• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

Yeah. I don't remember which indie game it was, but it was a popular and critically acclaimed one. The devs published an image on their blog with sale stats and the game sold thousands of units on Steam according to the graph, but about 40 (!) or something like that on Desura.

Yeah I think it was even lower than that. It is almost useless right now, but still it's a relatively known brand, and it's a haven for a lot of indies who can't get on Steam. If Linden Labs keep this attitude but fix all the interface and service problems (like that empty ftp thing), I think it could grow.
In the same vein, there's Indievania, but they're even smaller and I remember reading somewhere that they had terrible practices.

Here's an article about Defender's Quest: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers_.php
Desura and Impulse barely register on the above charts, and their combined total was under $1000. Had players not been able to buy the game on GOG or Steam instead, I suspect sales on these platforms would have been higher. I know some developers have made good sales with these platforms, so I wouldn't write them off entirely, but our experience wasn't particularly lucrative.
(for reference the articles says they made $34,800 in a single Daily Deal on Steam)

Here's maybe the thing you remembered, about Atom Zombie Smasher (which is a fairly high profile indie game, so it fits): http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/03/07/just-how-important-is-steam-for-indie-devs
Steam: 96,000
BMT Micro (direct sales): 1,800
GamersGate: 155
Direct2Drive: 87
Impulse: 85
Ubuntu Store: 48
Desura*: 24

*shorter sales period.

Also, Swing Swing Submarine unveiled some data about how well Blocks That Matter did:
BlocksThatMatter_in_figures_2011.jpg
Surprisingly, more copies were sold on Indievania than on Desura.

HoosTrax

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or if it is a real phenomenon, but it feels like the pace of quality indie game releases is a lot faster now than it was two years ago. At least, I feel like even cherry-picking the best-received indie games, I'm still having a hard time just keeping up.

fleck0

Oh wow the rest of Digital Combat Sim was finally added, I hope existing owners can add it, Eagle Dynamics DRM has always been a little annoying.

steam forums don't have a lot of info yet but the outlook isn't great.

[quote='"DCS World patch notes 8/2"]We do not believe it is possible to move DCS products purchased outside of Steam into Steam.[/quote]

fernandes

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or if it is a real phenomenon, but it feels like the pace of quality indie game releases is a lot faster now than it was two years ago. At least, I feel like even cherry-picking the best-received indie games, I'm still having a hard time just keeping up.

Yeah I feel the same way, there are a lot more top notch indie games coming out these days.

Grief.exe

Since we are discussing sales numbers, I will post some that Hitbox, the developers of Dustforce, released.

These don't necessarily coincide with the discussion at hand, but very interesting nonetheless. Its also important to note that the sales were probably not handled perfectly, like Recettear, they went to Bundle too soon.

Also gives me an excuse to post their next game, which looks awesome.

midweek-madness.png

net-income.png

Hitbox's new game is called Spire. An FPS/RPG/Roguelike in a procedural generated tower.
Tons of items and magic to find throughout the tower.

On Spire, one of our goals since the beginning has been to create an FPS movement system that feels snappy like Dustforce, incorporating walljumps, wall sliding, and other advanced techniques.

We want to make Spire a game where it's fun to watch extremely skilled players as they sprint around dashing off walls while switching items and combining their effects in clever ways. It's a joy to watch really good Quake 3 CPMA players, to see them combine trickjumping and weapon switching to pull off majestic moves - we want to let people achieve comparable levels of skill.

spire-1.jpg

Salsa

Crysis 2 might be the game with the most in-game advertising of it's own developer ive ever seen

every street sign is a Crytek sign

heck:

iJvc1bOsSLy9Z.jpg

so dumb

I miss fake videogame brands. Missed opportunity

Nabs

Since we are discussing sales numbers, I will post some that Hitbox, the developers of Dustforce, released.

These don't necessarily coincide with the discussion at hand, but very interesting nonetheless. Its also important to note that the sales were probably not handled perfectly, like Recettear, they went to Bundle too soon.

Also gives me an excuse to post their next game, which looks awesome.

midweek-madness.png

net-income.png

Hitbox's new game is called Spire. An FPS/RPG/Roguelike in a procedural generated tower.
Tons of items and magic to find throughout the tower.

spire-1.jpg

The bigger issue is them completely skipping both summer sales for no reason.

Grief.exe

The bigger issue is them completely skipping both summer sales for no reason.

They've proven to be great game designers, poor business men.

Dat Crysis 2 keyboard texture. CryENGINE 2 is such an advanced and powerfull engine.
Jeez, that screenshot makes Crysis 2 look terrible.

Going by the IQ in that screenshot, I don't think Salsa is running the game at max or with mods.

Bummed we don't seem to be getting any Crysis 3 Single Player dlc, I really enjoyed the game in general and thought it was a pretty tight, fun experience. Although the turret hacking was quite poor.

Salsa

Going by the IQ in that screenshot, I don't think Salsa is running the game at max or with mods.

I am both maxing and playing with mods. It's the shitty JPEG compression + a shitty close up of a shitty looking area

im downsampling also tho, wich doesnt help screens

Gvaz

Banned
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Oniken -- MB-82DCD6946C505491
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-2208E54A928B968D - Taken by cammy84
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD -- MB-E7EC4198D750D381 - Taken by Cloudius12
Dungeons the Dark Lord -- MB-DBFAAB03B6A5927F - Taken by Cyberquake
Disciples III Renaissance -- MB-84CFC321DE760255 - Taken by jshackles
Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise -- MB-67EDD773FEE2ECE4 - Taken by intheinbetween
Cargo Commander -- MB-C7356F75336FE026 - Taken by Baron von Loathsome
Zeno Clash -- MB-023E63249CC74439 - Taken by sibarraz
The Journey Down: Chapter 1 -- MB-D6F6E1A81C2EDBA7 - Taken by fantomena

Oniken is actually a DESURA key, just so you know.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks, anyone used nuuvem.com.br before ? Reason I ask is that I'm looking to get Saints Row 4 and whilst looking at Dunders Google store he mentions to pick it up cheap from this place. I assume it's fine if he's mentioning it just wondering if anyones bought from it before. SR4 is around £20 or so from there so half the price of what its currently going for.

Gbraga

Hey folks, anyone used nuuvem.com.br before ? Reason I ask is that I'm looking to get Saints Row 4 and whilst looking at Dunders Google store he mentions to pick it up cheap from this place. I assume it's fine if he's mentioning it just wondering if anyones bought from it before. SR4 is around £20 or so from there so half the price of what its currently going for.

It's the best digital store in Brazil, I always buy things there, they're legit :)

The Bureau is also cheap there.

EDIT: Titanfall is ~$45 there, which is pretty good since as far as I know it's 60 in the US, right?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's the best digital store in Brazil, I always buy things there, they're legit :)

The Bureau is also cheap there.

EDIT: Titanfall is ~$45 there, which is pretty good since as far as I know it's 60 in the US, right?

Good man, thank you! :) I assume it's usually WW versions for games from them ? I can only really think of games having separate Russian versions and that's about it really (well that and say some censored versions for Germany etc)

Yeah Titan will be $60 in the US, probably £40 in the UK for me (or maybe £35)

Gbraga

Good man, thank you! :) I assume it's usually WW versions for games from them ? I can only really think of games having separate Russian versions and that's about it really (well that and say some censored versions for Germany etc)

Hm, can't say for sure, never saw anyone saying they couldn't activate a steam key from Nuuvem.

Hanzou

Nobody happened to pick up an extra copy of ultimate doom yesterday on sale did they? I was an idiot and got caught up doing things and forgot to purchase it.

I've bought some games from them and I can assure you they're very reliable.

Acccent

Hey guys, from time to time I get a weird thing in Dark Souls - it's like I just killed something and I get the experience but the "pixie dust" is coming from above my head and is gold-ish. Is that explained later in the game (I'm in... Blighttown...) and if it isn't, can someone here tell me what it means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom