• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electronic Super Joy is a like a low end Super Meat Boy with retro graphics, seizure inducing flashing, european trance music, and really really disgusting sexual moaning every time you die or hit a checkpoint. What the hell.

Did we play different games?

Electronic Super Joy is the follow-up to Freebird Games' indie-hit "To The Moon". Players find themselves once again playing as the self-motived Dr. Neil Watts who works for Sigmund Corp. as a scientist who mentally fulfils the wishes of the dying. The game follows pretty much the same formula as its predecessor of telling the story of a person's life backwards in time from death to early childhood, except the subject of Electronic Super Joy is an elderly Armin van Buuren. Armin's dying wish is to put on the best rave to ever grace the planet earth, thus unifying the human populous through electronic dance music. Unfortunately, Electronic Super Joy does not do away with the quick-time event sequences which proved to be the low point of "To the Moon". One particular QTE sequence which I found most annoying is when the player must take control as Armin van Buuren and perform a rave by completing quick-time events for 6 hours without any pauses or checkpoints. While this sequence was ultimately satisfying, I fear it may deter many from experiencing this game's brilliance.

xJavonta

Banned
I was loving the controller, but the shoulder buttons do not hold up(sticking). Now I'm back to Motioinjoy + BetterDS3. : (
Really? I've had a DS4 for like almost 3 months now and I haven't had any problems with my shoulder buttons sticking. The controller that came with my PS4 is fine too but that one isn't used nearly as much as the other controller. Guess I'm lucky lol

Cool! Thanks for the impression, quite interested in using the trackpad since it would mean I won't have to ever reach for my mouse again, I remember some games kind of have poor controller support when navigating menus so it would be nice.

Same. Especially when in BPM on my couch and I want to play a game that has a non-controller compatible launcher. The trackpad is amazing for that.

So what you're saying is that Thi4f does stealth better because isn't some indie dogshit like Mark of the Ninja.

GOT 'EM

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anybody want to split an Ironclad Tactics two-pack? I can get one for $8 ($4 each).

Edit: Sorted.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What the heck is this feature for?

As said above,Asynchronous multiplayer.

Think of games like Chess, Chess, Scrabble, Go, or anything else with two or more players taking turns and it's okay if it's not done instantly or can take a while because it's a casual and relaxing thing or long thought out and deeply strategised thing (in the case of Chess and Go). A modern/future version of chess by mail. If you want a modern showing of it now, look up mobile or facebook apps like Words With Friends.

I personally want SEGA Swirl on Steam. Loved playing that on Dreamcast,taking turns and the system sending it via email.

JaseC

Gamefly has it on sale for $15 right now. There is a coupon (GFDDEC20) that brings it down to $12. I doubt Steam will get that low for quite some time.

It's about $2 cheaper on GameFly UK, but since you can neither purchase items as a gift nor purchase the same item twice, finding somebody to assist may prove problematic.

First off, I've only played solo Survival but that's impressive and substantial enough to enjoy.

So you might be thinking that those three elements in the title seem like a weird mix, but that's the kind of vibe I'm getting during my time with Samurai Gunn. Take the samurai films of old, ramp it up to eleven with the Tarantino-style violence and blood, and then imbue that with lightning-fast white-knuckle pace of Hotline Miami, and that's Samurai Gunn in a nutshell

Choose a samurai, choose an arena, and then fight. One hit kills. Armed with only your blade, your handful of bullets, and your agility, you must survive against increasingly challenging waves of enemies in increasingly complex arenas. Like Hotline Miami, death comes fast and at a moment's notice; a single lapse in timing, in reaction and reflex, and your blood will stain the ground rather than your opponent's. There are no power-ups to equip, no special swords to unlock, or abilities to use. You and your foes are equally matched; superior skill and reflexes are your only advantages. Each battle is one of hair's-breadth dodges over swinging blades, of smart positioning, perfect timing to strike down an enemy in mid air or deflect his bullet back at him. And that's just against one opponent; it only becomes more intense once you're down to one life and three enemies are out for your blood.

It's not just this frantic dance of death that makes Samurai Gunn so compelling, but the sheer variety of arenas as well. From levels consisting of moving platforms and traps to levels with spike pits and saw blades, to levels made of nothing but easily breakable bamboos so that the layout changes and shrinks as you play, they are numerous and each must be learned and mastered if you wish to succeed.

It's the little details that round out this impressive package. Fall into a pond and your gun won't fire but instead misfire and discharge spurts of water. Your blood and bodies stay behind, monuments and reminders of your past failures. Slash at your enemy at the same time he does, and you'll clash swords and fly apart, leaving a dust trail in your wake.

So again, I've only played single player, but I can only imagine that multiplayer is only enhanced thanks to human players instead of AI. You can play co-op against bots or fight against each other in Versus mode. As for Samurai Gunn's future, the developer has said he's "interested in experimenting with different types of enemies, modes, and other things" so there's only more frenetic bloodshed to come.

