• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Overcast - Walden and the Werewolf -- MB-20766E7B3456761F - Taken by Loptous

mp1990

Banned
I've been watching some Hitman streams throughout the day and it has really piqued my interest in it. I had a blast with Absolution, even playing through it two times, and this one looks miles better. Now I'm not sure if I should grab the two already released episodes on my PS4, or wait until I upgrade my PC in September so I can have more episodes available, though I'll probably opt for the latter.

Lmao.
Sorry flarz, Origins is still the best game in the entire series.

It's narrowly superior to That Which Cannot Be Named, yeah. But better than City and Asylum? No way. Origins is far too glitchy and derivative for it to be anything beyond mediocre.

Plus, Kevin Conroy or bust.

Jawmuncher

The best batman game
myr6f.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
It's narrowly superior to That Which Cannot Be Named, yeah. But better than City and Asylum? No way. Origins is far too glitchy and derivative for it to be anything beyond mediocre.

Plus, Kevin Conroy or bust.
I didn't have to many issues with glitches. And the combat is just better, as well as the combat design. Yes, it doesn't have the GOAT voice actors for Batman and Joker, but ironically enough, its the one in the series that really feels like a good Batman story (troy Baker also kicked ass at impersonating Hamill for the most part. Not as good as him, but damn close enough to be a great performance)

yuraya

Origins is not better than Asylum but its definitely better than City.

All 3 are great action/stealth games tho with great stories. There is no reason to diss/dismiss any of them.

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pressure -- MB-EB5225C1BB6E44E3 - Taken by neonglow

:3

MUnited83

For you.
Origins is not better than Asylum but its definitely better than City.

All 3 are great action/stealth games tho with great stories. There is no reason to diss/dismiss any of them.
Asylum's story is the worst of the bunch easily (not counting AK)

Also, while we're taking about Batman games, Batman: The Brave and the Bold is pretty legit.

Army of Tentacles: New Game+ Benefits Beta Weekend!

AoT_DLC2_Header_zpsbqgkwxwi.jpg

I need SEVEN brave young souls to spend some time making sure the DLC to the Official Cthulhu Fucking Simulator(tm) works good.

200_s.gif

If you would like to volunteer as tribute, fucking PM me with your email, Steam Name, and OS and I will set you up with a link to the DLC. If you own the game on Steam already, this is going to be a non-Steam version just to make sure there are no mistake uploads (LIKE LAST TIME LOL).

The GOTY is out.

oh god

oh gooooooooooooooooooood

How long does it take for a game to be gifted by email from the Steam inventory? I just sent it to myself - or thought I did - but it's not showing up.

Mivey

Origins is the best Batman game, but Asylum has the best Riddler challenges.
Having played Origins, it feels like a small step up from City, but it never manages to be its own thing. I can see how at the time, when the franchise wasn't so completely worn out, someone might loose themselves in it, but it really doesn't stand up to the test of time. At least Arkham Knight inserted actually new things into the open world, like the car and the occasional breaks from the open world (Ace Chemical, the Studio and so forth), but Origins is just a "Me-too" sequel with little soul.

Ronin isn't clicking with me. I'm not mad or frustrated, it's just that there's something in the combat system I don't know how to take advantage of yet. The grappling hook leaves me dangling without options regularly, and most of the time I'm leaping from agent to agent knocking them down but taking the killing blow gets me shot the next turn. It's nice that it has reasonable check points. I like the style and the main character's animation. Carrying on...

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
This was the original Batman game.

That has nothing to do with Arkham Origins though, which I think is a perfectly serviceable game whose greatest faults (assuming you have no graphical glitches or bugs) is that it's more of what was in Arkham City (same locations, lot of the same characters, feeling of the overworld, repeated gimmicks with slightly different names (a poison instead of a fear toxin) etc) and some poor stage design at certain points if you ever want to go back in and get what you miss (Riddler collectibles).

It is disappointing that the "new" weapons and tools outside of the DLC doesn't really add anything to the franchise or just replacements for what we got in other games already, but concepts in it were of interest to me. Being given challenges beyond just "beat X enemies by using tactic Y, Z amount of times" for Riddler challenge I would do, but more out of me doing it all automatically in other games, while "Perform a Vent, Explosive Gel, Corner and Hanging Ledge takedown in one encounter" or "Eliminate 3 enemies with one propane tank." interested me in trying something I wouldn't have done otherwise.
It's just a shame one of those challenges could be blocked off without a player ever knowing it due to some bad level design or a graphical glitch (no wall loading in).

The biggest addition to game play was recreating crime scenes and events through [in-game] augmented reality to show you how someone was shot or how a crash occurred. For the most part this is fine and pads the game out a bit to see how Batman can pierce things together and would do so more quickly and instantly in Asylum/City/Knight (later in his career), but other times it made him look like an idiot.
Someone escaped by getting over a wall, but "how?" Batman wonders to himself, as in clear sight there is a ladder on the ground. No time to figure this out himself, time to recreate this specific portion of the crime scene to find out!

Difficulty wise I must admit I found the game too easy, especially once they add in the electrical gauntlets and you get bigger combos, higher damage, and get through enemy protection and there is even less reason to try out different tactics. Yet that's not a disappointment to some, as they just want to "destroy everyone" as Batman and this does the job, but it feel a bit into the "just mass the attack button" more than any of the other games (and I'm including the spin-offs in that).

Story wise, I think it's the best Batman story. It's straight forward and does it's job as an origin story for Arkham Asylum, it builds up several threats, and it fleshes out the world some without falling apart in the end like City or in an anti-climatic boss fight like Asylum. I liked seeing respectable Doctor Harley, I liked seeing disappointed Alfred, I liked seeing Penguin before he was "a legitimate businessman" and who he associated with, and so forth. They added to help make the world stand out a bit more that other games mostly just depended on the comics to illustrate rather than in game.
I won't call it the greatest in the franchise, especially as it's the only one in the main series I never got a 100% on and found no challenge nor joy in it's Predator and Challenge maps (too easy or generic), but as someone who enjoyed Arkham City and was okay with the idea of "more Arkham City with just slightly more" gameplay wise, it did the job and I got more of the character stories I was interested in as someone who has also read the comic tie-ins.

It's not the original Batman game though on ZX Spectrum however, but then, nothing ever could be.

In retrospect, a better direction for Rocksteady to take after nailing the core gameplay of Batman so perfectly in Asylum, was to explore the Bruce Wayne side of things. It would've given them a whole host of things to do without compromising the combat/Batman part, which means they wouldn't have been scrambling for ideas for the next 2-3ish games. (And let's face it, their answer always ended up being: more characters! CATWOMAN! VILLAINS! THE BATMOBILE! ahhhh)

bloke

Stupid newbie question, when I enter key and get "Product already owned" message, is key still valid for other user/steam account?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I would argue the DLC for Arkham Origins did do the Bruce Wayne side of things story wise and did a decent job at it, but from people's reactions, it's not what people really wanted.
Telltale will be better for that, especially if they do well with "Bruce Wayne playing the fool to get information because people don't expect him to be a threat." so common in comics post 1970s.

Meanwhile Rocksteady should make a Green Arrow game. On an island, that is open world design. With gun runners and slavers to hunt down and take out. I don't even care if the story is good or not (as I'm not a Green Arrow fan comic wise), just give the game play what it could be.

L4D3 this summer.

Would be nice. I played L4D and L4D2 so much at every LAN-Party. The immersion was great and I think Valve excels at making great maps that you want to revisit over and over with little eastereggs everywhere.
I really would love a L4D3 that doesnt use 5 maps for a campaign, but a whole big map and a bit more open with VR Support.#

Really think its sad they kinda abandoned SP games and try to build up "virtual economy" games nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom