• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Xcom 2 or Hyper Light Drifter..

giphy.gif

A game locked to 30 fps or a game that runs at 30 fps on most hardware...

I really want to talk about a lot of NDA shit.

Like. I'm so mad right now.

Oooh... Good time to look at Thomas Duda's twitter account, as he regularly breaks Steam's NDA when Valve does something stupid.

Grief.exe

Some people might know that I've been tracking KSes for a long time, so I have a really good idea of what's going on. I wanted to call attention to some cool KSes that are coming up on completion this year, that are going to have really good reviews on release, and that have been transparent in communicating with fans:

Distance. Futuristic racing game, 95% positive Steam reviews (2,077). Funded 2012 for $161,000 with target release date of August 2013. Looks unbelievably good, user content creation tools, tons and tons of content, very active developers.

Jon Shafer's At the Gates - This is a Civilization style turn-based strategy empire building game focused around clans. Really good communication the entire time through development except recently (radio silence since November). Funded 2013 for $106,000 with target release June 2014. Great visual style and thoughtful mechanics. Hope the recent silence doesn't indicate development trouble.

Ghost of a Tale - Imagine the gothic world of Dark Souls, lighter gameplay, and themes drawn from Brian Jacques' Redwall and you have this spectacular looking game. Frequent updates with progress on art and mechanics, and it's great because the developer is someone with an art background and no programming background--so seeing him learn and improve is awesome. Backer playable coming soon and full release targeting later this year. Funded May 2013 for $50,000 with intended release June 2014.

Frontiers - One crazy person tries to make an open world ARPG with the same scope as Morrowind all by himself. The downside is that reviews suggest it's buggy, progress has been halting, and the dev is clearly going through a lot of stress as he makes the game. But it seems like there's something there, and the developer is really transparent. He's also the only person I've ever seen say "I'm going to use some of my money to work on side projects which will allow me to reinvest in the project you paid for" and actually seem to be a professional about doing so--he's working on side projects in the VR space and the money from those project is being used to hire people to work on Frontiers. Originally funded July 2013 for $157,000 for release January 2014.

The Long Dark - Open world Canadian wilderness survival game. I think a lot of people know about this one because it's been successful. Just an obscene amount of content, and more being added over time--over 600,000 copies sold on PC in early access and more on consoles where it was the first Early Access for Xbox One game. 95% positive Steam reviews with 14,148 reviews. Funded September 2013 for release October 2014. Updates every month or so with real substantial progress.

Obduction - Myst VI, developed by the original developers. A real labour of love. Looks beautiful and certainly seems to capture the Myst spirit. Lots of development updates from a developer known for great fan interaction for over 20 years. Launching this summer. Undeterred despite a publishing agreement falling through. Funded November 2013 for $1.3 million dollars, target release date October 2015.

That Which Sleeps - This is like a digital board game text adventure card game visual novel event strategy game. Kinda hard to describe. Set in a world plainly inspired by Lovecraft and other early-20th pulp horror writers. Solid updates with emphasis on polishing the UI, which in a game like this is paramount. Funded October 2014 for $85,000 with intended release March 2015

Strafe - 90s Quake-style fast paced shooter with big chunky polygons. Picked up a publishing deal with Devolver, frequent updates, looks really great. Targeting Early 2017, great looking trailer recently. Funded February 2015 for $207,000 with intended release May 2016.

Quern: Undying Thoughts - Myst-like 3d adventure that claims to be inspired by the works of Jules Verne. Looks great in videos, updates every few weeks, good progress and graphical upgrades, beefy length (12-14 hours as of last update), and almost content complete. Funded July 2015 for $35,000 with intent to release March 2016.

The common element with all of these is just a consistent professionalism when it comes to updates, combined with good premises and solid looking executions. Any you guys are keeping your eyes on?

Thanks for the info Stump! Certainly learned about some games that are now on my radar.

I really want to talk about a lot of NDA shit.

Like. I'm so mad right now.

Give us a hint!

For those of you wondering:

I have no idea how I didn't see that coming. And I had just gotten done bragging to a coworker about winning DS3 in a raffle too... lol.

But I still won a raffle out of 157 people. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

qERX2.gif

LMFAOOOOOOOOOO A+ Endruen THATS SOME MIGHTY GOOD TROLLING!! I'm dying over here, I'd be so god damn salty if i was Luap.

I'm sorry you got trolled but like honestly, you'll look back to this and have a good laugh.

Ok, look, I've already said I'm sorry, but I will say it again: I'm sorry everyone, it was just a prank, a one time thing I came up with.
And as I said, I don't have the money to buy it to begin with, but I can buy him something cheaper if he wants.
Also, I'm not entering this giveaway, good luck everyone!

That wasn't funny. Don't do stupid pranks again.

I don't care what anyone says, Life is Strange is one of the best adventure games ever made.
The common element with all of these is just a consistent professionalism when it comes to updates, combined with good premises and solid looking executions. Any you guys are keeping your eyes on?

Just Divinity: Original Sin 2, by Larian Studios. They have monthly-ish update videos that talk about DOS2's development plus other stuff relating to their studio, like visits to PAX or E3, etc. It was funded in Aug 2015 with 2 million on their 500k goal; estimated release is still December 2016, but I doubt anyone would blame them for pushing it. (They're in alpha still) It's shaping up to be a huge and worthy sequel with the ideas they've pitched and stuff they've shown so far.

The one thing working in DOS2's favour for hitting that release date is that the engine is all prepared this time, so theoretically development will be faster than the DOS1's.

Happy April Fools, here's a Stardew Valley key

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rockin' Ranger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stardew Valley -- MB-9EDED5935414A40F - Taken by kagamin. 13 entrants total.

t1459576304z1.png

oipic

Do I join the raffle or not? Ah the mind games!

It has been only 5-6 hours since a heart was ruthlessly broken, and we gasped as one at the gall and sheer cruelty of an April 1st 'joke' taken too far - surely history could not repeat so soon? Right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Starting to think Stump blacklisted me on Modbot

Not-Sure-If-Fry-Meme-Gif.gif

Dark Souls III has now been sent to Luap.

order-is-restored-alex-1406.gif

I just got home from work and logged on to GAF...

Vw5CuB7.gif

Holy shit you guys. You actually went ahead and did it... What an incredibly kind gesture from all of you who pitched in!

I'm not gonna lie, a part of me thought your PM was going to end up being another April fools joke... like the ultimate alley-oop prank. I think I've developed trust issues.

But seriously, thank you guys so much. This is the nicest thing a stranger (or group of strangers) has ever done for me. Wow!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starting to think Stump blacklisted me on Modbot

Not-Sure-If-Fry-Meme-Gif.gif

i can't blacklist people. the community can if enough people block you, but even then it only works if people use the global blacklist. i don't check the blacklist and i don't know who's on it. i suspect you're probably not though

Valve/Steam stuff?

No.

And while I think Valve is not that great when it comes to their infastructure, I'm not going to break NDA.

Give us a hint!

Let's just say that hypothetically you're involved in a communal offering of goods and what you were promised is nowhere near reality vs. what you were asked to give. And now imagine your game is not even a month and a half old.

On the plus side, everyone that now owns a copy of Army will get auto-notified when the DLC drops.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i can't blacklist people. the community can if enough people block you, but even then it only works if people use the global blacklist. i don't check the blacklist and i don't know who's on it. i suspect you're probably not though

Let me have this, geez. Go back to your tv shows thread where you belong!

Soulflarz

Banned
Let's just say that hypothetically you're involved in a communal offering of goods and what you were promised is nowhere near reality vs. what you were asked to give. And now imagine your game is not even a month and a half old.

On the plus side, everyone that now owns a copy of Army will get auto-notified when the DLC drops.

That hypothetical sucks.

I just got home from work and logged on to GAF...

Vw5CuB7.gif

Holy shit you guys. You actually went ahead and did it... What an incredibly kind gesture from all of you who pitched in!

I'm not gonna lie, a part of me thought your PM was going to end up being another April fools joke... like the ultimate alley-oop prank. I think I've developed trust issues.

But seriously, thank you guys so much. This is the nicest thing a stranger (or group of strangers) has ever done for me. Wow!

If that happened I would probably start nuking the world. There is no hope in humanity after that.

BUT we're decent human beings here - well most of us - so you have nothing to worry about.

Rhaknar

What I want to know is how Bernardo gets these fast ass Canadian hook ups. I know for a fact hes no canadian! :eek:

If that happened I would probably start nuking the world. There is no hope in humanity after that.

BUT we're decent human beings here - well most of us - so you have nothing to worry about.

It would have definitely been a bit soul-crushing... but also funny in a very dark kind of way.

Lol.

What I want to know is how Bernardo gets these fast ass Canadian hook ups. I know for a fact hes no canadian! :eek:

Oh god, the FBI is knocking on my door. Bernardo what have you done to get me this game???

I had some other keys too.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rockin' Ranger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Probably Not Hyper Light Drifter -- MB-6417145AEFEA9813 - Taken by -MD-. 14 entrants total.
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure -- MB-F5399DF1D1FA6D44 - Taken by almostheathen. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dreamfall Chapters -- MB-9E739E1251C62357 - Taken by bigzgod. 8 entrants total.
Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas -- MB-0D0795DB0A5D73CD - Taken by Jadax. 4 entrants total.
Shadowrun Returns -- MB-B49748FA341DBF0A - Taken by BorntoPlay. 1 entrants total.
Secret of the Magic Crystals Complete -- MB-1C986389191ADD88 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut -- MB-62BB23BD18DEE390 - Taken by HP_Wuvcraft. 1 entrants total.

t1459578584z1.png

Lomax

Ianal, but if a contract was negotiated based on what turned out to be fraudulent claims, any nda associated with that contract wouldn't be binding, at least not morally.

Ianal, but if a contract was negotiated based on what turned out to be fraudulent claims, any nda associated with that contract wouldn't be binding, at least not morally.

It's not at the level of fraud yet, but I have heard some things that I didn't know before and it stacks up well with what I was asked to do in order to make this bundle work. I also was quoted a number that, while it wasn't a lie, it was contextual, severely padded, as well as made out to be definitive whereas it was just circumstancial.

Holy shit it actually was Hyper Light Drifter

qSGtvHu.png

Fuck yeah! Thanks a bunch.

Congrats!

Though after seeing the entries I knew I should have listed that under Secret of the Magic Crystals instead of actually including a Secret of the Magic Crystals key.

The best April Fool's Joke was Stardew Valley imo.

That one was pretty good too.

In the true spirit of steam gaf please use the anime portrait mods.

Steam is recommending Dragon: The Game to me because it's apparently similar to games that I play. I honestly have no idea what I've done wrong to cause this.

I had been under the impression that it was some kind of futuristic racing game.

I have the solution for all your game recommendation problems:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312780/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427510/?snr=1_5_9__300

Should I get Stardew or Hyper Light?
Stardew is amazing, don't have Hyper Light so I can't compare, but Stardew is almost as amazing as the WotS games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom