• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

saelz8

Was messing with SteamID settings and saw this. I don't think it was there before.

Customization
Custom CSS: Coming Soon! This feature will let you enter your own CSS to style your profile page however you like it.

Teknopathetic said:
Yeah, unless the TF2 announcement is ZOMG TF2 EARLY ACCESS TODAY11!!1! we'll be playing Race on Sunday. Bring your wheels!
What TF2 Announcement? Didn't Shawn say they were gonna do a beta? ZOMG BETA TODAY?!?!? (maybe)

"What TF2 Announcement? Didn't Shawn say they were gonna do a beta? ZOMG BETA TODAY?!?!? (maybe)"

The Valve Steam marketing update about TF2 says there's going to be an announcement on Tuesday and that you shouldn't plan your vacation until you hear it.

Teknopathetic said:
"What TF2 Announcement? Didn't Shawn say they were gonna do a beta? ZOMG BETA TODAY?!?!? (maybe)"

The Valve Steam marketing update about TF2 says there's going to be an announcement on Tuesday and that you shouldn't plan your vacation until you hear it.
*faps* But really if they did announce TF2 Beta then I am pretty sure my family wouldn't see me for a few days.

fallout

Quellex said:
Was messing with SteamID settings and saw this. I don't think it was there before.

Customization
Custom CSS: Coming Soon! This feature will let you enter your own CSS to style your profile page however you like it.
This scares me. I mean, not that I spend that much time looking at SteamID pages, but I don't want it all to look like shit.

Daigoro

bah i CSS night off and i dont have any room on my HD to dl those mods. i really need to get another HD...

ill catch up with the CSS night one of these days.

Joe Molotov said:
They finally added a search function, so now you can search for users and/or groups.

finally.

Joe Molotov

Does anyone play DoD:S? I finally got around to getting it (only $9.95 on Steam now) and I've been playing some online matches, but I haven't noticed any gaffers online.

Spruchy

Joe Molotov said:
Does anyone play DoD:S? I finally got around to getting it (only $9.95 on Steam now) and I've been playing some online matches, but I haven't noticed any gaffers online.

I have it but dunno...really bad at it.

Chrono

Banned
Gotta few questions on Steam and this thread seems like an appropriate place to ask, thanks in advance for any answers.

1- does steam feel/look stutter-y to anyone? I'm talking about the store front, just scrolling up and down doesn't feel smooth... I don't know if it's my PC or the store is just like that. I'm using Vista home premium btw.

2- far cry... is this coming to steam? I don't follow up on PC news. Just googling it looks like Ubisoft is already on steam with one game but that's it, and far cry is available (or was) for free download with ads and on direct 2 drive, which is where I plan to get it if there's no hope for a steam version.

I'd really rather have all PC games in one place, hell I'm thinking about throwing out (not worth much in selling) company of heroes and buying it again on steam, I still haven't started playing it though and it just sits in my backlog.

3- regarding frame rates for PC games in general, considering games aren't optimized for a particular hardware one could get 60fps in one section and 20 fps in another... I suppose if I'm not sure about the hardware I'm using I could use the 30fps lock feature, if a game has it, but what if it doesn't or the hardware should be able to play the game at 60fps most of the time yet still there's no way to know that. Is it 80% of the time or 50% etc...

How do you (PC gamers) deal with this? Maybe I'm exaggerating this and frame rate changes aren't that annoying, I don't now.

M3wThr33

Banned
Uhh. Are you essentially asking if you COMPLETELY UNKNOWN hardware will run things at an arbitrary frame rate at an unknown detail level and unknown resolution?

Chrono said:
3- regarding frame rates for PC games in general, considering games aren't optimized for a particular hardware one could get 60fps in one section and 20 fps in another... I suppose if I'm not sure about the hardware I'm using I could use the 30fps lock feature, if a game has it, but what if it doesn't or the hardware should be able to play the game at 60fps most of the time yet still there's no way to know that. Is it 80% of the time or 50% etc...

How do you (PC gamers) deal with this? Maybe I'm exaggerating this and frame rate changes aren't that annoying, I don't now.

Fluctuations as big as that are pretty rare. If you can hold 60 most of the time, it'll probably be pretty rare that you dip below 40, if you ever do. If you're struggling at a certain framerate, that generally means that you should turn the detail down as framerates only spike in empty rooms and when you're looking straight at the wall and things like that.

Chrono

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Uhh. Are you essentially asking if you COMPLETELY UNKNOWN hardware will run things at an arbitrary frame rate at an unknown detail level and unknown resolution?

No.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Fluctuations as big as that are pretty rare. If you can hold 60 most of the time, it'll probably be pretty rare that you dip below 40, if you ever do. If you're struggling at a certain framerate, that generally means that you should turn the detail down as framerates only spike in empty rooms and when you're looking straight at the wall and things like that.

Thanks.

Rur0ni

On my brother's freshly formatted system, the store page lags horribly. He has an ATI card.

Runs like silk for my nVidia card though. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What the hell. I started up my computer upon arriving home from work, and Steam popped up with a notification thanking me for participating in the now-ended beta, and that I would be rolled back to the last final Steam release... only as far as I can tell, I still have Steam Community up and running...

saelz8

Mejilan said:
What the hell. I started up my computer upon arriving home from work, and Steam popped up with a notification thanking me for participating in the now-ended beta, and that I would be rolled back to the last final Steam release... only as far as I can tell, I still have Steam Community up and running...
Steam Community is a part of the regular client now. Hence it doesn't look any different.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh. I guess the wording made me think that I'd be rolled back to the older version of Steam. Neato.

BioHazard

Hey guys I just joined the NeoGAF Steam group. My steamid is BioHazard54 It'll be great to PC it up with you guys. Unfortunately, I have lost my account with all my games on it (CSS, HL2, 1.6 HL, DOD:S, etc.). I should be pre-ordering the Orange Box soon and I will once again be playing the latest Steam games. I have tried to contact Joe Molotov about his HL cd-key, but I haven't heard from him and I don't expect him to still have it :(. For now, all I really have that you guys play is the Race 07 Demo, which I've heard that we are playing tonight? Should be fun. Well anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. Hopefully, I will be back into the gaming loop with the Orange Box

M3wThr33

Banned
Quellex said:
Steam Community is a part of the regular client now. Hence it doesn't look any different.
I noticed they added more games to the "Favorite Games" part and the search engine, which is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned.

Wes

venison crêpe
Is there a quicker way to add members of the NeoGAF community as friends than having to click on each seperate profile and adding there?

saelz8

Wes said:
Is there a quicker way to add members of the NeoGAF community as friends than having to click on each seperate profile and adding there?
You want to add all of them? I would advise against it. (Unless I'm understanding you wrong)

I'm guessing GAF is your primary group, click the plus next to the group name in your friends list. It should drop down a list of everyone in the group. (I believe it only works with primary groups).

Quellex said:
You want to add all of them? I would advise against it. (Unless I'm understanding you wrong)

I'm guessing GAF is your primary group, click the plus next to the group name in your friends list. It should drop down a list of everyone in the group. (I believe it only works with primary groups).

Groups under 50 i believe. Cause it's not working on GAF group for me :p And its the primary.

Btw, i just got a "Thanks for participating the beta, STEAM will now restart to go back to normal" WTF?!?!?!?

*edit* Woot, nevermind, the final version has just been released ^^

adg1034

Well, I made it back to school, so I was finally able to hop on the Steam Community bandwagon (no broadband at home). Unfortunately, besides HL2 Deathmatch, I have no MP Steam games, so I guess I'll have to wait until TF2 week to take youse guys on.

fallout

ThaiGrocer said:
I can't tell the difference, but I approve of their constant updating over the past weeks.
Well, they fixed a few glaring issues over the first little bit, then they became more obscure as most of the big bugs were ironed out. I assume more features will be added in further releases.

adg1034

Is anyone else having a problem with links inside Steam? Seriously, it seems like more than half of them (whether on the front page or inside the Community tab) don't work at all. It's kind of annoying.

saelz8

Source Engine updated (Been long enough)

Fixed custom level sound lists under sv_pure

Fixed occasional scrunched-up columns in the serverbrowser

Fixed various memory leaks

Fixed a Half-Life 2: Deathmatch bug where a spectator could freeze a live player when mp_forcerespawn was 0

Fixed master server queries being truncated if too many players with long names

Fixed a Half-Life 2: Deathmatch bug where if you +used a weapon it would not respawn anymore

Fixed a Counter-Strike: Source smoke grenade exploit

Added a way for server plugins to ask players if they'd like to connect to a different server

Made materials handle sv_pure correctly when they've included other materials

Fixed Windows dedicated server bug slowing down Steam updates

Fixed certain models showing up all white when sv_pure flushed them

Made the server print a client's steam ID and show sv_pure warnings if sv_pure_kick_clients is 0

Fixed a Linux-only crash when loading certain custom maps

Fixed a bug preventing sv_pure CRCs from verifying correctly on certain custom maps

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Joe Molotov said:
Especially if you're really bad at Counter-Strike, because I need someone to make me look better.

Awesome. I'm definitely playing TF2 with you then. I'm going to get slaughtered in that game. Maybe I can play as the spy and just play dead for entire rounds.

Daigoro

yeah Steam is acting very wonky for me right now.

i cant load the storefront. the Steam update popup came up blank, and things seem to be running a bit slow in general.

i just got a popup notification for some sort of client update though. im sure theyre working on it, we've been getting lots of little updates and fixes recently, probably from them switching over from the beta.

Wes said:
I have no friends ;;

me either and ive been a member since Jan 28, 2005. :lol

im trying to add you now if i can find you. the're a bunch of Wes' though. edit: i found your Gimatti icon, adding you now. edit2: hey, ive been duped you have friends on your list! oh well. maybe they beat me to the punch.

Joe Molotov said:
I'll be your friend.

Especially if you're really bad at Counter-Strike, because I need someone to make me look better.

oh, you want me as a friend then for sure. though i have been playing a decent amount in the last few weeks, so im getting a little better.

AstroLad said:
Awesome. I'm definitely playing TF2 with you then. I'm going to get slaughtered in that game. Maybe I can play as the spy and just play dead for entire rounds.

ive been wanting to add you too (since we've played before in the WE league), but havent been able to fine AstroLad in the search feature. maybe its working better now, ill search again. edit: found you. the search feature must be working better now, you came right up.

Top Bottom