• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

bathsalts

Controller pretty much stops working. Seems to only do that in big picture mode. Wonder if its a problem with Win 10 or the Logitech profiler.

Im guessing WIn 10, though Im kinda nervous to restart my pc and have things stop working, I'll leave it on for another month i suppose. Really enjoying just surfing the web with the thing at the moment, not a fan of using trackpads on a laptop at all but this is working nicely for me.

It is the same under controller support where you can test everything, or do settings matter there?

Yeah, I've noticed that the "Support" menu doesn't seem to register the other edge of the right track pad for me either, even though the left one registers just fine. But so far it seems to work just fine in all the game's I've tested, so it seems to be just something about that menu.

AJLma

First big beef with the controller: The edges on the right touchpad are a deadzone. Once your finger is running around the rim of the pad, there is no movement, huge problem in my opinion for FPS games.

Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Okay, this is with Mouse simulation mode, with Joystick mode it doesn't do this. Only problem here is there are so many joystick options to tweak.

Man I'm so glad I got some time to put into this tonight. Stuff I played:

Rocket League: Perfect, but not really hitting any of the unique features.
Cities Skylines: Surprisingly accurate in trackball mode. Got used to the thumb motion within minutes.
MGS V: Awful. Cannot dial in a good setting for trackpad aim in either joypad, trackball or mouse emulation mode.
Dishonored: Excellent once I'd tweaked sensitivity and set trackball friction to medium.

Absolutely loving it thus far. Feels very much like a first wave of design, but there are moments where this thing really shines. FPS games in particular are a cracking halfway house between mouse and stick accuracy, which feels great once you adjust.

It's... interesting. After using it for about 30 minutes I can say that it definitely has the potential to be significantly better than an analog stick controller for FPS's, but it will never be able to approach the precision of a mouse. It just has less surface area to work with, and my thumbs are big. There's no way I'd ever be as precise as I could be with a mouse.

Still, with couch gaming, this could be a significant improvement over an analog stick controller. Just waiting for more solid configs to come out. I'm too lazy to create my own.

kinn

Yeah ive tried rebooting pc and the controller. Even tried different games but nk joy. I can feel and hear the haptics on the left trackpad and the analogue stick and even the left trigger. But nothing on the right side. Did the firmware update when prompted on first connection.

Yeah its defo borked, Dammit!

How do I request a replacement? Its not clear on Steam!

Nzyme32

Yeah its defo borked, Dammit!

How do I request a replacement? Its not clear on Steam!

Head over to the support page via controller.steampowered.com then click on the most relevant troubleshooting issue. At the bottom of that should be a light blue "contact us" button. I assume that does the work. You could also try emailing the hardware folks via the email in the OP, and they may sort you out

deadfolk

No matter what I try on Assassin's Creed 2. The right touchpad does not move the camera. Anyone have any tips regarding this issue?

I set it up as wasd/mouse and selected 2-button mouse in-game. I remapped the pad buttons to match the 360 layout, but using the keyboard mappings for the equivalent keys. I will try to upload it tomorrow, once I've had a chance to test it more.

I haven't decided if I want to buy this thing. I already have an xbox one controller, but I'm debating getting the steam controller as yet another alternative control device. Most of the positive impressions are usually something like a certain game controlled notably better and that is appealing to me.

Has anyone tried Xcom yet?

Tobor

The only issues I'm having so far is with games where I'd already monkeyed around with the settings prior to this controller. My Euro Truck bindings were all messed up. Resetting to default and going from there helped.

Maaan. Wish I had waited a while to get my hands on one of these before ordering one. The tiny, squishy and awkward to press ABXY buttons feel like something from a bad iOS controller and the bumpers are somehow as bad as the (original) Xbone controller, challenging to use from a natural position.

I haven't set it up yet so I guess the mapping and the feedback on the pads could be cool, but I can't imagine I'm going to come out liking this thing when you can tell it fails some of the basics the first time you pick it up.

Nzyme32

I haven't decided if I want to buy this thing. I already have an xbox one controller, but I'm debating getting the steam controller as yet another alternative control device. Most of the positive impressions are usually something like a certain game controlled notably better and that is appealing to me.

Has anyone tried Xcom yet?

Not yet, but Civ V plays wonderfully with it

JoeBoy101

Goddammit! I got my Link today, its working fantastically, but my controller is STILL sitting in Carol Stream, IL with 'No Estimated Delivery Date Available'. I want my Civ 5 comfy couch, you fuckers! Trying to tide myself over with XCom.

Krejlooc

Banned
My dad called me up all excited, he came home to his steam link and steam controller on his door step. I'm stopping by tomorrow to help him set up his HTPC to stream to his Steam Link in the kitchen.

lol my 63 year old father excited about steam products.

Zia

Not sure how to feel so far. It feels cheap, and the glossy trim is disgusting and came out of the box scratched. The haptic feedback is really, really nice but the trackball style movement isn't clicking with me yet. Played some decently adequate Downwell and that was nice. Still up in the air, though.

Also, and I haven't received mine yet so maybe they're not giving it to me because I already own everything, but apparently if you've purchased a piece of Steam hardware and use Steam on a Mac they're giving you the Valve Complete Pack, because nothing works properly with Mac.

Blizzard

Banned
They really hid the range extender well in that impossible-to-open-without-tearing cardboard thing. I thought it was just holding the controller tray up until I realized I was missing a range extender and looked more closely.

Is it not possible to configure the default behavior of the controller when outside of a game? Or to use it like a mouse to control Big Picture, rather than having to use the stick? I haven't really dove into the in-game settings yet, but the out-of-game functionality seems kind of half-baked so far.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is it not possible to configure the default behavior of the controller when outside of a game?

I am in the middle of writing a program to do just that. It's not hard to do, though.

Or to use it like a mouse to control Big Picture, rather than having to use the stick?

I posted a modification a few pages back that does that.

Eh, it'll take a bit for me to figure out how to change the haptic intensity.

But here's a very quick fix for people who want mouse control in BPM

Go to your steam installation folder, then the controller_base folder, and first and foremost make a copy of bigpicture.vdf so that, if you need, you can return to the original bindings.

Now open the original bigpicture.vdf and paste the following into it:

Code:
"controller_mappings"
{
    "version" "2"
    "game" "Steam Big Picture"

"group"
	{
		"id" "0"
		"mode" "four_buttons"

"bindings"
		{
			"button_a" "xinput_button A"
			"button_b" "xinput_button B"
			"button_x" "xinput_button X"
			"button_y" "xinput_button Y"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id" "1"
		"mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north" "xinput_button dpad_up"
			"dpad_south" "xinput_button dpad_down"
			"dpad_east" "xinput_button dpad_right"
			"dpad_west" "xinput_button dpad_left"
		}

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "5000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
	}

"group"
    {
        "id"    "2"
        "mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
        {
            "dpad_north"    "key_press UP_ARROW"
            "dpad_south"    "key_press DOWN_ARROW"
            "dpad_east"     "key_press RIGHT_ARROW"
            "dpad_west"     "key_press LEFT_ARROW"
        }

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "2000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
    }

"group"
    {
        "id" "3"
        "mode" "absolute_mouse"

}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"4"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button RIGHT, Right Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"1"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"5"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button LEFT, Left Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"2"
		}
	}

"group_source_bindings"
    {
        "0" "button_diamond"
        "1" "joystick"
        "2" "left_trackpad"
        "3" "right_trackpad"
		"4"	"left_trigger active"
		"5"	"right_trigger active"
    }
aaaaaa
    "switch_bindings"
    {
        "bindings"
        {
    		"right_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_UP, Mouse Scroll Up"
    		"left_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_DOWN, Mouse Scroll Down"

"button_escape"		"key_press ESCAPE, Menu"
    		"button_menu"		"key_press TAB, Tab"

"button_back_left"	"mouse_button MIDDLE, Middle Mouse"
		    "button_back_right"	"key_press LEFT_CONTROL, Left Control"

}
    }

"settings"
    {
		"left_trackpad_mode"						"none"
		"right_trackpad_mode"						"none"
    }
}

This is just copying the default wasd binding to it, but it'll show you that you can enable mouse control this way.

Blizzard

Banned
I felt like I was going to break the controller putting the batteries in. Since you HAVE to remove the batteries every time they run out, I can imagine that being the first part to break with the little plastic slidey locks.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh man, this feels like the Rift DK2 all over again (configuration difficulty). I don't mind diving in, but people are going to be annoyed at this. Definitely a need for tools like what Krejlooc is working on.

Currently attempting to set up for Star Citizen.

I felt like I was going to break the controller putting the batteries in. Since you HAVE to remove the batteries every time they run out, I can imagine that being the first part to break with the little plastic slidey locks.

I'm worried about the grip trigger area in general. My right one feels like the contacts are worn out - I can get it to click without actually registering any input. Really have to crank on it to get it to register, so I'll be exchanging it.

kinn

Head over to the support page via controller.steampowered.com then click on the most relevant troubleshooting issue. At the bottom of that should be a light blue "contact us" button. I assume that does the work. You could also try emailing the hardware folks via the email in the OP, and they may sort you out

Thanks.

Man, this thing is so strange. Like in a kind of awesome way. My brain is just so conditioned to a regular 360 controller that there is a definite learning curve with getting around with this controller.

Tobor

You young guys who grew up with dual analog sticks may not realize this, but there used to be huge paradigm shifts in controllers like this all the time!

This is the first major change in controllers in almost 20 years! Long, long overdue.

Ill be putting up a full review of this and the Link in a week or two, but i can tell you now, there is some limitations with this controller. There is some good stuff, but its got some limitations.

Wallach

Okay, so I've been putzing around with my Steam controller for about an hour in Elder Scrolls Online.

It's funny, I figured that what I would need to adjust most to was the right pad that emulates mouse, but it's really the left pad. Not having the resistance of keys (i.e. needing a different position for "neutral" and "active" for your thumb, compared to your fingers resting on WASD and the force determining the active state) is what is causing the most of my brain's disruption while adjusting. It's the exact same disruption from trying to play iOS games with on-screen joystick controls, though slightly improved with the haptics.

Using the right pad as mouse input is way more natural than I expected. The only thing I think they need to focus on is getting the deadzone/smoothing settings down to a science, to eliminate the minor jittering/motion when you are attempting to stop at a precise point (just basic stuff like, say, moving your view in ESO to highlight a small object on the ground to interact with).

Build quality seems okay, but not impressive. Reminds me a lot of the Hori FC4 PS4 pad in terms of materials and button action. Analog stick is actually pretty good and is roughly on par with the X1/PS4 analog sticks, though I would have preferred concave to convex. Love the Gamecube-style triggers, the throw is just about perfect to my fingers. The standard button island is definitely kind of awkward right now and will take adjusting to, and I don't imagine I will ever use these buttons for primary inputs in any game. If said game really needs this island for primary input, I will likely use a different controller altogether, as they seem a bit small for that purpose. Back "paddles" are, as the SCUF taught me, quite awesome and need to be on every controller going forward.

I'm not sure yet if I see myself playing something like ESO on the Steam controller over, say, the X1 Elite - but for any kind of primarily mouse-driven low-precision game (like, say, King's Bounty or X-COM) it should be a wonderful experience.

Very pleased so far and am looking forward to exploring it more.

So, is there any game that has specifically great defaults set up?

From the few games Ive played, I found it better to just making your own bindings. I feel like I have a good one made for Ark, but still needs a few improvements. Ill publish at some point under "Ark VGRealms"

You young guys who grew up with dual analog sticks may not realize this, but there used to be huge paradigm shifts in controllers like this all the time!

This is the first major change in controllers in almost 20 years! Long, long overdue.

Yep. I went from Coleco Vision -> NES -> SNES -> GENSIS and the list goes on up until modern times. I remember how weird it was using the SNES controller cause it had shoulder buttons

catabarez

This controller will take a bit to get used to but I am really liking it so far. Is anyone having issues with the non motion Portal 2 config? It sort of drifts when I try to aim.

Krejlooc

Banned
This controller will take a bit to get used to but I am really liking it so far. Is anyone having issues with the non motion Portal 2 config? It sort of drifts when I try to aim.

I've found many people who have problems with accuracy hold their steam controller like this:

bqB9duM.jpg

I explain with animation in my guide why this is bad. It will screw with your aim and your ability to make very fine adjustments. The proper way to hold the controller is what I dub "The ballerina method":

Make sure your thumb comes down to a point on the pad, like a ballerina standing on her tip toes. This greatly improves your accuracy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Don't like how the big picture interface makes you use the analog stick, like an animal. I'm done with that thing.

Krejlooc

Banned
Don't like how the big picture interface makes you use the analog stick, like an animal. I'm done with that thing.

Eh, it'll take a bit for me to figure out how to change the haptic intensity.

But here's a very quick fix for people who want mouse control in BPM

Go to your steam installation folder, then the controller_base folder, and first and foremost make a copy of bigpicture.vdf so that, if you need, you can return to the original bindings.

Now open the original bigpicture.vdf and paste the following into it:

Code:
"controller_mappings"
{
    "version" "2"
    "game" "Steam Big Picture"

"group"
	{
		"id" "0"
		"mode" "four_buttons"

"bindings"
		{
			"button_a" "xinput_button A"
			"button_b" "xinput_button B"
			"button_x" "xinput_button X"
			"button_y" "xinput_button Y"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id" "1"
		"mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north" "xinput_button dpad_up"
			"dpad_south" "xinput_button dpad_down"
			"dpad_east" "xinput_button dpad_right"
			"dpad_west" "xinput_button dpad_left"
		}

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "5000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
	}

"group"
    {
        "id"    "2"
        "mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
        {
            "dpad_north"    "key_press UP_ARROW"
            "dpad_south"    "key_press DOWN_ARROW"
            "dpad_east"     "key_press RIGHT_ARROW"
            "dpad_west"     "key_press LEFT_ARROW"
        }

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "2000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
    }

"group"
    {
        "id" "3"
        "mode" "absolute_mouse"

}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"4"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button RIGHT, Right Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"1"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"5"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button LEFT, Left Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"2"
		}
	}

"group_source_bindings"
    {
        "0" "button_diamond"
        "1" "joystick"
        "2" "left_trackpad"
        "3" "right_trackpad"
		"4"	"left_trigger active"
		"5"	"right_trigger active"
    }
aaaaaa
    "switch_bindings"
    {
        "bindings"
        {
    		"right_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_UP, Mouse Scroll Up"
    		"left_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_DOWN, Mouse Scroll Down"

"button_escape"		"key_press ESCAPE, Menu"
    		"button_menu"		"key_press TAB, Tab"

"button_back_left"	"mouse_button MIDDLE, Middle Mouse"
		    "button_back_right"	"key_press LEFT_CONTROL, Left Control"

}
    }

"settings"
    {
		"left_trackpad_mode"						"none"
		"right_trackpad_mode"						"none"
    }
}

This is just copying the default wasd binding to it, but it'll show you that you can enable mouse control this way.

I feel like this is something to pick up in a year or a few months down the line once the community has sourced all the work, is that odd?

Has anyone tested character action games like MGR, Killer is Dead, or Transformers?

Exactly how I felt putting the batteries in too.

TheRed

So I was really awful at FPS when trying CS GO and Crysis. Then I tried arcade mode in CoJ Gunslinger and I hadn't played that game before but it was so perfect to experiment with sensitivities. I could not only feel like I might be doing better my scores and headshots got way better. I went from 1 star and dying at the beginning of the level. To after like a dozen tries blowing through the level with big combos and getting a 3 star rating. It felt good to improve that much. Still not completely comfortable with aiming but I can see myself getting there now.

I mean, that's cool and all, but if the thing is relying on me to do extrajudicial config modification just to be useful in BPM then it's already kinda failed. Maybe this is unreasonable, but I had the expectation that this thing would make the process of using a PC from the couch -- including getting into, and then navigating, Big Picture Mode -- pleasant, not just be configurable once a game's already running. Why make it work as a mouse outside of Steam if it's only going to work as a mouse badly?

Krejlooc

Banned
I mean, that's cool and all, but if the thing is relying on me to do extrajudicial config modification just to be useful in BPM then it's already kinda failed.

Has it? It's a BPM controller.

Maybe this is unreasonable, but I had the expectation that this thing would make the process of using a PC from the couch -- including getting into, and then navigating, Big Picture Mode -- pleasant, not just be configurable once a game's already running.

How is the process of getting into BPM not pleasant? Just press the steam button, and bam, it pops up.

Why make it work as a mouse outside of Steam if it's only going to work as a mouse badly?

Likely because I and others bugged them about it. They had this function removed weeks ago, until I spoke heavily about my preference for it, when it popped back up the same day.

Worry not, a config utility is coming that'll make this painless.

metalhead79

Neo Member
This may have been answered already and I missed it, but when using gamepad+mouse in Mad Max and Batman Arkham Knight, I can't move the camera while moving but can when stationary.
I messed with the binding but couldn't find a solution. Is this a limitation or am I missing something? Gamepad+mouse is useless if I can't control the camera during movement....

DirtyLarry

Is there another thread for the Link?
I hooked my Link and Controller up just now, worked right away, but I was curious to see if I could get to the desktop of my PC, which also worked right away.
However when I tried to play a video it looked great but there was no sound. so my question is will sound only come from BPM or is there a setting to make Windows sound also come through the Link?

poodaddy

So my wife has recently really gotten into FF14 on PS4 but she says she thinks it'd be a lot funner with a mouse and keyboard over the PS4 controller. So, just out of curiosity, if I got her this would the PS4 detect it as a mouse and keyboard?

Top Bottom