• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just imagine these games at 1080p 60fps..... hnnng

While that would help, I don't think RDR or especially Dragons Dogma are great candidates for a PC port.

Instead I would prefer sequels to both built with at least next gen platforms in mind so they no longer suffer from the same technical or design limitations.

Knurek

While that would help, I don't think RDR or especially Dragons Dogma are great candidates for a PC port.

Instead I would prefer sequels to both built with at least next gen platforms in mind so they no longer suffer from the same technical or design limitations.

Well, AFAIK, Dragon's Dogma sequel is to be a F2P mictrotranslations supported online only game. Would fit PC all right...

The lowest it's been on Steam is also $7.49 (excluding the splitting of a four-pack [~$5.62 per head]).

WTH, I could've sworn I got it for less...

Dr Dogg

Okay, "The One" has to be my favorite (new?) Rogue Legacy trait so far.

In my mind I'm thinking Jet Li (or Statham sprouting 'multiversssse' in an awful American accent) but in reality I'm expecting something Matrix related. After the initial impressions of the update I might crack on with this later.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I need help for Dark Souls,
I was with the first boss on the bridge, the problem is that I fell, but he also fell. When I returned to the bridge after I returned to the checkpoint and there was nothing there, the boss was dead but there was nothing. He supposed to drop something?

You won.

That's Dark Souls, baby.

Well, AFAIK, Dragon's Dogma sequel is to be a F2P mictrotranslations supported online only game. Would fit PC all right...

Sony is helping with the Deep Down's development and engine so one imagines it will stay a PS4 game. Deep Down is quite a different game(more of a straight dungeon crawler) so one could easily still have room for a Dragon's Dogma sequel. They'd said they planned to make a franchise out of it but I suppose we will see.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sony is helping with the game's development and engine so one imagines it will stay a PS4 game. Deep Down quite a different game(more of a straight dungeon crawler) so one could easily still have room for a Dragon's Dogma sequel. They'd said they planned to make a franchise out of it but I suppose we will see.

I wouldn't hold much hope for that: prior to RE6, Dragon's Dogma was Capcom's most expensive project and it's crawled to the 2m mark. While a sequel is unlikely, not releasing a PC port would just be leaving money on the table.

Anteater

Nah that's just a different game, Deep Down is f2p.

Dragon's dogma 2 hasn't been announced, the director is working on a cellphone game or some shit. Ok maybe that's actually worse.

Wok

Monaco will be patched. The read is interesting, and this kind of feedback going bottom-up from the playthroughs of the players to the dev is made easy with Steam.

The following data is play time, as recorded by Steam.

tumblr_inline_mxveq0BdXo1sqmptm.png

We want more people to finish the campaigns, and we also personally kinda hate some of the levels. Certain areas feel redundant, certain levels feel tedious.

Do you remember hating these parts?

Both boat levels with the dogs, crossbows, and fire
Second floor of the hospital (the one that winds around amongst exam rooms)
The giant, hard, palace level

We did too!

In addition to cutting major parts of these, every level has seen some streamlining with this patch. Don’t worry, if you liked the old levels, they are still available if you play “Classic” mode, rather than “Enhanced”.

We also improved some elements of the “learning” phase of the game.

Arthea

We only had chances to see DD2, if DD sold as much as Capcpom expected. Still they didn't try to sell effectively, without PC port.
It's tLR situation all over again, SE promised it to be franchise, but as the first game haven't sold that great, they don't even released PS3 port (which was promised), and we'll never see a second game :(

JaseC

Spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zigfrak -- MB-19B959439ABF8F72 - Taken by Arthea

We only had chances to see DD2, if DD sold as much as Capcpom expected. Still they didn't try to sell effectively, without PC port.
It's tLR situation all over again, SE promised it to be franchise, but as the first game haven't sold that great, they don't even released PS3 port (which was promised), and we'll never see a second game :(

There's no telling what Dragon's Dogma needed to sell to become profitable, but prior to release Capcom was hoping it'd sell 10m.

Jawmuncher

So i'm playing 99 Spirits right now.
I'm liking the idea here but damn is guessing some of these names hard.
Maybe I just suck though.

Arthea

So i'm playing 99 Spirits right now.
I'm liking the idea here but damn is guessing some of these names hard.
Maybe I just suck though.

It'll get somewhat easier later on, although some guesses are really hard to come by, but it's really great idea for a game, and when you unlock abilities it becomes even more interesting.

Arthea

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Garry's Mod -- MB-9AD8EF5D1B0CC7B6 - Taken by Milamber

A game with cards for a game with cards. I hope there is someone not in possession of it still :)

Jawmuncher

It'll get somewhat easier later on, although some guesses are really hard to come by, but it's really great idea for a game, and when you unlock abilities it becomes even more interesting.

Yeah I am digging it and will probably stick with it.
Did you happen to beat it? How long was your playthrough?

Arthea

Yeah I am digging it and will probably stick with it.
Did you happen to beat it? How long was your playthrough?

The game seems to be really long (that may be reason why it's not as popular as it has right to be :), that's why I haven't beaten it yet, but I plan to.

Well, that's what they wanted, I don't think they needed to sell that much!

Thanks Jasec for Zigfrak! I think I don't have it (><)

Tomb Raider 2013 sold something like 4 million copies and was a bit of a disappointment to Square-Enix.

We're talking about games that cost roughly 3-4 years and cost 50-100 million dollars to develop. They also tend to have market campaigns whose cost are on par with their development budget, at least that's EA's usual criteria for establishing a marketing budget. Who knows what Capcom needed to break even on development and marketing, the 10 million mark was possibly the point at which they'd see some profit. How many copies did Dragon's Dogma end up selling, 2 million at most?

Arthea

Tomb Raider 2013 sold something like 4 million copies and was a bit of a disappointment to Square-Enix.

We're talking about games that cost roughly 3-4 years and cost 50-100 million dollars to develop. They also tend to have market campaigns whose cost are on par with their development budget, at least that's EA's usual criteria for establishing a marketing budget. Who knows what Capcom needed to break even on development and marketing, the 10 million mark was possibly the point at which they'd see some profit. How many copies did Dragon's Dogma end up selling, 2 million at most?

2 mln might be disappointing for such a game like DD, not gonna argue, but then again to expect 10 mln? How many games do sell 10 mln? If this game needed 10 mln to break even, it was lost cause from the beginning, unless it was released on every platform available, had multiplay, countless dlcs and was heavily marketed.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Well, I just spent five hours on Little Inferno for some reason.

It was enjoyable enough. Actually, I was surprised. I kept seeing folks say it wasn't a game, but it's actually a bit puzzly. And I'd give it points for art style and presentation. The fire is purrty. Points off for no way to speed up deliveries after you finish the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header_292x136.jpg

Dementium II HD Impressions (after over six hours of play, on the final boss)

Dementium II was a Nintendo DS FPS-Horror game, sequel to Dementium: The Ward. I never played either of them, so I can't say how this compares to the original, but I can say a general opinion on the title, and how it stands on the Steam market.

Firstly, you'll have to acknowledge its DS origins to understand some of the design decisions in the game. The combat is somewhat simplistic for a FPS. Enemies do react to being hit in certain spots more than others, but it feels somewhat simplified. The beginning enemies especially are noticeable as you start the game with just a knife, and the first few are pretty simplistic (enemies that just try to approach you and hit you with a melee attack). How you attack, how the enemies react... It all has a very handheld feel to it, combined that most objects in the environment have simple geometry and some of the textures are kind of low. Not a terrible looking game, but it does look a bit dated. The graphics have been completely reworked for the HD version, but it mainly tries to update them rather than fully modernize them.

The audio also is notciable just upgraded DS tunes as well. The music is not bad, there's actually some very nice songs in the collection, but it sounds like Silent Hill 1-level quality. Also, the game has a bad habit of making a certain battle theme playing when enemies are near. It isn't TOO repetitive, but you will hear the song a number of times before the game is up. But the sounds can be pretty competent to fit the mood.

But the game does a good job at slowly but surely introducing new elements and enemies to keep things interesting. The enemies are surprisingly varied, and new ones keep on getting added until the last fourth of the game. I hear the original game had respawning enemies, but that's thankfully not the case here. Enemies don't respawn when backtracking or re-entering a room, which is nice and makes defeating enemies with supplies feel worthwhile. You can run in most instances though if you feel so inclined. Bosses, while not amazing, are pretty good. Definitely not bad, more than serviceable, so yeah, pretty good. And like the normal enemies, they're pretty varied. There's a few puzzles tossed into the mix, no real brain teasers, but they can be fun little distractions, and like other elements, they switch-up the puzzles so you aren't doing too much of the same thing. In fact, I have to applaud the developers on trying to switch things up enough to avoid the game from becoming too repetitive. The locations even are pretty varied and feel different, and even backtracking doesn't really overdo itself. The locations main 'themes' switch between asylum-type levels, nightmare-type levels, and outdoor snowy-type levels, but they each have a different sub-theme and different environments and design. The developers seemed to have found a sweet middleground for making elements familiar, but not treading too much of the same ground to be repetitive.

The game isn't scary. Tense sometimes, but the game never really tries to scare you. No scripted scares, no jump scares... Which could be a good thing. The game simply uses audio, and its environment and monsters. The atmosphere can be tense sometimes, and even creepy, but the game possibly relies too much on its combat for itself to really settle in.

And that's one thing you'll need to know about Dementium. It is a very action-focused title. While you can run from most encounters, you will be fighting a lot of enemies, with limited supplies, and the monsters are the main focus of the game. There's a total of 10 weapons in the game, and each feels very different, though noticeably you five of the game's ten weapons in the last third of the game, and three weapons right in the final chapter, making how they're spread maybe a bit uneven.

I'd say it's a good game, not an AMAZING game, but if something that's like a mixture between Doom and Silent Hill interests you, this may be right up your alley. Not a bad game, or a bad remake, I'd give it a solid 7-8 our of 10, but keep in mind its handheld origins definitely show and I did find a few of the game's enemies a bit frustrating, but not overly so. Can be a very nostalgic feeling game, if that's what you're looking for.

Anteater

2 mln might be disappointing for such a game like DD, not gonna argue, but then again to expect 10 mln? How many games do sell 10 mln? If this game needed 10 mln to break even, it was lost cause from the beginning, unless it was released on every platform available, had multiplay, countless dlcs and was heavily marketed.

10 mil was just wishful thinking from the director, he wanted the game to be the biggest game since it did cost the most next to RE6, but I think Capcom's sales projection for the game was around 1.5mil.

JaseC

10 mil was just wishful thinking from the director, he wanted the game to be the biggest game since it did cost the most next to RE6, but I think Capcom's sales projection for the game was around 1.5mil.

1.5m is correct, but expectations don't tell us how much it needed to sell to be profitable.

lMV7ANS.jpg

Item rewards, I haven't seen this before. What is it?

The optimist in me wants to say it's related to the Winter Sale meta-game.

Jawmuncher

header_292x136.jpg

Dementium II HD Impressions (after over six hours of play, on the final boss)

Dementium II was a Nintendo DS FPS-Horror game, sequel to Dementium: The Ward. I never played either of them, so I can't say how this compares to the original, but I can say a general opinion on the title, and how it stands on the Steam market.

Firstly, you'll have to acknowledge its DS origins to understand some of the design decisions in the game. The combat is somewhat simplistic for a FPS. Enemies to react to being hit in certain spots more than others, but it feels somewhat simplified. The beginning enemies especially are noticeable as you start the game with just a knife, and the first few are pretty simplistic (enemies that just try to approach you and hit you with a melee attack). How you attack, how the enemies react... It all has a very handheld feel to it, combined that most objects in the environment have simple geometry and some of the textures are kind of low. Not a terrible looking game, but it does look a bit dated. The graphics have been completely reworked for the HD version, but it mainly tries to update them rather than fully modernize them.

The audio also is notciable just upgraded DS tunes as well. The music is not bad, there's actually some very nice songs in the collection, but it sounds like Silent Hill 1-level quality. Also, the game has a bad habit of making a certain battle theme playing when enemies are near. It isn't TOO repetitive, but you will hear the song a number of times before the game is up. But the sounds can be pretty competent to fit the mood.

But the game does a good job at slowly but surely introducing new elements and enemies to keep things interesting. The enemies are surprisingly varied, and new ones keep on getting added until the last fourth of the game. I hear the original game had respawning enemies, but that's thankfully not the case here. Enemies don't respawn when backtracking or re-entering a room, whic is nice and makes defeating enemies with supplies feel worthwhile. You can run in most instances though if you feel so inclined. Bosses, while not amazing, are pretty food. Definitely not bad, more than serviceable, so yeah, pretty good. And like the normal enemies, they're pretty varied. There's a few puzzles tossed into the mix, no real brain teasers, but they can be fun little distractions, and like other elements, they switch-up the puzzles so you aren't doing too much of the same thing. In fact, I have to applaud the developers on trying to switch things up enough to avoid the game from becoming too repetitive. The locations even are pretty varied and feel different, and even backtracking doesn't really overdo itself. The locations main 'themes' switch between asylum-type levels, nightmare-type levels, and outdoor snowy-type levels, but they each have a different sub-theme and different environments and design. The developers seemed to have found a sweet middleground for making elements familiar, but not treading too much of the same ground to be repetitive.

The game isn't scary. Tense sometimes, but the game never really tries to scare you. No scripted scares, no jump scares... Which could be a good thing. The game simply uses audio, and its environment and monsters. The atmosphere can be tense sometimes, and even creepy, but the game possibly relies too much on its combat for itself to really settle in.

And that's one thing you'll need to know about Dementium. It is a very action-focused title. While you can run from most encounters, you will be fighting a lot of enemies, with limited supplies, and the monsters are the main focus of the game. There's a total of 10 weapons in the game, and each feels very different, though noticeably you five of the game's ten weapons in the last third of the game, and three weapons right in the final chapter, making how they're spread maybe a bit uneven.

I'd say it's a good game, not an AMAZING game, but if something that's like a mixture between Doom and Silent Hill interests you, this may be right up your alley. Not a bad game, or a bad remake, I'd give it a solid 7-8 our of 10, but keep in mind its handheld origins definitely show and I did find a few of the game's enemies a bit frustrating, but not overly so. Can be a very nostalgic feeling game, if that's what you're looking for.

You eat bosses in this game WHAT. j/k
Anyway thanks for the writeup sounds just up my alley. Might even grab it with my Steam Gift Card money if it hits the winter sale.

The game seems to be really long (that may be reason why it's not as popular as it has right to be :), that's why I haven't beaten it yet, but I plan to.

Ahh ok. Regardless i'm getting the hang of it now and it seems like the perfect game to keep coming back to.

woa, I will grab these for sure

12/19/2013 to 12/19/2013 Aliens vs. Predator - $3.75
12/19/2013 to 1/3/2014 MANHUNT/MANHUNT 2 - $2.99
12/19/2013 to 1/3/2014 Max Payne Complete Pack - $6.99
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 FEAR Ultimate Shooter Edition - $2.49
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 Legacy of Kain Pack - $3.99
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - $11.99
12/25/2013 to 12/25/2013 Castle of Illusion - $3.75
1/1/2014 to 1/3/2014 DuckTales: Remastered - $5.99

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
woa, I will grab these for sure

12/19/2013 to 12/19/2013 Aliens vs. Predator - $3.75
12/19/2013 to 1/3/2014 MANHUNT/MANHUNT 2 - $2.99
12/19/2013 to 1/3/2014 Max Payne Complete Pack - $6.99
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 FEAR Ultimate Shooter Edition - $2.49
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 Legacy of Kain Pack - $3.99
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - $11.99
12/25/2013 to 12/25/2013 Castle of Illusion - $3.75
1/1/2014 to 1/3/2014 DuckTales: Remastered - $5.99

Why would you buy the Max Payne Complete pack when you can buy Max Payne 3 by itself for three dollars more?

Servizio

I already own Max Payne 3, but if I'm not mistaken, that pack includes Max Payne 1-2-3 + Season Pass for just 6.99$, so it's worth it for me, I will gift Max Payne 3 via modbot

Oh I was just poking fun at Amazon for their odd pricings.

Max Payne is more expensive by itself compared to...Every other package it's in? With the Season Pass, with L.A. Noire, with other Paynes, with GTA? It's just odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom