• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

Man, if they can't release SC this year, I probably won't buy it until it's 75% off. I know they've been trying and it's not their fault, but my interest in the game is 90% gone by this point. I supported FC, buying multiple PSP and Steam copies, but the iron has long cooled off. The main reason I still plan to buy this year is because I still have a small desire to support the release of the series in the west.

mjc

This probably gets asked a million times, but what's some good PC strategy games? I'm looking at either something like Company of Heroes or some 4X style games. Obviously Civ 5 is a big boy, is Endless Legend pretty accessible to newcomers?

This probably gets asked a million times, but what's some good PC strategy games? I'm looking at either something like Company of Heroes or some 4X style games. Obviously Civ 5 is a big boy, is Endless Legend pretty accessible to newcomers?

It's really accessible, but it lacks some depth compared to Civ 5. The troop types are really few, and combat is actually pretty simple. It's fun, it has great art/design, but it's a bit lacking. Enjoyable, but not comparable to Civ 5.

Tried Dawn of War II? It has a really great campaign. Multiplayer is not so fun in my opinion, but if you liked Company of Heroes you're gonna like it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
How is toukiden kiwami on pc? I know theres a frame cap but just overall the game etc.

Im torn between buying that or dragon age inqui
Have you played Monster Hunter before? It's the same type of game, so if you enjoy MH you'll probably like Toukiden. I haven't actually played it myself, so I can't help you farther than that.

edit: Damn, did Toukiden bomb? only ~5,500 sales and it released at the end of June. :(

Grief.exe

Want to pull the trigger on an Ncase/Skylake/M.2 build so bad, the upgrade itch is real.

kUCMK8p.jpg

Benedict

Going from W7 to W10 feels like a nightmare...
Then trying to adjust it for all members of the family is hell...
Hate how it's tied to my private meaningless outlook email.
Makes me want to skip PCs all together and go console only.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

What happens if ur outlook email is hacked. Surely u cant aign into Windows anymore cos it uses ur outlook password to sign in?

Ive never played monster hunter before :D

You can make your normal email like Gmail or whatever into a "Microsoft Account" or some such and sign in with that on Windows 10, you have to do it through their website I believe but I've been using my primary Gmail email since Windows 8.

So shadownet is either a willfully ignorant racist or a naive racist? Poor guy. I hope he doesn't say anything he might regret in the future.

Speaking of race: I got to chapter 4 of binary domain. I gotta hand it to them, these are some of the most well realized characters in a shooter I've played. They seem authentic outside of Bo maybe being a bit too close to a stereotype than I care for. But I trust that the game will continue developing his character as it has with the rest of the Rust Crew.

What an underrated gem, though. This is the type of niche game that we would be begging for to come to the PC, like vanquish. I'm thankful we have it on PC and that someone convinced sega at the time that this was a reasonable decision.

derExperte

There's been a couple times where I've notice prominent STEAM GAF members making absolutely asinine threads/posts on OT.

And I'm rarely surprised. People are often like 'nooo, really?' and I'm like 'did you seriously not realize that there was something very wrong with that dude?'. If anything some in here need to develop better people skills.

So shadownet is either a willfully ignorant racist or a naive racist? Poor guy. I hope he doesn't say anything he might regret in the future.

Speaking of race: I got to chapter 4 of binary domain. I gotta hand it to them, these are some of the most well realized characters in a shooter I've played. They seem authentic outside of Bo maybe being a bit too close to a stereotype than I care for. But I trust that the game will continue developing his character as it has with the rest of the Rust Crew.

What an underrated gem, though. This is the type of niche game that we would be begging for to come to the PC, like vanquish. I'm thankful we have it on PC and that someone convinced sega at the time that this was a reasonable decision.

YOU SOUND LIKE A SCRAP LOVE TO ME SON!

But seriously I agree, it does character development really well surprisingly for the type of game it is.

Uzzy

Endless Legend is accessible and one of the best around. I adore the fantasy world Amplitude have built for it, and the factions are wonderfully diverse and really change the nature of the game you play. It's far better than Civ 5.

The Paradox series of Grand Strategy Games, mainly Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, are top notch. CK2 is more character focused, built around improving your families fortunes and establishing your dynasty, while EU4 is country focused. Both span immense timespans and you can really let your alternative history desires run wild.

On the opposite scale to Paradox, I'd also recommend the Wargame series by Eugen. They're real time tactics, like Company of Heroes, with no base building and a focus building up a combined arms force of NATO/Warsaw Pact units, with an emphasis on recon and logistics. Eugen are also bringing out Act of Aggression next month, which is more of a throw back to base building and Command and Conquer.

Grief.exe

The struggle is real.

Have you played Monster Hunter before? It's the same type of game, so if you enjoy MH you'll probably like Toukiden. I haven't actually played it myself, so I can't help you farther than that.

edit: Damn, did Toukiden bomb? only ~5,500 sales and it released at the end of June. :(
Not surprising with that horrendous price

No resolution greater than 1080p, framerate tied to 30 FPS, no mouse support, online required. Tecmo is really taking the piss at this point
did I do that right Europeans?

I thought Skylake gains were kinda blasé?

I'm still on an i5 Sandybridge, which will have some fairly significant framerate advantages to upgrading.

Eurogamer is showing a double digit frame increase in essentially every test for an 2600k to a 6700k. With the performance gap becoming even wider from the 2500k benchamarks. These aren't massive gains considering how great Sandy was, but, like I said, I have the itch to upgrade right now.

I am waiting on DX12 benchmarks to see if that data can break the i7 away from the pack to really justify the HT.

derExperte

No resolution greater than 1080p, framerate tied to 30 FPS, no mouse support, online required. Tecmo is really taking the piss at this point
did I do that right Europeans?

Damn those masterracers and their inflated sense of entitlement, can't even release a barebones port for an absurd price and rake in the cash these days.

I'm still on an i5 Sandybridge, which will have some fairly significant framerate advantages to upgrading.

Eurogamer is showing a double digit frame increase in essentially every test for an 2600k to a 6700k. With the performance gap becoming even wider from the 2500k benchamarks. These aren't massive gains considering how great Sandy was, but, like I said, I have the itch to upgrade right now.

I am waiting on DX12 benchmarks to see if that data can break the i7 away from the pack to really justify the HT.

Those benchmarks are telling me that my overclocked 2500K will be perfectly fine* for 60fps gaming for at least another year. And I highly doubt HT will ever be worth the (in this case noticeable) premium for gamers, we should have gotten real six cores from Intel by now in this price range. Asking almost 400€ for the same old 4+HT doesn't sit right with me. Please AMD, do something fast.

*lowest fps go under that in some games but I can deal with occasional dips or turn down some stuff and even the 6700 struggles in GTA with those settings

mjc

It's really accessible, but it lacks some depth compared to Civ 5. The troop types are really few, and combat is actually pretty simple. It's fun, it has great art/design, but it's a bit lacking. Enjoyable, but not comparable to Civ 5.

Tried Dawn of War II? It has a really great campaign. Multiplayer is not so fun in my opinion, but if you liked Company of Heroes you're gonna like it.

Endless Legend is accessible and one of the best around. I adore the fantasy world Amplitude have built for it, and the factions are wonderfully diverse and really change the nature of the game you play. It's far better than Civ 5.

The Paradox series of Grand Strategy Games, mainly Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, are top notch. CK2 is more character focused, built around improving your families fortunes and establishing your dynasty, while EU4 is country focused. Both span immense timespans and you can really let your alternative history desires run wild.

On the opposite scale to Paradox, I'd also recommend the Wargame series by Eugen. They're real time tactics, like Company of Heroes, with no base building and a focus building up a combined arms force of NATO/Warsaw Pact units, with an emphasis on recon and logistics. Eugen are also bringing out Act of Aggression next month, which is more of a throw back to base building and Command and Conquer.

Awesome, I'll start there! I've never really had a gaming PC so I have a fair bit of a backlog to work through! The worldbuilding in Endless Legend seems interesting, maybe I'll dive into that before I even think about Civ 5.

Just read through most of the thread and shadow's posts. It's not only that it's very poorly worded but also the ideas are weird. I am confused as I know him and don't want to believe he had bad intentions.
I am just shocked at how he could have such ideas and not think them through. Realize how illogical they are. And then even post it.

Want to pull the trigger on an Ncase/Skylake/M.2 build so bad, the upgrade itch is real.

kUCMK8p.jpg

Would prefer to have everyone on top rather than the bottom, but definitely looks nice.

I really need to give my case an overhaul when I buy a new SSD. Needs a bit of a clean and should probably redo the cable management while I'm at it.

Anteater

finished enigmatis 2 and left in the dark: no one on board, left in the dark was pretty short, beat it in like 2hrs, going to play clockwork tales next.

and man the witcher 3 is a slow burner, I think it's going to take me 2 years to beat it.

For those who got in on the big Marvin's MIttens Desura key giveaway, did anyone manage to also get a Steam key? I PM'd the dev but he's unresponsive.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just read through most of the thread and shadow's posts. It's not only that it's very poorly worded but also the ideas are weird. I am confused as I know him and don't want to believe he had bad intentions.
I am just shocked at how he could have such ideas and not think them through. Realize how illogical they are. And then even post it.

That plus septupling down on stupidity throughout the thread when confronted is just baffling.

Like, even a normal person with dumb, abhorent beliefs would have realized when to quit.

Lmfa at that thread, i would've never made a thread like that, certain things you cant discuss here

Yeah, the moderation takes a pretty hard stance against dumb racist shit you should have figured out was dumb racist shit sometime after gaining the ability to process sensory information.

Admodieus

Was looking for a game with controller support to play from my couch so I just picked up Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition. Also trying to decide whether I should buy Axiom Verge or Ori first (aka which will go on sale for a lower amount this fall).

Anteater

Ori is cool and it's definitely well made, I'm surprised at the GOTY mentions on gaf though, but maybe there just aren't a lot of games of the same genre nowadays

Grief.exe

Damn those masterracers and their inflated sense of entitlement, can't even release a barebones port for an absurd price and rake in the cash these days.

Consumers with standards, who would have thought?

Please AMD, do something fast.

Performance upgrades from previous Intel chips range from non-existent to mediocre. We need competition.
The Microsoft buyout rumor for AMD was actually quite interesting, then they would have the R&D capital required to at least compete with Intel.

Would prefer to have everyone on top rather than the bottom, but definitely looks nice.

I'm guessing you are referring to the case buttons? That may conflict with the design as you have the potential to place a vertical slim DVD drive or two SSDs in the front compartment near the top. The former is likely the conflicting portion.

The size dictates it is more meant to be placed on top of a desk, which would also explain the button placement.

Here is the Ncase build gallery, I'm really interested in doing a CPU/GPU watercooled loop. Needless to say, but this is one of the most configurable and fully featured cases I have ever seen.

Was looking for a game with controller support to play from my couch so I just picked up Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition. Also trying to decide whether I should buy Axiom Verge or Ori first (aka which will go on sale for a lower amount this fall).

Myself, and many others in this thread, ultimately found Shadow of Mordor to be very mediocre.

But Skylake boards use DDR4 right? I would switch over just for that. Previously only 2011 could use it.

For gaming applications, DDR4 accounts for a negligible performance gain.

That plus septupling down on stupidity throughout the thread when confronted is just baffling.

Like, even a normal person with dumb, abhorent beliefs would have realized when to quit.

Yeah, the moderation takes a pretty hard stance against dumb racist shit you should have figured out was dumb racist shit sometime after gaining the ability to process sensory information.
Why you being so hostile tho? Im on your side, what i meant was that you should be able to tell that what you typed up came out a bit racist, and gaf doesnt take to kindly to any kind of racism and it shouldve been posted elsewhere.

Kyougar

Man, if they can't release SC this year, I probably won't buy it until it's 75% off. I know they've been trying and it's not their fault, but my interest in the game is 90% gone by this point. I supported FC, buying multiple PSP and Steam copies, but the iron has long cooled off. The main reason I still plan to buy this year is because I still have a small desire to support the release of the series in the west.

:( same. I was thinking half a year after FC comes SC... but no....

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Shadownet ban is one month long.

He got pretty lucky.

Why you being so hostile tho? Im on your side, what i meant was that you should be able to tell that what you typed up came out a bit racist, and gaf doesnt take to kindly to any kind of racism and it shouldve been posted elsewhere.

My tone is only hostile if you disagree with me.

Otherwise, we're agreeing and we shouldn't have a problem.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom