• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

AJLma

with the stick, what overlap settings are you using? You can set it to "off," which feels wierd, or "on" which presents you with 4 cardinal directions + 4 intermediate directions, or "analog emulation" which is exactly what it sounds like. Analog emulation feels pretty good in a number of games.

I'm just saying, I think the d-pad for movement is superior, at least so far in a fast paced game like Ziggurat. I know exactly where my hand is on the pad thanks to the grooves and sliding around it is very graceful.

Krejlooc

Banned
Eh, it'll take a bit for me to figure out how to change the haptic intensity.

But here's a very quick fix for people who want mouse control in BPM

Go to your steam installation folder, then the controller_base folder, and first and foremost make a copy of bigpicture.vdf so that, if you need, you can return to the original bindings.

Now open the original bigpicture.vdf and paste the following into it:

Code:
"controller_mappings"
{
    "version" "2"
    "game" "Steam Big Picture"

"group"
	{
		"id" "0"
		"mode" "four_buttons"

"bindings"
		{
			"button_a" "xinput_button A"
			"button_b" "xinput_button B"
			"button_x" "xinput_button X"
			"button_y" "xinput_button Y"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id" "1"
		"mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north" "xinput_button dpad_up"
			"dpad_south" "xinput_button dpad_down"
			"dpad_east" "xinput_button dpad_right"
			"dpad_west" "xinput_button dpad_left"
		}

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "5000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
	}

"group"
    {
        "id"    "2"
        "mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
        {
            "dpad_north"    "key_press UP_ARROW"
            "dpad_south"    "key_press DOWN_ARROW"
            "dpad_east"     "key_press RIGHT_ARROW"
            "dpad_west"     "key_press LEFT_ARROW"
        }

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "2000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
    }

"group"
    {
        "id" "3"
        "mode" "absolute_mouse"

}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"4"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button RIGHT, Right Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"1"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"5"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button LEFT, Left Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"2"
		}
	}

"group_source_bindings"
    {
        "0" "button_diamond"
        "1" "joystick"
        "2" "left_trackpad"
        "3" "right_trackpad"
		"4"	"left_trigger active"
		"5"	"right_trigger active"
    }
aaaaaa
    "switch_bindings"
    {
        "bindings"
        {
    		"right_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_UP, Mouse Scroll Up"
    		"left_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_DOWN, Mouse Scroll Down"

"button_escape"		"key_press ESCAPE, Menu"
    		"button_menu"		"key_press TAB, Tab"

"button_back_left"	"mouse_button MIDDLE, Middle Mouse"
		    "button_back_right"	"key_press LEFT_CONTROL, Left Control"

}
    }

"settings"
    {
		"left_trackpad_mode"						"none"
		"right_trackpad_mode"						"none"
    }
}

This is just copying the default wasd binding to it, but it'll show you that you can enable mouse control this way.

comrade

Time for a poll:

How do you hold your steam controller?

* Index fingers on the triggers, Middle fingers on the grips
* Index fingers on the bumpers, Middle fingers on the triggers

I was playing MGS5 and doing the second one.

After 30 minutes with my steam controller, I'm optimistic. I played fallout 3 with the kb+m template and set some custom bindings and that process is easy (I used my actual kb+m to move through the interface).
Then I tried MGSV, where I have 100+ hours on a x360 controller. It was nice to see 4-5 community bindings already. One based off the kb+m controls felt best. The right pad is a tad sensitive to start (like a Mac trackpad with the sensitivity too high), but you can adjust it and I imagine as I get more time on it, I might move it back.
I'm now tapping this out on my phone while watching giant bomb play halo 5 in the browser and everything is fine. I can log in to my premium account and videos play great and the interface is good for the controller. I can bookmark sites and manage tabs. The typing interface is new (to me at least, not sure if it's shown up somewhere else), but I'm getting used to it.
I'm looking forward to playing fallout 4 with it. I've wanted analog stick movement with mouse-style aiming for a long time and this is my shot. After 30 minutes, it's a bit clunky compared to an x360 controller but I have thousands of hours with a x360 controller so That's to be expected I guess. It will just be a process of time, community configs, and remapping my brain to the control layout itself. My right finger is naturally swinging up to reach a face button, but now it's down.
I have a link as well, but probably won't set it up until this weekend. My wireless is not great in the room with the tv, so I'm not optimistic but I'm looking at a new router anyway.

Finding that tomb raider has a major delay on the right pad when set as high precision camera. Takes ages for the camera to react to any input. Anybody else had a similar problem?

Edit: switched to m&k bindings and its fixed. A few mods and now I have pullback on the bow and fire mapped to soft and hard pull on the right trigger. Which is very nice!

Dex815

I replayed like half of Portal 2 campaign with the controller.

It may get some time to get used to it. For the most precise clicks like a small target far away, even using the zoom and the gyro I was getting anxious trying to do that click taking me 2-4 seconds for something that would take me 0,5-1 seconds with a mouse. May sound stupid but when this happens often and continuously it can give you that anxious feeling.

Apart from that, I can also see how the precision will most likely never reach the one from a mouse, as often when you do the click with triggers or some other movement, you tend to move a little bit the finger that is on the track. Also taking your finger on and off the track will cause this small shake in your pointer as the surface of your finger is not a single junction point with the track, but more like a circle that gets bigger or smaller while the track tries to figure out which point will follow, causing this small shake (even when using just the tip of the finger).

Precision aside I found a couple of issues with the controller.

1- I had to disconnect my HOTAS and any other gaming related input device, otherwise it would cause problems with the usage of the axis. But I think the culprit of this is Windows and its terrible input devices management, I am used to have this problem if I have multiple devices connected at the same time.

2- I found a weird (and quite worrying) bug or hardware defect. I played most of the time fine but at some point I notice that by leaving my finger on the right track and not moving it (neither the gyro), my view was moving slowly to one side. I made sure that it was not caused by the gyro. Changed to the standard controller profile without the gyro and yup, holding my finger on the track without moving it made the view go bananas just to one side. Tried to turn off and on the controller, nope, still there. Opened the browser of BPM and I couldn't even move the pointer. Close the game, start it again, first check the browser, still not moving at all (just the pointer, the scrolling is fine), and then I check in the game, it is solved, but as soon as I switch the profile again to the one with gyro I can notice it again, and I can reproduce the issue. Looks like is caused by switching profiles or by using the gyro. And the browser looks like never works while in game...

3- How the hell do you turn off your controller after closing the BPM? If you hold your Steam button you go to BPM. If you turn off the controller in the BPM, then you cannot leave as the controller is not working. Of course you can close it with the mouse, but that shouldn't be necessary :(

I hope the second point be a software issue that they can patch with a firmware update. Locked axis by software/hardware failure is the last thing you want in an input device :(

Did someone experienced some similar issue?

d0g_bear

can anyone report on MGSV with this controller? That's basically all I play right now, and it has very complex controls, so I can see it being an issue

3- How the hell do you turn off your controller after closing the BPM? If you hold your Steam button you go to BPM. If you turn off the controller in the BPM, then you cannot leave as the controller is not working. Of course you can close it with the mouse, but that shouldn't be necessary :(

If nothing else, there's an auto shutdown?

kinn

Damn. the haptics to the right trackpad isnt working. Ive tried changing the intensity to high but i feel or hear nothing. Left side is working ok. Same issue with the right trigger.

Have i got a dud?

Damn. the haptics to the right trackpad isnt working. Ive tried changing the intensity to high but i feel or hear nothing. Left side is working ok. Same issue with the right trigger.

Have i got a dud?

Tried rebooting your controller or PC?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I made a public controller config for Viridi but am only able to see private configs. I was prompted that it was public. It would be nice to be able to visually confirm after the fact that my custom config is uploaded.

Qassim

can anyone report on MGSV with this controller? That's basically all I play right now, and it has very complex controls, so I can see it being an issue

Using Krejlooc's config for MGSV, works really well, just need to unlearn 100+ hours of Xbox controller layout to reduce my error rate.

This is the type of thing that the Steam controller can really shine at, I think (games that have controller + kb/m support. Because I feel more comfortable in a game like MGSV with the analogue movement I choose the controller, but aiming with an analogue stick is terrible - this brings the best of both worlds! :D

My initial impressions overall are pretty good, I think it has some rough edges that'll naturally get ironed out over time (more time to develop great community configs, official dev support, etc). I'm quite happy with it overall, initial learning curve was ultra steep for me, but I've gotten over that within the hour I've spent actually using it.

So yeah, give Krejlooc's profile a go, should be one of the most popular ones under the community configurations for MGSV:TPP.

comrade

I was playing it using the profile where the right trackpad is the mouse. I liked it and I only played that game with a controller for about 10 minutes previously and didn't really like it. If you get spotted I think i'd fail horribly with the controller but playing through missions full stealth it was fine.

Dex815

If nothing else, there's an auto shutdown?

Yes that also, but if I am not gonna use it anymore I feel like I am wasting battery for 15 min. (the default value).

Have i got a dud?

That sounds bad :( Did you try to turn it off and on again, or try different games/apps.

Hm, so I plugged it into my Mac first, and I'm having tons of issues. I upgraded the firmware but I still have some weird shit going on. Sometimes "A" button is the select button, sometimes its the bumpers. Worse is that I can't get it to work with ANY game so far. Though, it's just Super Meat Boy and Outland, I set it up in the config, but the controller doesn't respond at all once the game launches.

Hm, so I plugged it into my Mac first, and I'm having tons of issues. I upgraded the firmware but I still have some weird shit going on. Sometimes "A" button is the select button, sometimes its the bumpers. Worse is that I can't get it to work with ANY game so far. Though, it's just Super Meat Boy and Outland, I set it up in the config, but the controller doesn't respond at all once the game launches.

People with Mac are having issues. Opt in to the Steam beta client, they pushed out some fixes tonight.

Krejlooc

Banned
Steamdb.info ?

mm, I don't think they would like me directing traffic to their site to basically scrape for IDs. in fact, their FAQ says as much.

I need a reliable way of matching game titles with steamIDs, and vice versa. Anybody work with steam apps have a suggestion?

Red

Is anyone else having issues launching games from the latest beta client? Delver and Borderlands 2 both crash on startup. Castle in the Darkness has sound but no picture.

I'm annoyed that I can't Mode Shift a trigger (i.e., press RG to change the function of RT). And some of the missing mode shift triggers are frustrating too-- why is it that "Pad Touch" can be used as a Gyro Enable Button, but not as a Mode Shift button? And similarly, the triggers can be used as Mode Shift buttons, but not as Gyro Enable Buttons. I don't see why the list of options couldn't be exactly the same for both.

kinn

Tried rebooting your controller or PC?

Yes that also, but if I am not gonna use it anymore I feel like I am wasting battery for 15 min. (the default value).

That sounds bad :( Did you try to turn it off and on again, or try different games/apps.

Yeah ive tried rebooting pc and the controller. Even tried different games but nk joy. I can feel and hear the haptics on the left trackpad and the analogue stick and even the left trigger. But nothing on the right side. Did the firmware update when prompted on first connection.

Messed around with so far:

Rogue Legacy - Playable, but I wish the buttons were slightly larger and I had a real d-pad.

Pillars of Eternity - Navigating and moving through menus works surprisingly well, but slower than Mouse+KB. I didn't encounter any enemies, but I imagine if one of the buttons was mapped to pause, combat would be definitely be manageable. I'm playing on my monitor and not a TV, so who knows what size television you'd need for text to be readable.

Team Fortress 2 - Couldn't kill anyone for the first 20 minutes. Then I turned the sensitivity up, switched to Demoknight, and I had 12 heads within 5 minutes. Controller almost feels like it was designed for Demoknights. The only annoying thing I encountered is the right bottom bumper is set to taunt. For some reason every time I charged and took someone's head I kept accidentally hitting it and taunting.

I need a 3rd person action game to try out, but I don't want to re-install Dark Souls/II just to try it out.

On another note, there appears to be quite a bit of scalping happening on eBay. I see one controller with a $124 bid.

Interfectum

Not feeling Witcher 3 on this, what's a good config to choose?

Rocket League is ace though. Scoring goals with controller + link. :)

sk3

Banned
Played a few missions of MGSV with the default layout and it was bad. Changing the sensitivity in the game options didn't help at all.

I'll have to try out different layouts and hope for better results.

Why did they make the buttons so dang small?

This is definitely a cool thing. Tried to play some Wolfenstein with it. There was only one controller config and it did not do much, so I tried to do some stuff of my own.

It was super difficult to play with it at first, luckily I was at an easy part in the game. Then I accidentally pressed restart level and had to do a lot of stuff again, but I improved a lot. Although I tweaked a bunch too.

Biggest thing to get used to me are the extra set of buttons on the back of the controller. I keep getting confused how to shoot, but it is improving.

I am having trouble with the face buttons too, but I assume I'm getting used to those.

The problem in Wolfenstein is that the weapon wheel is by default mapped to holding Right Bumper or scrolling with the scroll wheel. Since the right pad behaves as a mouse, that actually doesn't work. Using something for a scroll wheel isn't great, so the plan was to change the behavior of the right pad to the right thumbstick when RB is pressed. And you had the option of using it in a Camera or Move behavior, don't remember which one I chose, but I think it was one with more control over deadzones which was Camera I think.

That kind of worked, although it took a while to get a satisfying scroll wheel, you want it to "snap" fast, playing with the dead zones worked for that.

I kept throwing my grenades wrong though, I figured it was me getting used to the controller. But after some time I realized the aim would be off after pressing RB to throw a grenade. After playing with the deadzones and such it would immediately move the camera way faster when I press RB and it would look from the center. Using that readjusting center doesn't feel nice with the weapon wheel though.

So then I had to go to the Move behavior I think. Took some tweaking and I don't think the weapon wheel feels as nice yet, but it's pretty okay and at least I can throw my grenades.

There is a pretty high learning curve to this controller, but I enjoy the possibilities for the configurations.

Not feeling Witcher 3 on this, what's a good config to choose?

Rocket League is ace though. Scoring goals with controller + link. :)

I just tried Witcher 3 and also thought it wasn't doing well. Controlling the camera with a haptic pad is a chore. I will have to try some other games, but this is not a promising start.

When you have to switch between buttons and pad frequently, the pad seems less than ideal as it is hard to press exactly where you need with twitch control compared to an analog stick.

Buttons also feel too far away for right thumb and they are small. I frequently miss pressed A and B. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it dod not feel natural.

bounchfx

so, playing TF2 for twenty minutes.. not really sure how I like this for multiplayer FPS. I never expected it as a replacement but right now I'd argue that a 360 pad is better for something like TF2. I rebound jump to left bumper so I could actually do that while shooting, but my main problem is that regardless of the sensitivity for the touch pad, whenever I get towards the sides it seems to be really inconsistent with how it recognizes the movement

like, Ill do a steady motion of my thumb moving to the left, but in game it slows down significantly or jitters. it's really jarring for me. I'll try it more later, and play with the settings more but I dont know. I can see how this would be fucking rad for RTS games though.

the buttons are also a little smaller than I expected, but I dont think its a problem

the only other 'issue' is holy fuck my thumb is tired/hurting from using it like that, it's probably agitating my carpal tunnel or some shit

Eh, it'll take a bit for me to figure out how to change the haptic intensity.

But here's a very quick fix for people who want mouse control in BPM
{code}

This is just copying the default wasd binding to it, but it'll show you that you can enable mouse control this way.
Thanks a bunch, so much better.
Did the controller firmware update take ~10+ (still going) minutes for anyone else?
I have had the update screen up for about 15 minutes. Controller is unresponsive. It's directly wired via USB, as well.
Had to wait around 15min as well. It restarted the overlay over and over as if it made several incremental updates. Now it's working just fine.

hepburn3d

Steam beta just got an update. Might fix some peoples issues. If your haptics aren't working try taking the batteries out putting them in again. For some reason that fixed mine.

Need to sleep now. More testing in the morning :)

gJRCsav.jpg

Perfect time for my HTPC to start having issues. Suppose I shouldn't have left it unplugged for the past month after moving everything around.

Okay, this works a lot better on the PC.

I played Portal 2 a little bit, and uh... it's interesting. The haptic does a good job of letting you know how much you're inertia you're exerting.

Dark Souls 2 does not feel good on this at all. With the default 360 layout the right trackpad doesn't work well at all for the camera. It's way too slow and it doesn't operate how you think it would.

I used a configuration that's better, but it's obviously using the trackpad for mouse controls.

Top Bottom