning, it won't interpret your input.

So we'll have to wait for a driver before it's usable in any way.

I understand the whole without a driver thing, But it doesn't have any random plain driver say like if you plug in PS2 to PC adapter you give you a plain gamepad driver until decide to actually install the correct drivers? Or are we just speculating here?

I can't imagine it not at least installing a plain gamepad driver for it but then again that sort of what happened with Dualshock 3 at first.

I managed to get a free key for The Wolf Among Us yesterday, so here's a heads up since GamesRadar is doing it again:

50 codes for The Wolf Among Us are up for grabs sometime in the next 20 minutes! Keep your eyes peeled right here --> http://trib.al/JfNTkYa

From their twitter. Just like the page and refresh every so often until you see something change at the bottom. You have to enter a name and an email and press a button so that your key will appear. Last time the page switched at the change of the hour, but I don't know if that always happens. Don't shoot me if it's already over.

Ceebs

Has anyone else had Steam connection problems lately?

If I just leave Steam running it just loses connection and sits there until I restart.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I managed to get a free key for The Wolf Among Us yesterday, so here's a heads up since GamesRadar is doing it again:

From their twitter. Just like the page and refresh every so often until you see something change at the bottom. You have to enter a name and an email and press a button so that your key will appear. Last time the page switched at the change of the hour, but I don't know if that always happens. Don't shoot me if it's already over.

"There are no codes being given away at this time. Please check back tomorrow for chance to get a code."

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I understand the whole without a driver thing, But it doesn't have any random plain driver say like if you plug in PS2 to PC adapter you give you a plain gamepad driver until decide to actually install the correct drivers? Or are we just speculating here?

I can't imagine it not at least installing a plain gamepad driver for it but then again that sort of what happened with Dualshock 3 at first.

I would say it's 99% certain it will NOT work with a generic driver. It took them about a year to get the Xbox 360 controller working on the PC, I expect it will be a similar situation here, since they've announced it won't be XInput compatible.

Dr Dogg

Success!

Right I don't know how many people this will ever apply to but it might be handy to know in the future.

If you want to move game installations from one pc to another and not use the backup tools or copy the whole steamapps folder then all you need to do is grab the folder in the common directory and move it to the new pc in the same directory tree layout AND the corresponding .acf file. This is one directory back (eg c:\program files\steam\steamapps\) and starts appmanifest_xxxx.acf where xxxx is the app id (which you can look up in a few ways).

Once they are transferred over in the same locations start up Steam and what ever you moved will now be under installed. You might need to download some dependencies (correct directx, xna, air ect.) but is a lot quicker than downloading everything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Thanks. Guess I'm staying up for another 15-odd minutes.

"There are no codes being given away at this time. Please check back tomorrow for chance to get a code."

Yeah, when I checked yesterday it only said "There are no codes being given away at this time." so maybe it's over for today already. Made the post as soon as I saw their message on twitter so sorry if that's the case. There should be another 50 codes available tomorrow.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, when I checked yesterday it only said "There are no codes being given away at this time." so maybe it's over for today already. Made the post as soon as I saw their message on twitter so sorry if that's the case. There should be another 50 codes available tomorrow.

Will be trying nonetheless, really looking forward to giving this a go as I love Fables. Just waiting for a decent enough sale.

jshackles

Thanks. Guess I'm staying up for another 15-odd minutes.

Gotta stay up and check out the new Humble Weekly and Humble Store offerings, eh?

jediyoshi

Eesh, downloading this Payday 2 update is slowly killing my computer. Steam's wanting to reserve an extra >20gb that's just the size of the game itself in the process.

fernandes

Eesh, downloading this Payday 2 update is slowly killing my computer. Steam's wanting to reserve an extra >20gb that's just the size of the game itself in the process.

Payday 2 uses one of the worst patching systems ever. It looks like it copies the whole game to a new temporary folder, slowly patches the files and then copies it back to the original location. And it takes forever too.

tylergregg

Neo Member
Thanks to jshackles for Starvoid. It came with an extra giftable copy, so:

ModBot 3 said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Starvoid -- MB-B0A038F7B06FCC95 - Taken by maneil99

Nabs

Thanks for the heads up. Just snatched one.

JakeD

holy crap, i actually got a wolf among us code!

feels like justice after failing 75 times to get a free game on GOG yesterday. also just finished walking dead+400 days so im psyched for this, thanks YianGaruga

Dec

Wow thanks. After control+R'ing that page every 5 seconds for the last 10 minutes I got a key. :D

MRORANGE

For games that dont feature a hard mode, I just drink a gallon of water and hold my pee through the entire playthrough.

I tend to to just have a bottle on my desk if I need a pee, it's way too far trying to go to the loo while gaming.

On a serious note about FEAR you should disable the slowmo for your 2nd play-through, you really do have to be quick on your feet and plan your entry points of attack, it turns the game into a fast paced tactical shooter. I just find it enjoyable playing the game without using the core mechanic of the game.

humble weekly : bitComposer Games

$1 :

Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers
Galaxy on Fire 2: Full HD
Thunder Wolves
Jagged Alliance: Classics

$6 :

Jagged Alliance: Crossfire
Expeditions: Conquistador

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom