• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So... Naval War: Arctic Circle. I have wanted something like this, but the way they went about doing it is so shitty. It seems like such is the case every time someone tries it.

There are awesome land battle strategy games that do it perfectly, there are individual unit sim games like Silent Hunter, there are pure grand strategy games like War in the Pacific, there are super action games like Battlestations, there are games that would work exactly the same but they are set in space, and there are even some decent naval strategy games set centuries ago! Why no solid modern naval strategy games where you command the whole navy?

ShaneB

Tried playing The Witcher and got past the intro and whatnot, but I'm just in the mood for another big long rpg :( NHL playoffs starting tomorrow, so maybe I won't be in such a mood to feel like I need to be playing something.

Derrick01

Banned
Started up Red Faction Armageddon which I picked up for $5.

This game makes me glad THQ is dying. It's everything I hate in modern games so far. Ultra linear to the point where it's almost on rails, slow tutorials (here's a new weapon/tool every 500 feet, use it for the next 5 minutes), generic dead space like bugs, handholding to the max.

Seriously THQ if this is the shit you decided to pump millions into then you deserve your fate.

This game makes me glad THQ is dying. It's everything I hate in modern games so far. Ultra linear to the point where it's almost on rails, slow tutorials (here's a new weapon/tool every 500 feet, use it for the next 5 minutes), generic dead space like bugs, handholding to the max.

Seriously THQ if this is the shit you decided to pump millions into then you deserve your fate.

You do know that THQ also makes good games? That we could loose if those developers have to close up or be sold till EA or Activision if THQ desides to call it a day?

hym

Banned

And barely 5 months later the very same studio and publisher, released Saints Row: The Third, which I would label as a pretty phenomenal entry in the open world crime genre. I'm not sure THQ covered that much of the development costs on Armageddon anyway, THQ had a deal with NBCUniversal for that Red Faction Syfy movie, they were even listed on the box as co-publisher.

But my condolences on the loss of your $5, for a game you didn't enjoy even though it's not as if it received horrible reviews. Calling it out as the reason why a publisher on which a ton of good developers rely on should go bust rubs me the wrong way.

I for one hope that on October 2012 we can tell the Rockstar CEO how wrong he was about THQ.

camerooni

Neo Member
Seems like it may be related to the "master race" thing. Which seems like the equivalent of Godwin's Law to memes, as that'd make master race ENTIRELY too unpleasant.

I thought it had to do with that scary Farming Simulator clip that was floating around earlier in the thread?

hym

Banned
Did I miss some Valve/Half-life 3 Hitler meme? That's pretty tasteless. :|

While no doubt unrelated to the PC Master Race there actually was such a thing. Remember a while back when snapshots of concept art for Valve's SOB Space game got out, one of the sketches was very reminiscent of Hilter.

nP9mT.jpg

While no doubt unrelated to the PC Master Race there actually was such a thing. Remember a while back when snapshots of concept art for Valve's SOB Space game got out, one of the sketches was very reminiscent of Hilter.

http://i.imgur.com/nP9mT.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

First I'm hearing about this sob space game. Just googled it for the video and the birds is flight in fantastic. Just looking at the guys show reel he is very talented at handling the physics of multiple objects. Really sorry to see him leave Valve.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Stick with it. It gets pretty bananas later on. Just make sure that you're playing on the highest difficulty, which should have been the default.

HoosTrax

Well, yeah, if Hitler were an emo Cupid.

Derrick01

Banned
You do know that THQ also makes good games? That we could loose if those developers have to close up or be sold till EA or Activision if THQ desides to call it a day?

They make ok games. Nothing I would boast about, in all seriousness that's probably why they are where they are now. Games that range from bad to mediocre to decent.

Stick with it. It gets pretty bananas later on. Just make sure that you're playing on the highest difficulty, which should have been the default.

I already uninstalled it last night after my rage quit. I just couldn't stand playing that boring game anymore. I'm going to install Guerilla to wash away that awful feeling Armageddon gave me.

1-D_FTW

Not really. I believe with Windows 8 they are double downing. They are going to flatten the service and just call it Xbox live.

Yeah. They're going to try and leverage Live so that it becomes the app store across PC/Xbox/Mobile. Emphasis on mobile. This is their last chance. If they strike out again in the mobile space, they're absolutely done with ever getting a foothold in that space and they're consigned to a long-term decline as the desktop market fades.

Dice

For whatever reason I don't even consider that tower defense. It's 100x more interesting than Sanctum, for instance. The genre on the whole blows ass.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dice is on point with Tower Defense games. I hate that it has become the indie genre du jour. It seems like every new indie game coming out is a "radical" new take on the formula that still manages to do absolutely nothing for me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The problem is that TDs are often just really limited and slow paced strategy games. The fast paced ones with more interaction play a lot better. I recommend Orcs Must Die, Dungeon Defenders, Cubemen and Revenge of the Titans.

Dice

If you liked Avadon that much I think you're going to love Avernum. Its a much more freeform experience, its almost an open-world game.
So is it kind of a roguelike that isn't a roguelike? I still need to go through Avadon, though. I just wish it had a pixel doubling option because I have to play 720p to see things comfortably and I don't like the softness of interpolated.

Wok

So is it kind of a roguelike that isn't a roguelike? I still need to go through Avadon, though. I just wish it had a pixel doubling option because I have to play 720p to see things comfortably and I don't like the softness of interpolated.

RPG in its purest form. Lots of text to read to get in the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom