• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

Square Enix legal troubles. It turns out the developer was a scammer charging people for his RPG Maker game while touting that Square Enix was involved. Then promptly disappearing into the night with the pre-order monies.

Squeenix confirmed it was a scam about five days after I made a thread about it. Then there was this bump yesterday -- apparently the company that bought the "studio" missed the memo.

It sucks that they did this scam. I wonder how many were tricked by this fraud. Hopefully not many.
And that company that bought the studio, what a miss >.<

Lomax

Would there be anything legal stopping Capcom and Squeenix and similar companies from dropping their SNES classics on Steam via emulator similar to how the Sega Genesis classics are? Or would they just never do that out of worrying about rubbing Nintendo the wrong way?

Anteater

hmm how's the pc version of PoP Sands of Time? Does it support a controller? I think if I end up liking this forgotten sands playthrough I'll pick that up (probably in a few months...).

Would there be anything legal stopping Capcom and Squeenix and similar companies from dropping their SNES classics on Steam via emulator similar to how the Sega Genesis classics are? Or would they just never do that out of worrying about rubbing Nintendo the wrong way?

They've both put out their classics on every platform and platform holder under the sun. At some point, it has to be that one line in a graph is not exceeding another.

And Sega's way of just dumping genesis roms onto steam to be played through their emu is terrible. It's about as lazy as you can get. At least have the decency of doing a Sonic CD style update, making it widescreen compatible and adding every variation of a game into the same package

Dr Dogg

hmm how's the pc version of PoP Sands of Time? Does it support a controller? I think if I end up liking this forgotten sands playthrough I'll pick that up (probably in a few months...).

Via Direct Input yes. It's a bit fiddly to get working with high resolutions and widescreen ones at that but not a massive pain. If you have an Nvidia GPU there's a render bug where the fog effect takes over the screen but as far as I recall is also a simple fix.

I only realised this now but FFT and FF XII share the same world :D
I don't know why that didn't click before..

And Vagrant Story too. Matsuno's games and the world of Ivalice are some of my fav FF moments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivalice

chronomac

From the Mighty No. 9 release date thread:
I got an email last night saying backers will be unable to get retail copies at all. I'm demading a refund, that is just the latest incorrigible thing to happen in this campaign. People backed for $60 to get a physical copy and all they're getting is Comcept's goofy USB sticks in a cardboard box. That's inexcusable.

If you go back and read that $60 tier's details, it mentions:
A classic-style game box (Western- or Japanese-style, your choice), a printed version of the instruction manual (English or Japanese, your choice), and a special Backer-only golden color variation for the game's hero, Beck!

But I understand the frustration.

I got the $20 tier.

If only Vagrant Story didn't devolve into menu-driven equipment changes and an Intelligent Qube clone. I put 2 hours into it before I walked away, completely disappointed. It's got such an excellent story and direction, too, but i couldn't get over how poorly it played.

Since we're talking about SQ classics, last year I went on a journey to finally tackle some of the PSX games in their catalog that I didn't get around to during that era.

Chrono Cross is as fun as watching really colorful paint dry.
Legend of Mana is a real bad Tales clone with a dumb gimmicky world building mechanic and might as well be Side Quest: the Game.

I still have Threads of Fate, Parasite Eve 2, and I also count War of the Lions on that list. Kinda worried they won't hold up, either.

Dsyndrome

I only realised this now but FFT and FF XII share the same world :D
I don't know why that didn't click before..

Lots of tension and political drama in Ivalice. XII remake needs to come out already, I haven't double or triple-dipped that FF yet.
I still have Threads of Fate, Parasite Eve 2, and I also count War of the Lions on that list. Kinda worried they won't hold up, either.
Play Front Mission 3 and blow up sprite-sized mechs.

Anteater

Via Direct Input yes. It's a bit fiddly to get working with high resolutions and widescreen ones at that but not a massive pain. If you have an Nvidia GPU there's a render bug where the fog effect takes over the screen but as far as I recall is also a simple fix.

Thanks. Just looked through pcgamingwiki, sounds like they should be easy fix, might need to look into the controller stuff a bit more, I'll wait for a sale first. Come on ubi.

rtcn63

I don't think I got past the flying fire or something bug boss in FFXII. The single-player MMORPG style really wasn't my thing.

Dr Dogg

From the Mighty No. 9 release date thread:

If you go back and read that $60 tier's details, it mentions:

But I understand the frustration.

I got the $20 tier.

Remember kids the Patron Saint of Twitter is never wrong.
TcJgs0u.png

Tizoc

Remember kids the Patron Saint of Twitter is never wrong.

See there's one problem here:
Keiji Inafune worked on video games long before Kamiya has; as early as Megaman, and he worked on SNES games onward.
Kamiya completely ignored his previous and past work with Capcom, and focuses only on the now.

Lain

If only Vagrant Story didn't devolve into menu-driven equipment changes and an Intelligent Qube clone. I put 2 hours into it before I walked away, completely disappointed. It's got such an excellent story and direction, too, but i couldn't get over how poorly it played.

To this day, it's one of my most loved PS1 games. To me it has some of the best tactical gameplay in any game with the weapons and armor affinities, the chaining, the skills and magics, the ability to decide on which body part to hit the enemy.
Turning around a bad situation thanks to high risk chains or getting into a workshop to try to create the best weapons and armors with the affinities I wanted was some of the most fun I've ever had. Then there was the story, the music, the characters, the atmosphere and I dare say the graphics as well. I still consider it the most beautiful 3D PS1 game.

I'm still disappointed the game never received a sequel, given the ending cinematic it had. I'd kill for a good HD remake of Vagrant Story.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
heads up bitches, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered is 50% off on GMG, plus the usual vouchers and whatnot

Dr Dogg

Keiji Inafune worked on video games long before Kamiya has; as early as Megaman, and he worked on SNES games onward.
Kamiya completely ignored his previous and past work with Capcom, and focuses only on the now.

There's no problems or bad blood between the two...
Just Kamiya said he's more business focused than creation which is where he's at these days.

Dsyndrome

never played that either. I'll wait till it's on sale on the PS Store to pick it up. I've always been interested in that series, tbh.

Does it require that I know about the events of FM and FM2 or is each game its own thing?

Each game's it's own thing. FM3 was the first one to make it to NA, taking a more tactical RPG approach like Tactics compared to its predecessors. I never played the ones after that, so I can't speak to their quality, but FM3 is excellent.
There's no problems or bad blood between the two...

Just Kamiya said he's more business focused than creation which is where he's at these days.
Kamiya's got Sweet Fuse: At Your Side just so he can call Inafune uncle.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Each game's it's own thing. FM3 was the first one to make it to NA, taking a more tactical RPG approach like Tactics compared to its predecessors. I never played the ones after that, so I can't speak to their quality, but FM3 is excellent.

Well, i keep an eye out for it. thanks!

How many E3 conferences do we have now? :/

I'd rather we have too many than what we've had for the last handful of years, which is too few. Especially these days, where we're at an all time low in regards to AAA development and announcements and publishers seem to be as apprehensive as ever about taking risks. the hope is that this explosion of E3 conferences is a sign of a healthier and more confident industry, one that has had some time to work with the current gen consoles and isn't throwing out remasters and ports at a high frequency anymore because the sales of those machines has proven that there is a market for new games.

ExoSoul

Banned

To be fair the question is open for that interpretation.

Dr Dogg

It's all right folks, what ever gets announced at this years' E3 to be released later this year or in 2016 will be delayed until 2016 and 2017. Plenty of time to ramp up those marketing campaigns and get those preorders in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom