• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is Sine Mora worth buying if you're not a fan of the genre? I'm curious about the crazy norwegian turkish whatever story stuff...

dani_dc

Anyone else had Sonic Generations download a 100mb update?

Don't think I did, I wish it was a fix for the time trials not to crash. Most likely something related with big picture mode though, I think you had to use the mouse during the first time you ran the game to define the graphical options and it was set by default to use the keyboard, having the controller off, so it was probably a patch for that to allow the game to have the "fully compatible with gamepad" icon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
i0xw3M0mo0o3X.png

JaseC strikes again....
That man girl is made of money.

10/10 would buy again

The_Monk

Is Sine Mora worth buying if you're not a fan of the genre? I'm curious about the crazy norwegian turkish whatever story stuff...

I do not own it (yet..) but... YES!

I saw my friend playing and really liked it. I'm also not a fan on the genre but I found this one to be interesting. And the price is great so get it if you can.

Dambrosi

Banned
It's a shmup.

It's a very very pretty shmup, with a totally nonsensical plot narrated in Hungarian of all languages, and balls hard even on Normal, but it's still just a shmup.

If you don't like shmups, or rather, if you don't know how to play shmups properly, then don't bother.

It is very pretty, though. And right now, it's very cheap, so even if you don't like it, you won't lose much.

@Hakkuei: the demo most certainly does NOT represent the full game in the slightest.

---------------------------------------------

As for me, I'll probably get Intrusion 2, some OMD!2 DLC and maybe CS:GO if I have enough left after my PS3 repair bill.

ArjanN

It's a shmup.

It's a very very pretty shmup, with a totally nonsensical plot narrated in Hungarian of all languages, and balls hard even on Normal, but it's still just a shmup.

If you don't like shmups, or rather, if you don't know how to play shmups properly, then don't bother.

It is very pretty, though. And right now, it's very cheap, so even if you don't like it, you won't lose much.

@Hakkuei: the demo most certainly does NOT represent the full game in the slightest.

It more accessible than the average shmup, and the story is actually pretty good. I like it a lot.

Not really. The genocide story stuff is fun* but between the crazyness is a very reaction required shooter that borderlines on bullet hell come bosses. If you are not a fan of the genre I can't see you getting a lot out of the game to be honest.

*Never thought I'd have to write that sentence.

HoosTrax

I kept getting stuck on the last level of Jamestown, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do in Sine Mora, but damn if it doesn't look pretty for a shmup. I bit :3

Wok

I kept getting stuck on the last level of Jamestown, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do in Sine Mora, but damn if it doesn't look pretty for a shmup. I bit :3

Ditto. I killed the boss and he kind of revived in a special form. Such a hard game!

I had more problems beating Jamestown than Sine Mora. The story in Jamestown is better, though; Sine More tries to be clever but doling out the story in little chunks between each often largely unrelated level makes paying attention a chore, particularly if you stop playing for a month or so.

Deadlight: $7.50 or under. That's what I paid for it. I beat it in three sessions, probably a total of 4 hours or so. Zero interest in ever playing it again and the whole time I kept thinking that I'd rather be playing Mark of the Ninja (there are a few gameplay similarities). The story, what there is, could have been more interesting (although possibly still bad) if all the weird random stuff tied together, but it doesn't (that I could tell) and what's left is a pretty straight telling of a tired story.

Kurdel

Banned
I am really loving the Big Picture mode. Even on my monitor, just pressing the home button on the Xbox controller and it launches, is so awesome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Deadlight: $7.50 or under. That's what I paid for it. I beat it in three sessions, probably a total of 4 hours or so. Zero interest in ever playing it again and the whole time I kept thinking that I'd rather be playing Mark of the Ninja (there are a few gameplay similarities). The story, what there is, could have been more interesting (although possibly still bad) if all the weird random stuff tied together, but it doesn't (that I could tell) and what's left is a pretty straight telling of a tired story.

What made it really disappointing for me was how much I enjoyed the first half (roughly). After the sewers is just went progressively downhill to the point where I just straight up hated most of the third act.

ctrayne

Shmups with lifebars make me weary. That usually indicates poorly thought out bullet/enemy patterns.

Anyway, Sine Mora demo was fun enough (and pretty) but I wish Cave would put some stuff on Steam.

Tomodachi

It's a shmup.

So that's the language. At one point I thought it was made up, lol.

Liking it so far (only 30 minutes in the game) and I'm not a big fan of shmups in the slightest.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
You guys should really try the demo of Sine Mora before buying it. I thought it was awful.

It's a total euroshmup. Throwaway enemies take multiple shots to kill, level design is long and sloppy, balance and learning curve are all fucked up, on and on. It's at least pretty and the music's great, but ... yeesh.

What made it really disappointing for me was how much I enjoyed the first half (roughly). After the sewers is just went progressively downhill to the point where I just straight up hated most of the third act.

I found the sewers pretty uninteresting, and largely kept playing after that to see how it ended. I think my issue with the sewers is that while the gameplay was still decent, the whole concept seemed too ridiculous (unless Seattle really has a sewer system going down a few hundred feet) and the story was put on pause for a section that felt like filler. Fortunately the game doesn't go much longer after the sewers (I anticipated having an awful time with the official 3rd act because the 2nd was so much longer than the 1st, but it was surprisingly short).

I was also expecting a lot more of a twist at the end based on flipping through the diary (some of the entries were really weird) and some of the hidden items floating about (like all the ID cards for real serial killers).

Caerith

Ditto. I killed the boss and he kind of revived in a special form. Such a hard game!
I remember feeling like I would never beat the first stage of Jamestown when I first got it, then I beat it. I felt like I would never clear the second stage, but I eventually beat that too. I thought I would never kill the final boss's final form, and yeah so far I haven't.

Grief.exe

I remember feeling like I would never beat the first stage of Jamestown when I first got it, then I beat it. I felt like I would never clear the second stage, but I eventually beat that too. I thought I would never kill the final boss's final form, and yeah so far I haven't.

I had so much fun playing that game during the winter sale for the achievement, I put it in my backlog and haven't picked it back up yet.

I think I'm having trouble picking it back up because I generally don't like those games, but I did have fun with that one.

Its funny because I had the same experience, you try a level and get wrecked then you attempt it again and beat it easily.

1-D_FTW

You guys should really try the demo of Sine Mora before buying it. I thought it was awful.

Not gonna lie. I tried this when it was first released and it was a total buzz kill. I'll give the demo a second chance when it hits 75 percent, but I'm not sure I can be turned around.

It's a total euroshmup. Throwaway enemies take multiple shots to kill, level design is long and sloppy, balance and learning curve are all fucked up, on and on. It's at least pretty and the music's great, but ... yeesh.

Or maybe I should just trust my first instinct on that one.

Caerith

I had so much fun playing that game during the winter sale for the achievement, I put it in my backlog and haven't picked it back up yet.

I think I'm having trouble picking it back up because I generally don't like those games, but I did have fun with that one.

Its funny because I had the same experience, you try a level and get wrecked then you attempt it again and beat it easily.
Well I wouldn't call it easy. Bullet hell was a new genre to me, and Jamestown forced me to learn and adapt to continue playing. I liked how it made you replay the earlier levels at higher and higher difficulties to progress to the later levels, but the last level is just plain hard and, by now, I'm sure what little skill I had has deteriorated.

Great game though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm tried Sine Mora's demo for a bit. Sounds interesting but definitively not for me. Maybe my brother, he likes Touhou and stuff...

Thanks to all.

Nabs

Mark of the Ninja has been updated with the following updates:

-Leaderboard feature added

... I guess I'm playing this again.

Can any Americans help me out with Orcs Must Die 2? The thread of equal distribution is kinda quiet, and I want to get some play time tonight if possible. Will paypal straight away.

Cheers

TheExodu5

Banned
I accidentally bought a second copy of Endless Space when it was on sale. I was buying and it gave me an error message, so I tried again and now I ended up with 2 copies.

Anyone want it for $14.99?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Does anyone have any information about how/why Karateka bypassed Greenlight? I think it would be interesting and helpful to indie developers reading this, if so.
I would assume it's some combination of the developer (Liquid Entertainment) already having a game on Steam, and the fact that it's Jordan fucking Mechner.

ArjanN

Agreed. But it's quite short.

It's a shoot 'em up.

It's only short in the way, say, Pacman, Geometry Wars or Street Fighter IV are "short". You're meant to play it over and over to get better at it.

I'm sorry.

Still think the game is a mess though!

Haha, no problem. That's fine.

I personally think the problems a lot of the hardcore shoot 'em up fans have with the game aren't going to bother most of the people playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom