• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

A few more titles that might be of interest this month.

The Great Whale Road:
This was a failed kickstarter that I had my eye on late last year, so I'm glad to see that the team managed to get the game out regardless. It's reminiscent of Banner Saga, in that you take charge of a clan and lead them through harsh environments and crises, with occasional combat taking place on a turn-based, hex map. It's a historical setting though, dark ages, seventh century AD though, and set in the North Sea. I look forward to pillaging Yorkshire!

This is the Police:
A story driven, management simulator, This is the Police sees you take the role of a classic, gritty police chief, 180 days away from retirement, who just wants some peace and quiet and a nice stack of bills. But the city, the mafia and the mayor won't let that happen without a fight. You'll have to investigate crimes, try and combat the mafia's maneuverings, answer questions at a press conference, hire and fire your police officers and somehow try to put $500,000 away for your retirement.

The Turing Test:
So this one could be really good. It's a first person puzzle game with a distinctly sci-fi theme, set on Europa. I hope it can deliver on the philosophical issues promised by it's title, exploring the nature of human and artificial consciousness while also being a good puzzler. It's certainly got the atmosphere down right, from what I can see in the trailer.

I'm still dying for a release date on Expeditions: Viking. II haven't heard a peep about it, but their previous game has filled me with great expectations. Unfortunately, its 2016 release window is becoming less and less likely every day now...
You know what we need on Steam?

-Rune Factory Frontier
-Deadly Creatures
-De Blob 2
-Sonic Colors

Yes I know one of these companies is closed, but we need this.

Xenoblade Chronicles is tied to Nintendo, isn't it?
Monolith Soft is a Nintendo studio, yeah. The masterminds behind Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Anteater

I'm enjoying Ryse

so repetitive

but at least I don't have to drive a batmobile to the repetitive part

game sure looks goood

ryse_2016_08_01_14_03o5znx.jpg
ryse_2016_08_01_14_302dyxa.jpg

Doom crashing with Vulkan is a thing right?

Tizoc

-Rune Factory Frontier
-Deadly Creatures
-De Blob 2
-Sonic Colors

Xenoblade Chronicles is tied to Nintendo, isn't it?
Cosign but there are also
Klonona 1+2
Zak and wiki
Trauma center series
Cing's games

Off the top of my head for now

Anteater

Yeah but some people had crashed pre Vulkan too. I get some crashes with Vulkan enabled but i have played since that big patch that just came out. Hopefully the game becomes more stable.

good to know it's not my video card, freaked me out since it's one of the first games I tried lol

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-1DE83FD8962F5A97 - Taken by flashbandit16

I enjoy reading No Man's Sky 'spoilers' nowadays. Still doesn't sold me on the game though.

-Rune Factory Frontier
-Deadly Creatures
-De Blob 2
-Sonic Colors

I'd play Rune Factory on PC. I can't even imagine a Rune Factory game on full HD, haven't tried it on Dolphin.

I do wonder what the Rune Factory / Harvest Moon peeps are thinking about now that Stardew Valley has taken over the world.
I'm enjoying Ryse

so repetitive

but at least I don't have to drive a batmobile to the repetitive part

game sure looks goood

Ice cold. But ice true, too.

The sad part is, Arkham Knightmare has the best combat in the series...when it isn't pausing for a half-second on gadget use.

Terra_Ex

I'm still dying for a release date on Expeditions: Viking. II haven't heard a peep about it, but their previous game has filled me with great expectations. Unfortunately, its 2016 release window is becoming less and less likely every day now...
Same, been hyped ever since they announced they were addressing my number one issue with Conquistador - giving your character an actual avatar to participate in battles/scenes, etc. Everything I've seen so far looks great.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they've already announced it's been delayed until Q1 2017.

Ozium

The backlash against No Man's Sky is going to be intense, I fear. The game looks janky as fuck, I kind of want to buy it.

Ludens

Banned
The backlash against No Man's Sky is going to be intense, I fear. The game looks janky as fuck, I kind of want to buy it.

Janky I don't know, but for me it seems having no goal. I mean ok, I explore the planet, grabbing some resources, killing some people while on my ship and what?
What's the goal? Do I need to do this for 600 hours?

AHA-Lambda

Aside from its scale, I just don't see anything different in it from the average survival exploration game on Steam nowadays :-/

Same, been hyped ever since they announced they were addressing my number one issue with Conquistador - giving your character an actual avatar to participate in battles/scenes, etc. Everything I've seen so far looks great.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they've already announced it's been delayed until Q1 2017.

What?! Dammit. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Divinity: Original Sin 2, even Expeditions: Viking.... Everything was 2017. (in DOS2's case, it's really only a matter of time before the announce the delay.)

Well. At least 2016 is shaping up to be the best Year of Strategy since I started making that up. It's been good to me.

Arthea

the real thread banner should have been featuring this:

I see total lack of even mention of possible goty that releases tomorrow already.
Why steamgaf?

Janky I don't know, but for me it seems having no goal. I mean ok, I explore the planet, grabbing some resources, killing some people while on my ship and what?

the goal is exploring the galaxy. How's that not a goal again?
like reaching centre of the galaxy for example? (everybody starts on far outskirts)

accel

A few more titles that might be of interest this month.

The Great Whale Road:
This was a failed kickstarter that I had my eye on late last year, so I'm glad to see that the team managed to get the game out regardless. It's reminiscent of Banner Saga, in that you take charge of a clan and lead them through harsh environments and crises, with occasional combat taking place on a turn-based, hex map. It's a historical setting though, dark ages, seventh century AD though, and set in the North Sea. I look forward to pillaging Yorkshire!

Thanks for this! Wishlisted. (The other two I knew already.)

---
BTW, regarding all the Darkest Dungeon talk in the previous thread, to which I was late, eg:

zkylon said:
yeah i'm kind of really loving darkest dungeon so far

game's really addictive in that xcom kind of way, you're always upgrading something and discovering something and getting a little bit better at it and the game's got real tension to it but also a slow sense of mastery that means that if you're careful you're (generally) gonna get everyone out ok

i also enjoy that the game kind of lets you take risks at your own pace which means (so far) i don't really feel like that xcom sense of racing against the game because the enemies. similarly being able to just say fuck it and leave mid mission takes out some of the tension which i suppose makes the game not hardcore enough for some people but for me it's really enjoyable as it is

i also don't know why ppl got so mad over heart attacks and corpses. corpses i feel add an interesting layer of strategy to the game since working around them is just a matter of being smart. heart attacks have so far been mostly a non factor, i've had one guy die of one but eh, not a big deal

darkest dungeon is awesome

...I fully support that Darkest Dungeon is awesome (if a bit grindy later on, but that's fine by me) - and here is a nice playlist regarding Darkest Dungeon from Northernlion, which turned me to the game, maybe someone finds it helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhVA17lgb0M&index=1&list=PL1bauNEiHIgxmkiBEuXM0ewtTNFt3tjY0

(You obviously don't have to watch through the entire playlist, watch the first episode and then maybe watch one-two random episodes in the middle if you like what you see.)

Will pick up No Man's Sky for sure.

Not so sure about Deus Ex. Really liked Human Revolution, but I will wait and see with this sequel. There's something about that publisher that makes me a bit worried.

But it's been an awesome year for games so far. All of the games I have picked up so far have turned out to be excellent.

The Witness
XCOM2
Day of the Tentacle: Remastered
Offworld Trading Company
Firewatch
Overwatch
The Witcher III: Blood & Wine
Headlander

The goal is to reach the center of the galaxy.

From what I've read, the leaker needed
35 hours to achieve it.
He's mostly rushed through the content though.

Yes, the backlash will be intense. Not because of the content, but because of the leaks and people's expectation from No Man's Sky.

Also, I predict there will be 'Why u no play the game the way it's intended?' vs 'Nobody ain't gonna dictate me how to play the damn game!' crowds post release.

Ludens

Banned
The goal is to reach the center of the galaxy.

From what I've read, the leaker needed
35 hours to achieve it.
He's mostly rushed through the content though.

Yes, the backlash will be intense. Not because of the content, but because of the leaks and people's expectation from No Man's Sky.

Also, I predict there will be 'Why u no play the game the way it's intended?' vs 'Nobody ain't gonna dictate me how to play the damn game!' crowds post release.

Eh, but what I mean is, the goal is here or it's just there to give the player something to achieve? Is there a proper plot with missions, different objectives, or you simply keep wandering after you find the centre of the galaxy, just to see a 15 seconds video and keep exploring after the credits?
I'm not shitting on the game or whatever, because I'm very interested in it, but I'm trying to understand how much repetitive is the game, and for me there's need to be a story in which I should be invested, otherwise I can't keep playing :S

Wok

the real thread banner should have been featuring this:

I see total lack of even mention of possible goty that releases tomorrow already.
Why steamgaf?

Maybe because the min specs require 2 GB VRAM. The game is on my list of potentially unplayable games along with:
  • Ghost of a Tale
  • Obduction

Aside from its scale, I just don't see anything different in it from the average survival exploration game on Steam nowadays :-/

It's going to be a big hit because those kinds of games aren't very prevalent on consoles. Meanwhile they constitute half of all early access games on Steam. I still feel that it'll be interesting for a while to explore new planets and do stuff but eventually repetition will kick in and the game's depth will evaporate. Unless the devs have managed to solve this problem with procedurally generated content that no one else ever has. I'm glad I got the game in a price mistake because I'm not sure I'll play it for too long.

On the other hand I'm really looking forward to Deus Ex. I'm optimistic that they won't mess it up because the last one was great but there's still a nagging feeling in my mind that they'll announce it's always online or something like that at the last minute. We still don't know what is going to be in the season pass right?

Abzu looks great but it's going to get mired in Gone Home style price vs length debates.

Also the Dota 2 International starts in a couple of days. Most exciting time of the year for the Dota community.

Wok

If the game is anything like Eingana was 15 years ago, it will be a huge disappointment. The game was already using procedural generation with "fractal magic secret stuff".

Eingana Virtual 3D World Atlas is a full scale three dimensional replica of our planet. With an intriguing combination of both Atlas and Video Adventure, step into the shoes of a great explorer and travel the world.

Eingana Virtual 3D World Atlas uses eight databases: topography, imagery, meteorology, place names, fauna and flora, hydrographic networks and sea floors. Discover the true realism of satellite images throughout the planet. You'll need more than a lifetime to discover it all!

Discover more than 100 species of animals (reptiles, mammals, endangered species, marsupials, tropical birds&) and some mythical creatures too! In a forest, on top of a mountain or underwater, you will encounter the living beings of our planet.

which turned into:

https://youtu.be/jUM3car63Os?t=6m36s

Speevy

Banned
I think No Man's Sky will end up being what detractors of LittleBigPlanet criticized this game for.

Endless stuff, no fun.

(not my opinion)

I know that "what do you do in No Man's Sky" is a meme at this point, but I'm really not a "make up your own fun" kind of person, that and most content being automatically generated gave me pause.

accel

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (blackcrane, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Bits --- -- MB-49CA958F2AA22BF4
Particula --- -- MB-5B4122D356936A03
Terablaster --- -- MB-A8A3E3CF78F5B7ED
GabeN -- MB-C5D124B78F110BE9 - Taken by KainXVIII. 1 entrants total.
Incoming Forces --- -- MB-C1899DC4C0C0CA5B
Brilliant Bob --- -- MB-8DD78E0BB6280C74 - Taken by Hakkelus. 1 entrants total.

t1470041831z1.png

jonno394

My STEAM aims for this month:

1) Don't get bored while playing Talos Principle and endeavour to finish the game
2) Don't buy any new games
3) Clear at least 3 games from my backlog (looking at finishing Talos Principle, LEGO: LOTR and Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty at least)

Looking at the release schedule for this month, I don't think i'll break number 2, unless there are some good bundles this month :hmm:

I think No Man's Sky will end up being what detractors of LittleBigPlanet criticized this game for.

Endless stuff, no fun.

(not my opinion)

I feel the game will not be varied enouth, for all the procedurally generated stuff they talk about, most of what they've shown looks very similar.

Parsnip

Too many games coming out this month.
Nothing pre-ordered though, going to have to wait and see how things shake with some of them.

Anteater

Grief, I can't find the thread but you mentioned God Hand in one of those threads about capcom ports

Do you know something we don't

I do wonder what the Rune Factory / Harvest Moon peeps are thinking about now that Stardew Valley has taken over the world.

Ice cold. But ice true, too.

The sad part is, Arkham Knightmare has the best combat in the series...when it isn't pausing for a half-second on gadget use.

i don't feel like playing it :( like how I don't feel like playing rise of the TR due to all the additional exploring stuff, I just wanna explore some tombs man D:

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Empire Universe 3: Legendary Pack -- MB-8C00CEE59B787C69

Hakkelus

After the release of No mans sky it will be fun to watch the battle between different groups: haters, lovers, indifferent, trolls.. Can't wait. :)

AHA-Lambda

Idk the next few months feel fairly quiet to me :/

But most of what's coming out I want are indie/smaller titles that have no set date for this year still.

Apart from Deus Ex, Dishonored and South Park the AAA front is empty for me this fall (again).

1) Don't get bored while playing Talos Principle and endeavour to finish the game

Still have that unplayed since last years summer sale. I liked the demo, and it seems well regarded, but most people also seem to give the impression of the game being somewhat of a chore.

i don't feel like playing it :( like how I don't feel like playing rise of the TR due to all the additional exploring stuff, I just wanna explore some tombs man D:

TR2013 was a big surprise, but TR2013-2 is firmly a Christmas sale game for me. Mostly because I'm really keen on trying the Endurance mode, which is... a little pricey right now, alongside the game.

Value is a funny thing. Like, Call of the Beastmen DLC for Total Warhammer at about ~CDN$18? No problem! Endurance Mode for TR2013-2 at CDN$11? Get out!

Anteater

jasec I see you're playing the witcher 3, are you planning to explore every corner of the map..?

I hope the new deus ex doesn't run like crap on my computer

TR2013 was a big surprise, but TR2013-2 is firmly a Christmas sale game for me. Mostly because I'm really keen on trying the Endurance mode, which is... a little pricey right now, alongside the game.

yeah it's a bit samey, even tho it is a better game

kagamin

After the release of No mans sky it will be fun to watch the battle between different groups: haters, lovers, indifferent, trolls.. Can't wait. :)

I'm not buying it, because there are already tons of games coming that I want that I'm not getting, I have priorites here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom