• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

That post with all those genesis pack just reminds me of the amount of great Genesis games I own that I haven't played that I completely forgot existed.
I basically only played Comix Zone, a bit of Shining Force and Sonics games from the collection so far despite owning it for over a year.

I cleaned out most of my friend list because of all the holiday gifting help over the past year and not wanting to go through 300 people to figure out who is who, so if you're supposed to be there feel free to add me again and don't take it personally.

And that's why Steam now has friends tags!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Noooo !!!! ... May I add you

Go for it, Steam link is in my profile. I'm the guy with the Simba avatar!

Also that's an awesome deal on the Sega packs, didn't even know they redeemed on Steam.

And that's why Steam now has friends tags!

Yeah but I had to start all over, I couldn't go back and tag them all. :( I imagine at least half were just people who got international gift help for Bulletstorm/Alice/Dead Spaces, which I won't be doing again. So time for a clean start! I managed to recognize and keep 70 out of 290.

Go for it, Steam link is in my profile. I'm the guy with the Simba avatar!

Also that's an awesome deal on the Sega packs, didn't even know they redeemed on Steam.

Yeah but I had to start all over, I couldn't go back and tag them all. :( I imagine at least half were just people who got international gift help for Bulletstorm/Alice/Dead Spaces, which I won't be doing again. So time for a clean start! I managed to recognize and keep 70 out of 290.

You deleted me :'(

You're a naughty boy, so you will receive coal from x'mas gift

1-D_FTW

What? 12 MB no way, it's using around 100 MB's. Yet the biggest problem is the CPU cycles it burns through. Like i said when it's active and navigating through options it uses upwards 33% CPU resources. That's why im asking if it's gets to a sort of hybernating state when gaming.

Pretty much why I tried it once with the beta, then abandoned it. I thought it was using resources, at least at the start of the beta, even when in game. But who knows now. I suppose you could run monitoring software and compare a scene with and without BPM.

Okay so I am trying to decide between Sine Mora, Tiny & Big, Hell Yeah!, or Orcs Must Die 2 (sans DLC right now). Tiny & Big and Hell Yeah! I don't know much about outside of them being 3d and 2d platformers. Any thoughts?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Why do services like Steam, XBL (and I presume PSN) even have friend limits? Is it a technical thing?

I've always wondered that myself. I'm no networking engineer but it always seemed rather painless to be able to lift the allowed number up higher and higher. Microsoft bullshitted once saying that the friend list cap was in fact something hard coded on the original xbox and it had to be kept that way for compatibility reasons. Once OXbox Live got shut down though? Nary a peep. Free our friend lists!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I am trying to decide between Sine Mora, Tiny & Big, Hell Yeah!, or Orcs Must Die 2 (sans DLC right now). Tiny & Big and Hell Yeah! I don't know much about outside of them being 3d and 2d platformers. Any thoughts?
Hell Yeah! is awesome, in fact I just bought the DLC (already beat the game, sans a couple of missions and customisations). Earlier tonight I tried the Sine Mora demo and didn't like it, but I haven't played the full game, so my opinion may be inaccurate. Tiny and Big looks interesting, but I read the only sandbox level is the first one, and the rest of the game is an average platformer, which kind of defeats the whole point of it. And I didn't play OMD2, but I played the demo of the first one and thought it was nice, though I'm afraid it may become repetitive after some time. I'll probably get the franchise pack on the Winter Seal, if I have some money to spare.

I'm only getting around 10% usage when navigating and 0-1ish% when playing a game. Ram usage goes up to 100MB navigating and then goes to 170ish when playing a game.
Thanks for the numbers. Although it depends of the processor also, my CPU is very old so chances are yours is more powerful. Still 10% is a lot too :(
Pretty much why I tried it once with the beta, then abandoned it. I thought it was using resources, at least at the start of the beta, even when in game. But who knows now. I suppose you could run monitoring software and compare a scene with and without BPM.
A good to know im not the only one, thanks 1-D. Too bad cause it's pretty sweet. Looks a lot cooler than Live and the 360 interface. Fuunny because im using the 360 pad to control it.

Hell Yeah! is awesome, in fact I just bought the DLC (already beat the game, sans a couple of missions and customisations). Earlier tonight I tried the Sine Mora demo and didn't like it, but I haven't played the full game, so my opinion may be inaccurate. Tiny and Big looks interesting, but I read the only sandbox level is the first one, and the rest of the game is an average platformer, which kind of defeats the whole point of it. And I didn't play OMD2, but I played the demo of the first one and thought it was nice, though I'm afraid it may become repetitive after some time. I'll probably get the franchise pack on the Winter Seal, if I have some money to spare.

Yeah I have OMD1 and its fun but it did get repetitive for me. I was mainly wondering about tiny & big and Hell Yeah!, I remember Salsa talking about it being fun and metroidvania being thrown around on the thread at the same time but I can't remember if it was for that game or not.

I will say Tiny & Big's trailer music is really pushing me towards it.

Game Guru

Hey... How well does Geometry Wars and Spear of Destiny run on Windows 7? I'm just curious about that and they are extremely cheap right now. It's not like with Secret of Monkey Island, which I bought, where I fear of Disney being all "No more Monkey Island Ever."

ArjanN

I was also expecting a lot more of a twist at the end based on flipping through the diary (some of the entries were really weird) and some of the hidden items floating about (like all the ID cards for real serial killers).

There's an alternate ending if you beat nightmare mode.

JustinBB7

About the friends limit thing, I think I saw somebody from Valve say it takes up a lot of server space. Not 100% sure on that though. Think I read it on the Steam forums a while back.

HoosTrax

About the friends limit thing, I think I saw somebody from Valve say it takes up a lot of server space. Not 100% sure on that though. Think I read it on the Steam forums a while back.
I must be missing something...

[40 mil users] x [one 32-bit integer used to store a friend's steam id number] x [number of friends (assume 300)]

= ~48 GB

Even if you increase that to 1000 friends, that's still insignificant.

Maybe they mean server resources to serve up the community feed updates.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Curious to how much space it can take up when every user has 2GB of free screenshot space to mess around with, though i'm sure there are different servers in place for different kinds of content.

DTKT

Curious to how much space it can take up when every user has 2GB of free screenshot space to mess around with, though i'm sure there are different servers in place for different kinds of content.

I wonder if they store everything internally to get storage from Amazon CS. I doubt they have the infrastructure or the backend to support 2gig+100mb for cloud saves for every single user.

HoosTrax

I wonder if they store everything internally to get storage from Amazon CS. I doubt they have the infrastructure or the backend to support 2gig+100mb for cloud saves for every single user.
I've uploaded 147 screenshots and I still have 1.95 GB remaining. Dat image compression...

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks to the people telling me about the Amazon pack, the first person to quote this post gets the leftover Genesis 4 pack code.

Salsa

I think the thing I like the most about Mark is the fact that when those drums kick in I suddenly feel like im playing a Samurai Jack game

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hitman: Absolution done. Now what should I play next? Spec Ops? Binary Domain? Mark of the Ninja? Revelations 2012?

Yeah I have OMD1 and its fun but it did get repetitive for me. I was mainly wondering about tiny & big and Hell Yeah!, I remember Salsa talking about it being fun and metroidvania being thrown around on the thread at the same time but I can't remember if it was for that game or not.

I will say Tiny & Big's trailer music is really pushing me towards it.
Hell Yeah! is metroidvania-like, yes. Though there isn't much to do in the open levels, nor power-ups to collect. I liked it a lot, and it made me laugh several times, which is probably the fastest way of winning my heart.

Caerith

Hitman: Absolution done. Now what should I play next? Spec Ops? Binary Domain? Mark of the Ninja? Revelations 2012?

Hell Yeah! is metroidvania-like, yes. Though there isn't much to do in the open levels, nor power-ups to collect. I liked it a lot, and it made me laugh several times, which is probably the fastest way of winning my heart.
I heard Mark is pretty good. If you have a backloggery account, why not see what your fortune cookie says?

Berto

Currently playing Max Payne 3. I knew it was going to be a disapointment so i'm not really disliking it, but damn at those cutscenes, cutscenes everywhere. And all of them with shitty filters and stupid random quotes. I miss good old Max Payne :(

Downloading the Sine Mora demo right now. Is Tiny and Big any good?

I've got my eye on Geometry Wars, Braid and the Hell Yeah! DLC. Not bad for a surprise sale, I think.

I got Tiny and Big when it was around $5, and I really enjoyed it. I beat it in around 2 hours without really trying to find all of the collectibles which are well hidden. The game gives you some fun tools to mess around with, and the levels take advantage of using each tool creatively.

Some levels are also seemingly pretty large in size which made paths feel nonlinear and meandering yet I still reached the end of the level without getting lost. It's hard to describe, and it's definitely one of my favorite downloadable releases of the year.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I heard Mark is pretty good. If you have a backloggery account, why not see what your fortune cookie says?
Nope, I don't have one. I think I'd become stressed if I started treating games as work, lol. But if I keep adding games to my Steam account, I may have to try that site.

I got Tiny and Big when it was around $5, and I really enjoyed it. I beat it in around 2 hours without really trying to find all of the collectibles which are well hidden. The game gives you some fun tools to mess around with, and the levels take advantage of using each tool creatively.

Some levels are also seemingly pretty large in size which made paths feel nonlinear and meandering yet I still reached the end of the level without getting lost. It's hard to describe, and it's definitely one of my favorite downloadable releases of the year.
OK, for 2.50 bucks I guess I can't go wrong. Thanks for the heads-up, just bought it.

Fantasmo

I'm liking Sine Mora and I'm not a bullet hell type of player.

It's got a time slow down feature, the first stage was cool, looked great, and I only continued once. I beat Stage 1 and it gives you a Continue feature to return to the last stage you were on so I can pick up on Stage 2 next time. It has a Level Select and Boss Practice for practice which is great for those of us who aren't really talented.

It might get impossible at some point but at least it looks like I have tools and can practice the hard stuff in bite sized doses before then.

Already posted in the OT but Hell Yeah! is really awesome for the money. Nice presentation and fun, what a treat!

Croc

Banned
I might have to switch over to bootcamp for a bit so I can give those Genesis games a go. I never had one as a kid so it'll be awesome to be able to play all these.

Or in all reality play them for 5 minutes each.

HoosTrax

I'm liking Sine Mora so far. It's a different type of shmup from Jamestown and other bullet hell type games, and the power ups add a nice touch imho.

The one thing that really does annoy me - you can only choose between two presets for mouse controls and the middle mouse button is used for the nuke ability in both cases. I can't use my scroll wheel as a button reliably without annoying things happening, like my taskbar activating. I'd like to be able to map a thumb button to that.

Not a dealbreaker since I can use the Logitech software to make the thumb buttons mimic keyboard buttons, but it'd still be nice to have full keybind support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom