• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

0oWwhvi.png

ijTL1U5TMkfJ1.gif

Why is facebook owning Oculus now so terrible?

It is entirely speculation at this point, but Facebook likely bought the company to sit on the technology or use it for some proprietary system. Far from the Oculus' original intent.

Sajjaja

Facebook becoming Second Life VR with your RL friends! Calling it now folks!

With Microtransactions.....where you buy mortgages and farm and build houses and shop.......It's going to be Animal Crossing.......Facebook better pay me for this.

0oWwhvi.png

ijTL1U5TMkfJ1.gif

It is entirely speculation at this point, but Facebook likely bought the company to sit on the technology or use it for some proprietary system. Far from the Oculus' original intent.

Yeah, or FB bought it because they think it's going to be the next huge thing in gaming and want to corner the market so all royalties and such come to them...

Until there's some proof of FB doing bad shit with it, I think the reactions here might be a bit overboard.

I really don't believe there's any chance that Facebook will sit on the tech. VR/AR is the future and Facebook knows that (they wouldn't have bought the thing for 2 billion dollars otherwise).

I don't even believe they'll take OR that far from its original intent. At least from Mark Zuckenberg's post it seems like he has followed thing for a while and he wants to see it becoming a big thing. And I also don't believe OR would've sold themselves without making clear their intentions and getting it in the contract somehow.

I can't believe I'm defending Facebook though, lol.

But we'll see how it goes. Will certainly be interesting.

Salsa

I give it a year till Valve announce they retract the "we're gonna support Oculus instead of building our own headset" statement and come out with their own thing that is (allegedly by those who've seen it) way above Oculus' current quality.

Knurek

Anyone else from EU having trouble with using client? Doesn't want to login for me, after an hour it might time out and ask for logging into offline mode...

wth, volvo?

So with Facebook buying out Oculus Rift, does anyone think that Valve may decide to turn their VR R&D into a consumer product?

Edit; I should have read the previous posts before asking. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, or FB bought it because they think it's going to be the next huge thing in gaming and want to corner the market so all royalties and such come to them...

Until there's some proof of FB doing bad shit with it, I think the reactions here might be a bit overboard.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

This sounds pretty terrible to me, honestly, and worthy of my ire.

Slow movement and slow attack is actually a pretty typical pairing. I mean yeah, obviously if you're putting it like that it sounds awful, but that's just looking at the downsides. What you're actually saying is you have high defensive stats/poise from your armor and your attacks hit really hard. If you have a slow weapon the poise is essential so that you don't get your attacks interrupted, and obviously since you're planning on taking hits the defensive stats are needed as well.

Having said that, fast rolling is the most enjoyable way to play. Having medium or heavy armor gives you a lot more room for error so it's natural to gravitate toward that when you're new, but heavy armor can trivialize a lot of encounters (as in, you just stand there and hit the boss and let him hit you) and suck the fun out of them. But yes, you should avoid fat rolling. Endurance is a very important stat that you should be prioritizing anyway so with Havel's Ring and high endurance you can probably mid-roll with whatever heavy armor you like (might have to swap out certain pieces for lighter ones or go without a helm/gloves, for example).

Thanks, that helps. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Probably because of how much facebook and the associated business models are destroying gaming. Something like that.

nailed it

That was always OR's intentions too. Why would that part sound any bad? Of course they want to get it outside gaming too, because VR has tons of potential uses.

A company interested in selling you to advertisers picks up a company interested in reality-replicating hardware.

If that doesn't send shivers down your spine...
Touché.

mrgone

The only dim light of hope in all of this is that John Carmack either saves the day by keeping Facebook in line of "What's Right" or talks so much unfiltered shit about the transition that he's let go and ends up working for the competition (or does something else equally cool and interesting).

Khronico

Thanks, that helps. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Full Havel's (minus helmet) is pretty flexible weight wise if you get end to 40 and wear Havel's ring. I was hauling a Zwei and a (Knight's?) Shield and still was able to mid roll.

hmm, whats steamGAFs thoughts on two worlds 2, that bundlestars bundle is looking tempting.

I really enjoyed Two Worlds 2. It's got some serious jank, the voice acting is hilariously awful, and the story is bland, but the gameplay is very fun imo. The magic system is especially awesome. It's also got a ridiculously huge open world if you're into that. Be prepared to die quite a lot in the first few hours, as the difficulty is unerringly brutal in the early game (If I remember correctly, there is no level scaling, so you have to be careful where you travel). Once you start leveling and gaining new abilities, it starts to ease up.

derExperte

That doesn't sound bad and I would not be surprised if Oculus intended to eventually expand beyond games. VR has so much potential and should not be limited to just games.

In the Sony VR threads people talked about other feasible applications beyond gaming all the time. But now it's all about 'oh no but we want games rip OR'.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That doesn't sound bad and I would not be surprised if Oculus intended to eventually expand beyond games. VR has so much potential and should not be limited to just games.

That may be fine for them, but I would probably rather die than visit a doctor using my Facebook© Brand Oculus© Headset.

It sounds like a joke but I'm 100% serious.

I am a very strong proponent of "vote with your wallet". I absolutely cannot stand Facebook, and as a result of this buy-out (regardless of the amount of freedom Facebook gives the Oculus division) I will not be purchasing one as a result.

It is all about the balance. The expectation was something like :

OR 80% games, 20% other stuff.

Now?

FB OR 20% games, 80% other stuff.

Of course we don't really know and that is speculation based on Facebook's business model and how they rely on advertising to ... and I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

The difference with Sony is they will try to do the "other stuff" but make a complete mess of it so by default it'll be used mostly for games. On the other hand, Facebook are very, very good at things that are not gaming (and the NSA must be cheering right now).

Hopefully Valve now steps up, but if not, I'm sure somebody else will like Nvidia or something.

Arthea

hmm, whats steamGAFs thoughts on two worlds 2, that bundlestars bundle is looking tempting.

I feel like I'm repeating this third or forth time lol
Anyway, it's pretty simple, but fun, it works for some people, others hate it. If you like loot and crafting games, you don't wanna miss this one.

I feel like I'm repeating this third or forth time lol
Anyway, it's pretty simple, but fun, it works for some people, others hate it. If you like loot and crafting games, you don't wanna miss this one.
I really enjoyed mixing the spells in that game. I should definitely go back to it again soon.

Not a very quality title, but a definite step up from the first game.

The best thing that could happen is that OVR grows as an independent company and just benefits from Facebook's money, while they get to build their vision (which was always more than just gaming).

The worst I could see is Facebook trying to turn the Rift into a Google Glass competitor.
Then again, seeing how mobile is also on their roadmap, they probably have one in the works anyway.

Either way, I hope this somewhat forces Valve to release their own hardware after all. More competition is always a good thing.

I think that was always part of their long-term goal.

Gordeli

My steam account freezes on log in on every computer and internet i try :( any suggestions? It just freezes and sometimes gets me a connection error

Grief.exe

Here is my main concern, even though business may even continue as usual for the time being, inevitably Facebook is going to want to see a ROI...and that was a massive investment.

Corporate interests may end up winning out, and Facebook's interests do not align with the Oculus' original intent or our desires as gamers.

Salsa

Here is my main concern, even though business may even continue as usual for the time being, inevitably Facebook is going to want to see a ROI...and that was a massive investment.

Corporate interests may end up winning out, and Facebook's interests do not align with the Oculus' original intent or our desires as gamers.

The Oculus Rift had a set purpose, a clear objective, it was one thing and it was gonna be a great thing at that. I liked that.

Facebook is everything. They're gonna tear that shit apart and spread the talent into other VR-related ventures. The worry here is a loss of focus, at least for me.

Anyone else from EU having trouble with using client? Doesn't want to login for me, after an hour it might time out and ask for logging into offline mode...

wth, volvo?

Yeah, it's playing up for me at the moment. It disconnected earlier this evening and then refused to log in after a restart. I went off to play Diablo 3 for an hour or so - no connection issues there, haha - and when I came back the Steam client still didn't want to log in. I think I'm just going to call it a night at this point.

Faabulous

You've played Two Worlds 2 for story? Why would you do that? (><)
What writing has to do with open world games, anyway?

I played it because I love RPG's and I had time to kill. I went kinda blind, didn't know what to expect, just people saying it was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom