• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

i like this favorite series idea

mine's gonna be fallout* since fallout 2, new vegas and 1 are like my three favorite games ever lol

fallout is kind of what games are about for me, where some games have breadth and some games have depth, fallout has both and it also had satire and social/political commentary and fun, likeable characters and a super unique setting and just so much freedom to do whatever the hell you want. it's a game in which you can like blow up kids and sell slaves and shit. it's insane

and as a series, it's never disappointed me. it's always found ways to surprise me and push itself forward and try new things and revisit characters and locations and factions and actually do something meaningful with them

*shitty bethesda games don't count

Oh man, that feel of modern Bethesda running classic series into the ground.

I'm always here for support.

e6ZCoNc.gif

Anno

Finally decided to give Witcher 3 the playthrough it deserves. My god...how big is this game?? There's question marks on top of the question marks.

I also killed a main character...I think. Out of nowhere. WTF.

Unless you really, really need to check off every single box I would turn off the question marks either right away or maybe when you get outside of the tutorial area. It just becomes way too much. You'll happen upon plenty of them if you go off exploring on your own and enjoy them without feeling bogged down and overwhelmed.

iosefe

Favorite series time?

well lets see..it all goes back to good old 199something

There i am sitting at a computer, my family owned a joystick, and a copy of Mechwarrior 2. i played some of it, but as a stopud kid, did i really know what i was doing?

so i learned how to remap keys and stuff, and used the Joystick to play this new starwars game, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. oh i fell in love. and then my brother got Mysteries of the Sith for christmas.

long story short, i really like star wars. but Final Fantasy has been with me just as long. i played VII when i was a wee tot. and years later played 9. and FFV, which stayed with me for a while as i had forgotten if for many years, but upon reciving a GBA copy of FFV in exchange for helping a friend with his WoW addiction in middle school, i knew it was that all too familiar game, Metor crashing into the land and all!

Kifimbo

Well, last weekend my GPU died after 3.5 years. Started having crashes earlier this year, but simply restarting my computer was working. It finally gave up completely last Friday. Decided to change my power supply, add a SSD and install Windows 10. All set again, and it feels good.

Finally decided to give Witcher 3 the playthrough it deserves. My god...how big is this game?? There's question marks on top of the question marks.

Here's a hint: turn off the question marks.

You'll be fine, you won't get gimped, as the best gears are still the witcher set.

It's difficult to praise Bethesda when they keep making the same basic mistakes in all of their games. Chief among it bad atrocious UI, mediocre gameplay, Bethesda's trademark "jank" (that has somehow Stockholm syndromed its players), a dedication to poor writing, etc. The only thing they've consistently gotten right is mod support, which makes their game succeed in spite of itself. And now with crowdsourced DLC, they're looking to ruin even that.

I do enjoy their games, but with how much community work goes into that experience it almost feels wrong to credit it to Bethesda.

It isn't the biggest open world ever, but it sure feels like it. Rest assured that no quest is a waste of time.

Anything involving trolls is a good time. Gaming's best trolls, for sure.

NinjaEdit: I second turning off the location ?'s. It makes the experience feel a whole lot more organic, which the game excels.
Favorite series time?

well lets see..it all goes back to good old 199something

There i am sitting at a computer, my family owned a joystick, and a copy of Mechwarrior 2. i played some of it, but as a stopud kid, did i really know what i was doing?

so i learned how to remap keys and stuff, and used the Joystick to play this new starwars game, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. oh i fell in love. and then my brother got Mysteries of the Sith for christmas.

long story short, i really like star wars. but Final Fantasy has been with me just as long. i played VII when i was a wee tot. and years later played 9. and FFV, which stayed with me for a while as i had forgotten if for many years, but upon reciving a GBA copy of FFV in exchange for helping a friend with his WoW addiction in middle school, i knew it was that all too familiar game, Metor crashing into the land and all!

The Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series is amazing. Janky by today's standards, but I can totally see where all the love comes from.

Kyle Katarn needs to return, especially since Disney now loves the post-Imperial era.

Lionhead Studios has shut down. (I honestly thought it did back when Fable Legends was cancelled.)

Eurogamer said:
Here's a statement sent to Eurogamer from a Microsoft spokesperson:

"We can confirm that after much consideration over the six week consultation period with Lionhead employees, we have reached the decision to close Lionhead Studios. We have nothing but heart-felt thanks for the team at Lionhead for their significant contributions to Xbox and the games industry."

My post-Lionhead thoughts: Black & White 2 needs to come to GOG
and I guess Steam.
I've always wanted to play it. Fable 2, too.

Nzyme32

The Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series is amazing. Janky by today's standards, but I can totally see where all the love comes from.

Kyle Katarn needs to return, especially since Disney now loves the post-Imperial era.

Check out the Rogue 1 trailer. Even though Disney / Lucasfilm / Abrams have removed all the books and games from being canon, that movie has a character so similar to Jan Ors. They give her a slightly different name, but she seems to have a similar role. Maybe there will be a Kyle Katarn in there too since they are heading in that direction.

Ozium

was looking at gpu shit on gpu-z

noticed bus interface was running at pci-e x2 instead of x16

was like wtf, it should be in correct slot and no other cards should interfere (I have a card in a pci x1 slot)

shut down, opened up system, took out GPU, put GPU back in thinking it was just a bad connection in the slot, made sure it was tight and all connections were legit

close up computer, won't turn on... check power plug, outlet, etc. nothing freak out because I just did all this on my lap cuz yolo and worried I fried it

open up computer, check all power cords and make sure they are secure (maybe I loosened something with gpu shenanigans) reset the electricity going into the power strip...

turn on psu, see muh memory and mobo leds light up
tear in my eye
plug back in monitor/peripherals
start up computer

gpu-z, bus interface, currently running at x16

the satisfaction of fixing shit

now I'm smoking a bowl and having a coffee.

pc is the dark souls of consoles

It would be easier to smoke coffee, wouldn't it?
Check out the Rogue 1 trailer. Even though Disney / Lucasfilm / Abrams have removed all the books and games from being canon, that movie has a character so similar to Jan Ors. They give her a slightly different name, but she seems to have a similar role. Maybe there will be a Kyle Katarn in there too since they are heading in that direction.
Cool. That trailer was great... I seem to be vulnerable to OG Star Wars nostalgia.

She could be Jan. And the 80's beard guy could be Kyle. Or I mean... Yan and Ryle or something wholly original.

was like wtf, it should be in correct slot and no other cards should interfere (I have a card in a pci x1 slot)

shut down, opened up system, took out GPU, put GPU back in thinking it was just a bad connection in the slot, made sure it was tight and all connections were legit

close up computer, won't turn on... check power plug, outlet, etc. nothing freak out because I just did all this on my lap cuz yolo and worried I fried it

open up computer, check all power cords and make sure they are secure (maybe I loosened something with gpu shenanigans) reset the electricity going into the power strip...

tear in my eye
start up computer

Are you sure it wasn't just that the machine wasn't using the graphics card at the moment? It's a power saving feature, I think.

Ozium

Are you sure it wasn't just that the machine wasn't using the graphics card at the moment? It's a power saving feature, I think.

nah I tested it while idle, while running a game, and while running the in-app rendering thing and it was always x2

also restarted and tested under those conditions and nothing until I opened it up and plugged it out and in again

it's like "did you try turning it off and then on again" but "did you try plugging it out and then in again"

iosefe

It would be easier to smoke coffee, wouldn't it?

Cool. That trailer was great... I seem to be vulnerable to OG Star Wars nostalgia.

She could be Jan. And the 80's beard guy could be Kyle. Or I mean... Yan and Ryle or something wholly original.

Jyn Erso and Cassein Willix

mp1990

Banned
Lionhead Studios has shut down. (I honestly thought it did back when Fable Legends was cancelled.)

My post-Lionhead thoughts: Black & White 2 needs to come to GOG
and I guess Steam.
I've always wanted to play it. Fable 2, too.
That's really depressing to hear, even though I can understand some people holding a grudge against them (well, mostly against Molyneux I think) for dreaming beyond their reaches. This is probably a bit of wishful thinking, but hopefully MS will find a way of porting the Fable games to PC, I'd kill to experience Fable 2 once again.

neonglow

Has anyone played Raiden IV on Steam and recommend it? It's currently $5 and I'm thinking of getting it. The last Raiden game I played was Raiden Trad on the SNES.

tuxfool

Banned

tear in my eye
start up computer

the satisfaction of fixing shit

I should point out that your computer shuts down PCI-E lanes when the graphics card isn't under heavy load. Next time you see it using 2x or 4x, start up a benchmark and watch it shoot up to 16x

Ozium

I should point out that your computer shuts down PCI-E lanes when the graphics card isn't under heavy load. Next time you see it using 2x or 4x, start up a benchmark and watch it shoot up to 16x

I tested it under heavy load and it didn't change man

zkylon

zkylewd
Liam Neeson tho
beth are like the masters of fucking up amazing voice acting talent

both patrick steward and liam neeson are depressingly underused in oblivion and fo3

i'm like, wth, you got awesome voices to work with, why are you making their characters have like less than 20 lines of dialogue

yea it's actually huge and not in the greatest of ways. like, there's plenty good stuff in it but there's A LOT of filler. i don't really like their version of an open world

Oh man, that feel of modern Bethesda running classic series into the ground.

I'm always here for support.

e6ZCoNc.gif
well, ever since new vegas got released i'm like everything happens for a reason cos like, if it weren't for fo3 we wouldn't have new vegas. and now everyone's happy (except maybe obsidian lol)

i'll openly say fo3 is kind of shit cos that's my opinion about it but i don't hold a grudge against beth anymore, and ppl are free to love games i don't think are any good and they got all my respect if they do

SteamGAF needs to stop hating on Bethesda. They are a great developer. Skyrim and Fallout 3 were great games.
i think that's debatable but yea like i said i've moved on from hating beth and i'll just say i don't think they make good games anymore. i've given skyrim and fallout 4 honest shots but they're just bad games in my eyes

i'll always respect their commitment for simulation driven open world games tho, as well as modding support (forgetting for a second that they tried to monetize that lol)

Don't be bitter, chum. Normally I would, but things are gonna be crazy for me over the next...week and a half or so. Also, I don't have the original game so I dunno how I'd test the DLC.

It's fine (and I'd be sending the game via email), I'm almost done anyway, I'm just testing variations.

I got my early Overwatch open beta key from my preorder, if my IRL friends didn't claim it first, I shall raffle it here.
Are you playing solo or co-opping with someone?
I sometimes play with a friend, but he's lagging behind since Cathedral.
Yup. I try and throw down my summon sign there to help people out, it's a nightmare.

As if the fucking Archers weren't bad enough.
I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley
is also pretty bad, while the first bonfire after the bridge is a PvP area, people still invade after that, fire witch and the infinite stamina pontiff knights are too good to pass up.

^yes

CDPR is the living proof that quality could coexist with quantity, also, Blood and Wine expansion's land mass is going to be as big as all of the Skellige isles combined.

Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me with an issue I'm having.

I'm on Windows 10, and when I go to storage it says that every single Steam game I have is the exact same size: 4.53 GB. Origin games show up correctly, but every Steam one is the same despite most being smaller. Because of this, it says my hard drive is a lot fuller than it actually is.

Does anyone know of this issue, or any way to possibly resolve it?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I'm on Windows 10, and when I go to storage it says that every single Steam game I have is the exact same size: 4.53 GB. Origin games show up correctly, but every Steam one is the same despite most being smaller. Because of this, it says my hard drive is a lot fuller than it actually is.

I've heard of the issue before hand and it involved Steam not properly registering a size file for the downloaded games and Windows 10 "guessing" the size based off what it thinks is a similar file.

As for resolving it, I can't recall if there was ever a given fix, but I would try the basic "uninstall Steam, reinstall" and see if the problem persists.

Lomax

You could try verifying the cache of a game's install and see if that fixes it. Would be a pain to do every game if you have a lot, but it would be better than actually reinstalling.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there no way to boot iTunes through Steam? I don't mean the music library. I mean booting the actual application itself so I can have the status of iTunes when I'm watching TV shows via Apple's service since 1) Valve still won't allow owning the titles without massive DRM and 2) the only option right now is movies and them being rentals.

Grief.exe

Is there no way to boot iTunes through Steam? I don't mean the music library. I mean booting the actual application itself so I can have the status of iTunes when I'm watching TV shows via Apple's service since 1) Valve still won't allow owning the titles without massive DRM and 2) the only option right now is movies and them being rentals.

That would be up to the studios and not Valve.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That would be up to the studios and not Valve.

Well, obviously. Which means 3) Me booting iTunes/third party music/video services through Steam and having the status "Non-Steam Game" pop-up so folks know I'm not just "online." But the iTunes shortcut doesn't seem to load through Steam?

Edit: Wordpad works, but closing the application and not saving anything has the Non-Steam Game status stick. Well, shit. :/

Tellaerin

I really need a good science fiction game as a break from all the fantasy stuff I've been playing lately. (I've been pingponging between Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy.) Wish there were more good sf-themed ARPGs. Still not sure why more developers haven't stepped up to try and get a piece of Mass Effect's action - you've got one hugely popular futuristic sf franchise, and about a billion competing fantasy RPG's, yet when given the option they'll develop yet another fantasy game. I don't get it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I really need a good science fiction game as a break from all the fantasy stuff I've been playing lately. (I've been pingponging between Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy.) Wish there were more good sf-themed ARPGs. Still not sure why more developers haven't stepped up to try and get a piece of Mass Effect's action - you've got one hugely popular futuristic sf franchise, and about a billion competing fantasy RPG's, yet when given the option they'll develop yet another fantasy game. I don't get it.

Not an RPG and it has a horror game side to it, but I would highly recommend SOMA, it has a fantastic sci-fi world and a very good story.

Already played SOMA? If not absolutely that even though it's not an arpg.

edit: and beaten :p

Bluth54

167 UGC rostered TF2 players were banned about a hour ago, which included the three snipers who won their respected platinum, gold, and silver league.

I quit as a medic main a few seasons ago because of crazy snipers that would just control and lock down a game, nice to see Valve doing more about it while they spin up the competitive mode and get it out of beta.

Yeah apparently Valve got the source code and a debug version of LMAObox Premium, which is what allowed them to update VAC to detect it and ban people.

Don't worry, Technomancer will get you covered, coming later in June. You might want to try their previous game, Mars War Logs, if you're prone to some janks.

If you're into mmo(lite), Skyforge is pretty good as well.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Have you tried Advent Rising?

Lomax

Mars: War Logs is decent but janky. I got 10 hours of fun out of Greed: Black Border which has been bundled a bunch. Funnily enough the Disney Infinity stuff is pretty solid as Star Wars ARPGs and can be had for a few dollars each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom