• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
I really don't get the "It's a Souls clone" people say about Ni Oh. Seems to borrow more from Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden than Souls. Imo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really don't get the "It's a Souls clone" people say about Ni Oh. Seems to borrow more from Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden than Souls. Imo.

just from 10 seconds of that steam it looked like a Souls game. same UI, same movement, same lock on, same death message

Jawmuncher

Im seeing Onimusha due to the setting and such. But not seeing ninja gaiden at all watching this stream. He isn't doing anything even comparable to those games.

Rafy

I missed the rocket league deal and I am pissed. Steam would not add it to my cart while there were still 15 minutes left... I was gonna pay with card money + paypal and now I have to wait till the summer sale to get it. I was selling cards all weekend to be able to afford it and then steam glitched on me!

zkylon

zkylewd
From was at the top of their art-design game, this is the prettiest souls game yet! The enemies and locations are very memorable IMO.
i think the game looks gorgeous, but i just have a lot more fondness for the locations in 2 and 1. like dks2 had some really shitty dungeons but the alva mansion and the copse and the shrine of amana and majula and the dragon aerie and the rainy castle place, idk, i thought the variety of the locations was really impressive and they just looked super imposing and colorful and whatnot. not all of those are like anor londo quality but i didn't find that many areas in dks3 that got the same response from me like shrine of amana did (in both the good and the bad lol)

none of these games have bad art design by any means, but compared with each other i feel like dks3 didn't manage to amaze me as much as dks2 or dks1 did. i still have a bit more to go so there's a chance for it to go out with a bang

I don't understand why people want a non-linear world anyway. What do you get out of it? I'd rather each zone be better designed than be constrained by having to be more connected

especially when you put it as a negative. it's just a different way to make a game.
for me it hurts the replayability a whole lot cos i like taking different routes and beating bosses out of order and leveraging my late game knowledge to get strong weapons early and all of that.

also it just feels like a downgrade, dark souls 1 had fantastic level design, an interconnected world that allowed for a very non-linear style of game

demons souls wasn't interconnected, but it was even more non-linear, and also had the nexus as an ever changing hub

compared to dks3 which is a straight line with a boring nexus i'd say it's a big negative

Balthuk

Currently playing Rocket League and Mad Max with a few breaks playing Planescape Torment. My oh my, I'm having some of the best time playing games I've had for a long long time.
Thanks to the people that posted their opinions on mad max and beautiful screenshots, glad I decided to buy the humble monthly.
That's all, just wanted to say thanks, I'm going onto the wasteland again.
--
If you fancy some videos/podcasts I recently discovered the Final Games Podcast
Final Games is a podcast about the games that inspired us. Host, Liam Edwards is joined by various different game developers, game journalists and industry veterans to talk about the games that they'd choose to play for the rest of their lives.

Liam's guests are stranded in a hypothetical deserted place and can only choose eight games to play for the rest of their lives, what do they choose and why? Why are these games so important to our guests? What about these games inspired them to work in the industry or help them on the path to where they are today!
and the 3-part video on overwatch by danny O'Dwyer for gamespot. Check those out if they sound interesting.

Anno

I'm slowly becoming less shit at Dark Souls. Mostly because I find the combat fun so I just run around and fight random enemies trying out new stuff. The first black knight guy especially I fought probably fifty times in a day. Consequently I'm 20 hours in and have killed I think four bosses lol.

I really like any enemy that has your same general move set rather than weird monsters. Maybe I'll hop into the PvP stuff after a bit longer.

Buraindo

all the souls games have problems

dks3:
- barely any dialogue for "nexus" characters
- again less memorable new characters/world

This makes me think that like me and others I know, you missed most of the NPC related content. It's really easy to mess up quests and encounters this time around. I agree with the rest (except for the world bit) and as a negative to 3 I'd add redundant covenants and lack of PvE oriented ones. 2 did that better than the others, I think.

This makes me think that like me and others I know, you missed most of the NPC related content. It's really easy to mess up quests and encounters this time around. I agree with the rest (except for the world bit) and as a negative to 3 I'd add redundant covenants and lack of PvE oriented ones. 2 did that better than the others, I think.
Yup, there are some of the best characters and questlines which can get missed/locked out easily.

MUnited83

For you.
Im seeing Onimusha due to the setting and such. But not seeing ninja gaiden at all watching this stream. He isn't doing anything even comparable to those games.

Taking my cues from trailers and gameplay they released before. There were definitely some Ninja gaiden-esque flashy jumps and dodges here and there. Dunno, seems to play more like most of Samurai type games I remember than it does play like Souls.

Jawmuncher

Taking my cues from trailers and gameplay they released before. There were definitely some Ninja gaiden-esque flashy jumps and dodges here and there. Dunno, seems to play more like most of Samurai type games I remember than it does play like Souls.

You should take a look at this.
https://www.twitch.tv/gtamatte

About the only thing is that the game does have actual combos. So the flashy moves you saw are that.
So I guess I can understand that being there slightly. It's definitely going for souls while offering it's own thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've missed some of them (namely y
uria
), but i've done most of the rest to some point (
siegward, patches, sirris, anri, irina and her creepy dragonface friend
)

it's better than 2, sorta, but it's nowhere near 1 or demons

this sounds super useful, thanks

lots of different weapon skills to learn in Nioh that are tied to the "stance" or "sheathed" weapon (at least as far as Katanas go)...low, mid, high stance and sheathed...low uses the least stamina per hit and high the most...you can watch little preview videos of the skills and such before buying them

looks pretty good to me so far

Tizoc

yay Paint it Back is on sale... 25% off FU >_>

Oh I'm sorry do you want me to GIFT it to you? :V
Game is addictive mate and well worth the price.
Take it from someone who is gonna switch Steam to offline mode and play it for the next 3 hours...

Gamers nowadays are all about the now, they foolishly chose to neglect the past.
Buncha skateboard breakdancing, lawn stomping, cheevo bragging whippersnappers....

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You literally die and lose souls in Ni-oh and start back at a bonfire.

just like Ninja Gaiden

edit: by the way someone was talking about not being able to gift all 4 copies of a 4 pack for Rocket League, Bundle Stars has the 4 pack on sale, and on bundlestars its 4 individual keys one imagines?

Jawmuncher

Guardians of Orion is now The Orion Project

Welcome To The Orion Project!
APRIL 25 - DAVID PRASSEL
We have some BIG news to share! We have recently completely expanded our intentions for this title and renamed it to The Orion Project to reflect this.

We have a 5+ year development schedule in place for The Orion Project and will be regularly updating the game with brand new features and content while retaining what everyone already loves. We will be beginning with new modules such as: First-Person, PvP, Cities with Vendors and NPCs, Mechs and Open Galaxy Gameplay.

( ABOUT THE ORION PROJECT )
The Orion Project will be only $1 and will become the ultimate video game for PC with gameplay consisting of four main modules, including: Social, Exploration, Adventure and Combat.

The Orion Project is a living, breathing and Persistent Universe allowing for you to travel the Galaxy and experience Open World Gameplay like never before! Explore vast Regions each with unique Wildlife and Weather patterns, to Harvest and collect resources, Loot Gear and Level up your Characters while fighting through a variety of Objectives, Missions and Quests.

It's no longer over the top
ss_06a7ba16fdda808bc2b943c8eb77b616c52097b9.600x338.jpg

Hey! Any Borderlands fans out there? Question, should I play any of the Borderlands FPS games before playing Tales from the Borderlands to get the jokes? I've played the first one. Don't really remember anything from it except Claptrap. I have Borderlands 2 but haven't played much of it.

Rhaknar

Guardians of Orion is now The Orion Project

its also not top-down? Looks neat tho

Hey! Any Borderlands fans out there? Question, should I play any of the Borderlands FPS games before playing Tales from the Borderlands to get the jokes? I've played the first one. Don't really remember anything from it except Claptrap. I have Borderlands 2 but haven't played much of it.

not really no. I mean you could since they are good at the very least, but its totally not needed. Hell the character you need to know the most about in theory is Jack (and Athena actually), both from Pre-Sequel which I didnt play, and I had no problem understanding Tales

Jawmuncher

You really don't need to have played the games to enjoy Tales. I knew very little of 2 and absolutely enjoyed it.

zkylon

zkylewd

not a boredlands fan but tales is a great game regardless of you playing the shooters

there's characters from the shooters but the story and the humor is totally self contained

go for it, tales from the boredlands is a wonderful one-of-those

I don't understand why people want a non-linear world anyway. What do you get out of it? I'd rather each zone be better designed than be constrained by having to be more connected

especially when you put it as a negative. it's just a different way to make a game.

The world connectivity was more important in Dark Souls when you didn't have warping to go wherever you wanted.

I personally loved finding shortcuts that tie back to the home base and different available paths at any given time. Getting rekt in Place A? Ok fine, go ahead and take Path B or C and come back later.

The warping in 2 and 3.....eh. It's easier to get around, but I feel less connected to the world and really don't know how each area is connected once progressing zones.

That being said, the inter-zone design in 3 is reallllly top notch.

The lack of choices in exploration really is my biggest issue with DS3. In the first game and even DS2 you usually had multiple areas to tackle at once. This happens rarely here, and it makes the world feel more linear and smaller than usual. Individual areas themselves are usually intriguing and well designed, though.

its also not top-down? Looks neat tho

not really no. I mean you could since they are good at the very least, but its totally not needed. Hell the character you need to know the most about in theory is Jack (and Athena actually), both from Pre-Sequel which I didnt play, and I had no problem understanding Tales

So if I want to get the most out of it, the Pre-sequel is the one I should play first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom