• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I'm torn between this or an Xbox One Controller + Wifi adapter. I just feel like the Steam controller simply doesn't have the compatibility that the xbox one controller does.

Nzyme32

Ok something is majorly wrong tonight. the controller is unuseable in game! Tried to play gta and all the controls are wrong to what I have bound. Try to go to the steam menu and it all Borks out double clicking everything!

No idea what's going on tonight but I can't play gta with it. Other games seem to be ok

Yeah, utterly frustrated with the controller configurator at the moment. I just had an oustanding MGS V Mouse-joystick setup, tried to publish it and got an error message saying it couldn't write to the disk, then it deleted everything I had done and just returned to the default gamepad template, with no way to retrieve it. No idea what happened.

However Mouse-joystick is INCREDIBLE!

I'm torn between this or an Xbox One Controller + Wifi adapter. I just feel like the Steam controller simply doesn't have the compatibility that the xbox one controller does.

Kind of a hilarious statement considering all the genres of game any dual stick controller can not play at all, unless you mean showing you on-screen prompts, which is indeed a valid criticism till there is more native support pushed out rather than just developer bindings which won't give prompts. There is also the Mouse-Joystick option just put out, which solves the biggest issue of dealing with those games that have analogue stick aim but are programmed not to accept a mouse simultaneously. I have no idea exactly how it works, but it works extraordinarily well

Exactly.

The defaults don't fit racing, fighting, platformers, etc. It's just "this is a keyboard and mouse emulation. Have at it! :D!"

It's shocking that for three years Valve has worked on the hardware but didn't even bother to look at genres and go "okay, this is the 'most comfortable for 90% of the base' defaults for people to use as a template for these genres." They just kept redesigning the controller which is alright. But when people boot up a former "no controller support" keyboard and mouse title and are told "what do YOU think works for me?" That's not going to sell people on the controller.

Valve's products seem to be made solely by engineers and no marketing etc guy is touching them. The people who know comfort, out of the box experience is important. Steam, Dota, TF2 and GO are all rough and there's a lots of complaint all the time. Valve relies too much on, asks a lot of their customers. That's why this controller and Steam HW in general won't be a mainstream success, even if they're good products which get better over time.

What's mouse/joystick? A new template?

It's effectively a mouse emulator. There's a good number of games that won't allow mouse and gamepad input at the same time. So when you map a mouse to a gamepad setup on the steam controller there's often a lot of input lag as the game switches from recognizing gamepad to m&k. The mouse/joystick setup fools the game into thinking the right haptic is still a joystick but it behaves exactly like a mouse or trackball and keeps 360 onscreen prompts etc.

And it is beautiful.

It's effectively a mouse emulator. There's a good number of games that won't allow mouse and gamepad input at the same time. So when you map a mouse to a gamepad setup on the steam controller there's often a lot of input lag as the game switches from recognizing gamepad to m&k. The mouse/joystick setup fools the game into thinking the right haptic is still a joystick but it behaves exactly like a mouse or trackball and keeps 360 onscreen prompts etc.

And it is beautiful.

Oh wow, that sounds amazing!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Valve's products seem to be made solely by engineers and no marketing etc guy is touching them. The people who know comfort, out of the box experience is important. Steam, Dota, TF2 and GO are all rough and there's a lots of complaint all the time. Valve relies too much on, asks a lot of their customers. That's why this controller and Steam HW in general won't be a mainstream success, even if they're good products which get better over time.

Agreed. But the thing is: The steam_controller subreddit is like "why are people down on the Steam controller?" Well, it's not like Valve has given mainstream consumers (or people like me that CBA'd to customize it deeply) a good reason to use it beyond "well... it emulates a mouse on Civ to make it easier to play on a couch!"

Valve needs to work on that to convince people.

Nerrel

And it is beautiful.

How have they done this? It sounds like wizardry, and I refuse to believe it.

hepburn3d

Yeah, utterly frustrated with the controller configurator at the moment. I just had an oustanding MGS V Mouse-joystick setup, tried to publish it and got an error message saying it couldn't write to the disk, then it deleted everything I had done and just returned to the default gamepad template, with no way to retrieve it. No idea what

Erghh that sounds annoying as hell. I can forgive it right now cos it's "beta" but when it's working great then goes buggy it's soooo annoying. They're going to have to be so quick with bugs soon as like others have said they can't afford bugs once it's hitting full release.

Really feel for the Valve team though as they're innovating like mad whilst trying to make this whole thing consumer ready. Regardless of how rocky it gets I'm sticking with it as it's worth it.

syko de4d

And it is beautiful.
Man! i want this controller.
Will i be able to buy it on amazon or a gamestop shop in november in germany?

dsk1210

Erghh that sounds annoying as hell. I can forgive it right now cos it's "beta" but when it's working great then goes buggy it's soooo annoying. They're going to have to be so quick with bugs soon as like others have said they can't afford bugs once it's hitting full release.

Really feel for the Valve team though as they're innovating like mad whilst trying to make this whole thing consumer ready. Regardless of how rocky it gets I'm sticking with it as it's worth it.

I agree, it's far from perfect yet, but the software seems to be improving all the time and I am having a ridiculously good time playing through some old games with outstanding (once used to them) control systems.

Exuro

Joystiq not working for anyone else in bpm? Buttons/paddles work but the stick isn't doing anything.

edit: firmware update fixed it.

Is there a list of games with official bindings or native support?

Still haven't managed to make bindings feel as good as portal 2 native for shooting.

hepburn3d

It's all about this grip position. If you can config a game to have your grip like this it's just amazing. Never moving a finger more than a few mm is an awesome feeling

mdx0rZIh.jpg

Jinkies

Agreed. But the thing is: The steam_controller subreddit is like "why are people down on the Steam controller?" Well, it's not like Valve has given mainstream consumers (or people like me that CBA'd to customize it deeply) a good reason to use it beyond "well... it emulates a mouse on Civ to make it easier to play on a couch!"

Valve needs to work on that to convince people.
I go to that sub every other day and didn't see anything like that. They moved to /r/steamcontroller a while ago, btw. Maybe what you saw was in the first couple days of the early bird release, when there was a spat of rage and confusion.

Anyway, there will be millions of Steam Controller users in a year. Some people will complain about the learning curve and go back to an Xbox controller, locking themselves out of certain gameplay experiences. Those people won't really make or break the product, and maybe they'll even come back when a hardware revision is released down the road.

Nzyme32

It's all about this grip position. If you can config a game to have your grip like this it's just amazing. Never moving a finger more than a few mm is an awesome feeling

mdx0rZIh.jpg

Yeah, that tip of your thumb position is the best for the pads. I grip the controller a little lower than what you are showing though. My finger nails are a bit more forward than most folks, so if I was to do it in that position, getting to the low edge of the pads would lead to be scratching the surface of the pad.

The people who wrote this controller off on day 1 should feel so silly. It amazing how much Valve has improved the software in such a short amount of time.

Nzyme32

Pillars of Eternity has started working on Steam Controller support and is on sale, for anyone interested

The people who wrote this controller off on day 1 should feel so silly. It amazing how much Valve has improved the software in such a short amount of time.

Yeah but at the same time it is kind of expected from the mainstream gaming press that haven't followed it's development or even reported on it correctly, putting out final reviews before the actual release date. However there is also fault on Valve for being Valve and doing everything with very little in the way of public direction and explanation in a way that is "traditional" enough for people to pay attention to.

I'm looking forward to where this can go, and the point at which games have multiple "best" solutions ready off the bat

Did sites really do "reviews" for the Steam controller? My god, the thing is 100% more functional now than one day one, those reviews are useless. You're right that Valve has been very weird with how they've (or have not, rather) portrayed the controller. I hope it continues to get coverage, though, I've had people straight up tell me I'm wrong when I tell them the Steam controller is more precise than a traditional dual-analog pad with first-person shooters.

This is how Valve works so it's not surprising but it's awesome regardless. Sucks I have to wait till the 10th to get mine. Can someone sum up all the cool shit they added since release...I've sorta been out of the loop the past couple weeks in this thread.

Nzyme32

The OP is becoming a bit messy with all the updates, so I started removing the older ones and just put the new important stuff or most recent stuff in there.

Did sites really do "reviews" for the Steam controller? My god, the thing is 100% more functional now than one day one, those reviews are useless. You're right that Valve has been very weird with how they've (or have not, rather) portrayed the controller. I hope it continues to get coverage, though, I've had people straight up tell me I'm wrong when I tell them the Steam controller is more precise than a traditional dual-analog pad with first-person shooters.

No, they all did first impressions with a full review coming November 10th. So most should take these changes into account.

Destructoid is one such site that stupidly decided to review it before its launch as if it is a completed product, and also choosing to do so at a time when few users where available to apply solutions to games - http://www.destructoid.com/review-steam-controller-316931.phtml

Khar

The touch menu is a huge improvement for games with quickbars.

I mapped all the numeric keys in Dragon Age: Origins and it works so nicely now in combat.

I have it set up so the right mouse button is the left grip. Squeezing the grip while moving the party with the stick and the right touch pad makes it feel like a third-person action game. Pretty fun!

was checking amazon and went to my open orders, steam controller says now estimated delivery date is December 10 :| y you told me nov10 amazon!? i was hoping to use it with fallout 4. I'm disappointed; i hope they update it and i do get it nov10 still.

hitgirl

Is there a running list of recommended games to check out? That previously had zero controller support? Got my controller and can't figure out anything I want to check out except Morrowind.

I have a silly question, but how do I update the controller? I got it the first time I used it, but ever since when I have the controller turned on and in big picture mode, I don't get a prompt to update.

I have a silly question, but how do I update the controller? I got it the first time I used it, but ever since when I have the controller turned on and in big picture mode, I don't get a prompt to update.

I was just about to post the same question. Do we need to opt into the the Steam Beta to receive the updates before Nov. 10th?

r3n4ud

Once in BPM, you should receive an update prompt. If not, maybe try restating Steam

I was just about to post the same question. Do we need to opt into the the Steam Beta to receive the updates before Nov. 10th?

Yessir!

AppleMIX

Has anyone tried SFV beta with it? How is it?

It can work though a fight stick is still preferred.

I used the D-pad as a touch (not click) and it worked fine.

I would say it is a little better than playing with a xbox one controller.

That being said, it still takes a while to get used to.

FYI, I hope you don't mind, but I emailed them your post two days ago and asked that they consider implementing it. I couldn't believe when I saw the update last night and they actually had.

That's fine. NeoGAF is a public forum, and I can have no qualms about people quoting things I write here, as long as they do not misrepresent the source or context.

Nzyme32

Well, looks like all my controller issues should get solved - by getting a replacement controller since fixes ain't fixing. Can't really complain about Steam support either - they've replied within two days every time to this point. Just hope I can get a fully working controller asap rather than having to wait like the new preorder folk. On the other hand I shouldn't complain since the current Steam Controller functions fine outside of dual mouse and dpad modes.

Well, to be fair, what else to do they do? Not like they're busy answering support tickets :p

I do appreciate the rapidness of updates, however.

Well, like I've said above, I seem to have gotten pretty lucky with Steam Support, not so lucky with the controller, though there is definitely another guy in this thread who has identical issues, so I need to see if things are working out for him.

Nzyme32

The Sims is on Origin, surely the controller doesn't work outside of Steam?

The controller works fine in and out of Steam. You can fully use all the controllers capabilities by adding anything as a non-Steam game via Steam, or making a desktop default via BPM before hand. Read the OP

Top Bottom