Dipper145

I'm really hoping peggle goes on sale soon in some form, been itching to play some and don't have any :(, been through the demos already but its not enough!

denx

Mmh, so I took the DA:O UE CD keys from Steam and redeemed them on Origin and BSN. So far so good, every DA:O DLC appears in my BSN registered game content page... except for The Golems of Amgarrak for some reason. I read that DLC may take a while to appear on the BSN registered game content page, but it's been more than an hour and still nothing.

I'll check my registered content on the BSN tomorrow, and hopefully by then the Amgarrak DLC will had been added. I don't really want to deal with EA's support. :(

JaseC

These came with the Ironclad Tactics DDE, but I don't need them:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SpaceChem plus 63 Corvi DLC -- MB-097942781BF9E0FD - Taken by Colin.

Momentary

Banned
Okay I just purchased Dungeon of the Endless, which is my eighth early access game, and a question just popped into my head. Have there been any Early Access games that have made a full release? It feels like some of these games have been on there for a damn while.

JaseC

Okay I just purchased Dungeon of the Endless, which is my eighth early access game, and a question just popped into my head. Have there been any Early Access games that have made a full release? It feels like some of these games have been on there for a damn while.

State of Decay comes to mind.

I've taken a look around to see which games support turn by turn notifications, and it seems there are no obvious ways to tell. The info might be in SteamDB, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to what I'm looking at. I'm just going to assume Valve will make an announcement about the feature some time in the future.

Grief.exe

Mmh, so I took the DA:O UE CD keys from Steam and redeemed them on Origin and BSN. So far so good, every DA:O DLC appears in my BSN registered game content page... except for The Golems of Amgarrak for some reason. I read that DLC may take a while to appear on the BSN registered game content page, but it's been more than an hour and still nothing.

I'll check my registered content on the BSN tomorrow, and hopefully by then the Amgarrak DLC will had been added. I don't really want to deal with EA's support. :(

Thanks for reminding me that I got DA:O on Origin during their free game frenzy last year.

Don't need to buy the Steam version now.

Is that COD ghost? I can't see anything about a free weekend. :|

Won't have one for a while probably.

JaseC

Yeah but State of Decay was already a full fledged release, so while it is Early Access, it's in a different situation than most of other Early Access games on Steam

Arma 3 is perhaps a more pertinent example, then. It was one of the first Early Access titles and in alpha at the time.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm looking for a metroidvania that is as good as Aquaria. Can anyone recommend one?

Guacamelee is better than Aquaria in every way possible. I wouldn't take anyone that mentions Dust seriously as its not a proper Metroidvania. Don't get me wrong Dust is a good game but it has very light Metroidvania elements.

TheExodu5

Banned
Played through Gone Home tonight. What a beautiful story. It's left me a little depressed though...like I'm not going to get the same level of emotional involvement from another videogame story for a long while. I'm just sitting here and thinking that I don't even want to play anything else tonight...

Smash88

Banned
Blood of the Werewolf Steam Key:
Slender: The Arrival Steam Key:
And Yet It Moves Steam Key:
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time Steam Key:
Plain Sight Steam Key:
Snuggle Truck Steam Key:

Quote to see codes.

Derrick thought Vanquish was ok and hated new Tomb Raider, I will forever forgive his other trespasses

You two are making me want to buy Euro Truck Simulator, I must be missing out

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Blood of the Werewolf Steam Key:
Slender: The Arrival Steam Key:
And Yet It Moves Steam Key:
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time Steam Key:
Plain Sight Steam Key:
Snuggle Truck Steam Key:

Quote to see codes.

Grabbed Blood of the Werewolf, interested to see just how sloppy it is. Thanks duder!

Played through Gone Home tonight. What a beautiful story. It's left me a little depressed though...like I'm not going to get the same level of emotional involvement from another videogame story for a long while. I'm just sitting here and thinking that I don't even want to play anything else tonight...
It's a good one to sit on for a while. Never thought I'd enjoy snooping on the personal life of my fictional little sister, but after it all wrapped up it left me really satisfied.

Milamber

Sorry, I feel like a dick posting this all the time, I'll try and limit this to once a day, so other regions of the world can get notice. I think we've nearly reached saturation point in voter turnout anyway.

t1387476000z0.png

People who have been added to the poll so far (send a pm if you can't see your name.):

Where is Barbie Dreamhouse Party situated on the GOTY list so far?

Also sent you a PM for my GOTY list.

Nabs

Loved it.

Momentary

Banned

So if you do this can you not use those same keys on Steam again?

I can definitely sympathise with that. It's two fold, these type of games are rare but they're often quite draining experiences emotionally. So I never feel up to playing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom