• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Wow, that Amazon sale. It's like they regret the whole thing and are trying to fire hose us away from the site now.

Dr Dogg

Sure, and another grand on the Titan. Nearly $4000 for everything else still seems excessive.

It's kinda odd they're offering Titans in these things when a 780Ti trumps it and costs less.

Hahah that's the thing though. Some people want excess just for the status of owning it. Some pc configs people put together are overkill.

Regards to a Titan while it does get a overshadowed by a 780ti and lefts waaaay behind in sli (even my 780 has better clocks than a Titan) it still has 6gb of VRAM and going forward with 4k on the horizon you never know. Saying that monkeying around with extreme downsampling I'm not finding too much strain at 3gb outside of BF4 or ACIV at 4800x2700. Then again I got about 5fps so it's bloody unplayable.

It would still be unavailable if the site is under heavy load.

Oh, I know. I just meant in general, not for Nito's 35 keys. :)

I still have 14 to put in later, website redemption would streamline it for me.

Wow, that Amazon sale. It's like they regret the whole thing and are trying to fire hose us away from the site now.

#TRUTHFACTS

I'm just waiting for Brothers. For $3 it's a must.

After playing it, I'm inclined to disagree.

I just finished The Swapper as well. I really enjoyed it. The puzzles were well put together, and the ruleset was a joy to play with. Great soundtrack too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I really appreciate the offer and thank you, but they are yours! I wouldn't do that to you.

I have them repeated (Got em in bundles)
Anyhow when Im done redeeming stuff I shall give em away in here fair and square to the gaffers. :p

I just finished The Swapper as well. I really enjoyed it. The puzzles were well put together, and the ruleset was a joy to play with. Great soundtrack too.

I'm still playing it and crafted batch already, simply love it.
please pm me full unlocked map. i like to see my progress so far.

Hahah that's the thing though. Some people want excess just for the status of owning it. Some pc configs people put together are overkill.

Regards to a Titan while it does get a overshadowed by a 780ti and lefts waaaay behind in sli (even my 780 has better clocks than a Titan) it still has 6gb of VRAM and going forward with 4k on the horizon you never know. Saying that monkeying around with extreme downsampling I'm not finding too much strain at 3gb outside of BF4 or ACIV at 4800x2700. Then again I got about 5fps so it's bloody unplayable.

I keep forgetting about the prestige angle, and yeah, 6gb of VRAM is a nice plus. Wish I could play around with those kinds of resolutions :(

mrgone

Oh yeah, that'll do :) I'll take a few bean bag rounds to the scalp for that, I guess.

Ended up just grabbing that XCOM pack on Amazon. The old XCOM games still worth playing at all?

The first one's still one of the best strategy games ever made. The second one's alright, but developed by a different team that decided the notorious difficulty of the first game didn't go entirely far enough (It was 1995 after all, it took a great deal more concentrated rage to smash a monitor back then). The third (Apocalypse) is almost more of a city/economic sim than anything else, but still really great if that's your thing. XCOM: EU is excellent (when it's not killing your dudes with crazy glitches). The rest, I dunno. Not a bad set for $10.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope some enjoy these games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enclave -- MB-7D719DB48005E5F0 - Taken by Myshkin. 2 entrants total.
The Ship: Complete Pack -- MB-375518351169573F - Taken by SourCinnamon. 2 entrants total.
Blades of Time Limited Edition -- MB-6FC05F3C809F014A - Taken by VikasNarula. 10 entrants total.

t1389062576z1.png

Dr Dogg

I keep forgetting about the prestige angle, and yeah, 6gb of VRAM is a nice plus. Wish I could play around with those kinds of resolutions :(

You'll be surprised what you might have sat in your steam library that you can crank out high reses at little VRAM cost. Gears of War comes in at about 1.2gb VRAM at 4k and is rock solid at 62fps. Enslaved used little VRAM also as well but that crawled down for 40fps. Dead Space 1 & 2 are quite easy going as well.

I'm still playing it and crafted batch already, simply love it.
please pm me full unlocked map. i like to see my progress so far.

I don't think you can zoom all the way out to see everything. You could probably get a good idea from the different sections in this guide I just found (Swapper map spoilers): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149756530

It took me 7 hours which seems to line up with other play times I see, so maybe that's a good indicator.

Finally managed to get into Steam and redeem my dang wallet card. Ducktales, come to me....

Classes just started up again today, so I might not have much time for Steam... pshh, I said that last semester and it didn't happen aside from finals :p

What did everyone think of the Steam Machines that got revealed? (One of my professors is at CES, so jealous)

Something also I like in Rogue Legacy is that the sprite art isn't shitty.

It's not "sticker" style, but at the same time it's not also dirty 8-bit pixel crap a lot of people like to use. It feels like a clean 16-bit sprite. It's a rarity in indie games (the other game I can think of with this great feeling of pixel art is Jamestown).

There's also a lack of clutter in the HUD without missing out important details and it doesn't spam you with unnecessary messages.
Although minimal in its art style, Super House of Dead Ninja's has a good feel to its sprites too.

I also found it to be a much better designed and more enjoyable game than Rogue Legacy.

Could you explain why?

• I didn't care for the "storytelling". The game has no dialogue, no text, no narration. It relies on "gibberish" (maybe it's a language, but the repetition of the "words" makes it seem unlikely) and animation in places, but I found these very limiting. Combined with somewhat predictable and cliche content. Especially at the end which I will not talk about unless further prompted due to heavy spoilers.
  • I found the controls to be more of an annoyance/gimmick/limitation than an enhancement/innovation. There's also some really odd design decisions on some of the puzzles/areas that I just felt were completely out of left field.
  • Any challenge in terms of puzzles came mostly from the controls rather than design, as outlined above.
  • It's extremely short and light on content, which turned out to be a blessing as I just wanted the game to end so I could delete it and move on.

The game has a few cool moments, but I was ultimately bored and did not find myself playing for fun or because it was engaging... I was merely playing to finish what I started and clear it out of my backlog. It runs under 3 hours long even if you do go for all of the side activities required for achievements.

Overall, it's important to note that I am one of those gamers who cares about the core gameplay above all else. If the story is worth telling or interesting/captivating in some way, I can overlook flaws in the gameplay to experience it and enjoy the ride. I'm not one for "games" that are an 'experience". Sometimes I think they're amusing or clever or provide something new and interesting; For example, I have some positive views regarding The Stanley Parable and the commentary it provides on some of the trends in gaming as well as experimentation. It's clever and funny in spots, even if I still hold a grudge against the narrator for that stupid achievement regarding clicking on a door several times. In the end, I felt like Brothers offered nothing to me outside of it's interesting experiment with the controls and how it uses the dual analogs. There were a couple of cool design touches that I felt were really cool even if it was sort of... predictable (one brother picks up a cat and pets it and it's happy while the other picks it up and it squirms and tries to scratch him, etc.).

I suppose you could spend $3 on worse. But you won't know until you play it, I suppose. Personally, I'd rather put that $3 toward something on my wishlist I might enjoy more.

Sajjaja

With Free-for-all giveaways, can you enter them all in one message, or do you have to go one by one?

Too lazy to get modbot faq. I just want to ask stuff.

mrgone

argh. xbox360ce (that xinput wrapper) isn't working on Risk of Rain

The Neo Geo pad's not working by default? Shit, I figured it would - my PS2 pad didn't need any kind of wrapper, so I figured it'd accept any pad windows could see as a game controller. Worst case there's always joy2key, I guess :(

wilflare

The Neo Geo pad's not working by default? Shit, I figured it would - my PS2 pad didn't need any kind of wrapper, so I figured it'd accept any pad windows could see as a game controller. Worst case there's always joy2key, I guess :(

it works but you need to remap it. despite using xbox360ce, RoR does not detect the neogeo pad as a 360 controller and requires custom mappings... which really messes up the actual 360 controller settings

You'll be surprised what you might have sat in your steam library that you can crank out high reses at little VRAM cost. Gears of War comes in at about 1.2gb VRAM at 4k and is rock solid at 62fps. Enslaved used little VRAM also as well but that crawled down for 40fps. Dead Space 1 & 2 are quite easy going as well.

I did manage to play through Bioshock 2 at 1440 but my poor old 6850 would choke on anything much newer than that. Been holding out for 20nm but seeing as that might still be a year away I might have to bite the bullet and get something more modern now. Maybe I should get a steambox :p

mrgone

it works but you need to remap it. despite using xbox360ce, RoR does not detect the neogeo pad as a 360 controller and requires custom mappings... which really messes up the actual 360 controller settings

Ahh.. hmm, did you try it without the wrapper? I had to bind all the buttons manually with the dinput controller too, but you'd probably have to do that anyways with the different button layout on the Neo Geo pad

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For anyone interested, I just updated Enhanced Steam Standalone.

The newest version has a much easier install process:

1. Download Enhanced Steam Standalone
  2. Run enable.bat (as administrator)
  3. Launch Enhanced Steam.exe
  4. Browse Steam

Steam Machine initiative seems unfocused, haphazard. I don't think Valve really knows what they're doing besides making the OS/controller.

4. Browse Steam

You're doing the lord's work, jshackles.

Haunted

4. Browse Steam
Now that's easy enough even I can do it.

Does the Enhanced Steam.exe process need to be running while I'm using it or is it a one-time activation thing?

frogg609

I still cannot seem to purchase the Deus Ex HR Director's Cut for 5.00, even though I have HR and the Missing Link in my Steam Library. Every time I try to add it, it comes up as 19.99. Is that deal just done now?

Jørdan

I still cannot seem to purchase the Deus Ex HR Director's Cut for 5.00, even though I have HR and the Missing Link in my Steam Library. Every time I try to add it, it comes up as 19.99. Is that deal just done now?

I'm getting full retail too, not sure if it's expired or it hasn't been corrected after the sale.

Bundle Stars has some interesting bundles. Sure tons of garbage but there are a few gems here and there.

Ooh, I like the flipcard thing they have going on.

In the end I am just happy that the "PC" is finally being marketed and sold attractively as these "Steam" machines. For normal people buying a "PC" is always so limited and boring, not to mention bogged down with a ton of bloatware.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Now that's easy enough even I can do it.

Does the Enhanced Steam.exe process need to be running while I'm using it or is it a one-time activation thing?

Once you get a successful confirmation (it will say "Enhanced!") you can close the launcher. For now, you'll need to run it each time you restart. Just the launcher though, not the batch file.

Jørdan;96150031 said:
Neat, I'm using XP so I'm shit outta luck though.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom