• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

I think it's kind of fucked up that everyone is jumping down this guy's throat for not enjoying Papers, Please. Let the man like or not like what he so chooses.

This indie game will survive without the whole of neogaf jumping to defend it's honor.

List of things that turn steamgaf into a resonance cascade

#01. Sales & Giveaways.
#21. Asking them how to remove a game from their library, but don't tell them what game.
#22. Tell them Papers, Please isn't fun.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
2E8FF9E8E670405E6DB2C55329DF277567B4C549

Done with Far Cry 3 for now. Looking forward to going through the co-op in the near future. 100% didn't take as long as I expected (Steam says 57 hours but the game is clocking 32, idle time notwithstanding), but JC2 is certainly skewing my perceptions. Definitely grabbing Blood Dragon next time it goes super cheap.

Fun game, very satisfying gameplay and I really enjoyed playing around with different approaches and all the missions. People weren't kidding about the story being all over the place though, rofl. And yes, Ubi-style doesn't bother me because I enjoy going around collecting garbage in open world games and completing random junk. Love to do it while tuning out with a custom soundtrack.

edit: this post looks really out of place in this thread atm, heh.

jediyoshi

I think it's kind of fucked up that everyone is jumping down this guy's throat for not enjoying Papers, Please. Let the man like or not like what he so chooses.

I think there's a distinction between disliking something and refusing to acknowledge something's merits on the basis of some narrow arbitrary definition. At the least, they're not mutually exclusive.

#01. Sales & Giveaways.
#21. Asking them how to remove a game from their library, but don't tell them what game.

#20. Asking why new sale prices at 10am are so bad

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Damn. Used to think you guys were actually pretty nice in here.

To be honest, I just took a bunch of my time to walk you through a day of the game with tons of screenshots to try to help you with strategy, so I'm not going to abide the idea that I'm not being nice to you.

If there's any hostility, it's because you basically came in and expressed a strong contrary opinion to the majority of the thread and the justification you provided seemed at odds with everyone's experience so they politely disagreed. In general, this is not a super hard game. There is an easy mode. Zeliard helped you cheat by massively lowering your expenses. It's definitely not a roguelike and the similarities you're drawing are a) not really what roguelikes are about and b) not true of the game. No one has been hostile or rude or called you dumb, we're just not sure what it was that you had difficulty with.

And then a bunch of people walked you through sort of the thematic premise of the game and how that might impact your expectations. And those people are also having a conversation about the nature of games, to which you're basically responding "no, games are definitely this" instead of engaging with them.

It'd be like saying "I think Final Fantasy VII is a pretty shitty game. There's no magic system. Is this what survival horror games are today? I dunno, I kept game overing at Jenova in the ShinRa building. Too hard and not really fun." We're trying to help you. Equip materia on your weapons and armor! It's a jRPG! Take your time, and level up a little if you need to.

BHK3

Banned
This definition argument reminds me of the arguments that came from when that one visual novel got really popular about whats a 'game' or 'fun' or what 'life' is.

Grief.exe

Damn. Used to think you guys were actually pretty nice in here.

Everyone seemed pretty nice and helpful up until a certain point.

wUFn861.gif

This definition argument reminds me of the arguments that came from when that one visual novel got really popular about whats a 'game' or 'fun' or what 'life' is.

#5 Trade a copy of Rogue Legacy taken from a giveaway for Rage.

Zeliard

In my defense, while the tip I gave is sort of cheap, it's appropriate to the depravity that the game encourages as well as being an effective quick-fix for someone who is ready to give the game up entirely unless they start making more money in it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While I know it can feel a bit daunting when seemingly a whole group of people are against your argument and stance, I don't believe we weren't actually trying to be anything other than respectful and kind in the replies. Okay perhaps not that "uneducated part", but that's just one perhaps poor statement.
Why suggestions on the game to make it a smoother experience to play, I gave an example of a game to try out that might help the point of view of games, and others just argued their point in what seemed like a decent discussion to me even if it was one of disagreement.

Oh and Monk? You are nice mate, even if you can be a bit guampa :)

Let's not be crazy - developers could be listening.

I would play a MMO Awesomnaughts in a Super Metroid like world.

FloatOn

Anyway, I'm about to finish brigmore witches. I really don't want to say goodbye to Dishonored.

Easily one of the best games ever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Done with Far Cry 3 for now. Looking forward to going through the co-op in the near future. 100% didn't take as long as I expected (Steam says 57 hours but the game is clocking 32, idle time notwithstanding), but JC2 is certainly skewing my perceptions. Definitely grabbing Blood Dragon next time it goes super cheap.

Fun game, very satisfying gameplay and I really enjoyed playing around with different approaches and all the missions. People weren't kidding about the story being all over the place though, rofl. And yes, Ubi-style doesn't bother me because I enjoy going around collecting garbage in open world games and completing random junk. Love to do it while tuning out with a custom soundtrack.

Blood Dragon is awesome and just as fun to play as 3. I'm glad to see another 100%er joining me in the Far Cry 3 suckers club too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You get Ronan to do Banderas gif, you bet Gaf will be all over it.

Haha, I think I'd choose a new celebrity crush as I can't stand that bloody meme.
(Oh, who am I trying to kid? I could never stay mad at her. ;))

And on that screen would be JaseC's Steam account

I like the way you think. :p

I'm convinced that Ubi games only track time when you're actually doing something, so cutscenes, loading screens and even moments when you're not moving aren't factored into it. My in-game Black Flag time is notably less than what Steam says (removing from the equation the 96 hours I lost, of course) and the only explanation I can conjure is that the game only tracks time when you're actually moving Kenway or sailing but not using Travel Speed.

maneil99

Video games need to be mindless fun? Cmon. And stop acting like you're getting bullied, the stuff you post in the BF4 threads and Call of Duty Ghost thread is a joke.

Chronoja

I swear, if this gets greenlit before my loli arcade-shooter rapelayvania pinball sim, I'm going to Washington state with a crowbar.

Did you know: if you put slenderman in your game it will instantly get greenlit. truthfact.
not actually a truthfact, I lied

Sajjaja

Hey guys, I've been playing this really fun game called League of Legends. It's like DOTA2 but better. It's not on Steam though, but Steam is lame anyways so come play :)

Hey guys, I've been playing this really fun game called League of Legends. It's like DOTA2 but better. It's not on Steam though, but Steam is lame anyways so come play :)
get a load of this joker

lol was on steam

its also not half the game dota is for like a bazillion reasons

You are the only one around here who doesn't roll with a shank in their pocket at all times.

The_Monk is the kind of GAF prisoner that is overly nice every time you come across him, hailing you as his gaf friend, until he embraces you with a pillow in the middle of the night and whispers sweet nothings in your ear as you bleed out in your cell.

Grief.exe

The_Monk is the kind of GAF prisoner that is overly nice every time you come across him, hailing you as his gaf friend, until he embraces you with a pillow in the middle of the night and whispers sweet nothings in your ear as you bleed out in your cell.

"You are so dead fellow Gaffer"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's my 2012 GOTY.

I was expecting it to be that for me also, but while Dishonored shines as an action game, it's a disappointingly rudimentary stealth game, which, considering it encourages both styles of play, is a flaw large enough for disqualification.

TGMIII

Quake is the best MOBA. It's got multiplayer, it's online, there's battles and they happen in arenas.

FloatOn

I was expecting it to be that for me also, but while Dishonored shines as an action game, it's a disappointingly rudimentary stealth game, which, considering it encourages both styles of play, is a flaw large enough for disqualification.

The AI is a little less intelligent than I would have liked but for what the game does right it more than makes up for it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't find video games to be deep, no. I think many try to be and I think they mostly all fall flat, with very surface level 'District 9' types of moral pandering and story depth.

I also never said anything about YOU finding meaning in them. You are the one who refused to point out this 'meaning' to me, just repeating how obvious it is and trying to make me out to be some fucking idiot instead of maybe explaining what I was missing.

Anyways, this has gone on way too long. I feel like some of you are just being a bit rude about things now just because I didn't see something in a game that you did. Whatever.

EDIT: But thanks to those who are trying to be helpful for the tips. I will give them a try. Especially the sticking it on Easy bit! Didn't realize there was difficulty options.
I already told you, it's a window to another world. patrick klepek had a good name for them "empathy games" or something like that. I didn't say it was some crazy deep shit either, I said it was a blatant game because it is, the point is that you can't deal with everything because the whole shitty system you're working for is shitty. you even picked up on it yourself when you said you didn't have the time for anything, you were just too focused on the game not providing enough fun or satisfaction for you to see anything past it. you could maybe think about immigration in other situations like modern america or whatever since you're at it and draw parallels if you want to.

I never said you're a fucking idiot, but I think your comment was pretty dumb and you didn't think it through. maybe my response was too harsh but whatever dude, I'm tired of the games are art shit

it was on steam last time I checked brah

Turfster

I think this is the main problem, really, with the stealth games we've been getting. As soon as you add actual weapons to the game, you're abandoning true stealth and need to reconfigure your game around that, which means compromising on stealth options if you don't want to basically make 2 games.

(Yes, I know OG Thief and Thief 2 also had weapons, but they really were only there as a last resort, you weren't expected/supposed to be able to straight up murder everyone in the game)

Well, you're right, there are too little toys for stealth route, but silently taking guards out is still satisfying nonetheless.

What is your 2012 GOTY?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The AI is a little less intelligent than I would have liked but for what the game does right it more than makes up for it.

But then again if the AI is terrible what's the challenge? Like I said before I loved Dishonored but mostly for what it tried to do rather than for what it achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom