• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesius

Damn you Steam!!! I thought I was done after buying the Doom Pack and Oblivion: GOTY, but now you tempt me with Fallout 3 as well?

Do you guys really think it will drop further in price for the holiday sale? I've got a decent sized backlog, and I can definitely afford to wait.

rhfb said:
Was hoping that Fallout would go on sale. Price is still to high for me though. A 75% off sale was what I wanted (and is what I'll probably get this holiday sale)

Yeah, there will probably be a good Fallout 3 GOTY deal during the Xmas sale, since New Vegas will be out by then.

Chris R

BobJustBob said:
Yeah, there will probably be a good Fallout 3 GOTY deal during the Xmas sale, since New Vegas will be out by then.
Totally forgot about that, but that makes the sale even more likely. Sweet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
LocoMrPollock said:
Anyone want a copy of Speedball 2?
yes?
Didn't even know this existed. Loved the real speedball 2, this got middling reviews by the look of it though.

mrgone

It'll be like, lets say you can hold 80 gigs in your head. Then you get a job that requires 320 gigs! In your head!

JOHNNYM331.jpg

RAGE!

Shambles

~Kinggi~ said:
Jesus tapdancing christ, just spent hours trying to successfully mod Oblivion using the Steam version. I had no idea there were problems with mods and the steam system.

Here are some hot tips for people looking to mod.

Use OBMM and the OMOD versions of mods. This updates the timestamps on files when the are installed and decompressed, and seems to enable UI mods that would have otherwise been ignored if you simply copied the files into the oblivion folder. Texture replacements need this too.

Also, mods that use OBSE (script extender) like enhanced economy, need the 'Use Steam Community In-Game' option enabled from the steam settings. If this isnt checked the mods wont work.

I've been spending the last day trying to figure out the mods for Oblivion as well and it's pretty damn complicated. There's a lot of threads but a lot of it is also out of date and the only sites for mod downloads seem to be those garbage sites that force you to register on some file sharing domain. I've installed OBMM, OBSE, BOSS, and am just trying to make sure the unofficial patches are installed and working. Apparently there's a wrym bash as well that also somehow might be needed, hell if I know what all these things do. I think I installed Qarls texture pack but even then i'm not sure. In game the textures still only give me the small, medium and large options.

Ledsen

Shambles said:
I've been spending the last day trying to figure out the mods for Oblivion as well and it's pretty damn complicated. There's a lot of threads but a lot of it is also out of date and the only sites for mod downloads seem to be those garbage sites that force you to register on some file sharing domain. I've installed OBMM, OBSE, BOSS, and am just trying to make sure the unofficial patches are installed and working. Apparently there's a wrym bash as well that also somehow might be needed, hell if I know what all these things do. I think I installed Qarls texture pack but even then i'm not sure. In game the textures still only give me the small, medium and large options.

The only sites you need for DL:ing mods are TESnexus and Planet Elder Scrolls, and they are both very far from "garbage". You should use Oblivion Mod Manager or Wrye Bash for installing mods, simply chucking them in your Oblivion folder will make things VERY complicated if you ever want to uninstall something. When using the Steam version there are a few things you need to know:

- You need to install Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) slightly differently, just read the readme.
- The .bsa (Oblivion - textures.bsa, sound etc) files in the Steam version have a "last changed" date somewhere in 2010, this will cause problems when you install texture mods. Use a program like File Date Changer to change the dates on all those files back to 2006 or so.

As for mods in general, this is what you need to know:

- For installing mods, use OBMM or Wrye Bash. OBMM uses a special format called .omod (many mods can be downloaded in this format, or you can create your own omods easily). Wrye Bash can install mods from .zip files, but only if the .zip file has a somewhat correct file structure. Wrye Bash is much more powerful when it comes to uninstalling mods and managing identical files in different mods, but it's also more complicated to use. I personally use OBMM which often means that when I update or remove a mod, I will also have to re-install several others. This doesn't really bother me since the process is very smooth in OBMM.

- Download Oblivion Script Extender and install it, many mods require it.

- Download Better Oblivion Sorting Software (BOSS). Running this will automatically put your mods in the correct "load order" (mods load in a specific order, and last loaded takes precedence).

- After installing all your mods, open OBMM -> Utilities -> Archive Invalidation, press "update now". If you don't, any texture mods you have installed likely won't work. This process used to be quite complicated, now it's as easy as pressing a button :)

- After installing all your mods, you might need to build a "Bashed Patch" in Wrye Bash. This is a file that consolidates changes from many mods into one file, so that they will not overwrite each other but instead work together. If you need to do this, it says so in a mods readme. If you want to know how, check the Wrye Bash readme or ask on the forums.

That's basically it. Also, always, ALWAYS read the readme for all you mods. If you need help, go to the official forums -> Oblivion -> Mods. The board is extremely active and will help you with any questions you might have.

Some other awesome sites you should check out:

http://tesivpositive.animolious.com/ - basically a guide to everything you need to know about modding.

http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/ - Home of OOO and a nice guide to texture replacers (Texture Overhaul).

I don't even know why I bought Oblivion, well I do, it was cheap. All the mods in the world won't make the game enjoyable for me, I should just stick to avoiding Bethesda's games.

Shambles

Ledsen said:

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if it always was like this but TES requires you to register for any files over 2MB and often has broken pages/links when you attempt to access the files tab for their mods. PES (Which appears to be owned by IGN, not sure if that was always the case) requires you to pay for a registered account with file planet (also owned by IGN) for any of their files.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Shambles said:
Thanks for the help.

I don't know if it always was like this but TES requires you to register for any files over 2MB and often has broken pages/links when you attempt to access the files tab for their mods. PES (Which appears to be owned by IGN, not sure if that was always the case) requires you to pay for a registered account with file planet (also owned by IGN) for any of their files.
This about stopped me in my tracks. Don't feel like registering for a new site right now.

I'll probably just install a few of the basic texture packs and then go play the mostly vanilla game, and if I have any issues THEN I'll fix them.

K.Jack said:
Saving up for a new notebook, I almost want to wait for the system reqs of this to come out.

Well its a 60fps console game with very little dynamic lighting/shadows and a very low shading cost (due to the way Mega Texture works), I'm hardly expecting it to be super demanding (at least if you ignore the highest settings). I wouldn't be surprised if first generation Ontario netbooks will be able to take a decent stab at it especially since id are bound to optimise the PC version better than anyone else ever would.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
brain_stew said:
Well its a 60fps console game with very little dynamic lighting/shadows and a very low shading cost (due to the way Mega Texture works), I'm hardly expecting it to be super demanding (at least if you ignore the highest settings). I wouldn't be surprised if first generation Ontario netbooks will be able to take a decent stab at it especially since id are bound to optimise the PC version better than anyone else ever would.
I have a target, which is the highest settings. My timeline is also pretty set, based on the upcoming GPU releases.

Since mobile GF106 (GTX 460M) is about the desktop 5770, while GF108 (GT 445M) is as fast as a desktop 9800 GT, I'm definitely waiting for mobile GF104. The GTX 460 goes mobile in Q4 or Q1 of 2011, then ATI's mobile 6000 is soon after, all coinciding with Intel's mobile Sandy Bridge.

So I'm pretty content with waiting until the dust clears in early Q2.

Archie said:
Do the SP campaigns for Q1 and Q2 still hold up?

I would argue that they didn't really hold up even when they came out, and that's why Q3 was MP only. :lol

Definitely neither of them is a genius implementation of a now-lost art of arcade-style shooter level design the way Doom and Doom II are.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I tried to DL the Q2 demo and the game crashes any time I try to change the resolution to anything higher than a postage stamp. Oh well, I guess I'll play DOOM some more.

Dynoro

Archie said:
Do the SP campaigns for Q1 and Q2 still hold up?
I play through the Q2 campaign roughly every 6 months or so and I feel it still holds up - but I suspect nostalgia plays a heavy part in my enjoyment

poppabk said:
yes?
Didn't even know this existed. Loved the real speedball 2, this got middling reviews by the look of it though.

The new Speedball 2 game? That was an unbelievable failure. The original Speedball 2 is still fun to play, but this was just a mess. All they needed to do was update the graphics and fix an online mode, and they failed in just about every aspect of the game. If they would just had the original next to them while developing this, they would have been fine. :lol

For the demo of this, I actually had to send my config file to them by mail to get my joypad to work in the game, when there is a perfectly fine controller API already available (my joypad works perfect in all other games).

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm pretty shocked, Quake IV still isn't up on steam? Do they want to forget that game that badly?

I really didn't think it was that bad. Aside from some of the technical issues I had fun with the SP campaign.

I played Quake to death back in the day...I said I wasn't gonna buy anything today unless they had QIV up for download or something but dangit, I love that game too much. :lol

Ledsen

Shambles said:
Thanks for the help.

np. You don't have to pay for FilePlanet, but the free registration option may be a bit hidden. Also I've actually never seen a broken link at TESNexus, and I've downloaded hundreds of mods there.

K.Jack said:
I have a target, which is the highest settings. My timeline is also pretty set, based on the upcoming GPU releases.

Since mobile GF106 (GTX 460M) is about the desktop 5770, while GF108 (GT 445M) is as fast as a desktop 9800 GT, I'm definitely waiting for mobile GF104. The GTX 460 goes mobile in Q4 or Q1 of 2011, then ATI's mobile 6000 is soon after, all coinciding with Intel's mobile Sandy Bridge.

So I'm pretty content with waiting until the dust clears in early Q2.

Huh, for some reason I thought you said new "netbook" hence why I mentioned Ontario

I'm sure even your current notebook will run Rage really well.

Avyrocky said:
Are there any arcade shooters on Steam that are like Super Star Dust HD?

You could try the "shooter" games. They're a bit of an arcade shooter/Diablo mix but quite good fun and cheap. Start with Alien Shooter 2.

Avyrocky

Banned
Geometry Wars looks good. I love playing Super Star Dust when high, however I have sold my PS3 so now need a new alternative.

Installing the Alien Shooter demo now!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Had to pick up the Quake pack today. Don't care what anyone says about the single player campaigns, for mindless killing while listening to music this is still pretty good.

Avyrocky

Banned
brain_stew said:
You could try the "shooter" games. They're a bit of an arcade shooter/Diablo mix but quite good fun and cheap. Start with Alien Shooter 2.

Bought Alien Shooter full game its hella addictive!

Good recommendation!

zombieshavebrains said:
Had to pick up the Quake pack today. Don't care what anyone says about the single player campaigns, for mindless killing while listening to music this is still pretty good.

yeah i keep almost picking it up for the same reason but then i keep remembering that quake live is free and probably has the best community out of all the quake games right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom