• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
downsampling to lower than 60 fps is sin

you're basically downgrading the whole game to crap just to remove some jaggies

don't you people ever learn!?

v3aWOG9.png

Forgive me Gaben, for I have sinned

dani_dc

The fact that Broken age first got 25% off coupons and now has a 33% discount is making me think that the game isn't selling as well as Double Fine had hoped to cover the costs of Episode 2.

what the fuck is this?

EoS_Capsule.jpg

terraria devs gunning for that starbound money

It's not the same studio as Terraria, is it? Terraria was Re-Logic... which I was under the impression had done Starbound, since it seemed like the successor to Terraria... but Re-Logic did neither, apparently?
Unless you just mean the "now with official Terraria content" part...

I noticed it because it had that aped Contra 3 mech skeleton in the artwork and was on the front page momentarily.

Backlogger

The fact that Broken age first got 25% off coupons and now has a 33% discount is making me think that the game isn't selling as well as Double Fine had hoped to cover the costs of Episode 2.

It would sell better if they would let you combine the coupon with the current offer :)

So The Bureau is pretty sweet if you love micromanaging. I've just accepted that the squad will tug it until I tell them otherwise. I literally had one run over a mine....I thought self preservation was implied.

My first mission went : me - 100% of the kills. them - 0% of the kills. I think those numbers will move a bit more during the remaining missions.

how old is gaben

ask Google

I'm a little confused at how everyone's kind of flirting with sharla even tho she's a recent widow or something

like show some respect yo

Well this is the game where all the female characters wear very revealing 'armour', walk seductively towards the camera which then focuses entirely on their cleavage so....

Grief.exe

For as large as Max Payne 3 is, I'm surprised Rockstar couldn't be bothered to add a benchmark tool. I finally had to download fraps.

My fps occasionally dips into the 30s during cutscenes and during gameplay it's between 45-60+. I should probably use a slightly lower res when downsampling.

If you are going for image quality, MSAA > FXAA

I find diminishing returns in downsampling past 1440p, of course downsampling from 4k will make a ridiculously sharp image.

-MD-

I've played through the game 5 or so times and the Capra Demon is still a dick to face. Kill off the dogs and the fight is a walk in the park.

The very first time I ever fought that boss I simply walked up the stairs and shot arrows.

Was honestly the easiest boss in the game.

FloatOn

It's not the same studio as Terraria, is it? Terraria was Re-Logic... which I was under the impression had done Starbound, since it seemed like the successor to Terraria... but Re-Logic did neither, apparently?
Unless you just mean the "now with official Terraria content" part...

I noticed it because it had that aped Contra 3 mech skeleton in the artwork and was on the front page momentarily.

starbound dev split off from the terraria team to make his dream game.

edge of space starts as a starbound clone and now the terraria guy is helping the edge of space guy with content from terraria. smells shady.

Jintor

So I wasn't really inquiring as to how the region locking works so far, but as an Aussie, am I boned on DSII? Wilflare gifting not gonna work no more?

zkylon

zkylewd
Well this is the game where all the female characters wear very revealing 'armour', walk seductively towards the camera which then focuses entirely on their cleavage so....

well at least for now it's been pretty acceptable in that regard, even tho sharla can go fully panties on the makna forest outfit which is kinda weird

tbh I wish they didn't make her and the other girl so fucking useful as my bro squad is much more likable

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have it since before it was released and haven't played it yet. I should feel bad.

Zafir

I'm a little confused at how everyone's kind of flirting with sharla even tho she's a recent widow or something

like show some respect yo

To be fair to Reyn, I'm pretty sure I thought the guy was just her mentor rather than boyfriend at first! He was old enough to be her father....

Zia

Just so you know, the Devolver bundle is benefitting Brandon Boyer. He's chairman of the IGF, founder of Venus Patrol, former Offworld and EDGE editor. He's done a lot for indie games.

well at least for now it's been pretty acceptable in that regard, even tho sharla can go fully panties on the makna forest outfit which is kinda weird

tbh I wish they didn't make her and the other girl so fucking useful as my bro squad is much more likable

Well you're still early in the game. Come back to me after another 100 hours or so :p.

If this was a Jeopardy answer, would any question be wrong?

I have no idea since I am an Englishman don't you know old chap. I know nothing of this Jeopardy malarky. I shall leave that to you Johnny Foreigner fellows, what?

dani_dc

I have it since before it was released and haven't played it yet. I should feel bad.

Well you could just use the excuse that you're waiting for Episode 2 so you don't end up the game in a cliffhanger.

Either way, it's a pleasent game and it can be finished in an afternoon with ease if you're ever in the mood for a charming easy-to-play game.

Sajjaja

I'm going to go ahead and say it, in terms of story, The Witcher 1 > The Witcher 2. Combat was good in TW2 but it could have been much better.

Also...wtf is with this game holding you hostage to watch the credits..there's a scene after it and apparently the credits are 25 mins long....

Dr Dogg

I find diminishing returns in downsampling past 1440p, of course downsampling from 4k will make a ridiculously sharp image.

Did you ever ready Durante's AA thread? Was a really good read and was a good primer as to which AA method is the best suited given the situation.

I have no idea since I am an Englishman don't you know old chap. I know nothing of this Jeopardy malarky. I shall leave that to you Johnny Foreigner fellows, what?

We had Jeopardy over here and not consigned to something like Challenge TV, it was on BBC One. Didn't last though, as all games show's these days. Well asides from Eggheads and Pointless, they just seams to go on, and on, and on...

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Knightmare is the only game show I would ever watch. Oh how I wish someone could make a game for that, perhaps some sort of VR goggles use.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well you could just use the excuse that you're waiting for Episode 2 so you don't end up the game in a cliffhanger.

Either way, it's a pleasent game and it can be finished in an afternoon with ease if you're ever in the mood for a charming easy-to-play game.
I'm always in the mood for easy games! I want nothing to do with all that Dark Souls or DMC hyper hard bullshit :p

def sim

I'm going to go ahead and say it, in terms of story, The Witcher 1 > The Witcher 2. Combat was good in TW2 but it could have been much better.

Also...wtf is with this game holding you hostage to watch the credits..there's a scene after it and apparently the credits are 25 mins long....

Oh, really? I gave up on the first thinking all I needed to play was the second, but maybe I'll give it an honest go one of these days. I need to get around to completing these games before the third comes out, anyway.

For the post credits scene: I'm sure that's available on youtube.

dani_dc

I agree with those assertions, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Witcher 1 at some point, I really like what it did with the story and the world but the game itself was pretty repetitive and uninteresting to play. Witcher 2 was janky but it felt interesting.

I do not recall 25 minutes long credits though. Can't you skip them?

I'm always in the mood for easy games! I want nothing to do with all that Dark Souls or DMC hyper hard bullshit :p

Well go for it if you have any interest, you should be able to beat it in a few hours.
You know I'm always up to help you out with Dark Souls if you need some help man!

zkylon

zkylewd

yea it's weird, like there's a lot about tw1 that feels rushed (shani, some chapter transitions) but it still has amazing character arcs for a lot of their main dudes, like siegfried, javed, adda, that head of the guard dude, taler, that other witcher you track for the whole game, etc. and like the plot twist at the end is pretty damned cool

on the other hand I really really liked tw2's approach to story. like cutscenes act like you already know your witcha lore so they talk about regions and kings and people and a lot goes over your head but as soon as you start figuring it out with the help of the codex it just becomes super immersive and you feel as if the game's respecting your intellect and letting your think the story through for yourself. like, at moments I was genuinely wondering if X or Y was trustworthy, things like that. letho is also pretty scary as an antagonist and the iorveth vs roche thing is all pretty good, and saskia is such a waifu.

thing with witcha 2 is again the transition between chapter 2 and 3 is so fucking rushed, and as a whole it's a lot less other-wordly and more political affairs than witcha 1. personally for me that was a lot better but still a hard pick which one's better

both games are super solid tho, and even tho I didn't mention them, the triss, dandelion and zoltan posse is unforgettable in both games and geralt is a man among men :3

I just really hyped myself up for witcha 3 and I still haven't tried roche's side :O

Let us retire to watch the Mastermind, old chap.
Toodlepip to the rest of you.

:)

In hindsight, Magnus M was pretty sexeh! :p

100 hours T_T?

Well I played it for about 200 but I didn't want to freak you out so I only said a 100 :p.

YMMV

I didn't even finish it :/. I just hit what I call the brick wall of meh. Still, 200 odd hours before hitting that is pretty damn good going!

We had Jeopardy over here and not consigned to something like Challenge TV, it was on BBC One. Didn't last though, as all games show's these days. Well asides from Eggheads and Pointless, they just seams to go on, and on, and on...

Oh. I did not know that. I haven't watched television for years to be honest. Was it an Anglicisation of it like Blankety Blank? Uncle Terry was sooooo sexy in that *sigh*.

Sajjaja

Oh, really? I gave up on the first thinking all I needed to play was the second, but maybe I'll give it an honest go one of these days. I need to get around to completing these games before the third comes out, anyway.

For the post credits scene: I'm sure that's available on youtube.

Definitely play through The Witcher 1. Though it doesn't have much of an impact in TW2 in my experience, it's worth it for the cast of characters because they are wonderfully molded.

And as for that post credits scene, they didn't really say as to what it pertained other than "The End of the Game," so since it was an RPG I figured it might be adapted to my game choices...but it wasn't....

I agree with those assertions, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Witcher 1 at some point, I really like what it did with the story and the world but the game itself was pretty repetitive and uninteresting to play. Witcher 2 was janky but it felt interesting.

I do not recall 25 minutes long credits though. Can't you skip them?

I think The Witcher 1 holds up quite well actually, I didn't mind the combat mechanics though dodging/rolling it in felt quite useless. As for the credits, I didn't know if it was a custom ending or a generic one. It said I had to watch the credits to get to it.

I thought this was general knowledge.

Didn't know. Stayed away from TW spoilers because I had to finish them.

yea it's weird, like there's a lot about tw1 that feels rushed (shani, some chapter transitions) but it still has amazing character arcs for a lot of their main dudes, like siegfried, javed, adda, that head of the guard dude, taler, that other witcher you track for the whole game, etc. and like the plot twist at the end is pretty damned cool

on the other hand I really really liked tw2's approach to story. like cutscenes act like you already know your witcha lore so they talk about regions and kings and people and a lot goes over your head but as soon as you start figuring it out with the help of the codex it just becomes super immersive and you feel as if the game's respecting your intellect and letting your think the story through for yourself. like, at moments I was genuinely wondering if X or Y was trustworthy, things like that. letho is also pretty scary as an antagonist and the iorveth vs roche thing is all pretty good, and saskia is such a waifu.

thing with witcha 2 is again the transition between chapter 2 and 3 is so fucking rushed, and as a whole it's a lot less other-wordly and more political affairs than witcha 1. personally for me that was a lot better but still a hard pick which one's better

both games are super solid tho, and even tho I didn't mention them, the triss, dandelion and zoltan posse is unforgettable in both games and geralt is a man among men :3

I just really hyped myself up for witcha 3 and I still haven't tried roche's side :O

I just did my first playthrough choosing Roche's path. Will definitely playthrough again closer to TW3s release on Iorveth's path. And I agree that much of TW2 felt rushed and I think it suffered from being overall shorter than TW1. I'll have to read through the codex and stuff sometime later. I thought the dialogue was better in TW2 though. Some parts made my laugh out loud genuinely. But overall writing was better in TW1.

I really hope TW3 fixes up the combat flaws. I played with that combat rebalance mod so I don't know how bad it was vanilla, but there was still much to be desired.

There are still so many questions I have from TW1 that have yet to be answered like
what happened to the other witchers I separated from in TW1? Where's Alvin? Why is The Wild Hunt after me? (Though they touched on this at the end of TW2)

Can't wait for TW3.

So DS2 is region locked, damn. Guessing GMG is the cheapest atm right? Also didn't someone mention that GMG doesn't give out keys until release? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Steam, this and Witcher 3 are the only fully priced games I'll buy this year anyway.

kurahador

There are still so many questions I have from TW1 that have yet to be answered like
Where's Alvin? Why is The Wild Hunt after me? (Though they touched on this at the end of TW2)

Can't wait for TW3.

Alvin was the last boss in TW1. And the mystery of the Wild Hunt will be the main focus of TW3 IINM.

Thanks for that info.

I tried downsampling from 1440p with 2xmsaa but my framerate ends up ranging from 35-70. So I just set it at 1080p and 2xmsaa. During gameplay it looks just as sharp (to me) and my frame rate is almost always 60+.

dani_dc

I think The Witcher 1 holds up quite well actually, I didn't mind the combat mechanics though dodging/rolling it in felt quite useless. As for the credits, I didn't know if it was a custom ending or a generic one. It said I had to watch the credits to get to it.

The Witcher 1 was an odd experience to me, I remember thinking the gameplay and level design was pretty mediocre while playing the game (too much walking back and foward, while the fight system was brainless), but as soon as I finished the game I felt nostalgic about the entire experience.

I'd say that was due to the great work that CD Projekt did with bringing The Witcher world and characters to life via the game writing and atmosphere.

So DS2 is region locked, damn. Guessing GMG is the cheapest atm right? Also didn't someone mention that GMG doesn't give out keys until release? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Steam, this and Witcher 3 are the only fully priced games I'll buy this year anyway.

GMG gives keys about 24 hours before release, I think -- people still got their RE4 keys close to launch and were able to preload... maybe not as early as they liked, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom