• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

Alvin was the last boss in TW1. And the mystery of the Wild Hunt will be the main focus of TW3 IINM.

Yeah I thought it might be Alvin due to the necklace, but his hair colour was different so I'm not sure. Plus I think that was would be shitty if he was all of a sudden he became a religious zealot and your "parenting," had no influence on his character.

Why do people say to use SAM? What does it do that going to the Badges tab in your steam profile to see your cards yet to be earned can't do?

allows you to easily idle more than 1 game at a time without even installing the game. do you really want to install 67gb of data for idling CoD:Ghosts for cards if you don't intend to play it?

kurahador

Yeah I thought it might be Alvin due to the necklace, but his hair colour was different so I'm not sure. Plus I think that was would be shitty if he was all of a sudden he became a religious zealot and your "parenting," had no influence on his character.

Yeah...sadly
the parenting thing only affected his dialogue in the end.
And with the "parenting" thing being littered throughout the game, I never got a sense of closure from it.

Dec

I wonder if they'll go as crazy as the books with the Witcher 3. I really don't think so, but it would be really cool. The kind of moments you need to reread chapters to make sure you didn't imagine things. The Witcher games are their own story-lines, but a small amount of the books have leaked into it and knowing what is possible in the world, it should be cool to see some of the reactions from people that only played the games if they choose to get into that stuff.

Kaper

allows you to easily idle more than 1 game at a time without even installing the game. do you really want to install 67gb of data for idling CoD:Ghosts for cards if you don't intend to play it?

I see, thank you. I think I'll keep with my "play the game for an hour to see if its worth playing more" strategy.

Garcia

Last night, as I kept playing my Survivor run in Bioshock a gut feeling made me think twice before venturing further into it. The reason for this? I'm aiming to unlock the "I choose the impossible" achievement.

There was a problem though: I hadn't deactivated the Vita Chambers from the beginning. I completely forgot about it.

Long story short and no rage-quit involved (being honest here) I started a fresh new run. It wasn't that much of a deal since I had reached Fort Frolic and that's just past halfway if my memory serves me right.

I have to say that I'm absolutely having a blast with the game now. It is a whole different beast. Each splicer encounter is adrenaline packed and filled with strategy, you have to use every single terrain feature to your advantage when survival is your goal. Cameras, security bots, water filled rooms, turrets (you even have to protect them!). . .it is insane. I honestly can't believe I'm playing the same game as before.

It transformed into one of the most nerve-wracking yet surprisingly rewarding FPS I've played in many many years.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm totally mindblown by how the entire game design makes total sense once you deactivate the stupid Vita Chambers. Took me over an hour to claim the Telekinesis plasmid and I enjoyed every single minute.

Last night, as I kept playing my Survivor run in Bioshock a gut feeling made me think twice before venturing further into it. The reason for this? I'm aiming to unlock the "I choose the impossible" achievement.

There was a problem though: I hadn't deactivated the Vita Chambers from the beginning. I completely forgot about it.

Long story short and no rage-quit involved (being honest here) I started a fresh new run. It wasn't that much of a deal since I had reached Fort Frolic and that's just past halfway if my memory serves me right.

I have to say that I'm absolutely having a blast with the game now. It is a whole different beast. Each splicer encounter is adrenaline packed and filled with strategy, you have to use every single terrain feature to your advantage when survival is your goal. Cameras, security bots, water filled rooms, turrets (you even have to protect them!). . .it is insane. I honestly can't believe I'm playing the same game as before.

It transformed into one of the most nerve-wracking yet surprisingly rewarding FPS I've played in many many years.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm totally mindblown by how the entire game design makes total sense once you deactivate the stupid Vita Chambers. Took me over an hour to claim the Telekinesis plasmid and I enjoyed every single minute.

I did it on PS3 and it was intense. I was saving after every encounter and looking everywhere for pickups. I would backtrack a long ways to get an extra medpack or something too).

Caerith

I have no idea since I am an Englishman don't you know old chap. I know nothing of this Jeopardy malarky. I shall leave that to you Johnny Foreigner fellows, what?
Jeopardy is a gameshow where the contestants are given an answer (eg, "This gameshow presents contestants with an answer which must be responded to with a question.") and the contestants have to answer it with the correct question (eg, "What is Jeopardy?").

It's because of Valve they can make such a decision in the first place. It's a system that didn't exist up until MGR.
It's probably because of publishers that Valve came up with such a system in the first place, though. What's more likely, that Valve forced Konami to regionlock MGR, or that Konami begged Valve to let them?

I agree with those assertions, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Witcher 1 at some point, I really like what it did with the story and the world but the game itself was pretty repetitive and uninteresting to play. Witcher 2 was janky but it felt interesting.
I might stand alone in this opinion, but if they remade the Witcher I think they should make it as a DMC-style action game. Witchers are badasses in the books: faster and stronger than humanly possible, and pretty much untouchable in combat (you can list all the humans who have so much as scratched Geralt on one hand, and each of those were pretty extenuating circumstances). Witchers, in the game, are slow and weak. Ordinary humans pose a serious threat, and fighting them is slow and boring. I mean, even if remade as an MGR- or DMC-style game, still keep the dialogue trees and choices, but the core gameplay is dull as hell.

zkylon

zkylewd
lol nvm apparently I already had dysfunctional systems

holy fuck I'm sad

I just did my first playthrough choosing Roche's path. Will definitely playthrough again closer to TW3s release on Iorveth's path. And I agree that much of TW2 felt rushed and I think it suffered from being overall shorter than TW1. I'll have to read through the codex and stuff sometime later. I thought the dialogue was better in TW2 though. Some parts made my laugh out loud genuinely. But overall writing was better in TW1.

I really hope TW3 fixes up the combat flaws. I played with that combat rebalance mod so I don't know how bad it was vanilla, but there was still much to be desired.

There are still so many questions I have from TW1 that have yet to be answered like
what happened to the other witchers I separated from in TW1? Where's Alvin? Why is The Wild Hunt after me? (Though they touched on this at the end of TW2)

Can't wait for TW3.
yeah tw2 was pretty much typical "middle" game in that it doesn't really solve anything or bring anything new either but it was still a pretty good ride, unlike most of 'em.

also the iorveth path is actually pretty good, I really like roche and all but dat saskia man

total waifu love

What. Seriously, that never happened for me.
What difficulty are you playing on?

Not sure...2 or 3 i think? The key is to make sure they are targeting someone. I basically spend more time on them and just chip in and flank when they're busy.

Most of the skills work well together. Especially Lift. Sniper is still god-tier.

Sajjaja

lol nvm apparently I already had dysfunctional systems

holy fuck I'm sad

yeah tw2 was pretty much typical "middle" game in that it doesn't really solve anything or bring anything new either but it was still a pretty good ride, unlike most of 'em.

also the iorveth path is actually pretty good, I really like roche and all but dat saskia man

total waifu love

I think an achievement spoiled something from the Iorveth plotline lol. I'm pretty sure Saskia is
the dragon that we see throughout the game because of the "Dragonheart" achievement because it popped up after I spared the dragon. That in itself raises many questions.

what the fuck is this?

EoS_Capsule.jpg

terraria devs gunning for that starbound money

They did announced that crossover with the Terraria developer last year as you can read here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/15/edge-of-space-dev-on-major-fixes-terraria-clones/

This game has been on Early access for some time now, I wonder which one will be finished first Starbound or Edge of Space.

is there a separate thread for Steam confessions? I don't really like
One Way Heroics
. Somehow it still feels slow even with the sword of damocles

Garcia

One Way Heroics

Don't worry, it's ok if you don't like it. Have you been playing on Easy?

I did it on PS3 and it was intense. I was saving after every encounter and looking everywhere for pickups. I would backtrack a long ways to get an extra medpack or something too).

That's exactly the word for it: Intense.

I can't wait to play it later tonight.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think an achievement spoiled something from the Iorveth plotline lol. I'm pretty sure Saskia is
the dragon that we see throughout the game because of the "Dragonheart" achievement because it popped up after I spared the dragon. That in itself raises many questions.
yup

makes her even hotter

mmitt

Getting South Park to work on my PC is a nightmare (since it's delayed here)

First, none of the VPN solutions worked. My Steam client just wouldn't connect with any of them (Chrome worked fine)
Finally found TunnelBear, which let me at least activate the game on my account.
Switched back, got it downloaded. Perfect!

After it finished, I hopped back on the VPN to unlock it, which crashed my Steam client twice. After a restart at least that worked.

Went into offline mode and started the game, German text/subtitles.
Changed that in Steam -> Update Required. Stayed there at 0 bytes / 0 bytes for a couple seconds, then disappeared from the download list. Client/PC restart didn't help.

Uninstalled the game, now the pre-load doesn't start. Same issue: stays at 0 bytes, and just... vanishes a couple seconds later
Any files I have to delete besides the appmanifest_[id] and the south park folder in steamapps/common? For some reason they were still there after I deleted the game

First, none of the VPN solutions worked. My Steam client just wouldn't connect with any of them (Chrome worked fine)
Finally found TunnelBear, which let me at least activate the game on my account.

After it finished, I hopped back on the VPN to unlock it, which crashed my Steam client twice. After a restart at least that worked.

Changed that in Steam -> Update Required. Stayed there at 0 bytes / 0 bytes for a couple seconds, then disappeared from the download list. Client/PC restart didn't help.

Uninstalled the game, now the pre-load doesn't start. Same issue: stays at 0 bytes, and just... vanishes a couple seconds later
Any files I have to delete besides the appmanifest_[id] and the south park folder in steamapps/common? For some reason they were still there after I deleted the game

That's some bad luck.

Card Boy

Banned

At least you found the out the awesomeness of TunnelBear. I activated Inversion with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, games that can only be played in certain countries depending on where they were bought.
arfbLj9.png

Same goes for most countries in Latin America.

The AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting and onlyallowrunincountries flags share the same store notice but it actually applies only to the latter, which has been around for yonks -- it didn't start with the former. ACRTAG region-locks gifts from South American and Eastern European users but only in terms of redeeming the gift to your account while OARIC actually requires you to have an IP address in one of the whitelisted regions to run at all, hence the phrasing. So, for example, a Brazilian copy of South Park is going to work worldwide once activated because the sub used on the store is the rest-of-world one whereas a copy sourced from an Eastern European user would require you to use a VPN to actually play.

Caerith

One Way Heroics

It is pretty slow, and there's a lot of running without encountering monsters or doing much other than draining energy. Most of the appeal I think is in the moments of crisis that punctuate it.

One Way Heroics is pretty neat.

I beat it on my second try, I guess on "easy" level.

I love arcade style RPGs though, so I'll probably spend a lot of time with this one.

KarmaCow

How does pre-ordering on GMG work, does it charge your card right away or does it wait until it ships/emails the key? I want to take advantage of the 20% off coupon for Dark Souls 2 but there might be better deals later.

ESCAPE GOAT 2 MARCH 24TH.

Sweet, I'm in.

JaseC

Try deleting everything in your Steam folder except for Steam.exe, steamapps and userdata (if you have any screenshots you'd like to keep), then run Steam.exe to essentially reinstall Steam.

neoemonk

How does pre-ordering on GMG work, does it charge your card right away or does it wait until it ships/emails the key? I want to take advantage of the 20% off coupon for Dark Souls 2 but there might be better deals later.

Hmm, 20% you say? I've been sitting on some Steam credit in preparation for Dark Souls 2 but there is no lack of things to buy. I wouldn't mind picking it up for a little cheaper.

mmitt

Try deleting everything in your Steam folder except for Steam.exe, steamapps and userdata (if you have any screenshots you'd like to keep), then run Steam.exe to essentially reinstall Steam.

After all other downloads didn't start too ("No connection to content servers") I tried that.
Now I'm getting an error as if I were offline :(

Here's the bootstrap_log:

Code:
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Startup - updater built Mar  6 2014 17:48:03
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Verifying installation...
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Unable to read and verify install manifest D:\Steam\package\steam_client_win32.installed
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Verification complete
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Downloading Update...
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Checking for available update...
[2014-03-07 05:25:25] Download failed: http error 0
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Download failed: http error 0
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] failed to load manifest from buffer.
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Failed to load manifest
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Error: Download failed: http error 0
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your network connection and try again.
[2014-03-07 05:26:33] Shutdown

According to my IP no VPN is running.

EDIT: awesome, can't login to Origin either.
I can't find anything wrong with my LAN settings though

JaseC

After all other downloads didn't start too ("No connection to content servers") I tried that.
Now I'm getting an error as if I were offline :(

Here's the bootstrap_log:

Code:
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Startup - updater built Mar  6 2014 17:48:03
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Verifying installation...
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Unable to read and verify install manifest D:\Steam\package\steam_client_win32.installed
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Verification complete
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Downloading Update...
[2014-03-07 05:25:24] Checking for available update...
[2014-03-07 05:25:25] Download failed: http error 0
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Download failed: http error 0
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] failed to load manifest from buffer.
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Failed to load manifest
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Error: Download failed: http error 0
[2014-03-07 05:25:26] Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your network connection and try again.
[2014-03-07 05:26:33] Shutdown

According to my IP no VPN is running.

EDIT: awesome, can't login to Origin either.
I can't find anything wrong with my LAN settings though

Try uninstalling any VPNs you've installed and restarting. I occasionally have an issue after using Spotflux where the last site I visited using it will refuse to load unless I uninstall the bloody thing.

I'm going to go ahead and say it, in terms of story, The Witcher 1 > The Witcher 2. Combat was good in TW2 but it could have been much better.

Also...wtf is with this game holding you hostage to watch the credits..there's a scene after it and apparently the credits are 25 mins long....
The story is better you say, I'm going to go back and try it when I have the time.

mmitt

Try uninstalling any VPNs you've installed and restarting. I occasionally have an issue after using Spotflux where the last site I visited using it will refuse to load unless I uninstall the bloody thing.

for some reason, the Proxyserver in the internet explorer LAN settings was set to 127.0.0.1:8888, no idea what caused that...

I can login again, and it just started the pre-load too \o/
Now let's see if everything works this time...

Grief.exe

I did the same in BioShock 2 and I really enjoyed it. Wish BioShock 1 had Steam Achievements.

JaseC

for some reason, the Proxyserver in the internet explorer LAN settings was set to 127.0.0.1:8888, no idea what caused that...

I can login again, and it just started the pre-load too \o/
Now let's see if everything works this time...

Ah, good stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
Return to Mysterious Island and Return to Mysterious Island 2 look like pretty adventure games, wishlisted. Has anyone tried them?

okayfrog

Banned
Got my roommate on Steam Family Sharing with me and I realized I hate Family Sharing. I have about 400 games he doesn't have, he has about 20 games I don't have. Great. What really bugs me, however, is that I can't access games that both of us own. I mean, I knew that wasn't possible, but for some reason I believed it would be. He's also using the PS3 controller so I can't use the PS3 for gaming. Oh well, guess I'll be catching up on films...

Same, but that's an irrational hope now.

Ahh, that's a fine bazinga.

Sajjaja

Do yall recommend playing New Vegas vanilla the first time around or is there a mod I should install prior to? I've played it many times but never finished it because some of the situations you get put in started stressing me out and I had to start new games up until the same point and just stopped playing all together on the PS3 lol. I have all the DLCs btw. Should I enable all the weapon packs or which ones should I keep?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Got my roommate on Steam Family Sharing with me and I realized I hate Family Sharing. I have about 400 games he doesn't have, he has about 20 games I don't have. Great. What really bugs me, however, is that I can't access games that both of us own. I mean, I knew that wasn't possible, but for some reason I believed it would be. He's also using the PS3 controller so I can't use the PS3 for gaming. Oh well, guess I'll be catching up on films...

Boot him off out of the game lol by starting up what you want to play.

Tecl0n

Do yall recommend playing New Vegas vanilla the first time around or is there a mod I should install prior to? I've played it many times but never finished it because some of the situations you get put in started stressing me out and I had to start new games up until the same point and just stopped playing all together on the PS3 lol. I have all the DLCs btw. Should I enable all the weapon packs or which ones should I keep?

Stutter remover and mission mojave (bugfixes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom