• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Nice. I need to get back and play some more myself as well as get the level 1 badge at least. Did you use a guide perchance? Can you link it if you did?

There is no guide that I'm aware of, I was tempted once, as I was stuck with
evil ending and one death
, but simply there is no guide yet, and it's good. As the guide would take a lot from this game. I mean why try again and again when you are stuck if you can look?

Jawmuncher

There is no guide that I'm aware of, I was tempted once, as I was stuck with
evil ending and one death
, but simply there is no guide yet, and it's good. As the guide would take a lot from this game. I mean why try again and again when you are stuck if you can look?

I play games very differently from people.
For me using a guide to see the whole game doesn't take away from my enjoyment at all.
True in most cases I would play without one but LLTQ seems to have so many branching paths I don't think I could handle doing it all myself. Especially because of the classes on top of it.

So...anyone excited AC:L:HD?

*raises hand*

I played through the game on Vita and it felt like more of an AC game than AC2 did.
Keep in mind, I've only finished AC and AC2 and haven't played Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, or 4.

(1) I think they ditched the multi, which is good, because that was some sort of ill-conceived dumpster fire (which had associated trophies too).
(2) Hopefully they fixed some of the bugs that remained in the Vita version even after the patch for the save destroying glitch. Things like having the game go to a black screen when you bought certain wardrobe change locations and having to save and reload to fix it and record your purchase.

Overall, I had fun with it. The New Orleans setting seemed like a good choice, the mix of gameplay between bayou and town was nicely balanced, and the use of the wardrobe changes for some of the early assassinations was great and felt more in line with AC over AC2 where your actions had purpose and it felt like you were setting up the assassinations with what you were doing rather than playing GTA: Renaissance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I played through the game on Vita and it felt like more of an AC game than AC2 did.
Keep in mind, I've only finished AC and AC2 and haven't played Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, or 4.

(1) I think they ditched the multi, which is good, because that was some sort of ill-conceived dumpster fire (which had associated trophies too).
(2) Hopefully they fixed some of the bugs that remained in the Vita version even after the patch for the save destroying glitch. Things like having the game go to a black screen when you bought certain wardrobe change locations and having to save and reload to fix it and record your purchase.

Overall, I had fun with it. The New Orleans setting seemed like a good choice, the mix of gameplay between bayou and town was nicely balanced, and the use of the wardrobe changes for some of the early assassinations was great and felt more in line with AC over AC2 where your actions had purpose and it felt like you were setting up the assassinations with what you were doing rather than playing GTA: Renaissance.

As one of the five oddballs who prefer the original AssCreed over later instalments, this news pleases me greatly.

Jawmuncher

I'll say it right now.
If Ubi offers a female lead in a mainline AC game i'll buy it day 1.
I thought we had almost had one considering Revelations had that video with Ezio and the Girl.......Sound like a loon rambling. I'm sure JaseC or some other AC fan knows what i'm talking about.

JaseC

I'll say it right now.
I thought we had almost had one considering Revelations had that video with Ezio and the Girl.......Sound like a loon rambling. I'm sure JaseC or some other AC fan knows what i'm talking about.

Embers? Truth be told I haven't watched it. I probably should, haha.

Anteater

Did they improve the combat much for the ass creed games? I actually liked the first few hours of ac2 but eventually I just find it a bit boring and it felt like copy/paste.

I'll say it right now.

Real AC fans play AC for the Abstergo/Sci-Fi Story and not for Ezio/Altair and co.

Somebody said that to me. I couldnt stop laughing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As one of the five oddballs who prefer the original AssCreed over later instalments, this news pleases me greatly.

Count me among those 5 as well. The first game was really well done and a lot of work obviously went into make it an "Assassin Simulator". Some people think it got too boring and repetitive, with not enough action. And apparently Ubisoft agreed with them.

But if you approach it in a similar way as any other simulator game, I found it to be quite enjoyable. Every game in the series after the first has been too action-stealth oriented for my tastes.

Jawmuncher

Funny, it's the same reason I want to play Remember Me at some point, despite the mixed reviews. Feel kind of obligated, somehow.

The female lead in Remember Me was the main reason I bought it day 1. Had it been a dude I would have waited for the Holiday Steam Sale. We just don't get enough Female Leads period so I have to take what I can get.

Embers? Truth be told I haven't watched it. I probably should, haha.

Yeah that's it. I never watched it either. But I recall reading the jist of it.

Arthea

It's really hard to be excited about AC games. I can see what people like: collectibles, setting and such, but they overdo being boring part. The first game killed my belief in this franchise.

JaseC

Nidhogg will have a two-pack.

Count me among those 5 as well. The first game was really well done and a lot of work obviously went into make it an "Assassin Simulator". Some people think it got too boring and repetitive, with not enough action. And apparently Ubisoft agreed with them.

But if you approach it in a similar way as any other simulator game, I found it to be quite enjoyable. Every game in the series after the first has been too action-stealth oriented for my tastes.

Ubi has an unfortunate habit of responding to game design criticism by moving too far in the opposite direction. Another example would be the complete removal of respawning outposts in Far Cry 3, although such concerns were assuaged to some degree with a patch that added the option to repopulate them.

I'll say it right now.

The butts at Ubisoft completely wasted Shao Jun on that short :(

Terra_Ex

I was playing Ass Creed 4 over Xmas but got bored partway through it, despite being a full year since I suffered through number 3, it still felt too soon to be playing the same thing yet again. Even the ship combat got tedious pretty fast and the Assassins vs Templar stuff is literally shoved in there "just because" and feels out of place. Also the first person Abstergo sections are the worst real world implementation yet, hopefully I won't have any more of those forced on me when I return to the game.

It was stupid, in AC, that some of the pre-assassination missions had research like "help me find these 8 flags in 30 seconds".

But the multiple approaches and how you assassinate the contracts... that felt great.

Something felt off to me in the sequel. I liked the game, I 100% it twice... but I don't like it more than AC in terms of enjoyment/story/fun.

I did like the twist at the end of AC2 but after reading about what happens with that in AC:B and AC:R, I have since lost interest in the overarching story.

Arthea

Could you tell me what you did to the commoners to rebel?

oh that's no easy!
When I was trying for evil path I noticed cruelty popping up, it's like hidden skill or something. You basically have to win a game while fighting and triggering all wars, yup all of them (you can loose the naval one but win in other way, which is really really spoilery to tell), you have to be mean to all commoners, raise taxes, don't send help when asked, don't heal them and be party pooper - no coronation celebration.
But, it can be that there is some simpler way than that I came up to, I remember it being discussed here.

JaseC

It was stupid, in AC, that some of the pre-assassination missions had research like "help me find these 8 flags in 30 seconds".

But the multiple approaches and how you assassinate the contracts... that felt great.

Something felt off to me in the sequel. I liked the game, I 100% it twice... but I don't like it more than AC in terms of enjoyment/story/fun.

I did like the twist at the end of AC2 but after reading about what happens with that in AC:B and AC:R, I have since lost interest in the overarching story.

I rather enjoyed Ezio's arc across the trilogy but the modern-day narrative jumped the shark after Brotherhood. Black Flag's meta nature is rather humorous, though (you're an Abstergo employee doing research for entertainment development, with the company's most recent product being... Liberation).

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm late but...

Quick question on CSD: what's the most you've ever had to pay for a ClickNStart? I've seen 1.5k, 2k, and 3k, and am starting to think I'll need to set more money aside for these.
2.5k was the money for the super toilets I think, and couldn't afford it, so I went in for 500 and the kickstarter failed. fucking kickstarter

but I just bought a better dishwasher for 1.5k which is great methinks.

Ever equip Mara and enter the Velvet Room?
lol, I didn't play the portable version

Most definitely this; Star Ocean, Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Profile etc. were never quite the same on the PS2. I still loved the genre, but those PS1 JRPG's were something special. As for Valkyrie Profile, I loved the battle system in Silmeria, preferring it to the first game. However, VP2 didn't really come that close to matching the atmosphere, soundtrack and visuals and story in VP1.

You'll probably have a similar experience with Xenosaga. It won't live up to the ambition and scale of Xenogears, but they're pretty good games. XSIII holds up incredibly well and is the true gem of the series. It's such a shame it took them three games to get it right. By that time, the series was dead in the water.
yea pretty much

this kind of got me excited to play xenosaga. I may boot it up one of these days. mechas and nietzsche, how can it go wrong

Volimar

Cheap as chips in Russia (~$7.20 for a single copy or ~$11.10 for a two-pack). If the week-long deals don't drain my budget I should be able to sort one out later for $11.50 or perhaps $12 (to be clear I don't profit from the packs I arrange on here).

"Cheap as chips in Russia" is going to be my new saying.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Whenever I see this game up for sale:

header_292x136.jpg

I read Jet Set Radio Future and get all like, fuck this shit.

Arthea

yea pretty much

this kind of got me excited to play xenosaga. I may boot it up one of these days. mechas and nietzsche, how can it go wrong

Oh, you have no idea!
in fact I have no problems with story itself, even if it's special (><)
It's just not that fun to play, especially second part.
I prefer Xenogears, I prefer SNES and PS1 era JRPGs too. There were some good ones on PS2, but not in amounts that gen before.

Anteater

Oh, you have no idea!
in fact I have no problems with story itself, even if it's special (><)
It's just not that fun to play, especially second part.
I prefer Xenogears, I prefer SNES and PS1 era JRPGs too. There were some good ones on PS2, but not in amounts that gen before.

i thought xenosaga's story and lore was actually more thought out and planned than gears, but of course none of it matters because someone decided to butcher all of it with ep2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom