• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't think native support is a good path to go down. This controller should be able to play everything or most stuff on Steam, not just new games. Steam's best feature is it's vast game library, and relying on new and updated games with active devs to make the game have native support goes against that. Crowdsourcing all the games is probably the best solution and I hope it catches on and that sensible configs rise to the top. The amount of ones using the right pad as analog emulation has been disheartening though.

The existence of native support doesn't prevent universal support. There are indeed games with native steam controller support, just like you can use legacy mode for the older, non-compatible games. This is how the controller already operates.

So if I go to a game page of a game like say Cold Fear and check the controller configuration, there are already some binds made in there. However the game has no recommended configs or community configs uploaded. So someone on Valve's side or the testers made that initial configuration that shows up when I went to configurate controller? If so why isn't that labelled/uploaded as a recommended config and why are none of the buttons labeled to what they do?

Some people have played the game and set up configurations, which is why there are community configs. However, the people with the ability to actually set default/recommended configs haven't actually sat down and made sure they work with no problems in-game. Until someone (specific, not just anybody) can verify that, yes, user-made control scheme A works without problem, then the game won't have a default set.

When you see the controller defaulting or recommending a controller scheme, it is because someone at valve has verified it works.

Animal

Banned
I am writing an application that will let you do just that.

Awesome. Is your project on github or something like it?

On another note, Is it possible to have that steam overlay keyboard on the desktop for doing things like typing a web address or into a search field?

Krejlooc

Banned
How do I adjust the haptic feedback strength?

Have you started the specific game yet? If not, under manage game, then under preferences, select "configure controller." Otherwise, in-game, press the steam button, then select "configure controller".

Now, inside the configure controller menu, select either the left or right touchpads (they are on the left and right sides of the screen, near the bottom) or the analog stick (it's second from left on the bottom) and, on the right side of the screen, you should see a field that says "haptic intensity." It's a drop down menu. There are 4 options, low, medium, high, and off.

Krejlooc

Banned
Awesome. Is your project on github or something like it?

Not yet, but I'll throw the source up once it comes along. It just started like... 20 minutes ago.

On another note, Is it possible to have that steam overlay keyboard on the desktop for doing things like typing a web address or into a search field?

Unfortunately no, although someone could write an application that behaves exactly like the steam overlay keyboard that you could launch outside of steam... hm...

regardless, my solution has been to use a built-in on-screen keyboard. Every version of windows since XP has one, and you can download hundreds of them for various desktop environments in linux. In windows, they are usually under start -> accessories -> ease of access -> on-screen keyboard. They don't have the awesome touch-type that the steam overlay has, but it's useful in a crunch.

SMattera

Wow this controller is...horrible.

Worst I've ever used. Seriously. How did this ever get released?

My thumb is in horrific pain after playing Diablo 3 for five minutes. Lets design a controller where you have to keep your thumb in a tight, 90 degree angle. Smart idea guys.

Just got mine, oh yeah! Valve didn't disappoint. Going to try out some Civ 5, Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn, Marvel Heroes 2015, Tales of Maj'Eyal...oh my god this is so cool!

Vinlaen

Have you started the specific game yet? If not, under manage game, then under preferences, select "configure controller." Otherwise, in-game, press the steam button, then select "configure controller".

Now, inside the configure controller menu, select either the left or right touchpads (they are on the left and right sides of the screen, near the bottom) or the analog stick (it's second from left on the bottom) and, on the right side of the screen, you should see a field that says "haptic intensity." It's a drop down menu. There are 4 options, low, medium, high, and off.
Hmmm... I think it's missing for me?

http://imgur.com/JibH537

I've opted into the beta, and the firmware was updated on the controller....

Animal

Banned
Not yet, but I'll throw the source up once it comes along. It just started like... 20 minutes ago.

Cool let me know I might be able to help.

Unfortunately no, although someone could write an application that behaves exactly like the steam overlay keyboard that you could launch outside of steam... hm...

regardless, my solution has been to use a built-in on-screen keyboard. Every version of windows since XP has one, and you can download hundreds of them for various desktop environments in linux. In windows, they are usually under start -> accessories -> ease of access -> on-screen keyboard. They don't have the awesome touch-type that the steam overlay has, but it's useful in a crunch.

I think I see an SDL based project in my future :D

Krejlooc

Banned
Hmmm... I think it's missing for me?

http://imgur.com/JibH537

I've opted into the beta, and the firmware was updated on the controller....

Portal 2? That's a special game which uses a different kind of binding, unfortunately you can't change the intensity at the moment. Try another game.

Cool let me know I might be able to help.

I think I see an SDL based project in my future :D

I am, in fact, using SDL 2.0 for my configuration utility :D

My utility doesn't need to actually interface with the steam controller in any way, though.

Yeah. I don't think this controller is for me. I'm sure it works fine for its intended use for menu based games you can't play without a mouse or keyboard, but as a controller I can't stand it. For the very rare FPS game I do play I'd rather use my regular mouse.

...How great is Valve's return policy?

robotrock

Banned
Yeah. I don't think this controller is for me. I'm sure it works fine for its intended use for menu based games you can't play without a mouse or keyboard, but as a controller I can't stand it. For the very rare FPS game I do play I'd rather use my regular mouse.

...How great is Valve's return policy?

Just send it over to me

Mrbob

Anyone know how much more battery is drained when you raise the haptic feedback level. I'm set to low now, looking at going to medium. High is almost too much.

Is the right track-pad broken for anyone else? When I start on the outer edges it doesn't register AT ALL (left works). If I start more towards the middle and move then out, it works...

This should depend on what setting you have. There are like 5 different trackpad width angles you can choose from.

la_briola

Is the right track-pad broken for anyone else? When I start on the outer edges it doesn't register AT ALL (left works). If I start more towards the middle and move then out, it works...

Cru

When I'm navigating in bpm as soon as I move the thumbstick down it goes crazy and still thinks I'm moving it down even though I've let the stick go.

Nzyme32

I've done several (double digits) fights now in mk9 with both scorpion and raiden. I think it's safe to say it is possible play fighting games with it. Although I still don't feel comfortable. I can land any special move and do the fatalities no problem, but I have to shut off the part of my brain telling me this feels different.

I have changed my tactics since last time. Last time I mentioned using the deadzones very low and just rocking my thumb around. I actually now find it easy to play a bit looser and wonder around the pad when I need to. I set the haptics high and the deadzone three notches above the line. Works great, and I can finally do consecutive teleporting without screwing up like on the ds3 and 360.

Tomorrow I get back to KI and see how I do. Also want to try dark souls and other analogue games

This thing really shines in floating cursor games like Satellite Reign or something like Cities Skylines. I think that those types of games are where this Controller will find it's market, because they are good games to play from a couch but really need mouse control. Though not as fine mouse control as an aiming/shooting game like CSGO.

Krejlooc

Banned
Anyone know how much more battery is drained when you raise the haptic feedback level. I'm set to low now, looking at going to medium. High is almost too much.

I used mine for 2 weeks of near constant, daily use with my haptics always set to high, on every pad and stick, without the battery dying.

Nzyme32

Wow this controller is...horrible.

Worst I've ever used. Seriously. How did this ever get released?

My thumb is in horrific pain after playing Diablo 3 for five minutes. Lets design a controller where you have to keep your thumb in a tight, 90 degree angle. Smart idea guys.

Show us a screen shot of the binding set you are using for Diablo 3. That doesn't sound like any experience I have had thus far

The touchpads should be 2/3rds smaller, and the "click" should be a lot softer, at least for the left one.

I think the touch pads are the right size; any smaller and they would be unusable for me. In many of the FPS games I'm finding slower and fluid swipes help me get really good accuracy for spins, while the fine movement is all there anyway, i'm just not good enough at that bit yet in FPS only. As for the click a little softer would be helpful for fighting and heavy click use, but I quite like it being on the clicky side. What I don't like is the noise, so I have to have headphone or a loud game

Krejlooc

Banned

you are in Joystick Camera mode. This does not treat the right touchpad with absolute values. Meaning the left side of the touchpad, is not the same was tilting the stick to the left. The way this mode works is that wherever you set your thumb down becomes the deadzone, and as you radiate out from that area, it registers analog input. So if you simply touch the left par of your touchpad, then that part is now your deadzone until you lift your finger. Thats why when you start at the middle then move out it works. The mode you want is called "Joystick move" (previously generic gamepad).

Tobor

It's safe to say this is perfect for the first person games I play. H1Z1 needs a few tweaks, but is perfectly playable.

On to Euro Truck Simulator.

la_briola

you are in Joystick Camera mode. This does not treat the right touchpad with absolute values. Meaning the left side of the touchpad, is not the same was tilting the stick to the left. The way this mode works is that wherever you set your thumb down becomes the deadzone, and as you radiate out from that area, it registers analog input. So if you simply touch the left par of your touchpad, then that part is now your deadzone until you lift your finger. Thats why when you start at the middle then move out it works. The mode you want is called "Joystick move" (previously generic gamepad).
It is the same under controller support where you can test everything, or do settings matter there? I see no way to change it there.

Krejlooc

Banned
It is the same under controller support where you can test everything, or do settings matter there? I see no way to change it there.

controller support? No no, to access it, go to your controller configuration screen. To do this, in-game, press the steam button, then go down to configure controller. If you haven't launched the game, then this is under "manage game", then under preferences, "configure controller."

Now, from this screen, select which touchpad you want to change. Since you want to change the camera, you will select the bottom right box. This brings up the right touchpad menu. From here, look for the box that says "style of input." It should be set to "joystick camera." What you need to set it to, is "joystick move" if you want absolute positioning. This is likely not the ideal setting, however. But it is what you are specifically asking for.

The best setting is likely some form of KB&M mapped to the controller. analog sticks and mice work differently. The touchpads aren't very good analog sticks, but they are awesome mice.

SMattera

Show us a screen shot of the binding set you are using for Diablo 3. That doesn't sound like any experience I have had thus far

I think the touch pads are the right size; any smaller and they would be unusable for me. In many of the FPS games I'm finding slower and fluid swipes help me get really good accuracy for spins, while the fine movement is all there anyway, i'm just not good enough at that bit yet in FPS only. As for the click a little softer would be helpful for fighting and heavy click use, but I quite like it being on the clicky side. What I don't like is the noise, so I have to have headphone or a loud game

Using the right pad to control the cursor. Only way to make it sensitive enough is to use the very tip of my thumb which means tucking my thumb into a tight claw grip.

Blizzard

Banned
I just opened the bag. like how it explicitly says "PLAY ALL YOUR STEAM GAMES FROM YOUR COUCH" on the case to emphasize it's comfy-couch compatible.

Krejlooc

Banned
How do I work this with non steam games?

first, add your non-steam game to steam. To do this in desktop mode, you click on "games" in the menu, then "add non-steam game to my library." Alternatively, you can do this within Big Picture Mode by clicking the configuration icon on the home menu (it's the cog in the upper right corner) then going to "add library shortcut."

This will make your non-steam game pop up in steam like a normal steam game. From there, you can configure the controls as though it was a normal steam game.

If you're asking for a way to configure a non-steam game outside of steam... stay tuned. I'm making an application to do just that.

Cru

Apparently my racing wheel is causing issues with the controller. Has anyone else run into something similar?

Krejlooc

Banned
Apparently my racing wheel is causing issues with the controller. Has anyone else run into something similar?

yes, both my Saitek X65 pro flightstick and my G27 racing wheel need to be unplugged for my steam controller to work. The steam controller only seems to get along well with xbox pads, dual shock controllers, and logitec gamepads.

la_briola

controller support? No no, to access it, go to your controller configuration screen. To do this, in-game, press the steam button, then go down to configure controller. If you haven't launched the game, then this is under "manage game", then under preferences, "configure controller."

Now, from this screen, select which touchpad you want to change. Since you want to change the camera, you will select the bottom right box. This brings up the right touchpad menu. From here, look for the box that says "style of input." It should be set to "joystick camera." What you need to set it to, is "joystick move" if you want absolute positioning. This is likely not the ideal setting, however. But it is what you are specifically asking for.

The best setting is likely some form of KB&M mapped to the controller. analog sticks and mice work differently. The touchpads aren't very good analog sticks, but they are awesome mice.

I mean, why is the outer trackpad not working under "controller support" where you should be able to test it. Maybe you are misunderstanding me.

Will test your suggestion tomorrow, I'm still convinced it is broken, tho.

D3RANG3D

I got it working almost flawlessly pre-firmware upgrade, now everything seems less responsive glitchy.

I had 8bitboy set up as:

Left trackpad as the dpad.

Right trackpad as the face buttons

Now it seems to have input bleed where it sees single button press or direction on the trackpad as you pushing the dpad in two different directions, or two different buttons when you only want to hit one button.

On top of that 8bitboy seems to see this as being controlled by either the kb/m or X360 controller and randomly meaning that it refuses to work with my keyset until I restart the game then it works as a controller as in using my config.

I set up KOF985

The joystick as the dpad

Right trackpad as the face buttons

Post firmware the joystick seems less accurate, and it seemingly caused the above issues.

bathsalts

what kind of issues are you having? Ive got my wheel, stick, throttle, orbweaver and 360 pad all plugged in and it seem alright so far, Im on Win 7 and Ive only tried a couple games though.

Nyoro SF

By the way, this works perfectly with PPSSPP when launched through Steam.
Although I normally play in windowed mode, and Steam BPM puts up this incredibly distracting background if I do so, so I have to force the emulator into fullscreen. Lame and I couldn't find a way to turn it off.

Fun times with PSP games that demand multiple controller inputs at once as you can now map them to one button for effortless play.

Krejlooc

Banned
I mean, why is the outer trackpad not working under "controller support" where you should be able to test it. Maybe you are misunderstanding me.

To be honest, I have no idea what you mean by "controller support". This is a menu option? Where is it? I've never used it before.

The answer might be that it's just a section that isn't quite ready yet. You'll run into lots of menus that aren't finished yet. This is really just a wide public beta, the real launch is in november (and even then, expect stuff to still get worked on for a while after that).

Krejlooc

Banned
By the way, this works perfectly with PPSSPP when launched through Steam.
Although I normally play in windowed mode, and Steam BPM puts up this incredibly distracting background if I do so, so I have to force the emulator into fullscreen. Lame and I couldn't find a way to turn it off.

Fun times with PSP games that demand multiple controller inputs at once as you can now map them to one button for effortless play.

You can launch PPSSPP from the desktop client and your controller config will still launch with it. That way you won't have BPM's background distracting you. So configure your controller the way you want it first, then exit BPM, and launch from the desktop client.

Krejlooc

Banned
Your workaround allows the importing of any button config from outside of Steam, but it doesn't help unless people upload configs.

So, uh... Can anyone upload/paste the best Witcher 3 vdf? :x

I would suggest starting a thread, maybe using it as a repository for configs. Get an initiative going :D

Cru

yes, both my Saitek X65 pro flightstick and my G27 racing wheel need to be unplugged for my steam controller to work. The steam controller only seems to get along well with xbox pads, dual shock controllers, and logitec gamepads.

I was worried I had a dud until I unplugged everything.

what kind of issues are you having? Ive got my wheel, stick, throttle, orbweaver and 360 pad all plugged in and it seem alright so far, Im on Win 7 and Ive only tried a couple games though.

Controller pretty much stops working. Seems to only do that in big picture mode. Wonder if its a problem with Win 10 or the Logitech profiler.

WViking87

I received mine today. I have only played Orcs Must Die 2 but I feel that it works very well for that style of game. I am going to try Age of Mythology and Left 4 Dead 2 next.

just got it and plugged it in blind. uh it's weird on keep talking and nobody explodes. and just using it as a mouse it's tricky. probably again, because I didn't read any instructions~

alexbull_uk

My biggest annoyance so far is that if you want to have the gyro enabled/disabled based on a button press, you are limited as to which buttons you can select from.

I really want to be able to set the left trigger to activate gyro mouse, so as soon as I use a scope in a shooter, I go into gyro aiming mode.

Top Bottom