• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

Problem is that the more you like the movie Aliens (and A3) the more reason you'll have to hate the game. 'Freak show' is a pretty fitting description.

But I of course understand why someone wants to see it for himself, I did too.

I waited for this game for so long that buying it was inevitable. I did manage to wait until it was $5 though. Had it been reviewed as even 'mediocre' I would've probably dropped at least $30 on it.

derExperte

RPS will have a big news later today.

iSEZ5ueeGSkFJ.PNG

When I started searching for RPS on Twitter and entered rock it showed me the Rockstar account first. There is no other logical explanation than that the GTA5 PC announcement is imminent.

Grief.exe

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9050/

Talking about Germany Nabs

Really? Bethesda knew that BFG wasn't as good as OG Doom 3?

Why would people want to buy a $30 release, when they can get a better product for $10, or less than that on sale.

To counter this, they just straight up removed Doom 3 from the store.

Any more news I can find about DayZ as a Stand alone game fellow GAFfers? Also, they showed interest in the PS4 I believe, right? Trying to find that article.

I'm actually making the OT for Standalone. I have a section in the OT devoted to changes made from the mod, there are a significant amount and I'm sure I've missed several.

Rocket is considering a console release, that will be far down the line though. Needs to have a stable game, then add all of the features he wants in, then they can work on a console version.

ibaqlBPDRYOzbB.png

• Weapon models are being completely redone
  • New audio will be recorded for the game. Everything from the mod will be replaced including weapons, ambient sounds, vehicles, etc.
  • Zombie pathing and AI has been fixed.
  • Game engine is based on the RV3 engine from Take on Helicopters. The backend was completely rewritten for Server/Client architecture.
  • Servers can now support over 150 players at once.
  • Zombie spawns and AI are handled by the server.
  • New animations and skeletons have been created for players and zombies.
  • Loot is spawned by the server.
  • New Chernarus+ Map with thousands of improvements from textures, foliage improvements, increased devastation, areas, general improvements to realism, and more.
  • New Apartment area near Chernogorsk
  • Whole northern area of the map recreated with additional content.
  • Swamp areas littered across the map.
  • Massive Island added southeast of Elektro
  • Derelict cargo ship added along the eastern shoreline.
  • All buildings can now be entered, with custom loot spawns, textures, and rooms for every house.
  • Hospitals and schools have been completely reworked with new areas added to each.
  • New inventory system with the ability to switch out cosmetic items on the character such as different clothes.
  • Robust crafting system has been implemented.
  • Weapons no longer spawn with attachments, they are crafted from items scavenged from the world.
  • Items need to be disinfected if the previous user had a disease.
  • Radios have been added for direct communication between players. Other players can intercept and listen in on these communications.
  • Internet stations can be listened to through the radios.
  • Radios can be placed on the ground and set to transmit, this can be heard by all players in the area and can be used for setting traps.
  • [Future] Instanced base system. Underground bases can be built by the players.
  • [Future] Vehicles are being completely redone - new handling mechanics, modular repairs, and sounds.

The_Monk

Thank you fellow GAFfer Grief, that's a nice list. I hope this can happen on for consoles, even if it's far out. More people need to experience a game like this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why would people want to buy a $30 release, when they can get a better product for $10, or less than that on sale.

That doesn't mean they knew Doom 3 was better. They knew it was a better deal so they removed it. Those are two different things.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

What Stallion is driving at is that Doom 3 wasn't temporarily pulled because it's a better product, but because it's a better value proposition. It's quite easy to predict what people would opt for when searching for "Doom 3" on Steam and seeing the $29.99 BFG Edition alongside the $12.99 Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil bundle.

Edit: Beaten.

Grief.exe

That doesn't mean they knew Doom 3 was better. They knew it was a better deal so they removed it. Those are two different things.

What Stallion is driving at is that Doom 3 wasn't temporarily pulled because it's a better product, but because it's a better value proposition. It's quite easy to predict what people would opt for when searching for "Doom 3" on Steam and seeing the $29.99 BFG Edition alongside the $12.99 Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil bundle.

Edit: Beaten.

I agree, it was a better value as well.

I was thinking I alluded to that with the $10 price and a better product.

JaseC

I agree, it was a better value as well.

I was thinking I alluded to that with the $10 price and a better product.

The point is that this wasn't a factor. It was a business decision based purely on the pricing gulf between the bundle of the original games and the re-release: the perception among enthusiasts that Doom 3 is the superior option because of mod support wouldn't have played into it.

derExperte

Can't you buy it. it's a risk but you can then put it back at your price as long as noone else copies him

I considered buying the card for a second but all other cards for the game are around this price. Which is stupid as there aren't a lot available but now there's a big chance more cheap cards will flood the market before people start buying them.

Acccent

Can't you buy it. it's a risk but you can then put it back at your price as long as noone else copies him

Nah, because now the floodgates are open and more cards like this one are gonna be put on the market. And I don't really care about selling them anyway, I just thought if by chance anyone REALLY wanted one, it was an opportunity I couldn't miss.

Anyway, so I was idling it (Lunnye Devitsy) and like Wake it's astounding that this game exists on Steam in that state. There isn't even a menu, and to quit the game there's apparently no other way than Alt-F4 (the game does fade to black before exiting though, so I wonder why they couldn't at least map that command to Escape.)

Grief.exe

The point is that this wasn't a factor. It was a business decision based purely on the pricing gulf between the bundle of the original games and the re-release: the perception among enthusiasts that Doom 3 is the superior option because of mod support wouldn't have played into it.

I'm sure the modding situation was discussed internally when coming to that decision. Carmack mentioned multiple times on release they would look into releasing the tools.

I think we are just arguing semantics though. What they were talking about, what portion of an argument to emphasize the most.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm sure the modding situation was discussed internally when coming to that decision. Carmack mentioned multiple times on release they would look into releasing the tools.

I think we are just arguing semantics though. What they were talking about, what portion of an argument to emphasize the most.

The release is half iDtech 5, what are they suppose to do?

And was Carmack the one who told Bethesda to remove the OG release?

"Hey papa Bethesda, this port doesn't support mods so you should totally remove the original so people buy this one instead. Because mods are required to make this game good."

dani_dc

The one day in two weeks where I go out and I miss Skulls of the Shogun sale.
That will teach me not to venture outside again.

JaseC

Are you sure you're not confusing the release of a BFG-compatible SDK with the release of the source code itself?

Grief.exe

The release is half iDtech 5, what are they suppose to do?

Apparently take away real time shadows and remove the original game from Steam.

And was Carmack the one who told Bethesda to remove the OG release?

Never said that or alluded to that. Just said that Carmack mentioned mod tools in response.

That was quite a leap.

Are you sure you're not confusing the release of a BFG-compatible SDK with the release of the source code itself?

I honestly don't remember, happened too long ago to remember specifics.

Freezard

I am quite positive that mod tools will be available for BFG sometime in the future. I mean, we need that co-op mod. Loadsa fun. I am going to mention that most glitches in the original Doom 3 was fixed in BFG, which could be a good or bad thing.

Acccent

Okay guys. Do you think I should seriously take the opportunity that just arised and try to control the whole market for Lunnye Devitsy's "Rocket" card? ie literally buy everything that's below my prices, and then sell it back for more. It's a fairly unknown game, it should be manageable maybe? I don't actually know, I've never paid much attention to the whole cards thing and don't know the practices. Do you reckon it's doable?

Kifimbo

Okay guys. Do you think I should seriously take the opportunity that just arised and try to control the whole market for Lunnye Devitsy's "Rocket" card? ie literally buy everything that's below my prices, and then sell it back for more. It's a fairly unknown game, it should be manageable maybe? I don't actually know, I've never paid much attention to the whole cards thing and don't know the practices. Do you reckon it's doable?

Don't.

Grief.exe

Seems like it would be quite a risky investment.

Xanathus

Yep sounds totally possible, you can do it! I believe in you.
everyone who has that card, quickly list it for like 75% of the lowest current card value, there's a rube who's going to pay big bucks for your card!

Ardvent

This was fun, I wrote a script to scrape the steam marketplace every 5 minutes for any items I have in my inventory worth more than $7 and sell them for a penny less than the highest price.

U0gpZc7.png

Not bad for only running it two days.

Cards will continue to drop over the next few days and undercut you all the time. Also, no buyer is actually stubip enough to buy multiple cards at high prices, since he can expect that they will fall onto 0,20 levels again.

Just don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom