• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
a14.jpg

I feel kinda bad for hoping it fails, as it could help some modders monetarily, but keep my mods free.

Your mods are still free.

Orgen

But if its that easy to get Konami to allow that then why hasn't anyone else done it? Especially Sony who has been moneyhatting everything they can get their hands on for several years now. I mean they even moneyhat marketing rights and forbid devs from talking about other versions.

In a world where some much money is exchanged between corporate suits for the sleaziest shit...somehow its NVidia gets the rights to a port like this. It just doesn't compute.

Sony doesn't need the HD versions of MGS on PS4. It's already selling a lot without them. Besides, the last time Sony hired a company to port a game for one of its dead platforms it was an absolutely disaster (RE:R2 on Vita). Microsoft I don't know but if Nintendo is close with Nvidia (as it seems) maybe they can get the ports on Switch too (but I don't think it'll happen).

Just going by the prices on the trailer and the currency prices, it seems kinda ridiculous... a single gun (Prototype Guass Rifle) costs 500 Bethesda Bucks and a pack of 750 BB's costs $7.99.

Nete

Looks MUCH better than the first one, specially graphics wise

But then again it is not hard as the original was one of the most boring games graphically I have on steam

DK Action Squad seems just a small spin-off, not even developed by the same guys (or, at least, not only by them).

Door Kickers 2 (new engine, Rangers instead SWAT...) is still coming, but God knows when. Maybe at fall this year, probably 2018.

Nzyme32

Fallout 4 paid mods are here

a14.jpg

I feel kinda bad for hoping it fails, as it could help some modders monetarily, but keep my mods free.

I concur - but in the end it is entirely up to "the market". If you don't like it don't buy it. It's that simple.

That's also why it looks like I'll buy FFXV against my better judgement. Not managed to get into an FF game properly yet (though there are other JRPGs I do like a lot), but the support for all the good stuff I expect and modding leads to lots of interesting possibities.

Pixieking

Banned
Just going by the prices on the trailer and the currency prices, it seems kinda ridiculous... a single gun (Prototype Guass Rifle) costs 500 Bethesda Bucks and a pack of 750 BB's costs $7.99.

I have nothing against paid mods... But using SpaceBucks to do it? Hell no. Every SpaceBucks system I've used, I've either had to top-up more than I need because I'm short of 100, but the minimum buy is 500, or I've had some stupid amount left and nothing to buy.

Grug

I have nothing against paid mods... But using SpaceBucks to do it? Hell no. Every SpaceBucks system I've used, I've either had to top-up more than I need because I'm short of 100, but the minimum buy is 500, or I've had some stupid amount left and nothing to buy.

59285d1447403818-final-vote-official-aff-nickname-iandsmoney.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
Fallout 4 paid mods are here

my initial impression of this is pretty bad, depending on what kind of work situation these modders have, but it just looks like it's bethesda outsourcing dlc

that's shitty because these modders are earning only a cut of the profit while they've done all the work, while they probably have no sort of working rights whatsoever and just get a paycheck like a private contractor

this has been said before but this is not a healthy work situation for the people making the games we all love, even if these are 'just modders', they're turning a profit for bethesda and as such they should have a proper working situation

that being said, this is even less transparent than before so we can't really know. i don't see a link to a contract or anything in their website

sixclaws

Banned
No...
I wanted to get Clustertruck from the bundle but I check thru my games collection, categorizing as I go and boom there it is.
When I did this game lol
Same goes for Flame in the Flood.

Humble Bundle? Clustertruck was in a bundle a few months ago and Flame in the Flood was in a monthly.

No...
I wanted to get Clustertruck from the bundle but I check thru my games collection, categorizing as I go and boom there it is.
When I did this game lol
Same goes for Flame in the Flood.

Flame in the Flood was in a Monthly Bundle a few months ago. Clustertruck was in the Humble Tinybuild Bundle that ran for two weeks. Either you bought it there or won it off a raffle.

Mivey

my initial impression of this is pretty bad, depending on what kind of work situation these modders have, but it just looks like it's bethesda outsourcing dlc

that's shitty because these modders are earning only a cut of the profit while they've done all the work, while they probably have no sort of working rights whatsoever and just get a paycheck like a private contractor

this has been said before but this is not a healthy work situation for the people making the games we all love, even if these are 'just modders', they're turning a profit for bethesda and as such they should have a proper working situation

that being said, this is even less transparent than before so we can't really know. i don't see a link to a contract or anything in their website
This could have all been organized through Steam Workshop, but people raised too much of a shit, so Valve backed away, and now Beth is going it alone, given them an even greater cut. People are idiots.

Pixieking

Banned

Haha

*cries*

This could have all been organized through Steam Workshop, but people raised too much of a shit, so Valve backed away, and now Beth is going it alone, given them an even greater cut. People are idiots.

Yup... People thinking Valve are eeeeeeeevilllllll, and totally misunderstanding what they were trying to do. Good job guys - now we have Bethesda doing paid mods with SpaceBucks, which means they make a profit from the people buying SpaceBucks, and the modders get a shittier deal.

There's a large, noisy crowd of bloody ignorant consumers in this industry.

Madventure

The thing I always thought was funny about the arguments back and forth was people saying was just put a big prominent tip jar thing and it would solve all the problems.

It was like the equivalent of saying they were going to pay for WinRar any day now. Annnny day now.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel your argument is really flawed on many aspects

1- don't blame people for something they're not responsible for. this exists because bethesda willed it, people acted on their right to voice their discontent. no one asked for this except bethesda, blame where blame's due

2- you're arguing it's preferable giving money to valve than bethesda. this is just your opinion, i personally think both of them are being leechy off people actually doing work, but in the end it's bethesda's IP and they have way more of a right to a % of the profit than walmart valve. at least bethesda like made the game lol

3- the steam workshop wouldn't have been an improvement. you really trust valve to disallow people from selling copyright infringing, broken, useless shit?

but most importantly, "raised too much shit" is ignoring the VERY LEGITIMATE reasons people had to raise that shit

it wasn't the time or the way, valve and bethesda profiting of something that people did for the love of doing it and for fun and learning and community and shit, it was pretty fucking gross on top of probably a really bad idea.

modding isn't modding if you don't have thomas the tank engine dragons and nude mods and other broken shit that just don't fit the real world

this creators club thing makes a lot more sense, even if i disagree with outsourcing work this way (tho again no transparency from beth so who knows what kind of deal they're giving people)

dex3108

i feel your argument is really flawed on many aspects

1- don't blame people for something they're not responsible for. this exists because bethesda willed it, people acted on their right to voice their discontent. no one asked for this except bethesda, blame where blame's due

2- you're arguing it's preferable giving money to valve than bethesda. this is just your opinion, i personally think both of them are being leechy off people actually doing work, but in the end it's bethesda's IP and they have way more of a right to a % of the profit than walmart valve. at least bethesda like made the game lol

3- the steam workshop wouldn't have been an improvement. you really trust valve to disallow people from selling copyright infringing, broken, useless shit?

but most importantly, "raised too much shit" is ignoring the VERY LEGITIMATE reasons people had to raise that shit

it wasn't the time or the way, valve and bethesda profiting of something that people did for the love of doing it and for fun and learning and community and shit, it was pretty fucking gross on top of probably a really bad idea.

modding isn't modding if you don't have thomas the tank engine dragons and nude mods and other broken shit that just don't fit the real world

this creators club thing makes a lot more sense, even if i disagree with outsourcing work this way (tho again no transparency from beth so who knows what kind of deal they're giving people)

Contracts for Twitch or YouTube partners are not public either for example. Those kind of things are never public. Also this is different from previous attempt where Bethesda did absolute nothing and asked for a cut. Now Bethesda is offering platform for mod/DLC distribution, checks every mod for compatibility, offers support from in house devs, gives money to mod dev in advanced and checks every idea before offering contracts. As far as I know dev schedule is up to developer and Bethesda is just making sure that devs stick to it. All in all Bethesda is now doing a lot more work than before. And in the end you are building things for their IP and in most cases when you are using somebodys IP you need to license for that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Contracts for Twitch or YouTube partners are not public either for example. Those kind of things are never public. Also this is different from previous attempt where Bethesda did absolute nothing and asked for a cut. Now Bethesda is offering platform for mod/DLC distribution, checks every mod for compatibility, offers support from in house devs, gives money to mod dev in advanced and checks every idea before offering contracts. As far as I know dev schedule is up to developer and Bethesda is just making sure that devs stick to it. All in all Bethesda is now doing a lot more work than before. And in the end you are building things for their IP and in most cases when you are using somebodys IP you need to license for that.
yeah i definitely think this is an improvement, i just dislike this as a precedent if it means bad working conditions for contractors

i hope beth isn't earning their share at ours and modders' expense

Pixieking

Banned
The Steam Workshop Paid Mods page is still up. It's worth taking a look at... We don't know the Bethesda contracts (due to a lack of transparency), but I doubt it's much better than what Valve was planning to do. *shrugs*

Edit: Ah, 25%, which is (or was?) the same as TF2/DOTA2 modder's revenue. Bethesda probably pays better than that, but I would be very surprised if it's as much as an even 50/50 split.

Madventure

The Steam Workshop Paid Mods page is still up. It's worth taking a look at... We don't know the Bethesda contracts (due to a lack of transparency), but I doubt it's much better than what Valve was planning to do. *shrugs*

Edit: Ah, 25%, which is (or was?) the same as TF2/DOTA2 modder's revenue. Bethesda probably pays better than that, but I would be very surprised if it's as much as an even 50/50 split.

25% is the same skin creators get in Rust as well

Funny enough a Musician chimed in and said it's mostly the same or somewhat standard for that too, so Dunno

Where I got my information

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
noone picked up Distrust I take it, judging from the lack of impressions?

Pixieking

Banned
25% is the same skin creators get in Rust as well

Funny enough a Musician chimed in and said it's mostly the same or somewhat standard for that too, so Dunno

Where I got my information

Huh... I wonder if Bethesda actually do the same, then, and just say it's "industry standard".

25% for the modders sounds so fucked to me

i guess that's capitalism for ya

As you say, it's Bethesda (or Valve or whoever) IP - think of it less that modders are being paid 25%, and more that the costs involved, plus use of IP without having to stress about C&D orders, takes 75%.

Freezard

Why does the Steam version of Quake Champions cost money when I already have the beta for free? I thought the full game would be free as well?

zkylon

zkylewd
As you say, it's Bethesda (or Valve or whoever) IP - think of it less that modders are being paid 25%, and more that the costs involved, plus use of IP without having to stress about C&D orders, takes 75%.
i'm pretty comfortable thinking it's totally fucked cos it is lol

copyright is so fucking bullshit

like i don't think anyone would disagree to bethesda getting money for their ip being used but 75% when they do absolutely nothing is miserable no matter how much the ip is worth

then again valve taking 30% is already too much

like i don't think anyone would disagree to bethesda getting money for their ip being used but 75% when they do absolutely nothing is miserable no matter how much the ip is worth

Speaking of copyright, do Valve and Bethesda also get sued if modder stole assets?

Pixieking

Banned

Et tu, Zkylon? :'(

Also, I should hasten to add that we don't know how much Bethesda is getting, it just wouldn't surprise me if it were something in the range of 65-75%.

Aaron D.

I freely donated to the Farming Simulator Courseplay mod 'cause I realized it was an invaluable tool for the game. It basically automates A.I. routines that can simulate multiplayer production routines in a single-player environment.

I'm cool with paying for mods that go above and beyond.

But the Bethesda "space bucks" monetization scheme feels skeezy as hell. Like they're profiting off the backs of mod developers. And this is coming from a no-shame Bethesda Studios fanboy.

I guess we'll see how it develops. Perhaps the market will self-correct on the value proposition (lol @ paying $5 for a single gun).

In the end it feels like corporate interests trying to monetize the hard work and goodwill of the modding community to line their own pockets. And that feels both manipulative & exploitative as hell.

Why does the Steam version of Quake Champions cost money when I already have the beta for free? I thought the full game would be free as well?
The paid version gives you all the current and future characters. The f2p version will only start you off with Ranger. Players that were in the closed beta currently have early access support through Bethesda launcher, but to play on Steam you need to get the character pack to play in the early access period.

Madventure

Speaking of copyright, do Valve and Bethesda also get sued if modder stole assets?

https://trello.com/b/vFDxcF1D/skin-approval

That's how the Rust Devs go through item skin approval, so I would assume at a minimum unless it's something vague or whatever it would generally get caught

The Devs usually catch most things but most of the playerbase is quick to go "OH MY GOD THAT'S JUST SOMETHING FROM GOOGLE IMAGE RESULT #58!" DELETE IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom