• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

I know you are supposed to not like GFWL but what exactly is wrong with it now?

Rhetorical, nothing is wrong with it now. It's just there.

The descriptor "now" is meaningless, since it hasn't improved in any way in years. Everything that used to be wrong with it is still wrong with it.

epmode

Man, I'm glad that Ubi went temporarily sane with their Rayman Origins release. Decent price, no extra DRM, plays great, looks even better, etc. Lovely.

I know you are supposed to not like GFWL but what exactly is wrong with it now?

Rhetorical, nothing is wrong with it now. It's just there.

I never had a problem with it until this year. It fucked my Arkham City clear game save after a billion hours of hunting down sidequests and riddler shit. I've never raged so hard. One minute it was there. The next minute it wasn't. Fuck that.

Blizzard

Banned
I never had a problem with it until this year. It fucked my Arkham City clear game save after a billion hours of hunting down sidequests and riddler shit. I've never raged so hard. One minute it was there. The next minute it wasn't. Fuck that.
Did your save file get recovered when the Arkham City patch came out that fixed people's save files somewhat recently?

ArjanN

I never thought I'd say this, BUT OMG FUCKING DUNGEON DEFENDER DEVS QUIT UPDATING YOUR GAME!! I'm tired of downloading a 600 meg update every 2-3 days, I'm about to uninstall.

I solved that problem by uninstalling. I didn't really mind all the updating though, I just don't think it's all that good. I thought Orc Must Die was a way better tower defense game.

Did your save file get recovered when the Arkham City patch came out that fixed people's save files somewhat recently?

I had already gotten rid of it. I was able to use the rollback file thing in windows so I actually only wound up losing like 3-5 hours (one sitting). I was happy enough since I was able to start new game plus then at least. The file was there and everything, the game itself just wouldn't see it. So I'm sure if I had held onto it, it would have worked.

I've never used the portal for a single player game was your game saved on C: or server side and it bunked everything up? Just curious.

Annoying to create another account for, painful to get running with some games, doesn't work as well as Steamworks (crappy voice chat and painful attempted matchmaking in FUEL for instance), might not install properly, might lead to corrupted save files (I think this happened with Arkham City).

I tried it when it was released that little Tinker game and it didnt do well. When launched they sold AOE3 for $1 which also didnt install properly.

But since I re-fired it up two month ago on my newly built pc it isnt too bad. Less intrusive than Steam imo. Not that I'm comparing the two Steam is far and away the superior service. i get annoyed how it attaches itself to everything no matter where I buy it from is my only gripe.

I think MS has all but given up on GFWL. Like Bluray vs. Super HD they heard the bell or didnt see money in it.

Looking forward to MS Flight on Steam. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Lingitiz

Damn I would bite on Saints Row but i'm wrapped up in The Witcher 2. Plus I already have open world madness waiting for me in Just Cause 2. Hmm first world problem indeed...

I've never used the portal for a single player game was your game saved on C: or server side and it bunked everything up? Just curious.

Saved on my computer. If I remember correctly, in this case I believe they said it was happening because of achievements. Something about your XBL account and your save game achievements getting out of whack with each other. Which, I had just gotten an achievement when it struck, so seems like that was the case.

I think MS has all but given up on GFWL. Like Bluray vs. Super HD they heard the bell or didnt see money in it.

It's being rebranded to just Xbox Live in Windows 8. They're not going to let customers hating it and developers not using it slow them down. I would assume it will be mostly for arcade games actually. But, don't actually know that to be the case.

1-D_FTW

If they would have priced RR:U at 39.99 and gave a 10 percent pre-order bonus, I would have bit. But 50 dollars is steep. And the fact the one dude is posting screenshots with a GTX 680 and isn't holding 60fps makes me real weary.

Maybe it'll get a quick price bomb to 24.99. In my perfect world, I would have priced it at 29.99.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Saved on my computer. If I remember correctly, in this case I believe they said it was happening because of achievements. Something about your XBL account and your save game achievements getting out of whack with each other. Which, I had just gotten an achievement when it struck, so seems like that was the case.

It's being rebranded to just Xbox Live in Windows 8. They're not going to let customers hating it and developers not using it slow them down. I would assume it will be mostly for arcade games actually. But, don't actually know that to be the case.

I'd love to see some of the XBLA games on PC, my heart still broken because there's no Geometry Wars 2 for PC ):

BioHazard

Ugh I had a feeling that Rayman 2 wouldn't release when Origins did, should have pre-ordered. I hope it's coming sometime. Yes I know it's on GOG but I want it on my steam library hehehehhehe (if you have to ask, you won't understand anyway)

I pre-ordered and Rayman 2 really hasn't held up, the fact that Ubisoft didn't really do anything to help modernise the port doesn't help matters. There is controller support but you can't remap the buttons and the default scheme is totally whack. Maybe there's an .ini buried somewhere that I can edit. I played the Great Escape for all of an hour and simply uninstalled it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I pre-ordered and Rayman 2 really hasn't held up, the fact that Ubisoft didn't really do anything to help modernise the port doesn't help matters. There is controller support but you can't remap the buttons and the default scheme is totally whack. Maybe there's an .ini buried somewhere that I can edit. I played the Great Escape for all of an hour and simply uninstalled it.

Yeah, I had the same problem with the GOG version. I could remap the gamepad bindings with MotionInJoy, but it would be a tedious process. And it's something I just can't play with a keyboard, especially since you can't control the camera with the mouse. The stretched hud bugged me crazy too, but I guess that could be fixed by playing in 4:3 mode. I would love to play it again, but the PC port needs a good update.

Card Boy

Banned
I never thought I'd say this, BUT OMG FUCKING DUNGEON DEFENDER DEVS QUIT UPDATING YOUR GAME!! I'm tired of downloading a 600 meg update every 2-3 days, I'm about to uninstall.

Ok this is getting ridiculous now. I just got a second 480meg update now.

These developers are garbage, i want to go to the Dungeon Defenders OT and tell the devs they are pathetic.

Every 2 or 3 days this game has a massive upgade. Often multiple upgades in 1 day.

Ok this is getting ridiculous now. I just got a second 480meg update now.

These developers are garbage, i want to go to the Dungeon Defenders OT and tell the devs they are pathetic.

Every 2 or 3 days this game has a massive upgade. Often multiple upgades in 1 day.

Does anybody know what all these updates are? I uninstalled the game because its chewing up my bandwidth cap.

Card Boy

Banned
Does anybody know what all these updates are? I uninstalled the game because its chewing up my bandwidth cap.

I have personally have never seen patch notes in the news section.

I assume they balance one thing, then change their mind or make it OP, then roll it back all the time.

Their website or Steam forums never have patch notes either.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Looks like they're patching in new DLC all the time. A new pack came out yesterday, hence the update. Whatever, I haven't even installed it yet, maybe I never will! Shit was like two bucks at Amazon.

Eusis

It's fairly big too, at 3 GB. May as well use that space on something else, maybe I'll give Fable 1 a whirl again or something.

Dungeon Defenders is a nice game but these patches are out of control. I went to sleep a few hours ago and it was downloading a 600+mb patch. I wake up and it's downloading a new 480mb patch. Seriously, what could you possibly do to require a 500mb patch 4 hours after your last 600mb patch? It's not even the size that bothers me, but the frequency is just too much. I get the feeling the developers don't properly plan or test their patches at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam does a have not update opinion for games but it is wonky at best. Also the game basically needs to be connected to the net so you can't avoid the updates.
The problem is, all the option does is disable automatic patching when you're NOT playing the game. It would work for Dungeon Defenders as long as you never wanted to play Dungeon Defenders, in theory, and even that might be wonky.

But if you wanted to say, play Skyrim without having the latest patch forced on you, there is no way to do it without a cracked executable as far as I know. If someone knows something I don't, please let me know. This applies to the official patches, of course, and not the optional Skyrim beta.

And yes, it's sad that Valve hasn't implemented it. Maybe they're afraid people will keep old versions of games with bugs and glitches or something.

Wok

The problem is, all the option does is disable automatic patching when you're NOT playing the game. It would work for Dungeon Defenders as long as you never wanted to play Dungeon Defenders, in theory, and even that might be wonky.

But if you wanted to say, play Skyrim without having the latest patch forced on you, there is no way to do it without a cracked executable as far as I know. If someone knows something I don't, please let me know. This applies to the official patches, of course, and not the optional Skyrim beta.

What if the game is launched in offline mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom