• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

In what way, better farming mechanics? More relevant NPCs? Nice finishing?

how can you compare a shooter to sim-RPG anyway? on what criteria?

As a joke obviously. :p

Personally I find Harvest Moon pretty boring, but I realize they're totally different genres.

It was more a reaction to not enough Wild Guns love.

Tizoc

There is a sale on the previous entry, BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Extend, on IndieGala. Should I buy it? Although I don't like buying from them...
Wait for Central Fiction, it'll have the characters from CS along with gameplay changes and rebalances.
Generally you want the latest ver. of a (modern era) fighting game where possible.

Corpekata

Banned
Saying it is dumb to port Wild Guns first isn't hating on it, it's recognizing that it's a dumb first game by a studio new to the market. If it bombs (and it will) it could easily put them off the platform. Looks how long it took for NIS to finally get on track after starting with fucking Cladun X2. It was like 4 years before they released anything else.

that's an unfortunate typo, it's Gamersgate

also don't forget to check if a steam key before buying anything there
Oops, sorry, fixed. I never understand that GG scandal because I'm not from US or EU, it's almost unknown for non-English speakers. And by the way, you can set "Steam" filter to see only offers with steam keys.
Tq5O10W.png

Saying it is dumb to port Wild Guns first isn't hating on it, it's recognizing that it's a dumb first game by a studio new to the market. If it bombs (and it will) it could easily put them off the platform. Looks how long it took for NIS to finally get on track after starting with fucking Cladun X2. It was like 4 years before they released anything else.

The problem is the following: It might have been the best thinf they could've ported.
Natsume doesnt own the Harvest Moon series, just the brand name in West. The serie is owned by Marvelous which now releases it under the name Story of Seasons.

Now Natsume developp their own Harvest Moon game internally... And that's what it looks like:
2_harvest_moon_seeds_of_memories.jpg

Coreda

Do many use the Today's Post link in the user pop-out panel on this site? I think I may clicked it like twice in total, since due of the constant posts it's a less useful 'active discussions' link than other forums (the first page is filled with threads replied to just in the last couple minutes).

Rizzi

The problem is the following: It might have been the best thinf they could've ported.
Natsume doesnt own the Harvest Moon series, just the brand name in West. The serie is owned by Marvelous which now releases it under the name Story of Seasons.

Now Natsume developp their own Harvest Moon game internally... And that's what it looks like:
2_harvest_moon_seeds_of_memories.jpg

Oh sweet jesus that's horrific.

Arthea

only two weeks till Trails 3

Oh sweet jesus that's horrific.

we have Stardew Valley, so we are fine as far as Harvest Moon goes, hopefully we can get Rune Factory some day too.

It's odd that nobody tries to ride that Stardew Valley success wave, though

only two weeks till Trails 3

we have Stardew Valley, so we are fine as far as Harvest Moon goes, hopefully we can get Rune Factory some day too.

It's odd that nobody tries to ride that Stardew Valley success wave, though

I disagree here. Stardew Valley definitely scratches that 2D Harvest Moon itch, but not the 3D one with saw with "A Wonderful Life".

Fuck it, i took a week off because there is too damn much games and i have too little free time. I got like 10 games in my Steam library that i want to play right now or already playing, and even more to come. Nier: Automata, Bulletstorm, Bayonetta, Full Throttle, Warhammer 40k, Dawn of War 3, Syberia 3, Halo Wars... RIP my backlog cleaning, i was doing great until Nier released, and everything went crazy after that.

CRABT2YUcAEJ8ZC.jpg

Also, this is more conflicting to me now to get new Prey or not, I'm a huge System Shock fan and really looking forward for this game, but there is just already too much games to play so i don't have motivation to buy it at release, just like Dishonored 2 back then. Poor Arkane, they are very unlucky with their release schedule lately.

Arthea

I disagree here. Stardew Valley definitely scratches that 2D Harvest Moon itch, but not the 3D one with saw with "A Wonderful Life".
yea, I might be biased here as I vastly prefer Rune Factory.
More such games is better, I agree on this, especially good ones.

Fuck it, i took a week off because there is too damn much games and i have too little free time. I got like 10 games in my Steam library that i want to play right now or already playing, and even more to come. Nier: Automata, Bulletstorm, Bayonetta, Full Throttle, Warhammer 40k, Dawn of War 3, Syberia 3, Halo Wars... RIP my backlog cleaning, i was doing great until Nier released, and everything went crazy after that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRABT2YUcAEJ8ZC.jpg[/IMG

Also, this is more conflicting to me now to get new Prey or not, I'm a huge System Shock fan and really looking forward for this game, but there is just already too much games to play so i don't have motivation to buy it at release, just like Dishonored 2 back then. Poor Arkane, they are very unlucky with their release schedule lately.[/QUOTE]

I stopped even trying, still somewhere back in 2013 as far as day one purchases go [SPOILER] lol[/SPOILER]
and this year being as insane as it is, I think I'm not gonna leave 2013 any time soon.

yea, I might be biased here as I vastly prefer Rune Factory.
More such games is better, I agree on this, especially good ones.

But yeah, it's still crazy Marvelous can't see Stardew Valley's success. If they weren't so Japan centric, we'd see them ramping up some budget to make a 3D Harvest Moon with workshop support for Steam. As Stardew Valley took from Harvest Moon or more like Story of Seasons should take from Stardew Valley.

Corpekata

Banned
Unity's flaws are typically less apparent with 2d games. It's 3D games where the engine shows its issues, though even games like Pillars of Eternity can have issues in cities. Games like Dreamfall and Satellite Reign are harder to achieve great running shape in certain areas than most AAA games.

The only major 3D Unity games I've played that weren't a total mess in some way were Recore (haven't played Yooka yet) and somewhat Assault Android Cactus (would have hitches upon load ins at times, but gameplay was smooth overall).

Unity's flaws are typically less apparent with 2d games. It's 3D games where the engine shows its issues, though even games like Pillars of Eternity can have issues in cities. Games like Dreamfall and Satellite Reign are harder to achieve great running shape in certain areas than most AAA games.

The only major 3D Unity games I've played that weren't a total mess in some way were Recore (haven't played Yooka yet) and somewhat Assault Android Cactus (would have hitches upon load ins at times, but gameplay was smooth overall).

It's apparent with 2D games on GPD Win.

kionedrik

Yesterday I finished Jotun and was quite satisfied with it.

For starters the game is gorgeous and quite possibly one of the most beautiful hand-drawn games ever made.
In terms of gameplay it's an hybrid between Dark Souls and Titan Souls. You explore mostly empty spaces with no enemies and some environmental hazards like lava pits or thunderbolts, in order to collect runes that will open the arena where you'll fight a big boss with lots of health and some devastating telegraphed attacks. You don't die in one hit but sometimes 3 or 4 hits are enough to bring you from 100% to death.
The exploration part is what you'll spend most of your time doing and it's what will make or break the game for most people. Basically if you want non-stop action this isn't the game for you, however if you appreciate great art direction and story exposition about the Norse Mythology with minimal gameplay this game's a treat. There are a couple of secrets to be found like health extenders and magical powers with very limited uses.

The boss battles are all varied and range from the static big guy with AoE attacks to the nimble bitch that will you'll only be able to hit once every minute since your swings are purposely slow and heavy (you're carrying a big 2-handed axe afterall).
Finally, I'd like to mention the last boss battle especially how insanely hard it is. It might be the hardest boss battle in any game I've ever played but it's immensely satisfying being able to finally beat the gods and gain entrance to Valhalla.

The game is short (about 5h) so don't let it sit in your backlog, give it a try.

Arthea

I watched The Surge combat trailer, and it's a definite pass for me, even in a trailer movement looks anything but fluid and fast and combat doesn't look fun.
If impressions will prove me wrong, I might buy it later, but so far, not interested. It's a pity, cuz we need more good sci-fi RPGs.

Only now I realized it developed by Jack Keane devs
that explains so much!

Ludens

Banned
It's not wrong per se, just tied to the release date of the console versions.

I think the console version released too, just posted an 8 hours video in my post.
Anyway the framerate is just awful, there are those microfreezes around, but maybe it's the console version only.
But again, Unity.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think the console version released too, just posted an 8 hours video in my post.
Anyway the framerate is just awful, there are those microfreezes around, but maybe it's the console version only.
But again, Unity.

Yeah, I'm a dumbo and was supposed to say the US release date. I was looking at Amazon's product page for the PS4 version, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom