• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epistory, the typing action rpg, looks neat (GB quicklook)

damn being colorblind must suck for color puzzles ;_;

I played right up to where the Quick Look begins back when it came out and I think it's a really fun time. A bit too easy but it's also the start of the game and I'm expecting it to get more difficult. From what I recall it has adaptive difficulty so perhaps it's still ramping up based on my performance.

I stopped watching the Quick Look early so as to not see stuff I haven't played yet but I was surprised how much they disliked the game's standard controls. They're awkward for a minute or two but then it feels totally fine. I don't believe the game even mentioned that WASD was possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone else having trouble with the discovery queue? Every time I generate a new queue I get one Lionsgate film, then I'm brought back to the queue page where I need to generate another queue. I have like 35 Lionsgate films to go. This is dumb.

Anyone else having trouble with the discovery queue? Every time I generate a new queue I get one Lionsgate film, then I'm brought back to the queue page where I need to generate another queue. I have like 35 Lionsgate films to go. This is dumb.

Just went through it to check for you. No Lionsgate films popped up and I got through the whole list without it resetting or anything. It does continue to give me stuff I have zero interest in that doesn't match up with any of my tastes but oh well.

I feel like the discovery queue requires at least two or three multiplayer survivor games and I've never purchased or played one and I always hit Not Interested on them. Yet it still tries to give me more. Thanks but no thanks.

Thankfully DS3 has the leanest stats so far by trimming all needless fat. That Luck though. Not gonna put thousands of souls into that for
Anri's
Sword alone :/

derExperte

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lumino City -- MB-96EFECC300652ED5 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.

t1461602479z1.png

Only 87% sure the key works.

Buraindo

a stat that actually matters vs a stat that is completely useless

oh boy i do wonder which one is the one less "well designed" ;)

Matters and it's forced upon every character. I'd rather have neither but if I must choose I'll take the one that won't cripple one of the most important aspect of the game from the get go.

But it isn't? At all? I mean, you might have a point in the combat part, and that is by striping out the improvements made in DS2. And movement has really nothing to do with DS1 in the slightest. It borrows much more from DS2 and Bloodborne's system than it does DS1.

I'll be honest and say that I can't quote anything tangible to back up my statement but Dark Souls 2 felt off after playing 1.

Not bad but different enough that it took me a while to get behind 2 and actually see it's strengths.

Just general player controls in 3 all reminded me of 1.

You mention striping out the improvements of Ds2 in terms of combat and as I said above I didn't see 2 as an improvement in that area but that is probably just personal choice.

Jawmuncher

Was just thinking about this. The mobile authenticator must make game buying while traveling a royal fucking pain. With how steam is now, the time abroad I spent would have had no steam purchases with the new system . Unless I called back home to get the stuff. Since apparently taking off the aithenticator is a pain as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just went through it to check for you. No Lionsgate films popped up and I got through the whole list without it resetting or anything. It does continue to give me stuff I have zero interest in that doesn't match up with any of my tastes but oh well.

I feel like the discovery queue requires at least two or three multiplayer survivor games and I've never purchased or played one and I always hit Not Interested on them. Yet it still tries to give me more. Thanks but no thanks.

Ah, yeah, one difference is that I've finished the queue, so I should be getting full queues of Lionsgate movies. I ended up just searching for Lionsgate and Miramax, opening everything from search results in new tabs, and marking not interested in all of them.

MUnited83

For you.
Thankfully DS3 has the leanest stats so far by trimming all needless fat. That Luck though. Not gonna put thousands of souls into that for
Anri's
Luck is great, makes bleed weapons ultra effective :D
Matters and it's forced upon every character. I'd rather have neither but if I must choose I'll take the one that won't cripple one of the most important aspect of the game from the get go.

Just take it into account when doing your character the same way you'd do stamina and health? It's hardly a concern unless you're doing a SL1 run.

I'll be honest and say that I can't quote anything tangible to back up my statement but Dark Souls 2 felt off after playing 1.

Not bad but different enough that it took me a while to get behind 2 and actually see it's strengths.

Just general player controls in 3 all reminded me of 1.

You mention striping out the improvements of Ds2 in terms of combat and as I said above I didn't see 2 as an improvement in that area but that is probably just personal choice.

I mean, things like power stancing or more multi directional rolling while locked on aren't really a matter of personal choice. They are improvements through and through.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What about Netscape Navigator?

I keep trying to reach out to Commodore to see if they can update the Amiga to work with Enhanced Steam, but for some reason I've never gotten a response.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is that Alienation PS4 indie game also coming to PC eventually?

I mean, things like power stancing or more multi directional rolling while locked on aren't really a matter of personal choice. They are improvements through and through.

It will be hard trying to explain my point as everything I'm basing my opinion on is intangible and therefore kind of inconsequential I guess...

Those things you mention are definitely positives but they don't really cover what I'm trying to convey.

I realise I've basically taken 2 paragraphs to say very little about my point...

Buraindo

Anri's

It has other uses beyond just that weapon.

Just take it into account when doing your character the same way you'd do stamina and health? It's hardly a concern unless you're doing a SL1 run.

It is a concern when the points that have to go into adp to make rolling effective could be spent better elsewhere if it weren't an almost mandatory stat (which it wasn't and thankfully will never be again ). It's also especially bad because there's no way to tell when and how many iframes you have during the roll in game. The same can't be said about RES because just leveling it up is a bad idea, and anyone can guess that just by looking at what it increases at level up, and there's no loss when ignoring it. DS3 did right by doing away with both.

So this one was made by From's B+ team, then?
Considering that Tanimura, the director of DS2 and most importantly its DLC, co-directed 3 you could actually say that heh.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Dark 2 hate is super overblown, it's a very worthwhile play.
It just had the uncomfortable task of following a game like Dark Souls 1 - a game that was many's first Souls game and expanded much on the ideas of Demon's.

I much prefer Dark 2 to BB in fact, sue me :/
i like dks2 a lot, i like the world and i feel most of the streamlining was a really huge success (which is insane if you think about it), but it just blew it on the level design and the boss fights were really disappointing. the dlc made things a lot better but it's just a noticeably weaker game than dks1 and demons

poor wording of mine but meant the world connectivity. Level design is good but the connectivity trash people gave 2 is there on 3 and no one bats an eye at that.
i'm pretty sure the connectivity stuff has been called out a bunch

dks3 is by no means perfect. agree with most of the points you make

Hah. A similar thing happened to me but only once. We two summons could not enter the boss fog after the host but didn't get hit by the boss.
yea also on that particular fog gate whenever someone got through they would get swept up into the skies and then warp back to the ground. was pretty funny

So this one was made by From's B+ team, then?

lmao

cool

seems to require a bunch of stuff like firefox nightly that i won't be installing for the time being but you know, i'm guessing it'll come to the stable versions of ff soon enough and that's pretty cool

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
cool

seems to require a bunch of stuff like firefox nightly that i won't be installing for the time being but you know, i'm guessing it'll come to the stable versions of ff soon enough and that's pretty cool

The target date for Firefox 48's general release is August 2. That gives me a couple of months to (hopefully) get all the bugs worked out before then.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bundlestars Playlist 4 - $1.99

Keebles
Moonlight
Pixelman
Taimumari
Zeus vs Monsters
Energy Balance
Butsbal
Twin Digits
Nexus One Core
Dark Years

zkylon

zkylewd
all the souls games have problems

dks1:
- lost izalith
- lost of excessively obtuse mechanics (upgrading, kindling, covenants)

dks2:
- weak level design
- weak boss fights
- less memorable new characters/world
- spidercove

dks3:
- weirdly linear level setup
- lazy fanservice
- barely any dialogue for "nexus" characters
- again less memorable new characters/world

i end up edging dks3 over 2 because dungeon exploring is probably what i enjoy most about these games and dks3 has really rewarding level design, but neither of them hold a candle to dks1 and since dks1 is like 4 gigs or something i'll forever have that one installed and that'll be the one i'll play forever and ever

The target date for Firefox 48's general release is August 2. That gives me a couple of months to (hopefully) get all the bugs worked out before then.
awesome, thanks for putting the work for the ff users

Nillansan

is that Alienation PS4 indie game also coming to PC eventually?

I kind of doubt it, while Helldivers and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture did get released on PC, none of the newer Housemarque games (Resogun and the update version of Dead Nation) have made it over.

zkylon

zkylewd
remember how i said i didn't much like the wip portraits for arcadian atlas

qX5Iw4P.gif

well that's how they'll actually look in the game

no worries then!

Maybe I'll try it out on a Nightly shortly but I'm looking forward to the real deal come later this year. Really glad I won't have to open Chrome every now and then anymore.

dks3:
- weirdly linear level setup
- lazy fanservice
- barely any dialogue for "nexus" characters
- again less memorable new characters/world
From was at the top of their art-design game, this is the prettiest souls game yet! The enemies and locations are very memorable IMO.

KingKong

I don't understand why people want a non-linear world anyway. What do you get out of it? I'd rather each zone be better designed than be constrained by having to be more connected

especially when you put it as a negative. it's just a different way to make a game.

Jawmuncher

There's still a good chance it might come to PC, right?

Yeah, they haven't said it was PS4 exclusive. Just that's the only system announced.
PC version I would bet will probably be later though. If KT was smart, if the game is good they get a competent port studio to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom