• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate the Steam Cloud at the moment.

My MGR save is gone.
Fuck.

Now I'm a few hours back (which can be a lot in this game) and missing who knows how many upgrades and unlocks. >_<

How in the hell did it pull down my save file which never got the chance to update? I deleted all local content -- I'm assuming it didn't take the saves with it, just the game install... and then when I turned on auto-update again, it probably overwrote it.
In this case, Steam Cloud is not anywhere close to PS+ Cloud... :(

Steam's supposed to give you the option of which save to use if the details don't match (last modified, file size, and so on). It can be screwy, though; for example, I was fiddling with Age 2 HD earlier and no matter what I tried I couldn't get Steam to realise that the local files had been modified. If you want to best protect against this in the future, you can back up your local MGR save (located in My Documents\MGR\SaveData) after playing and, if need be, attempt to have Steam use it by forcing a conflict.

As an example, let's say that I want to dive into Dust and don't want to risk Steam Cloud reverting my progress. First, I'd look at the registry to determine what files the game uploads to the cloud and where they're stored (for readability I've excluded the Mac and Linux data):

Code:
Array
(
    [quota] => 9.54 MB (10000000)
    [maxnumfiles] => 48
    [savefiles] => Array
        (
            [0] => Array
                (
                    [root] => WinMyDocuments
                    [path] => SavedGames/DustAET
                    [pattern] => *.sav
                    [platforms] => Array
                        (
                            [1] => Windows
                        )

[recursive] => 1
                )

Given the above, the files I want to make a habit of backing up are all the .sav files in My Documents\SavedGames\DustAET. Fast-forward a bit and the worst has happened: the files stored on Steam Cloud have become corrupt and Steam has overwritten the local files with these useless variants:

2014-01-13_00001p3kkm.jpg

I can get around this by:

1) Exiting Steam
2) Navigating to the above folder, opening the files with a text editor and deleting all the data:

sc_02kdkjd.jpg

3) Deleting the remotecache.vdf file in Steam\userdata\[account id]\[app id]
4) Restarting Steam, at which point, in List View, I'm greeted with an icon informing me that there's a sync conflict:

sc_04crk5d.jpg

5) Attempting to run the game and selecting the option to upload the local files to the cloud, effectively deleting what was previously stored:

sc_05qakwv.jpg

6) And finally, exiting the game, then Steam itself, and overwriting the files I modified earlier with the backups I'd been maintaining. Steam won't detect a conflict since there's practically nothing stored on the cloud, but once I'm in-game my progress will be back:

The_Monk

DayZ
Mmh, maybe a big mistake on my part. I have social anxiety and the idea of speaking over a mic to some stranger is not my idea of fun. And the few times I encountered someone were clear about one thing : I am understood... but I don't understand a lot myself. Accents are the ban of my digital existence. Listening to someone from east Europe trying to speak English was strange. I'm not saying I'm superior, maybe I was pathetic, but yeah, communication is hard in the Russian zombie wasteland.
Problem being... I'm not sold on the game itself. Let's forget accents, shyness etc... I played for some hours, it was nice, but I don't know, it lacks something to make me return to it. The land was almost barren of zombies, and the main occupation was looting houses. Not really fascinating over time. Maybe with a crew the game shines a lot more, but I don't know, it lacks something, a goal maybe ? In this states, apart from looting and shitting bricks each time you see another player, I don't see much.

Thank you for these impressions fellow GAFfer, I would be curious to see what you think about Rust since there's some things that are different such the ability to build you own house. I'm still deciding which of the two to get. Both are early access and there's plenty of time until they get better but I would like to just focus on one of them since these can be a time sink.

I hate the Steam Cloud at the moment.

My MGR save is gone.
Fuck.

Steam's supposed to give you the option of which save to use if the details don't match (last modified, file size, and so on). It can be screwy, though...

GameSave Manager- it's linked on the OP- is the way to go for PC saves especially Steam Clouds saves. It backups saves with one click and you have the ability to restore them simply as well. The database is constantly updated or you can add custom entries.I've been using it for years now.

There was no reason to lose your ACIV files, JaseC or your MGR save corrosivefrost.

JaseC

GameSave Manager- it's linked on the OP- is the way to go for PC saves especially Steam Clouds saves. It backups saves with one click and you have the ability to restore them simply as well. The database is constantly updated or you can add custom entries.I've been using it for years now.

There was no reason to lose your ACIV files, JaseC or your MGR save corrosivefrost.

I'm aware of GSM. I didn't use it because I hadn't had any issues with Uplay in the past, but needless to say I'm far less trusting now. Anyway, it wouldn't negate the hoops that need to jumped through when replacing corrupted Steam Cloud saves that Steam insists on keeping around, but it's certainly handy in general.

Edit: Funnily enough, just about every other anecdote regarding lost Black Flag saves blamed Uplay's cloud support, but for some reason it was disabled at my end (I certainly didn't do it myself -- I don't use Uplay enough to fiddle with the settings) and so it probably would've actually helped in my case.

A problem with cloud saving drove me to the point of insanity when playing Arkham City late last year. For some reason, every time I started the game, it would crash at the save game select screen. At the time I didn't know what it was, but I tried everything; drivers, steam reinstall, windows reinstall, delete/reinstall the game, delete local saves etc. turn off steam cloud saving and nothing worked. It pissed me off no end because I was really into the game. Searched the internet to no avail. None of the answers worked.

After a few days I gave up, did something slightly dubious, got a torrent of the cracked version, to see if I could, at the very least, get to the load game screen. It worked, and in turn, it somehow fixed my steam copy. I lost the save game, but I had my sanity, I could play my steam version of the game again. Deleted the cracked version and carried on. It's strange, even deleting the save game from my steam version didn't have any effect. It always crashed.

So, yeah, I got screwed over because my cloud save got corrupted. Every time it went to get the save, it ended up crashing my game. Even deleting my save and turning off the cloud save option had no effect. Still, great game though.

Terra_Ex

Not sure if it's already been posted but Groupees have now added Steam keys for War of the Human Tanks. (Let's build a doujin bundle specifically)

Caerith

A problem with cloud saving drove me to the point of insanity when playing Arkham City late last year. For some reason, every time I started the game, it would crash at the save game select screen. At the time I didn't know what it was, but I tried everything; drivers, steam reinstall, windows reinstall, delete/reinstall the game, delete local saves etc. turn off steam cloud saving and nothing worked. It pissed me off no end because I was really into the game. Searched the internet to no avail. None of the answers worked.

After a few days I gave up, did something slightly dubious, got a torrent of the cracked version, to see if I could, at the very least, get to the load game screen. It worked, and in turn, it somehow fixed my steam copy. I lost the save game, but I had my sanity, I could play my steam version of the game again. Deleted the cracked version and carried on. It's strange, even deleting the save game from my steam version didn't have any effect. It always crashed.

So, yeah, I got screwed over because my cloud save got corrupted. Every time it went to get the save, it ended up crashing my game. Even deleting my save and turning off the cloud save option had no effect. Still, great game though.
Arkham City is the shining example of how not to manage save files. I lost mine for ~6 months because of GFWL.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it's already been posted but Groupees have now added Steam keys for War of the Human Tanks. (Let's build a doujin bundle specifically)
I checked it yesterday, and turns out I didn't grab that game with the bundle. Never mind, I didn't plan on playing it anyway.

I was surprised to see there was a random Steam key I hadn't redeemed in one of the Groupees bundles, though I can't remember which game it was.

JaseC

You might have gotten it in a previous Indie Royale bundle (still no Steam keys there AFAIK).

Ah, I'd completely forgotten that it was part of the Mighty Bundle. Thanks for the reminder.

Edit: Of course I didn't bloody buy it. Just my luck.

FloatOn

welp, I had a good run... today marks the first day of me furthering my education after a long hiatus. video game time is going to be severely diminished from here on out.

for those of you that are in school (and maybe also married, because I am) how do you find time to play games at all?

sorry for the livejournal post guys. I just trust all of you more than the average neogaf user.

Sarcasm

welp, I had a good run... today marks the first day of me furthering my education after a long hiatus. video game time is going to be severely diminished from here on out.

for those of you that are in school (and maybe also married, because I am) how do you find time to play games at all?

sorry for the livejournal post guys. I just trust all of you more than the average neogaf user.

I actually attend college full time, work about 12 hours and married. I still game =) Just have to find your balance.

JaseC

Acccent

see, that's the thing

we don't

seriously: education >>> videogames! (in most cases!) hope you learn many cool things :)

Congrats and good luck.

No college...but full time job + recently married. Luckily, my wife goes to bed about 1.5 hours before during the week, so there is my time. Basically, gaming takes a back seat now..but I still do it when I can.

..makes me wonder why I still buy games I'll never get around to..

I was hoping to be done with Black Flag in time for its release but I don't think that's going to happen.

this scares me, I started AC4 on ps4 (I know shameful to my master race status) but my HD5870 was choking on AC3 and I already know I'm going to get all of the collectables again and it took me like 60hrs in AC3. And I really hated AC3 and I really like what I've played of blackflag so far so it's probably going to take even longer and that's a scary thought.

Copons

Eh, back in the day I basically dropped out university because of my past addiction to WoW. :D
Things didn't turn out all that well, but then again, I blame the economical crisis. :D

JaseC

this scares me, I started AC4 on ps4 (I know shameful to my master race status) but my HD5870 was choking on AC3 and I already know I'm going to get all of the collectables again and it took me like 60hrs in AC3. And I really hated AC3 and I really like what I've played of blackflag so far so it's probably going to take even longer and that's a scary thought.

I wouldn't worry too much as I had to start again after Uplay ate my 96-hour save, plus in addition to collecting everything I also like to clear areas of all guards, loot all bodies, avoid fast travelling in most cases and probably one or two other things that compound to greatly increase my playtime figure.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I wouldn't worry too much as I had to start again after Uplay ate my 96-hour save, plus in addition to collecting everything I also like to clear areas of all guards, loot all bodies, avoid fast travelling in most cases and probably one or two other things that compound to greatly increase my playtime figure.

Huh, wouldn't have pegged you as the obsessive collector type!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You might have gotten it in a previous Indie Royale bundle (still no Steam keys there AFAIK).
Don't think I've ever bought one of those. Nevertheless, I'll check it tonight just in case.

I think I bought this one, because I remember picking up a bundle with Eversion and Shuggy (got it for the latter, but ended up really liking the former; consider this a stealth "Play Eversion, you fools!" kind of post).

Dolor

Full time job, married, with two kids under 5 here. My play time is severely limited, but you just have to prioritize. Basically, I carve out 1-3 hours at the end of each day reserved for "play time" which is when I play games. As long as you prioritize and focus on games that give you the best experience for your time, I find it is a manageable arrangement.

You just have to lower your expectations for how much you will get to play.

Paradox is in the process of returning the retail Cities in Motion 1 subs to their former glory so those affected by this mistake should have their apps back soon.

This one I did buy! Thanks for the heads-up. The bundle also included Sound of the Human Tanks (the game's OST), so I hope people will receive a Steam key for it in addition to the game proper.

That's good to hear! Thanks for the heads-up.

And as for War of the Human tanks, I've just checked my Gamersgate account and found a Steam key there for it (Indiefort Liftoff Bundle)

Dolor

I wouldn't worry too much as I had to start again after Uplay ate my 96-hour save, ...

My dear lord, that is the type of thing that would make me rage-quit gaming for a couple of months (per my last post, a 96 hour save would take me 2+ months to acquire).

Cheers to you for having a good perspective about it.

JaseC

My dear lord, that is the type of thing that would make me rage-quit gaming for a couple of months (per my last post, a 96 hour save would take me 2+ months to acquire).

Cheers to you for having a good perspective about it.

Remember that Simpsons episode where Homer tries to eat the same sandwich for a month or some such and at some point he throws it out because it made him sick, only to immediately change his mind? That was me and Black Flag after the incident. :p Uplay ate my save a second time soon thereafter, but fortunately I'd developed the habit of backing it up and so I only lost a few hours. I haven't had any issues since, though, and am now well ahead of where my original save was.

Xanathus

I was hoping to be done with Black Flag in time for its release but I don't think that's going to happen.

Yeah, I'm pretty amped to try it out.

Nah, not really. It's a decent game but I already played it on the Vita and it's not worth buying twice, even though they fixed all the problems in HD (framerate, resolution, sound quality).

Haven't played it before on the Vita and have no idea how bad/good it is as an AC game, ignoring the technical issues on the Vita version. It's coming out at a good time though because I have almost nothing to play now.

oipic

I'm not studying, but juggling gaming with work and home/family commitments is do-able, somehow. Having (and perhaps even scheduling) down-time from study periods would be a healthy thing, in any case.

During busy work periods it's choosing what to play, in terms of overall long-term time-commitment, that proves to be the tricky bit, and I probably tend to go with more bite-sized gaming rather than huge collectathon time-sinks or whatever.

All the best, RE - enjoy the study, and I hope a happy gaming balance falls into place once you're back in the groove. :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Remember that Simpsons episode where Homer tries to eat the same sandwich for a month or some such and at some point he throws it out because it made him sick, only to immediately change his mind? That was me and Black Flag after the incident. :p Uplay ate my save a second time soon thereafter, but fortunately I'd developed the habit of backing it up and so I only lost a few hours. I haven't had any issues since, though, and am now well ahead of where my original save was.

So good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Haven't played it before on the Vita and have no idea how bad/good it is as an AC game, ignoring the technical issues on the Vita version. It's coming out at a good time though because I have almost nothing to play now.

Yeah, I just wrapped up Metal Gear and it's DLC missions so I'm ready for something new.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Duuuude... Over 200 hours of Assassin's Creed. Not counting all the other games, which you also 100%ed.

Man, that's some serious dedication. And here I was, hating my life after playing 23 hours of AC2.

tumblr_llghc4Ubmq1qh59n0o1_400.gif

JaseC

Duuuude... Over 200 hours of Assassin's Creed. Not counting all the other games, which you also 100%ed.

Man, that's some serious dedication. And here I was, hating my life after playing 23 hours of AC2.

I couldn't let Uplay win. Plus I do love my AssCreed. ;)

Just had my every 2 month annual comcast chat to see wtf they did to my account, new unannounced changes include: 'boost' no longer a thing that you pay extra for it's just there for all tiers now and happens way less even though they were charging me for it forever. And they lowered my speeds from 70+ Mbps that I was getting for 7 months down to 55 due to the recent ipv6 rollout node calibration in my area, fuck off comcast, see you in another 2 months when something else happens.

How can you tell which battles are graded? I only find out once they are over and the score appears.

I'm on the 3rd mission now (or Case #2), and the game is great. Now I'm enjoying it a lot, even thought I'm still pretty bad at it.

You learn during your first playthrough. MGR:R is a very "learn from doing" game.
But the idea would be "if you're not getting graded on it and earning points from it, why bother with the possibility of taking damage/wasting items/etc." You'll earn about the same from doing stealth kills and being undetected... if you're all about combat and just want balls to the wall nonstop action, you can fight everything, but if you're on mission 3 (R02) and you've played for any length, you should've run into a Mastiff already. And those things suck. So when you come to the spot where you can stealth mastiffs instead of fighting them (any of the patrols -- they're not graded), there's no reason to engage 3+ at once when you can pick off 1 at a time, if that makes sense.

Also:
Any forced battle is graded.
Any sub-boss battle is graded.
Any call for backup battle is graded.
Any boss battle is graded.
Any hidden battle is graded.

That should cover most of them. If you see a - in your results, like AAABSS-ABS or whatever, that's a hidden battle or call for backup that you missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom